Raph

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
saintdooley wrote:
skeptic wrote:
saintdooley wrote:
skeptic wrote:I think he's a much better defender then Gwilt...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol
explain to me why he isn't?

Raph is better in the air
more accountable
covers more space
Smarter
wins more contested ball

Gwilt is a better disposer of the ball and cleaner with his hands and more composed

and :lol: :lol: :lol: is hardly a convincing argument

lets hear either of you two guys make an argument
who ever said i was arguing? i was just laughing.
you are ridiculing but if you don't want to actually engage in a debate despite sharing an opinion... well I'll survive

This guy does not have a future at AFL level. Yes i have seen some good things from him, but far too many of the bad. His decision making under pressure is very poor. and even when there is no pressure he will manage to turn it over and sometimes cost us a goal. Yes we all make mistakes, but he makes far too many to still be in an AFL team.

Think about it, What other club would Raph get a game at? Port? Lions? GWS? possibly, but thats because they are all s*** would just suit him perfectly. Clubs that are serious and have a future, Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood would not even touch him with a 10 foot stick.

Will Raph Clarke ever lead us into a Grand Final and possibly our second premiership? the answer is no. What the club has to do is work through the list and really ask themselves if this player has the potential to be a premiership player, if not, no second thoughts, just show them how to use the door. I think the ones at Seaford are now electronic so shouldnt be too hard for him to figure out.

He's been at the club now for about 7 or 8 years? and has next to nothing to show for it. its time to move on. just admit it.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:This guy does not have a future at AFL level. Yes i have seen some good things from him, but far too many of the bad. His decision making under pressure is very poor. and even when there is no pressure he will manage to turn it over and sometimes cost us a goal. Yes we all make mistakes, but he makes far too many to still be in an AFL team.

Think about it, What other club would Raph get a game at? Port? Lions? GWS? possibly, but thats because they are all s*** would just suit him perfectly. Clubs that are serious and have a future, Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood would not even touch him with a 10 foot stick.

Will Raph Clarke ever lead us into a Grand Final and possibly our second premiership? the answer is no. What the club has to do is work through the list and really ask themselves if this player has the potential to be a premiership player, if not, no second thoughts, just show them how to use the door. I think the ones at Seaford are now electronic so shouldnt be too hard for him to figure out.

He's been at the club now for about 7 or 8 years? and has next to nothing to show for it. its time to move on. just admit it.
Interesting change of tact

The contentious topic here was whether or not he was a better defender than Gwilt and on that point, I still reckon he is.

He closer checks his opponent whereas Gwilt on numerous occasions this year was found wanting in that department. Especially against Essendon where the bomber's consistently directed their forward thrusts through Gwilt's opponent who often marked on the lead.

Raph is also harder working and tends to cover more space. And he is better over head. Both as a mark and his ability to spoil.

Do you dispute any of the above.

I also think he is cleaner at picking the ball up from the ground, especially in contests and can generally read the play better.

Gwilt on the other hand has much much cleaner disposal and generally tends to be more composed (although I felt he butchered the ball under pressure a lot more this season... but so did every one).

He is by far a more well rounded player than Raph whose offensive capabilities are far too infrequently shown.

You tend to rant a bit in your response but I'll discard the garbage as best I can

Raph's development through many factors, stalhed in the early part of his career mainly through injury possibly secondary to the fact that he didn't work hard enough to get his body right (as Big Mart has suggested) or maybe other factors.

Throw in the combination of that in context of the the saints failing to identify a good position/role for him and you have a player that had a very average first 5-6 seasons.

Over the last 2 years however there has been marked improvement.

He is a good defender and he has been steadily developing the offensive part of his game. Yeah he tends to get caught holding the ball now and then and occasionally shanks a kick but so do a lot of others in the AFL. The question is does he make up for it in other ways and the clear answer is yes.
He had several really good games this season. And yes some stinkers too.

Why would you get rid of him now whilst he's finally starting to produce?

Your comment about him having nothing to show for 7-8 years is cr@p. He's held his spot through the most part from 09-11 in a strong team... by all reports (as reported here) his team mates rate him highly and he performed very well in the second half of the season. He strung a really good number of games together b4 having a stinker vs the Swans.

Will Raph ever lead us to a grandfinal??? He may not be a star but neither will most players outside the clubs top 10... ridiculous argument.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Gwilt is far superior to Raph in every facet of the game. Comparing them and trying to mount an argument is embarrassing.

LondonSaint
Club Player

No, raph will not lead us into a grand final... a team needs to have a core of stars, supported by consistent GOP players and good youth.. now which category does Clarke fit in? he definitely no star, is inconsistent (injury prone, and has frequent brain fades) and for someone who's a round pick and have been around for 8 years.. is simply not good enough..

Seriously though, can't blame raph.. can only blame the person that picks him week in week out.. i can't believe he lasted this long.. in an elite team (geelong for example). he would have been cut after the 2nd year. We tend to hold on ordinary players for way to long. List management/Recruiting/Development have been sorely lacking i'm afraid.. hopefully Chris Pelchen can change that.

Mokester12

Raph did lead us into a grand final. Watch the 2009 prelim. Some people have short memories. Other people just see what they want to see.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Little Dozer wrote:Gwilt is far superior to Raph in every facet of the game. Comparing them and trying to mount an argument is embarrassing.
what a ridiculous comment

who is a better mark for a start?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Raph vs Gwilt is an interesting debate. Different types of players: I'm a pretty big fan of both of them. Gwilt has lovely skills and is tough and confident. Raph is less confident, but he gives his all and does a lot of important team things in a game that many fans do not recognise. He is a very underrated player IMO: he looks extremely inept, but looks can deceive. Our team generally lacks forward thrust coming out of defence and much-maligned guys like Gram and Raph have provided much of it (as did Gwilt before he got injured).

It will be a shame IMO if the club ditches Raph. But, as he seems to be so unpopular with many of our fans, perhaps it will be a relief to all concerned.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:You know, over here in the US of A, seeing the staggering number of people sleeping rough under bits of cardboard, kids with signs saying they have no money for food and even one guy with a sign saying "I will tell the truth. I just want enough money to buy a beer" - and particularly when you are here to address an economic seminar - and I do savage the pin stripes and the balance between markets and government, arguing for stronger regulation to right that balance and for better management of public finances than the political point scoring we see today - savaging also the TEA Party rump of the GOP as a danger to humanity, the responses of Shadow are irrelevant in direct inverted proportion to the dynamic of Time Square.

Mind you, to follow this site as an "authoritive site" on what is actually happening during Trade Week and as it impacts on St Kilda is sadly disappointing.

Incidentally, is Watson now confirmed as Australia's premier cricketer, with the bat, with the ball and in the field?

When all you can do is mis-represent and rely on a one line attack, significantly relying on personal attack, then confirming you can not comprehend and, accordingly, can not entertain or maintain the tenants of debate on points raised, you will never get anything right.

My view is and remains that, to improve as required, St Kilda needs to move past Milne and his "party tricks" to mid-sized footballers who bring pace and flexibility to the roster.

That is my considered view.
The riddler is back. Yes Watson is now one of our best bats but some person said he was our best bowler last year. He certainly isnt our best bowler and never has been and certainly wasnt when you mentioned it. By the way how many times have you seen Cahill play. I will have a guess and say one or two at the most but all of a sudden he passes Milne. You are joking surely. Well please at least tell me you are? Are you in the USA on a trip paid by a sponsor you couldnt continually say no to?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

When has Raph ever been running third in our B&F after 12 rounds???

Gwilt is stronger overhead

He has played on Barry Hall, Adam Goodes, Chris Dawes, James Podsiadley and more....

Has Raph ever done that......actually besides being third up and punching I dont recall Raph winning any one on one contests....

Raphs best footy has been as a loose running back....and being third up...

Gwilt has generlly played as an actual defender

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:When has Raph ever been running third in our B&F after 12 rounds???

Gwilt is stronger overhead

He has played on Barry Hall, Adam Goodes, Chris Dawes, James Podsiadley and more....

Has Raph ever done that......actually besides being third up and punching I dont recall Raph winning any one on one contests....

Raphs best footy has been as a loose running back....and being third up...

Gwilt has generlly played as an actual defender
Pretty close to the mark.

Gwilt is a better defender than Raph.

Gwilt has improved and the persistence has paid off (although many wanted him delisted on numerous occasions).

Raph just hasn't come on. He wont get any better IMO. An excellent VFL player and at times plays well in the AFL but really too inconsistent.

And I am just heartily sick of the ignorant abuse he cops from supposed saints fans at every game.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
lefty
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
lefty wrote:There is a reason y ppl get angry at raph clarke, hes too inconsistant, can play really good or really bad. Secondly, always gets run down, you dont need ur teammates to tell u, the crowd already does. Its like groundhog day, how many times do u need till u learn? People use to bag dempster but not this year, he worked hard and played well, made little mistakes and was very solid. Now a very important player, raph needs to take a leaf from dempster
Do you really think a player should react to the crowd? If you do you've obviously never played sport, at any level.
Yea, obviously I haven't been playing football for 16 years :shock:

Sure, your teammates are #1 to talk to you, but the crowd is your 2nd voice, they already tell you your hot/kick it.

In Etihad theres no reason why Raph cannot hear the farkn crowd/tone of the stadium rise.

In not saying to rely on the crowd, your teammate is #1, the crowd is when your teammate's aren't doing their job and are #2, unless you have good awareness/confidence/straight forward thinking which Raph never has.

In the end of the day, someones got to give/go.
You've got Ray, Raph, Zac, Blake?, Dempster.. either they all take big pay cuts to stay, or some will have to leave.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Mokester12 wrote:Raph did lead us into a grand final. Watch the 2009 prelim. Some people have short memories. Other people just see what they want to see.
and the following week? when it actually mattered. You would of thought it was almost impossible to get run down and caught holding the ball, but some how he managed to do it! opening minutes, cost us the first goal. Oh but we all make mistakes i guess...?
skeptic wrote:
Little Dozer wrote:Gwilt is far superior to Raph in every facet of the game. Comparing them and trying to mount an argument is embarrassing.
what a ridiculous comment

who is a better mark for a start?
Just give up mate. Please, dont bother. People are laughing at you.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

yeah I'm going to give it up for a guy that actually can't back up his own opinion

what a super hero you are

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:yeah I'm going to give it up for a guy that actually can't back up his own opinion

there is no need to back anything up. Go out and ask anyone from the public who does not go for st.kilda if they rate Raph Clarke. Most will choke on their saliva.

And pleaee, your too kind. I am no super hero....although if you compare me to raph i guess i am.

To the top
SS Life Member

So some faunicated moron advises us to go out and ask anyone who does not follow St Kilda what they think of Clarke!

No doubt these non St Kilda followers attend every St Kilda game even tho they do not follow St Kilda!

Perhaps you could also ask these non St Kilda followers what they think of Riewoldt and Milne - because they incite far more reaction from opposition supporters than does Clarke.

And, in terms of Clarke, it was obviously not noted that Clarks was often given the job on opposition ruckmen dropping forward - giving away height and weight but never being beaten.

The NM match and them attempting to stretch our defence was but one example of who we gave the match up to.

Looking at the match ups the immediate thought was that we were badly exposed on the issue of weight and height - but it never harmed us.

The other fact is that Clarke also took the quick, incisive forwards - and it was notable that their lead up marks were almost exclusively obtained outside the 50 metre mark and not in range of goal.

That said, I trust that Watters knows what he is in for from the rabid St Kilda "supporters" who judge everything by the average of 2 goals a game measurement.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:
skeptic wrote:yeah I'm going to give it up for a guy that actually can't back up his own opinion

there is no need to back anything up. Go out and ask anyone from the public who does not go for st.kilda if they rate Raph Clarke. Most will choke on their saliva.

And pleaee, your too kind. I am no super hero....although if you compare me to raph i guess i am.
There you go again ya cheeky little bugger. Can you please put some of your insight into one of our banners. A funny rhyming piece about how s*** Dawson, Clarke and Kosi are. Go on.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
saintdooley wrote:

There you go again ya cheeky little bugger. Can you please put some of your insight into one of our banners. A funny rhyming piece about how s*** Dawson, Clarke and Kosi are. Go on.
Kosi up forward
Raph down back
Dawson's in the team
are our selectors on crack?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:
gringo wrote:
saintdooley wrote:

Kosi up forward
Raph down back
Dawson's in the team
Ask and ye shall receive...... :lol: :lol:

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
gringo
Saintsational Legend

actually not bad, and some question the private school system.

Sainterman
Club Player

saintdooley wrote:
gringo wrote:
saintdooley wrote:

Kosi up forward
Raph down back
Dawson's in the team
I have to say that did give me a laugh even if I don't agree with the sentiment.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Saintdooley... I'll apologise for the superhero crack... am doing night shift at the moment and it's left me a bit grumpy. It does frustrate me though when people don't actually back up what they say... especially when they're ridiculing.
I don't get why you'd express an opinion on a forum but not actually enter the discussion... but that's neither here nor there.

Back on topic

Marto, I don't agree that Gwilt is better overhead. Your argument about Gwilt playing on Hall, Pods etc is flawed IMO because Gwilt is a bigger bodied player and tends to play on slower forwards in lieu of the fact that he's not particularly great spoiling leading players.

Raph in comparison is not a similar type of defender, He tends to play more on your athletic talls. What he is not, is a KPP. Guys like the players you've mentioned would simply push him off the ball 1:1

That doesn't make him a better or worse defender than Gwilt as they're different types of backmen.

The comment that irked me (not from you) is that Gwilt is better in every facet of the game then Raph... that's simply not true. Raph is much better in a pack situation both in the air and getting his hands on the ball... without a shadow of a doubt Gwilt (of the two is the one whose hands you want the ball in).

Personally IMO, as a defender we tend to overrate Gwilt's 1:1 work because he gets a lot of help courteousy of the amazing defence set up we have had going in recent years.

Don't get me wrong... I'm far from acknowledging the defiencies in Raph's game which are:
- he's mentally weak
- he looks like he could pull a quad in any given minute
- he has extreme difficulty adjusting to the pace of the game esp early in matches
- his decision making can be poor
- disposal can be hit and miss
- has failed to develop the attacking part of his game

Contrary to that however are his positives
- his work rate is fantastic on the ground... he covers a lot of space and gets to a lot of contets
- extremely team focused
- collects the ball very well
- whilst his decision making is poor... for the most part his disposal is actually quite good
- is good in the air
- this season he's started taking on the play a lot more and we've seen glimpses of the attacking player that came to us

WIll be interesting to see how he is used by the new regime. If his body can handle it... I've always thought he had the making of a really good running HFF/offensive midfielder.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Saintdooley... I'll apologise for the superhero crack... am doing night shift at the moment and it's left me a bit grumpy. It does frustrate me though when people don't actually back up what they say... especially when they're ridiculing.
I don't get why you'd express an opinion on a forum but not actually enter the discussion... but that's neither here nor there.

Back on topic

Marto, I don't agree that Gwilt is better overhead. Your argument about Gwilt playing on Hall, Pods etc is flawed IMO because Gwilt is a bigger bodied player and tends to play on slower forwards in lieu of the fact that he's not particularly great spoiling leading players.

Raph in comparison is not a similar type of defender, He tends to play more on your athletic talls. What he is not, is a KPP. Guys like the players you've mentioned would simply push him off the ball 1:1

That doesn't make him a better or worse defender than Gwilt as they're different types of backmen.

The comment that irked me (not from you) is that Gwilt is better in every facet of the game then Raph... that's simply not true. Raph is much better in a pack situation both in the air and getting his hands on the ball... without a shadow of a doubt Gwilt (of the two is the one whose hands you want the ball in).

Personally IMO, as a defender we tend to overrate Gwilt's 1:1 work because he gets a lot of help courteousy of the amazing defence set up we have had going in recent years.

Don't get me wrong... I'm far from acknowledging the defiencies in Raph's game which are:
- he's mentally weak
- he looks like he could pull a quad in any given minute
- he has extreme difficulty adjusting to the pace of the game esp early in matches
- his decision making can be poor
- disposal can be hit and miss
- has failed to develop the attacking part of his game

Contrary to that however are his positives
- his work rate is fantastic on the ground... he covers a lot of space and gets to a lot of contets
- extremely team focused
- collects the ball very well
- whilst his decision making is poor... for the most part his disposal is actually quite good
- is good in the air
- this season he's started taking on the play a lot more and we've seen glimpses of the attacking player that came to us

WIll be interesting to see how he is used by the new regime. If his body can handle it... I've always thought he had the making of a really good running HFF/offensive midfielder.
He is suffering from people remembering his last game of footy. The weeks leading up to the Sydney game he had been really good. He didn't get a full season and was used as a sub even. He still has improvements to make but is worth the effort. He does the unexpected which can make him a nerve racking prospect but he actually was creative in one of the most conservative game plans the game has seen. Gwilt is a fashionable player, moves like silk and looks good doing the ordinary, just completely different types. I just hope Gwilt gets back to where he was because he became a super reliable backline sweeper.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He is suffering from 9 seasons at the saints where he has been inconsistent and has made a lot of massive errors and in doing so has become a whipping boy...

This happens to players for a reason....

markmark
Club Player

Raph was a forward before comming to the saints. I hope Scotty and co will teach him again to play forward next year, I think you will see a much better player.

Bring it on
To the top
SS Life Member

Given he gets caught holding the ball so often according to certain on here, please explain:-

Frees Against

Armitage 36
Milne 35
Gilbert 30
Schneider 26
Dawson 25
Goddard 25
Fisher 24
Montagna 24

Clarke 16

So, less than 1 free against a game?

Hardly supports the argument?