Goose gone ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWodonga
Club Player

SainterK wrote:So let me get this right, people won't be happy with the Goose decision until another player's career (Fisher) is also ended? That is some weird thinking if you ask me....
No I'd rather Goose stay & Fisher to go.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

SaintWodonga wrote:
SainterK wrote:So let me get this right, people won't be happy with the Goose decision until another player's career (Fisher) is also ended? That is some weird thinking if you ask me....
Well I would rather Leigh Fisher stay and Maguire go - Fisher might have a contract to be paid out, whereas Maguire is out of conract....

Although I wish they could have somehow kept both :shock:
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Fri 30 Oct 2009 1:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

No Contract, No contact :shock:
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

My point is that someone has to go, and I think it's poor taste to be flippantly preferring to end someone's career over another...

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:
So - even though it is known we have SC issues, that we are attempting to find enough money to lure Luke Ball back to the club, the fact that Goose is out of contract, and the fact that we would have to pay out Fishers last year of his contract, you still want him delisted before Goose?

This would me Say $100-125k payout + $125-150 contract to Goose thereby costing us $300k for Goose.

Of course this $300k wouldn't be available on our SC for next year.

You go well in business do you mate???

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Milton66
SS Life Member

There's the odd Goose or 2 on this forum that should be delisted. :shock:

Can someone please remind me again just how irresistable Matt's form was in Sandy this year?

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:My point is that someone has to go, and I think it's poor taste to be flippantly preferring to end someone's career over another...
No no NO!!!

You are completely wrong. What happened to FQF for poor Goose. Our club has no loyalty to its players...the fabric of the club is being destroyed because we delist players.....oh BTW Fishers is a spud and should have been delisted and Raph is the worst player in the history of the universe and should have not only been delisted, but executed.

No - loyalty to our players is gone :wink: :wink: :wink:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:There's the odd Goose or 2 on this forum that should be delisted. :shock:

Can someone please remind me again just how irresistable Matt's form was in Sandy this year?
Saw him a couple of times and made Sauntner look like a champ.

Lance or James??

Milton66
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
SainterK wrote:My point is that someone has to go, and I think it's poor taste to be flippantly preferring to end someone's career over another...
No no NO!!!

You are completely wrong. What happened to FQF for poor Goose. Our club has no loyalty to its players...the fabric of the club is being destroyed because we delist players.....oh BTW Fishers is a spud and should have been delisted and Raph is the worst player in the history of the universe and should have not only been delisted, but executed.

not according to respected commentators who only seem to surface when there's an opporunity to say something negative about the club.

.GAGGLE

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
No no NO!!!

What on earth is the "fabric of the club" anyway, is it this weeks catch phrase and I've missed it? :wink:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
No no NO!!!

What on earth is the "fabric of the club" anyway, is it this weeks catch phrase and I've missed it? :wink:
Something about our sponsor Linen House I suppose :D :D

Lance or James??

Milton66
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
No no NO!!!

It's the threads of mateship and going in to battle together that bond the club togher in a coomon friendship and sense of purpose of mutual existance and commeraderie.

I would have thought it was obvious. :roll: :wink:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
SainterK wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
No no NO!!!

:lol:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
No no NO!!!

It's the threads of mateship and going in to battle together that bond the club togher in a coomon friendship and sense of purpose of mutual existance and commeraderie.

Milly the walking thesaurus 8-)

Milton66
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
SainterK wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
No no NO!!!

Obviously, there are different classes of "threads" that hold the club's fabric in place.

PLayers like Goose are considred as rope, whilst lesser player like Fisher and Raph are mere strings... or dental floss.

Milton66
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
No no NO!!!

Milly the walking thesaurus 8-)
erm.. thx for the compliment... but I just googled it. :lol:

SaintTom
Club Player

Might be a stupid comment, but after losing Maxy and Goose, who do we play if Zac gets injured/suspended again for...shepharding..? Do we move Blake in there? Kosi maybe for those few games? I feel like I must be missing someone obvious here...

matrix
Saintsational Legend

thanks to the text messager who sent me the info :)

best of luck big man, youll be playing footy next year i reckon
sad it aint for the red black and white

and the 100th will be the first for the new club
funny the way stuff works out

To the top
SS Life Member

As someone mentioned, the salary cap impositions would be of interest, as they are at every club as that Club's list matures.

The romance of Goose returning to the outer defensive post and playing effective football is gone - then again there is no room for romance with any player at AFL level.

I thought his best chance was to use the confidence he had gained in getting thru a season of football, taking that confidence to the next level and cementing the key outer defensive post against the likes of Brown, Hall and Mooney when such opponents are available and he can not be exploited because there is no obvious opponent.

The Coaching staff are best placed top make the call and the Coach has said 'not in our best 22, son' so Goose had a decision to make as to whether he proved the Coaching Staff wrong or taking his chances elsewhere.

Bear in mind, if he is not in our best 22 he may be an unfortunate injury to someone else away from being in the elite 22 - but is that 'carrot' enough to stay?

I have considered that his only position is the key, outer defensive position against a certain type of player.

The same decision may be ahead for Ball.

The upgrading of Miles, who is yet to get an AFL game after 3 (?) years on the list has not been commented on.

I recall him playing a slashing, rebounding pre-season game v. Essendon but injuries have interrupted since.

If that form is in the cupboard he will be more than handy.

In terms of defensive back up there is the elite Gilbert, plus a couple lads on the list who have the physical attributes like Simpkin and Gaetner - plus we have Silvagni whose presence should not be under estimated.

The loss of Allen comes into play here, unfortunately.

Sam Fisher is elite and Blake and Dawson servicable.

The other subject of interest is the room we have under the Salary Cap and any interest in any de-listed player which St Kilda would be holding very close to their chests.

Is there another Dawson out there, or a Miles from a State League to improve our defensive options?

Time will tell.

I do not think they will be too aggressive in putting 'Dollars' in front of Ball.

The cart comes before the horse and it is up to Ball to 1) remain and therefore to show intent and 2) prove to those who matter that he is a top 22 player.

As the Coach has said, there is a game awaiting anyone who wants one - and, if you are not in the elite 22, you know the increased level of commitment required to get there and who you have to surpass to get there.

Such analysis is fair to all.

The future will then look after itself, and if Ball has a year we look forward to in 2010 and re-establishes as elite, then runs because he was on a one year contract well so be it.

Beacuse all parties will be better off under that scenario.

And, if he re-establishes, he will not want to go to the bottom club to ply his trade.

Gilbo1on1
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
Milton66 wrote: Can someone please remind me again just how irresistable Matt's form was in Sandy this year?
Saw him a couple of times and made Sauntner look like a champ.
violently disembowled a frankston fullback at one point.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Rightly or wrongly, I don't reckon Ross rates him that highly.

Just reading between the lines...

"Matt will play a role this year, but we don't know how big a role"

And when asked if he considered Goose as an elite AFL player, he replied that he thought he was good, but not elite.

Maybe he was a downhill skier in 04 and 05? Maybe he just doesn't have it ater breaking his leg?

I lookat how BJ played injured in the GF, then compare with Goose after Hall hit him in the prelim.

Who knows? Just loud thoughts.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Did we try and shop him around during trade week I wonder?

ace
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Did we try and shop him around during trade week I wonder?
If we did then
there were no buyers
OR
we thought he had greater value than the buyer

AND that value would have to be pretty low to delist after failing to sell.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

I dont think this has anything to do with salary cap and trying to get Ball to sign.

The club did not have to delist Maguire for List Lodgement No 1 today.
That could have waited for list lodgement No2 on 13 November.

They could simply have planned to delist Maguire to find money for Ball but would then retain Maguire if they failed.

I can only conclude that delisting Maguire at Lost Lodgement No1 is a straight football and medical fitness decision, nothing to do with money.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

according to Hawks official on radio last night-0 not to his knowledge

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
according to Hawks official on radio last night-0 not to his knowledge
I heard that he'd asked the Club to sound out if there was a trade for him?

Anyway, given past performances I'm sure we'll see in the ensuing days the following statemements

Goose was offered more by the Saints than whoever wants to take him on.
Goose wants to go to a Club where he will get 'gametime'
Goose's position at the Club became 'untenable'

Then there will be the corresponding threads/posts on here 'potting' the 'heartless, disloyal Club' for 'pushing poor Goose' out.