Tommy Walsh

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
Mooksy wrote:
OLB wrote:Let's put his height, weight and agility into context here.

Cam Mooney is the same height and weight.

Nick Riewoldt is the same height, but 3 kgs lighter.

Matthew Richardson is the same height but 5 kgs heavier.

Now, if we're to believe Walsh's apparent agility, imagine those players with Stephen Hill's ability at ground level...

ʎzzıp ƃuıʇʇǝƃ ɯ,ı ʍou :shock:
The most over rated player of recent times Kouta.
I understand he was a Carlton player and I hate them as much as the next person (tbh I think more) but at his peak he was unplayable.

A footballer of his height with his agility - at the time I had never seen athleticism, both aerially and at ground level, like that on a football field before. There were players who could fly higher, and there were players who were better at ground level, but the combination of both for a player of his height was foreign to me. Of all the players around today, maybe only Goodes could be compared to him.

He was in many ways before his time.

Most remember him post injuries where he wasn't half the player. No doubt his career fizzled out but late 90s-early 00s he was a very good footballer.
That final v Bombers...The one when Fraser Brown ran down Wallis (a small wood duck chasing a big wood duck)...1999 Prelim?...Whatever ikt was Kouta was superb...

He was a gun. A pure athlete. And agree, ahead of his time - so versatile in an era of Pagan's paddock and key position muscle.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
aussiejones
Club Player

Christmas come early
Just what I wanted .....

"Cam Mooney is the same height and weight. "

.....our very own Cam Mooney !!

ace
Saintsational Legend

Mooksy wrote:

Now, if we're to believe Walsh's apparent agility, imagine those players with Stephen Hill's ability at ground level...

The most overpaid player in recent times Kouta.
Something like one and a half million back then when salary caps were lower than they are today.
Demanded so much that the only way Carlton could afford him was to seriously break the salary cap.
He had to know the only way the club could pay him that much was to cheat.
He didn't care at the time and didn't care when they got caught.
When his club was caught he was very reluctant to take a pay cut.
Never apologised for putting his club in a position where they were excluded from drafts.

Pure scum.
Always put himself before his club.

I hope St Kilda never has a player like him.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

aussiejones wrote:Christmas come early
Just what I wanted .....

"Cam Mooney is the same height and weight. "

.....our very own Cam Mooney !!
Cam Mooney can't move like this guy.
Mooney is a drafthorse, this guy is a thoroughbred.

Don't be surprised if Walsh ends up a midfielder.
He could play on a wing like Richmond has played Richardson.
BUT unlike Richardson he has the pace to go with a conventional wingman so would not be exposed defensively like Richardson.

When the designated kicker can't find a target after a behind, he is often forced to kick long to one side of the ground, to a contest containing both teams ruckmen.
Walsh on a wing would allow that long kick to go to the other side of the ground where his height and strength would dominate the contest.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
OLB wrote:
Mooksy wrote:

I understand he was a Carlton player and I hate them as much as the next person (tbh I think more) but at his peak he was unplayable.

A footballer of his height with his agility - at the time I had never seen athleticism, both aerially and at ground level, like that on a football field before. There were players who could fly higher, and there were players who were better at ground level, but the combination of both for a player of his height was foreign to me. Of all the players around today, maybe only Goodes could be compared to him.

He was in many ways before his time.

Most remember him post injuries where he wasn't half the player. No doubt his career fizzled out but late 90s-early 00s he was a very good footballer.
That final v Bombers...The one when Fraser Brown ran down Wallis (a small wood duck chasing a big wood duck)...1999 Prelim?...Whatever ikt was Kouta was superb...

He was a gun. A pure athlete. And agree, ahead of his time - so versatile in an era of Pagan's paddock and key position muscle.
That prelim against the Bombers is the game that sticks in my mind too.

One of the best individual performances I've seen.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Going by the footage on youtube etc...

.. looks like he can win his own ball (either using his speed to get to the loose ball or strong body for the hard ball) and looks good in both the traffic and also when he's running free.

and after he's won the ball he protects his space well and can use a combination of speed and strength to break through a defence or create some time.

he may be suited to a midfield or ruckroving role too - providing his fitness allows it.

So Walsh may provide an early glimpse of how Stanley may go in a couple of years time after he puts on some weight ?
(I don't see Stanley as only a ruck option).

the only thing I'm not sure of is ..
Fitness base .. does anyone know how he measures up ?
How quickly/well he'll adapt to the oval ball ..marking/handball/kicking dealing with the bounce, judging the flight etc.. but practice makes perfect as they say.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
Fitness base .. does anyone know how he measures up ?.
He is behind..and he commented on that when he was here last time.

He is going from amatuer to professional and will ramp up...and so will improve..
samoht wrote: How quickly/well he'll adapt to the oval ball ..marking/handball/kicking dealing with the bounce, judging the flight etc.. but practice makes perfect as they say.
Unknown.

He may or may not adapt...and it may be quick.or may take years.

And it is not just ball skills that he needs to aquire, but reading the play etc.

For example Gwilt has all the skills, but still does not read the play as well as you would like.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:
can't see why he can't be in the best 22 by round 1 and win the rising star :D
Lets get a few games into him first..

Training while good...is not substitute for actual games.

Also his team-mates will most likely not tackle or bump him as hard as the opposition will.

But yes lets all get excited at having signed a Gun International Rookie

He may or may not suceed...but it is exciting none the less.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Going by the UTube footage he doesnt take much notice of tackles, does he? Ignores them and keeps on going.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Going by the UTube footage he doesnt take much notice of tackles, does he? Ignores them and keeps on going.
Yes he looks very strong in the body...but in Gaelic they cannot really tackle...and AFL players are skilled at it.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
He may or may not suceed...but it is exciting none the less.
It certainly is exciting.. so is the fact that our club is prepared to try some lateral thinking and take what is ultimately only a small calculated risk really for a potentially large reward.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:Already pointed out. Had he of gone to draft camp this year, he would of finished =3rd for the 20m sprint. Take into account his height and weight, and that's amazing.
nathan brown (collingwood) ran a 2.91 in 2006. he's 195/97.

on agility, the same year andrejs everitt got 8.06 in agility. he's 193/87.

walsh is about the same age as them, so bracket him with them broadly, i reckon. interesting that they were both talked about as coming to the saints this year as well...

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
#1GILL wrote:Already pointed out. Had he of gone to draft camp this year, he would of finished =3rd for the 20m sprint. Take into account his height and weight, and that's amazing.

walsh is about the same age as them, so bracket him with them broadly, i reckon. interesting that they were both talked about as coming to the saints this year as well...
It really is the way of the future and St Kilda are trying to get well ahead...

You need mobile, agile, atheletic big men that can play in multiple positions.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Milton66
SS Life Member

samoht wrote:Going by the footage on youtube etc...

.. looks like he can win his own ball (either using his speed to get to the loose ball or strong body for the hard ball) and looks good in both the traffic and also when he's running free.

and after he's won the ball he protects his space well and can use a combination of speed and strength to break through a defence or create some time.

he may be suited to a midfield or ruckroving role too - providing his fitness allows it.

So Walsh may provide an early glimpse of how Stanley may go in a couple of years time after he puts on some weight ?
(I don't see Stanley as only a ruck option).

Fitness base .. does anyone know how he measures up ?
How quickly/well he'll adapt to the oval ball ..marking/handball/kicking dealing with the bounce, judging the flight etc.. but practice makes perfect as they say.
I think that reading play is an intuitive thing, so I don't see that as a problem to be honest.

The real challenge as I see it is that in Gaelic footy, they do not tackle as hard, and they don't seem to use the same extra man in defence tactics that we use.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
ace
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
bergholt wrote:

It really is the way of the future and St Kilda are trying to get well ahead...

You need mobile, agile, atheletic big men that can play in multiple positions.
Nathan J Brown (Collingwood) 2006 pick 10
Andrejs Everitt (Bulldogs) 2006 pick 11

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

a lot of excitement here - he's our new messiah, last year it was bc who would lead us into light.

remember -impressive though he looks, you cannot tackle in gaelic footy - so he is not busting through tackles, simply running around players who try to spoil, bump, or block.

also check out his hurling skills - he's got a bit of a dirty streak in him - likes to chop at hands (very big no no!) - could be the bit of mongrel we need.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
samoht
Saintsational Legend

he's not busting through tackles because he hasn't needed to, doesn't mean he can't or won't be able to - but it will be something new he needs to deal with and try to overcome.

Also there's nothing simple about running around players - that's a rare attribute for anyone his size and weight to have that sort of speed/agility.

i too can see some mongrel/arrogance .. hopefully that translates over to AFL too.

SaintTom
Club Player

This might have already been said somewhere, but say that he has his first game in round one. Who do we have that plays in a comparable position that we can justify dropping for him off the bat?

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Didn't know Tommy Walsh was an aspiring actor as well.

Apparently he was cast to play the lead in "24", but the Fox Network sacked him because he killed the terrorist and saved the world... in 12 mins.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

SaintTom wrote:This might have already been said somewhere, but say that he has his first game in round one. Who do we have that plays in a comparable position that we can justify dropping for him off the bat?

Well IMO one of Roo or Kosi are going to have to make way for Big Tommy

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
ace
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:a lot of excitement here - he's our new messiah, last year it was bc who would lead us into light.

remember -impressive though he looks, you cannot tackle in gaelic footy - so he is not busting through tackles, simply running around players who try to spoil, bump, or block.

also check out his hurling skills - he's got a bit of a dirty streak in him - likes to chop at hands (very big no no!) - could be the bit of mongrel we need.
Eh! sorry to disappoint, but the hurling player of the same name who plays for Kilkenny is a different guy and about 5 years older..
Last edited by ace on Wed 21 Oct 2009 2:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SaintTom wrote:This might have already been said somewhere, but say that he has his first game in round one. Who do we have that plays in a comparable position that we can justify dropping for him off the bat?
Riewoldt

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
samoht
Saintsational Legend

:shock: :? :x :twisted: :roll: .... 8-) :lol: :wink:

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I'd start him on the HFF. In place of Dempster.

yipper
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:I'd start him on the HFF. In place of Dempster.
Perhaps he should have a run in the forum game against the Dees first!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.