4 St Kilda players suspended following incident in NZ

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

StSteven wrote:Nettlefold's comment about "all that the boys have achieved over the past couple of years...blah blah" got me.

We have achieved nothing....and aren't my mates letting me know about it!

Win a flag (or two) and maybe we can cut them some slack....definitely not before.

Can't believe how upsetting this is...
I don't call the best win/loss aggregate of any club for the last two years "nothing".

Allow the yardstick of success to be dictated by others and you'll always be punked.

And as a Saints supporter, if your only measure of success is premierships, let's face it - you're on a hiding to nothing.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:It also speaks volumes for the leadership (or lack thereof) at the club, that they weren't able to "keep them out of trouble" for 5 minutes, or lead them in the "right direction".
This is why many would be wondering what the f*** they're doing dedicating their time and energy and passion and hard earned money on a club that is unable to get their s*** together.
I keep reading about this blame being placed on the leadership group and am mystified by it, for one, the last thing the club needs to do is turn into a nanny state, and more importantly, it's not too much to ask that the players take responsibility and be self-regulating. Too much carrot and not enough whip? Disagree.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
matrix
Saintsational Legend

it wouldve been the leadership group that decided punishment?...the coach??
ceo???

who decides the final punishment?

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

InkerSaint wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:It also speaks volumes for the leadership (or lack thereof) at the club, that they weren't able to "keep them out of trouble" for 5 minutes, or lead them in the "right direction".
This is why many would be wondering what the f*** they're doing dedicating their time and energy and passion and hard earned money on a club that is unable to get their s*** together.
I keep reading about this blame being placed on the leadership group and am mystified by it, for one, the last thing the club needs to do is turn into a nanny state, and more importantly, it's not too much to ask that the players take responsibility and be self-regulating. Too much carrot and not enough whip? Disagree.
In which part of my post did I mention "leadership group"? Please point it out to me and I'll correct it. I'm pretty sure I said "leadership" and unless I'm mistaken, Roo and co don't run the club.
I'm talking about the ones who call the shots at the club. The ones who presumably aren't being listened to, when they give what I imagine are clear and simple instructions, or who aren't leading them down better paths.
And when it comes to that, I imagine Roo and co. are also not being listened to, because I expect they would have addressed the group at some point and told them what's expected of them. If their message was strong enough, I expect it would have been listened to, but it appears it hasn't been. And if they were setting a strong enough example, the others would want to follow them, so it's not about a "nanny state". You can lead without being dictatorial, you know?
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Tue 01 Feb 2011 1:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
saint_winston
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:
In which part of my post did I mention "leadership group"? Please point it out to me and I'll correct it. I'm pretty sure I said "leadership" and unless I'm not mistaken, Roo and co don't run the club.
I'm talking about the ones who call the shots at the club. The ones who presumably aren't being listened to.
i understood your initial comments to be regarding the leadership of the club rather than the player leadership group and i cannot agree more with all you say. there is a significant lack thereof in all honesty judging by recent events

as for the players involved, they are young blokes getting the opportunity to live the dream as an afl footballer. they get paid a fortune in terms relative to the rest of the working force to play a game they love. yes they need to train hard and make sacrifices to ensure they are in peak physical condition etc, but how many of us wannabes would have loved such an opportunity? too many young players (not just at our club mind you) take it for granted these days and this is just another prime example. we should have come down alot harder on the lot of them. longer suspension was warranted, i don't care who they are or their standing at the club

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:In which part of my post did I mention "leadership group"? Please point it out to me and I'll correct it. I'm pretty sure I said "leadership" and unless I'm mistaken, Roo and co don't run the club.
I'm talking about the ones who call the shots at the club. The ones who presumably aren't being listened to, when they give what I imagine are clear and simple instructions, or who aren't leading them down better paths.
And when it comes to that, I imagine Roo and co. are also not being listened to, because I expect they would have addressed the group at some point and told them what's expected of them. If their message was strong enough, I expect it would have been listened to, but it appears it hasn't been. And if they were setting a strong enough example, the others would want to follow them, so it's not about a "nanny state". You can lead without being dictatorial, you know?
Wow, is my nose still there? I didn't supply the prescription drugs to the players, if that's what you think.

You talk about the failure to send a strong message, but I'm unclear how you arrived at that conclusion and why 40-odd other players aren't also going off the rails.

What would your point be if this conclusion was wrong?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:when I heard it break on the way home from work last night I was pretty pissed off. Especially as steven and zac have been in the system long enough to know better.

But though the club had dealt with this VERY well.

They actually set a curfew (don't be suprised but not all clubs do that). Players were not arrested, brawling orany otheroffence. They were caught outside this curfew taking sleeping pills and alcohol (not a great combo but could be worse.... speed anyone?).

They could have kept it in house, told the boys to do the right thing and pretend it never happened. Instead they released the details, a very heavy suspension (good rehab idea of getting them into work).

So coming on here I just can't believe the posters who want to close up shop for the next few years. Seriously do we all forget that EVERY club has had players do this.

Players + money + too much spare time = some playing up.

Where do I start. Down here in geelong they have had players hurt themselves whilst out drunk (chapman), buying drugs and being charged (stokes)......

The pies usually hide theirs but still I can remember a couple being suspended for a whole finals series, drink driving by cloke etc. Let alon the incident th night of the replay that somehow disapeared.

Carlton...... tieing up a draftee who was totally drunk ring a bell..... fevola..... Judd must be a terrible leader.... CULTURE

Brisbane..... do I need to go there

Port adelaide..... broganhits a guy, cross dressing footballers up on charge....

richmond lost their sponsorship because of drink driving

north melbourne ..... chicken video, players getting drunk at splendor on the grass etc.

West coast ... drugs, alcohol, gardiner, cousins, etc.

Can't be stuffed thinking about it anymore...

yes it was a TERRIBLE time for it to hppen. The sun loves these stories to be about us, sells lots of papers and they get to run their "saints implode" line... much better then trying to think up nice things to say about us.

But the wrist slitting, woe is me.... :roll:

I'm with JB here, disapointed but not the end of the world.

btw any chance journlists can get their new validated before posting on twitter...... disgusting in what used to be a half decient industry.
Who cares what other clubs get up to though Solar, we support St Kilda...

Lining the boys up against another club and comparing their behaviour isn't going to fix anything.

Is it pressure, is it a lack of care factor, dunno....but the club is negligent if it doesn't at least try to fix it.

Nettlefold saying nothing is wrong, is probably the most concerning thing, I am sure the parents of the kids involved won't be able to dismiss it so easily.

Who wants to be the club that draft kids try to avoid?

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

These players stuffed up.

They have been penalised accordingly.

Story over as far as I am concerned.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Jon Ralph now tweeting that SEN are reporting players were urinating on the bar and fighting patrons :roll:

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:Jon Ralph now tweeting that SEN are reporting players were urinating on the bar and fighting patrons :roll:
Absolute idiots if true. Whether they be AFL players or not that sort of behaviour is disgraceful.

Although SEN is about as reliable as this site when it comes to truths.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Jon Ralph now tweeting that SEN are reporting players were urinating on the bar and fighting patrons :roll:
Another reporter already alluded last night that there was more to come.

If they were sprung red handed as reported, it's probably a case of the club officials being alerted their bad behaviour in the midst of it, otherwise they would of all probably snuck back to the hotel unawares to anyone.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

If they were sprung red handed as reported, it's probably a case of the club officials being alerted their bad behaviour in the midst of it, otherwise they would of all probably snuck back to the hotel unawares to anyone.
Ross spoke of this on SEN now,,
interview you would assume will be up shortly, Club and NZ police are aware if report.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:Question - why does every incident large or small involving St Kilda make the back page headlines, yet with other clubs so little is heard ? Do we have a problem with keeping things quiet and managing them in house ?. Example - Collingwood players recently cleared in court for alleged rape charges, however there was no lead up stories in the paper ?. If these were 2 Saints players, would we have been reading about it for weeks in the papers until the final court decision was made ?. There will always be incidents that will be reported - and suspending 4 players for 6 weeks is always going to make the papers, but surely we can do a better job of minimising the amount of press on some of these stories.

Oh and by the way, yes I'm pi$$ed off at these 4 players for putting the club in this position. Especially Zac - after all he has been involved with over the past couple of months.
What a load of crap. The reason we make the papers is because of how serious some of the issues are. This isnt but the timing is serious. It happens to every club but unless you follow the other clubs you dont notice it as much. Forget about blaming others and open the back door.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Ross spoke of this on SEN now,,
interview you would assume will be up shortly, Club and NZ police are aware if report.
Ralph's tweet has RL saying there's no credibility in the allegations.

If they were caught red handed would he really say that; only to look like a fool later on?

Still a fair chance it's a load of crap

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
I agree, I do not undrstand how this is the rsposabilty of the leadershipgroup. They need to take responsabilty for their own a actions. The leadership group, coaches and management can set rules but can not watch over every player every moment of the day

I love this club
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:
I agree, I do not undrstand how this is the rsposabilty of the leadershipgroup. They need to take responsabilty for their own a actions. The leadership group, coaches and management can set rules but can not watch over every player every moment of the day
What about strong leaders get so much respect that players dont dare break rules.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

ok, so in 18 months we've had...

- Milne/Joey dragged back through the mud
- Hayes/Bakes
- Photos
- School girl crap
- AL saga
- NZ incident/s
- LB saga
- 4 lost grand finals (being cheeky but including preseason 2010 also)
- Roo injury which I believe turned our season on its head last year

Wow, thats just what I thought of in about a minute... i'm sure there are other things. It really has been a tough time since we rested half of the team down in Launceston against Hawthorn, could almost say that was the first of our 'controversies' despite winning that match.

Anyway, I've criticised Zac for poor form at times, but at the end of last season I was over the moon with his form and hoped that he continue into 2011 and beyond. Given the second chance he got at St Kilda and the more chances than most that RL has given him, gee he is really pushing his luck now especially now that he will fall behind where he would normally be if he didn't have the suspension.

Rhys and Jack, seriously, the 'kids' should be aiming to have a breakout year to cement themselves, Cahill, well, I just don't know what to say.

Really disappointing, a lot of talk about this bubble, but the problem with the bubble is at some stage it will burst... I hope its not the case, but hell its not looking good.

The only positive I think I can take from it, is that there is real heart at this club - we always pull through and the more crap that happened last year, the more it strengthened our resolve onfield... hopefully, this year will mirror that part of last year.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:
I agree, I do not undrstand how this is the rsposabilty of the leadershipgroup. They need to take responsabilty for their own a actions.
The leadership group, coaches and management can set rules but can not watch over every player every moment of the day
What about strong leaders get so much respect that players dont dare break rules.
  • that maybe true, but it's it seems to me that no matter what the club does we seem to always have a few individuals who will f things up for everyone else. The only ppl to blame are the 4 players involved, no one else

I love this club
bergsone
SS Life Member

Maybe time for the Prez to come out in public and put the foot down?

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

bergsone wrote:Maybe time for the Prez to come out in public and put the foot down?
Just like Eddie does everytime he has complete access to media circles, which actually works two ways.

He can command control a story in relation to his club to make it look like the club is in control, or, he can also manage to stifle a story that reflects badly against his club.

Our Prez has trucks, not a media empire.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Solar wrote:when I heard it break on the way home from work last night I was pretty pissed off. Especially as steven and zac have been in the system long enough to know better.

They actually set a curfew (don't be suprised but not all clubs do that). Players were not arrested, brawling orany otheroffence. They were caught outside this curfew taking sleeping pills and alcohol (not a great combo but could be worse.... speed anyone?).

They could have kept it in house, told the boys to do the right thing and pretend it never happened. Instead they released the details, a very heavy suspension (good rehab idea of getting them into work).

So coming on here I just can't believe the posters who want to close up shop for the next few years. Seriously do we all forget that EVERY club has had players do this.

Where do I start. Down here in geelong they have had players hurt themselves whilst out drunk (chapman), buying drugs and being charged (stokes)......

The pies usually hide theirs but still I can remember a couple being suspended for a whole finals series, drink driving by cloke etc. Let alon the incident th night of the replay that somehow disapeared.

Carlton...... tieing up a draftee who was totally drunk ring a bell..... fevola..... Judd must be a terrible leader.... CULTURE

Port adelaide..... broganhits a guy, cross dressing footballers up on charge....

north melbourne ..... chicken video, players getting drunk at splendor on the grass etc.

yes it was a TERRIBLE time for it to hppen. The sun loves these stories to be about us, sells lots of papers and they get to run their "saints implode" line... much better then trying to think up nice things to say about us.

btw any chance journlists can get their new validated before posting on twitter...... disgusting in what used to be a half decient industry.

Lining the boys up against another club and comparing their behaviour isn't going to fix anything.

Is it pressure, is it a lack of care factor, dunno....but the club is negligent if it doesn't at least try to fix it.

Nettlefold saying nothing is wrong, is probably the most concerning thing, I am sure the parents of the kids involved won't be able to dismiss it so easily.

The point if you bothered to read it is that this football club is one of 16 who recruit a range of players at 17-18, give them heaps of money for a boy that age, not expect them to work outside of training and then we are suprised when a small percentage act up.

Seriously in comparison to somethings done by young men this is VERY minor. As I have postered, this happens at every other club, sometimes worse (including ours).

To somehow suggest that this shows a "culture" at the club is bizarre, the club leaders set out a series of rules for this camp. Four boys broke those rules. The club has punished them to the limits they could. They did not break the law, as far as we know it's their first offense. They have been given a whack and the club will want them to come back more mature and understanding of what is expected.

I am proud of how the club is handling these issues. They cannot control the media and publics thirst for ANTI-SAINTS material. One herald sun reader suggested this was worse then anything Fev has done. In addition people want more punishment for the players.... you going to sack people for going out past the curfew... if so then I can confirm that there will be ALOT of unemployed young people as I know of two boys that could be sacked for having a drink after work the other night where I work .... :roll:

But congrats to all those henny penny isiots on here, you have helped the media (herald scum) beat this up to the stage where we are in a crisis. We could now go into the season with no major sponsor, negative feelings within the players group and less membership.....

Great set of supporters we have....

FQF my arse!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Solar
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

The point if you bothered to read it is that this football club is one of 16 who recruit a range of players at 17-18, give them heaps of money for a boy that age, not expect them to work outside of training and then we are suprised when a small percentage act up.

Seriously in comparison to somethings done by young men this is VERY minor. As I have postered, this happens at every other club, sometimes worse (including ours).

To somehow suggest that this shows a "culture" at the club is bizarre, the club leaders set out a series of rules for this camp. Four boys broke those rules. The club has punished them to the limits they could. They did not break the law, as far as we know it's their first offense. They have been given a whack and the club will want them to come back more mature and understanding of what is expected.

I am proud of how the club is handling these issues. They cannot control the media and publics thirst for ANTI-SAINTS material. One herald sun reader suggested this was worse then anything Fev has done. In addition people want more punishment for the players.... you going to sack people for going out past the curfew... if so then I can confirm that there will be ALOT of unemployed young people as I know of two boys that could be sacked for having a drink after work the other night where I work .... :roll:

But congrats to all those henny penny isiots on here, you have helped the media (herald scum) beat this up to the stage where we are in a crisis. We could now go into the season with no major sponsor, negative feelings within the players group and less membership.....

FQF my arse!

FQF
In richo I trust

Solar
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

FQF my arse!

FQF
In richo I trust

Solar
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

FQF my arse!

FQF
In richo I trust

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Ok Solar we get it! :wink: