Game thread V Blues

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: Game thread V Blues

The_Dud wrote: Sun 25 Aug 2024 7:24pm lol, imagine just watching that game and what you come away with is sooking about umpires 😅
LOL - no - imagine watching that game - and coming away accepting of the Incompetence that we call umpiring.

My issue is not one sidedness - my issue is the appalling standard

I don't think they cheat

I think they are incompetent - and are being paid 200K plus a year to dish up that drivel.

Imagine going to your account who says you can have a $1,000 Tax return based on his calculations - and you go away and look at it and find another $50,000 worth of deductions - would you be happy paying your $200 for the return - or would you complain???

What if they did not tick the Small Business box and you lost $1,000 Small Business Offset?
What f they did not tick that you had Private Health Cover and it cost you $2,500 in Medicare Surcharge?

What then Dud - are you still happy with your $1,000???

THEY ARE INCOMPETENT and should be made to be Professional and then held to the same standards as regular people - especially those earning $200K + per year.

I look at other games as a neutral and come away thinking the same.....

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Self quote
Last edited by Sainter_Dad on Mon 26 Aug 2024 10:00am, edited 1 time in total.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
freely
SS Hall of Fame

200k? In their dreams!

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2024 8:36am 200k? In their dreams!
Hey Freely - I saw the contract for a central umpire in 2013 - clear as mud - in 2016 they got $105K for a central umpire doing all home games (No Bonuses) - NO FINALS.

PART TIME.
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 13 Aug 2023 1:27pm
From the 2013 CBA https://www.aflua.com.au/wp-content/upl ... 082013.pdf as signed by Kirsten Callan for Andrew Demetriou and Peter Howe/Stefan Grun
Field Umpire in 2013
Base Wage - $64.459.00
Home and Away payment - $1.859.00 (x 22)

No Pre-season or finals - IN 2016 - $105,357.00 (as well as bonuses of up to $23,000)
Is it unreasonable to assume that this has increased to $200K - and if not it would be $150K - there is no way they have received increases less than $10K per year for the last 8 years - that makes $185,000 and I would say more.

― Aristophanes

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sun 25 Aug 2024 8:07pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 25 Aug 2024 7:30pm
TheGreatZacsby wrote: Sun 25 Aug 2024 7:26pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 25 Aug 2024 7:24pm lol, imagine just watching that game and what you come away with is sooking about umpires 😅
You are right Dud! HOW ABOUT THE BOTTLE THROW?
There are a few bottle throwers in this thread!

But seriously, the Carlton cheer squad should be empty for their next game.
Curly’s got a decent arm on him 😁
Used to now I'm only good for throw downs.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2024 7:56am
LOL - no - imagine watching that game - and coming away accepting of the Incompetence that we call umpiring.

I don't think they cheat
Uhhhh
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 25 Aug 2024 7:10pm WTF was with 2 - 12 freekicks becoming 15 - 16???

That is what gives umpiring a bad name - call them that are there - don't make [sh]it up just to even the count.

There is no way we went from being that clean to that dirty after half time - some of those frees were laughable.

But - I have worked the formula
First half use rough smashing tackles - drive them into the turf - elbows to the back of the head as you mark - give away 12 free kicks
Second half you get them back and they are battered up and scared.
[Unless you are St Kilda - then you don't get them back]

Dud - defend the 50's and the high on Saad or the blocking free on a kick into the 50 that was not paid earlier in the game!!!!
:D

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Umpires that are all about themselves are the problem. Only need to look at the clowns with head pieces on at local finals.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2024 11:11am
Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2024 7:56am

I don't think they cheat
Uhhhh
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 25 Aug 2024 7:10pm WTF was with 2 - 12 freekicks becoming 15 - 16???

That is what gives umpiring a bad name - call them that are there - don't make [sh]it up just to even the count.

There is no way we went from being that clean to that dirty after half time - some of those frees were laughable.

But - I have worked the formula
First half use rough smashing tackles - drive them into the turf - elbows to the back of the head as you mark - give away 12 free kicks
Second half you get them back and they are battered up and scared.
[Unless you are St Kilda - then you don't get them back]

Dud - defend the 50's and the high on Saad or the blocking free on a kick into the 50 that was not paid earlier in the game!!!!
:D
I watched the replay
good game
The blues were ferocious all game . This is what led to them giving away so many silly frees in the first quarter.
We got some soft ones but of course they got plenty in the last .
Replay highlights included
Voss posing on the sidelines all game ( should have been wearing his Raybans though. )
Carlton's Giuseppe convention sooking every time they didn't get a free .

It's a pity the St Kilda of the West let us down by not beating Port .

In red white and black from 73
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

call them that are there - don't make [sh]it up just to even the count.

Exactly this. Very poor umpiring display. They were obviously more worried about how they would look - being blamed for Blues missing finals - rather than arriving at impartial and correct decisions.

As for making them more professional and paying them more, it would help but wouldn’t solve the fundamental issues of umpiring AFL games.

There are too many grey areas and the game moves too fast for them to be correct every time

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The rule of thumb is supposed to be that you always pay the really obvious ones and that’s it.

The problem tends to be that we have too many rules of the week or stances where they pluck a free pout of nowhere. If you see 2 players contesting for a mark, one grabs a bit of jumper, the other is over the shoulder, there’s a chop etc… one should just let it go unless it’s undeniable.
As unbelievable as it is… Sam Newman still has it right with what he said in the 90s. It’s not the ones you don’t pay, it’s the ones you do pay that cause the issues

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2024 1:27pm call them that are there - don't make [sh]it up just to even the count.

Exactly this. Very poor umpiring display. They were obviously more worried about how they would look - being blamed for Blues missing finals - rather than arriving at impartial and correct decisions.

As for making them more professional and paying them more, it would help but wouldn’t solve the fundamental issues of umpiring AFL games.

There are too many grey areas and the game moves too fast for them to be correct every time
Surely you don't mean these ones ..... Yes the blur at the top of the screen is the ball.

Clear as mud - unreasonable attempt.
The previous minute Acres was marking and RoMa hit his hand in the attempt to spoil - but not his head - it looked to the naked eye as a free - but Blacres flopped.

― Aristophanes

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2024 2:17pm
bigcarl wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2024 1:27pm call them that are there - don't make [sh]it up just to even the count.

Surely you don't mean these ones ..... Yes the blur at the top of the screen is the ball.

The previous minute Acres was marking and RoMa hit his hand in the attempt to spoil - but not his head - it looked to the naked eye as a free - but Blacres flopped.

I thought the unrealistic marking attempt was paid a free, with advantage taken by Saints???

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2024 2:25pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2024 2:17pm

I thought the unrealistic marking attempt was paid a free, with advantage taken by Saints???
Maybe - but I do not recall a whistle or play actually stopping - I thought Wilks saw that it was not going to be paid and just had to play on.

Happy to accept that I am wrong and that we took advantage before the ump could call it - but Wilks had time to recover and ask the question - so it could not have been a quick decision.

― Aristophanes

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

:lol:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
St Dave
Club Player

Kind of wild that we have a prime example of 'it all evens out in the end' and people are still using it as a reason to bash the umps.

We got a few extras in the first half that the umps got wrong and they got a few extra in the second half that the umps got wrong. It felt pretty even by the end, but if someone has watched it over keeping an unbiased tally that might be interesting. They will never be perfect because they are human, but they also didn't decide the game.

Unless you have a solution (maybe 20 umps in the arc each watching a staggered 2 seconds at a time in super slow mo to see exactly if a player was really trying to dispose of the ball or if they just dropped it) maybe save your blood pressure and follow a sport that is umpired perfectly instead.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2024 2:25pm
Just re-watched - no whistle - no play on - just the assumption that by taking the kick we had elected advantage (maybe a fair enough assumption - but it was not an advantage as it led to a stoppage)

― Aristophanes