Are we ALL starting to warm to Lyon yet?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:We don't look slow now. We don't have gaping holes everywhere.

The reality is that we did have a good list, and still do. The difference now is that they're fit and playing well.
Teflon wrote:

But you were the "father" the original author of "saints will be rebuilding in 2 years" after GT.....

You were the doomsayer on Lyons appointment that we needed an overhaul badly......that we were destined for mediocrity for years....(Its my favorite SS post I memorised it I loved it so.... :lol: )

Fast forward to now....and the "list"is still super and never had a problem......... :lol: ......

what an odd little man/? you are.

Ofcourse you agree with Saints 43....your one and the same.......still 2 personalities but just as confused.... :lol:

At least all on this site now know any views you have are geared toward generating personal attention and not genuinely about discussing the topic. Your this sites version of Warwick Capper (and Im tipping you have the shorts.. :wink: ).

You do provide comic relief though - keep up the good work. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

But you add both Clarkes, Max and Goose back in, and suddenly the horrible list that Lyon inherited doesn't that look that much different to what's on the park now.

Rodger...can you find ONE post by me where I stated that Lyon inherited a horrible list?

No...but that does stop you actively pretending that I have.
Keep it real sRr. You are splitting hairs and your argument is at risk of becoming as specious as rf's.

You might never have used the word "horrible", but you have prattled on and on about GT "ruining our list" for the best part of 2 years. You might fool some people on here, but I for one was paying attention to what you said.

I'm sick to death of this "you're lying, I never said black was white, I simply said that both of them were extreme ends of the spectrum of grey" type of stuff that passes for reasoned debate on SS these days.

FWIW, I have always considered that the list that RL inherited from GT was a mixed blessing. It had a fantastic core of stars - Gehrig, Hamill, Riewoldt, Kosi, Lenny, Milne, Dal, Ball, BJ, X, Joey, etc. - and some newer up and coming guys such as Sam Fisher, Gilbert, Gram, Raph and, to some extent, Mini and Gwilt.

But certain problems had emerged in the last 2 seasons of GT's regime. Penny and Jones had retired prematurely and it was clear that Peckett, Powell, Thommo and Harves were heading for retirement as well. Hamill and Watts had already experienced what turned out to be career-ending injuries and Kosi, Lenny and Goose had also been seriously injured. Raph was beginning to display the back problems and what seemed to be a bad attitude (but was in fact an undiagnosed illness). Gehrig's body was starting to show signs of the wear and tear that finally did his career in. Ball was already severely hampered by his OP. And X was already a week to week proposition (as has been Max for much of the time, for that matter).

These were major problems that Lyon and the coaching staff and the players affected have had to work hard to overcome (as well as new problems such as BJ's and Baker's injuries in 2007). The extent to which they can be blamed on GT is a moot point.

Did GT drive Jones and Penny away? Maybe, but I've never heard it suggested.

Did Harvey, Thommo, Powell or Peckett retire prematurely? I doubt it.

Were Goose's, Lenny's, Hamill's, Gehrig's or Kosi's (or, for that matter, BJ's and Baker's) serious injuries the result of poor conditioning or preparation? I doubt it.

Perhaps Ball's and X's and Raph's chronic problems might have been better managed by the current staff than they were by the well-credentialled Larcom and Starcevich (although X and Raph still seem to be struggling to get fit: maybe some responsibility for this might need to be sheeted home to their own training efforts, or even to their genetic makeup).

Anyway, the really interesting point to note now is how many of the key players who have struggled with injuries and/or other problems are now back and firing. BJ, Kosi, Ball, Baker and Lenny seem to be largely over their injury problems. Raph performed well in the second half of last season and we can hope to see him back soon, along with X. Even Goose looks to be a chance to get back into it.

Kosi in particular is a key player for our team. I still reckon we would have gotten past the Swans if he had been fit for the 2005 PF (and Sam Fisher would have been an added bonus). Most posters on here seem to have totally forgotten how good he once was, or else can only think back to the golden patch in 2005 and see it as some sort of an aberration.

Nick Riewoldt has always used the same word to describe Kosi: a "gun". I believe that he, more than anything else, is the X factor in our mix that has made us look so much more dangerous so far in 2009.

It certainly isn't largely down to the impact that Schneider, Ray, CJ and Geary have had on the team: which is where all this "Lyon has turned over the list" nonsense comes totally off the rails.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

The reality is that we did have a good list, and still do. The difference now is that they're fit and playing well.
But you were the "father" the original author of "saints will be rebuilding in 2 years" after GT.....

You were the doomsayer on Lyons appointment that we needed an overhaul badly......that we were destined for mediocrity for years....(Its my favorite SS post I memorised it I loved it so.... :lol: )

Fast forward to now....and the "list"is still super and never had a problem......... :lol: ......

Ofcourse you agree with Saints 43....your one and the same.......still 2 personalities but just as confused.... :lol:

At least all on this site now know any views you have are geared toward generating personal attention and not genuinely about discussing the topic. Your this sites version of Warwick Capper (and Im tipping you have the shorts.. :wink: ).

Actually, SrR just posted something that I wrote some time ago. So I'm not sure what you're talking about....

"I agree with you.

I also said this at the time of the sacking.

I felt 2007 was our last true hope with the list, before a mini-rebuild would be required.

'Mini-rebuild', because we would lose some veterans, and didn't have many kids coming through. Our core was good enough to get us into the 8 comfortably, but I doubted we'd be a contender seriously for another 1-2 years.

By changing coach however prior to this 'mini-rebuild', it would take longer (for reasons I've explained 1000 times).

Lyon was given a very, very good list. There was natural 'decline' in terms of the balance of it. Not in terms of the wuality of talent - that's perhaps where you and I disagree. But in terms of the theory of.... "

Pretty clearly, what I've said above is what I still say. And it's very, very accurate.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Actually, SrR just posted something that I wrote some time ago. So I'm not sure what you're talking about....

"I agree with you.

I also said this at the time of the sacking.

I felt 2007 was our last true hope with the list, before a mini-rebuild would be required.

'Mini-rebuild', because we would lose some veterans, and didn't have many kids coming through. Our core was good enough to get us into the 8 comfortably, but I doubted we'd be a contender seriously for another 1-2 years.

By changing coach however prior to this 'mini-rebuild', it would take longer (for reasons I've explained 1000 times).

Lyon was given a very, very good list. There was natural 'decline' in terms of the balance of it. Not in terms of the wuality of talent - that's perhaps where you and I disagree. But in terms of the theory of.... "

Pretty clearly, what I've said above is what I still say. And it's very, very accurate.
Ah....Dodgy....you are a funny man.

You know the post Im talking about - you later acknowledged that perhaps you were a tad over the top in your depressing ramblings......ring any bells? :lol:

Regardless, keep the laughs coming -my dog finds your humour intellectually stimulating. :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
matrix
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

ImageImage

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

markp
Saintsational Legend

8-)...............Image........................................... :( :?:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

You know the post Im talking about - you later acknowledged that perhaps you were a tad over the top in your depressing ramblings......ring any bells? :lol:

Regardless, keep the laughs coming -my dog finds your humour intellectually stimulating. :wink:

The post you're referring to was even more accurate than the above one.

It was almost precisely 100% spot on.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

But you add both Clarkes, Max and Goose back in, and suddenly the horrible list that Lyon inherited doesn't that look that much different to what's on the park now.

Rodger...can you find ONE post by me where I stated that Lyon inherited a horrible list?

No...but that does stop you actively pretending that I have.
Keep it real sRr. You are splitting hairs and your argument is at risk of becoming as specious as rf's.

You might never have used the word "horrible", but you have prattled on and on about GT "ruining our list" for the best part of 2 years. You might fool some people on here, but I for one was paying attention to what you said.

LOL Paying attention? You were obviously asleep at the wheel.

Which part of my many posts on List Management have you failed to understand?

MB....I will explain it to you once again.

Bar for GT's mismanagement IMO we would have had the best list in the competition two years ago. That is the BEST list...rather than just a good list.

GT was overseeing the decline of our list...the trend was we were getting worse under him in terms of the list.

Under RL the trend is that we are getting better.

If GT had not been axed we would IMO be a in a much worse state now list wise......and gameplan wise we would be easy pickings for any top-8 team.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Teflon wrote:

The post you're referring to was even more accurate than the above one.

It was almost precisely 100% spot on.
Precisey my point.

You are funny :lol:

“Yeah….nah””
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

meher baba wrote: I'm sick to death of this "you're lying, I never said black was white, I simply said that both of them were extreme ends of the spectrum of grey" type of stuff that passes for reasoned debate on SS these days.
It may be the nature of the internet and all, but I couldn't agree with MB more. In the end, some of my favorite posts tend to come from posters that I just about have unwritten rules not to engage with.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote: Bar for GT's mismanagement IMO we would have had the best list in the competition two years ago. That is the BEST list...rather than just a good list.

GT was overseeing the decline of our list...the trend was we were getting worse under him in terms of the list.

If GT had not been axed we would IMO be a in a much worse state now list wise......and gameplan wise we would be easy pickings for any top-8 team.
Get... Over... It...

Those who don't agree with you never will, and those who do don't care.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
markp
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
meher baba wrote: I'm sick to death of this "you're lying, I never said black was white, I simply said that both of them were extreme ends of the spectrum of grey" type of stuff that passes for reasoned debate on SS these days.
It may be the nature of the internet and all, but I couldn't agree with MB more. In the end, some of my favorite posts tend to come from posters that I just about have unwritten rules not to engage with.
Yup, it sums up my thoughts in a nutshell too.

We are the sum of our experiences, and everything we have been through has led us to this point.... in that regard at the very least we must be grateful for GT, RB, Watson, Blight, Alves. They all contributed (wittingly and unwittingly).

Amazingly, after countless debacles and setbacks over recent years we seem to be genuinely poised for a tilt, maybe even for the next few years to come.... "There's a divinity that shapes our ends, rough-hew them how we will" comes to mind.

Our infamous window is wide open, when I genuinely feared we'd missed our big chance (even at the time I thought the Guerra kick was it)... personally I don't really give a stuff who opened it or let it slip by how many millimeters, and even less who was 'right' by what degree.... It's like thinking about accounting during sex.

Just bring on Freo! :twisted:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
Our infamous window is wide open, when I genuinely feared we'd missed our big chance
The window was never going to closed for another 4-5 years as long as we held onto our core group of players.

BJ, Kosi, Dal, Roo, Ball etc. still have another 2-3 years in their prime.

GT knew this, and built around them without ever entertaining the thought of them leaving.

Lyon took over, and ditto.

Credit to them both. Get your core secured long term, get them fit, and build around them over time.

markp
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
markp wrote:
Our infamous window is wide open, when I genuinely feared we'd missed our big chance
The window was never going to closed for another 4-5 years as long as we held onto our core group of players.

BJ, Kosi, Dal, Roo, Ball etc. still have another 2-3 years in their prime.

GT knew this, and built around them without ever entertaining the thought of them leaving.

Lyon took over, and ditto.

Credit to them both. Get your core secured long term, get them fit, and build around them over time.
Yup, but there was a time when Kosi and BJ looked like they may not deliver fully on their potential, Ball was struggling and Dal seemed to be downhill skiiing....

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

GT still raises hackles - i can't understand why we can't let it go - bottom line - GT came in at a difficult time and turned the saints around - turned us into contenders. Wasn't perfect, but also had little luck, would we have won a premiership under him? We may well have. His record as a saints coach is certainly admirable if you glance over our history - so stop knocking him - the players played for him and respected him.

But he is part of our history now - Lyon didn't have the easiest start, and made mistakes i believe, i also think the players took a while to get over the GT sacking and found it hard to motivate themselves. Of course he had a good list, not necessarily the best, but what new coach could ask for better - why argue otherwise. He needed to tweak it and has done well doing so and at this moment Lyon's saints are playing fantastic footy and i'm excited again.

Simply no point going on what might have been - let's look at what might BE!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Shaggy
Club Player

markp wrote: Our infamous window is wide open, when I genuinely feared we'd missed our big chance (even at the time I thought the Guerra kick was it)... personally I don't really give a stuff who opened it or let it slip by how many millimeters, and even less who was 'right' by what degree.... It's like thinking about accounting during sex.

I always thought 2008-2010 were our years with our guns from 2001. Its logical. I lost faith in 2007 because IMO players played well below their ability.

Now RL has all players playing to their best and I am back to how I felt in 2005. The lid is off IMO.

And like you I just want to enjoy this year and we should all revel in it because in 5 years time we are not going to be up there.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
saintsRrising wrote: Bar for GT's mismanagement IMO we would have had the best list in the competition two years ago. That is the BEST list...rather than just a good list.

Get... Over... It...

Those who don't agree with you never will, and those who do don't care.
And those who cant accept others who do/dont agree with them will continue to push their points. Welcome to the internet.

Id take a dose of 'get over it myself' if I were you... :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Yup, it sums up my thoughts in a nutshell too.

We are the sum of our experiences, and everything we have been through has led us to this point.... in that regard at the very least we must be grateful for GT, RB, Watson, Blight, Alves. They all contributed (wittingly and unwittingly).

Amazingly, after countless debacles and setbacks over recent years we seem to be genuinely poised for a tilt, maybe even for the next few years to come.... "There's a divinity that shapes our ends, rough-hew them how we will" comes to mind.

Our infamous window is wide open, when I genuinely feared we'd missed our big chance (even at the time I thought the Guerra kick was it)... personally I don't really give a stuff who opened it or let it slip by how many millimeters, and even less who was 'right' by what degree.... It's like thinking about accounting during sex.

Come on.....you mean you have never had accountant sex where all you thought of was squaring the leger? :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Yes.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.