Apparently Tom Lynch to Adelaide for Pick 37

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWal
Club Player

Saints43 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:We still do this with GT, now it is RL turn.
Exactly right. GT did what he thought was best to win us a flag. RL did what he thought was best to win us a flag. Neither of them wanted to get anything wrong.
By that logic the Captain of the Titanic was just doing his job as well?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SaintWal wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
SaintWal wrote:I find this as rather stinging hook to Ross Lyon.

Quote from Lynch's manager

"[Crows coach] Brenton Sanderson has spoken to him, and that's been a breath of fresh air."
Glad to see someone noticed that!
I am starting to ask myself, "just how much damage has Ross Lyon done to this club?"

well...we are about to find out i'm afraid.....but it's f****** heaps.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I'm with bigred on this one.
I'm sad to see him go. First round pick. Smart player. Local lad. A real shame. I believe he has the makings of a decent player at afl level.

As usual and for some unknown reason p66 jumps to the defence of lyon.
Fact is tom had an unhappy 3 years at the club. He felt starved of opps and felt the coach never talked to him. In the scheme of things lyon left 5 minutes ago. We are yet to find a replacement. Until we have a new coach we remain in the lyon era. There can be no doubts lynchs desire to leave and departure occurred during lyons watch and as a reult of it.

I think it is reasonable to judge lyon on the state of the list he left compared with the one when he arrived. I'd say he left it in worse shape.

But I will agree with p66 that once a new coach is appointed its time to move on and then we can stop blaming lyon. Which gives us two days to bag the crap out of the sonovabitch. :lol:
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Fri 14 Oct 2011 4:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saints43
Club Player

SaintWal wrote:
Saints43 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:We still do this with GT, now it is RL turn.
Exactly right. GT did what he thought was best to win us a flag. RL did what he thought was best to win us a flag. Neither of them wanted to get anything wrong.
By that logic the Captain of the Titanic was just doing his job as well?
Did GT or RL sink the ship? Don't think so.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Was worth more to us than pick 37. Good skills, smart player and still physically developing. Didn't do too badly in the seniors this year given his extremely limited opportunities. I guess the issue for the future was that we don't have any spots available at half back and Siposs is basically locked in as the third tall/medium forward. Still would have prefered that we hang onto him and give him a crack at half back if Gilbert and Raph continue to be inconsistent

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
perfectionist wrote:Swapped a dud for pick 37. The worst that can happen is that we get another dud.
Correct.

Shame some nuffies don't understand that!
So you're suggesting that anyone who thinks Lynch isn't a "dud" is wrong and therefore a "nuffie" are you?
Have you ever gotten anything wrong in your life and if so does that also make you a "nuffie", whatever you think that is?

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SaintWal wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SaintWal wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:

"[Crows coach] Brenton Sanderson has spoken to him, and that's been a breath of fresh air."
I am starting to ask myself, "just how much damage has Ross Lyon done to this club?"
Dont get these comments at all. RL has gone so what has he got to do with Lynch. Or are people saying Lynch didnt know he had gone. We still do this with GT, now it is RL turn. If anything happens from now on it is RL fault. My guess is he wanted to go but I am also guessing Pelchan had bugger all interest in him staying.
I think you are right Plugger he did want go. Joining the dots would you think the managers comment could be a reflection of how Tom felt he was treated by Ross Lyon? :cry:
But why leave now then?

Lyon is gone.

This revisionist history of Lyon is starting to give me the tom tits.

Lyon was an authoritarian see you next tuesday.

That will upset people.

What he did do was give us two shots at a flag two years in a row.

That is all that matters. You take your shots when you can.

SC and player disenfranchisement was bound to happen.

You have to ask yourself was the two GF shots worth the risk of what could happen which has been minimal so far, Lynch, if you belive the inferences and a couple of pissed off delistings.

I reckon the risk was well and truly worth it.

Give me a shot at a GF any day rather than happy but mediocre finishes to season.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:Was worth more to us than pick 37. Good skills, smart player and still physically developing. Didn't do too badly in the seniors this year given his extremely limited opportunities. I guess the issue for the future was that we don't have any spots available at half back and Siposs is basically locked in as the third tall/medium forward. Still would have prefered that we hang onto him and give him a crack at half back if Gilbert and Raph continue to be inconsistent
Agree. He was extremely stiff to break that finger or thumb after the West Coast game, where he did perfectly well up forward, otherwise things could have turned out very differently for him. If he'd played again the next week and gotten some continuity he could have gotten on a roll, but after that he would then just get a game here and there and then get subbed off and I can hardly think of a worse way to have to find your feet in an AFL team. I won't be at all surprised if he plays 150 games for Adelaide, if they have a suitable spot available across half back next year.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Fri 14 Oct 2011 5:02pm, edited 2 times in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I'm with bigred on this one.
I'm sad to see him go. First round pick. Smart player. Local lad. A real shame. I believe he has the makings of a decent player at afl level.

Fact is tom had an unhappy 3 years at the club. He felt starved of opps and felt the coach never talked to him. In the scheme of things lyon left 5 minutes ago. We are yet to find a replacement. Until we have a new coach we remain in the lyon era. There can be no doubts lynchs desire to leave and departure occurred during lyons watch and as a reult of it.

I think it is reasonable to judge lyon on the state of the list he left compared with the one when he arrived. I'd say he left it in worse shape.

But I will agree with p66 that once a new coach is appointed its time to move on and then we can stop blaming lyon. Which gives us two days to bag the crap out of the sonovabitch. :lol:
Facts are RL has gone so if Lynch was unhappy with not getting a game then surely he is now happy that RL isnt our coach. So he leaves. That to me says we had bugger all interest in keeping him.

SaintWal
Club Player

JB it was absolutely worth the risk. True to life though you only start to uncover the truth once the person is gone.

Was it worth a risk? Absolutely. Could it have been done better? Yes

Learn from your errors, and maybe that is why Pelshen is really there to ensure a totalitarion coach cannot do it again to the club. Thomas, now Lyon.

markp
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
SaintWal wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SaintWal wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:

Dont get these comments at all. RL has gone so what has he got to do with Lynch. Or are people saying Lynch didnt know he had gone. We still do this with GT, now it is RL turn. If anything happens from now on it is RL fault. My guess is he wanted to go but I am also guessing Pelchan had bugger all interest in him staying.
I think you are right Plugger he did want go. Joining the dots would you think the managers comment could be a reflection of how Tom felt he was treated by Ross Lyon? :cry:
But why leave now then?

Lyon is gone.

That will upset people.

You have to ask yourself was the two GF shots worth the risk of what could happen which has been minimal so far, Lynch, if you belive the inferences and a couple of pissed off delistings.

Give me a shot at a GF any day rather than happy but mediocre finishes to season.
This.

A bounce of the ball away from 2 flags, we chose not to re-sign him on a 4x$650k deal when he sought it.... but now it's "Ross Lyin stole xmas and killed Bambi".

We've been told players will be going (in large part because of SC pressure)... we made a trade this guy (almost as good as the offer we got for Ball), he never looked like setting the world on fire... but it's all Lyon's fault, boo-hoo.

SaintWal
Club Player

markp wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
SaintWal wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SaintWal wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:

But why leave now then?

Lyon is gone.

That will upset people.

This.

A bounce of the ball away from 2 flags, we chose not to re-sign him on a 4x$650k deal when he sought it.... but now it's "Ross Lyin stole xmas and killed Bambi".

We've been told players will be going (in large part because of SC pressure)... we made a trade this guy (almost as good as the offer we got for Ball), he never looked like setting the world on fire... but it's all Lyon's fault, boo-hoo.
As commented to JB, more than happy that RL gave us a shot but if he did shoot Bambi I am going to be really peed off.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

degruch wrote:
SainterK wrote:Renouf went to Port for pick 33, and he has a shiny medal in his pool room.
37 for Lynchy doesn't look so bad in comparison. Too bad pick 13 turned into pick 37 after 3 years, but that's what happens I guess...less injuries, better form and a debut against anyone else but Fletcher, it may have been different......
Yes that's the problem, Lynch at DP 13 - develop/pay him for 3 years, and his value goes down to DP 37. Saints lose out.

Yet with Brooks it went the other way, Brooks to Port at DP 15 - spends a year in the SANFL reserves, and somehow his value went up, Saints paid ~ DP 8 + 35 (6 + 33) :shock: Ended up delisting him for zero I think.
Need to win these deals more...

Guess they wanted to cut their losses, would have liked them to get a higher DP, another in the 30's from Rich/Adel, or mid-range player for Lynch
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Fri 14 Oct 2011 5:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stand your ground :shock:
realdeal
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I'm with bigred on this one.

Facts are RL has gone so if Lynch was unhappy with not getting a game then surely he is now happy that RL isnt our coach. So he leaves. That to me says we had bugger all interest in keeping him.
and if Lynch was given more games then people would've complained someone else didnt get a fair run.

According to some we should've been playing Lynch, Walsh and Stanley every chance we got. Silliness.

Swapping Lynch for pick 37 isn't great but he wasnt worth being picked so high in the first place so really its our own fault. He may play some games for the crows and he may not. I don't really see us missing him at all.. Good luck to him though.

ace
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Disappointing pick 37.
Either recruiters got this one very wrong in making him 1st rounder or the future will show RL did not provide him the opportunities to prove his worth at senior footy.

Not sure whic way it will go
Recruiters very wrong but
Connors is probably telling him he is a superstar worth $600,000 a year.
Trading him saves us from another Ball fiasco.
Just glad to have one less Connors player in our stable.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Guess he wanted to go....
The St Kilda Football Club wishes Tom Lynch every success in the future. Tom has made a great contribution to the Club during his time here and we thank him for that."

"Tom made us aware that he wanted to make the move to Adelaide and that was facilitated through this three way deal with the Crows and the Tigers."

saintly
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
SaintWal wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:

what makes you say that?

savatage
SS Life Member

saintly wrote:
stinger wrote:
SaintWal wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:

what makes you say that?
His nervous system, no fact involved of course.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

elvis lives wrote: and too right people will f-ing whinge if/when he succeeds at the crows.
If people aren't whinging about Lynch then they'll find something else to whine about.It goes with barracking for the Saints, i mean how frustrating is trade week, it's like watching paint dry and when the club doesn't have any money to play with it's even worse....

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Really poor trade.....we dont even have an Idea if he was any good....I honestly think he could really play....very smart player....

prefer the ball in his hands off HB than gilbert, Raf or Blake....

It would be like trading armitage at the endo of 09 for pick 35

battye
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Really poor trade.....we dont even have an Idea if he was any good....I honestly think he could really play....very smart player....

He's had limited opportunities yes; but he hasn't shown anything when given those opportunities (in my opinion). Siposs, Cripps etc made an immediate impact; not splitting games wide open but enough to suggest that they will be capable of it one day. Jack Steven started his career in the same way, and now that he's in the midfield I think he is really beginning to influence matches. When Armitage is playing in the centre I reckon he does too... pretty difficult to do much when you're playing defensive half forward flank though which he has been doing lately for some reason. I think. it's unlikely that Lynch is in the Steven, Armitage mould (of potentially influencing matches). Probably pick 35 or whatever we got won't be either but only time will tell.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
gringo
Saintsational Legend

It is really hard to say how good he will be. Adelaide may have got one of Pelchens slips but he may not. We overstocked on Mid sized forwards and he was the one to show the least in the time. First round draft picks often get longer to show something but Pelchen doesn't give too much leeway. I would say we are after a ruck still and hopefully he has some beanpole at the Barnawatha FC lined up with pick 37 or a rookie spot.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I reckon he did do enough to suggest he has something.....he found the ball easier than Arryn....I have watched him closely at Sandy and he has impressed me with his work as a hit up mid and as a HB...

The drafting of Gamble was stupid last year......Lynch should have played every game Gamble did....

Why was Ross just not willing to put faith in a kid for an extended period??

even drafting Polo was pointless.....his ability was well known after 75 games at Richmond....he was unable to get a gig in a tiger jumper...

much prefer if A Smith or Wimar play instead of him.....they would be a senior season more advanced if they were...

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Really poor trade.....we dont even have an Idea if he was any good....I honestly think he could really play....very smart player....

Except they all want to be at St Kilda still, he doesn't.

So we move on.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

Except they all want to be at St Kilda still, he doesn't.

So we move on.
Ahh, it's me old mate common sense. Welcome to the thread :wink: