Wealthy St Kilda figure Gerry Ryan and former coach Grant Thomas endorse Larry Benge to join Saints board

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Wealthy St Kilda figure Gerry Ryan and former coach Grant Thomas endorse Larry Benge to join Saints board

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 24 Oct 2021 1:26pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 24 Oct 2021 8:48am
Ofcourse 2022 is make it break - with Clarkson there I think it’s critical for Ratten especially to have a good year
Ofcourse it’s good corporate practice to update your board with talent
Question for you is;
1. Larry the dentist appears to have eff all credentials other than big mouth piece backers
2. Do you think dragging the club through the media gutter is the “professional Board” member material we need ???
Good clubs don’t do that.
We are headed straight back to the days of the club being run by “white knight” individuals....it’s 80’s stuff and when these so called “fixers” have had their play we’ll be left to pick up the pieces ....only this time from Tasmania where perhaps (if we allow this trash into our club) we deserve to be.
Living in Brisbane Teflon I wouldn't know Larry the Dentist from a tube of toothpaste or a string of dental floss, nor is that particularly relevant, he'll need to flash his pearly whites and enumerate his credentials so that we can decide whether or not to vote for him, assuming there's a contest for seats on the board.

As for Grant Thomas' interview last week on radio and published in the Hun, "dragging the the club through the media gutter" as you call it, I refer again to the upheavals in recent years at Richmond and Melbourne, when both episodes were widely debated in the media. I doubt that there's a single supporter of these two clubs that looks back to the manner in which change was achieved with an ounce of regret....

Given the 11 years since St Kilda were last in a Grand Final, and most expert commentators openly predicting that our team is unlikely to feature in a GF again in the foreseeable future, I don't mind the slightest that Thomas has "lifted the scab" and questioned the direction that the club is on at present. I'll go even further and express my support for what he is doing because I'm fed up with my footy team just making up the numbers in the AFL year after year.

Finally, I take comfort from the knowledge that Grant Thomas has the backing of Gerry Ryan, a genuine St Kilda man not known for s***-stirring, and who in turn moves in the same circle as some other corporate heavy lifters like billionaire Lindsay Fox.
That’s wonderful
We’ve had 7 shite years under Richardson and no sign of Grant but just as we start to amass a core young group of talent that looks ok...,you’re wrapt to have GT picking the “scab” off the club via the media cause it makes you feel like someone is keeping the bastards honest???
Even though GT hasn’t and can’t enunciate the problem he’s trying to fix ????
Let’s get this right.....Larry the dentist onboard and we are all set for a tilt at the flag??
Or GT can weave his culture magic again ?
It’s just boring corporate Mumbo jumbo spin - light on problems being solved and even lighter on how “GT” is going to come in with his corporate platitudes and suddenly make us flag favourites :D
The club has a plan
There is some great work being done at Moorabbin finally
Record members
Sponsors card last year full - yes we need to do more and it’s not finished
Connecting with bayside business and communities
Some fantastic - superb late draft pick selections of kids showing talent
Awesome recruiting of development staff FINALLY
A core that gets an injection of top end draft talent for the first time in years
A finals appearance and win in last 2 years
A bare miss of finals in a horrendous season riddled with injury /disaster draw
Infact the clubs fitness performance last year was poor so what have the club done - not rested on that...gone straight out and changed that. This tells me Bassat and Co aren’t just standing still like Grants corporate rubbish is trying to paint them out to be .... just gutter muck raking at its best cause he won tattslotto in business and wants to be an AFL big boy again...
And we throw the baby out with the bath water cause GT via Larry the dentist wants back in ??
You lot would’ve voted Trump I’m guessing ?

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Wealthy St Kilda figure Gerry Ryan and former coach Grant Thomas endorse Larry Benge to join Saints board

meher baba wrote: Sun 24 Oct 2021 12:25pm I will stick to my earlier comment. I think we are evolving into a good, competitive side. But I cannot see us winning a premiership with our current list, even if you add Ben King to it (not a move of which I'm particularly in favour, anyway).

Teams that have won premierships have a Formula One engine room: Gawn and Petracca perhaps providing the most stunning illustration of that we have ever seen in a GF.

Teflon, you seem to be hailing Ryder/Marshall and Gresham - and perhaps Jones as the key attacking cogs in the centre, with Steele and Crouch providing a ball-winning, tackling spine. But Ryder has only a couple of years left at best, and, while Gresham appears to have everything that he needs to be a powerful force in the midfield, a question mark remains over his ability to recover from/avoid injury (and, to a lesser extent, the same applies with Jones).

I think we have enough grunt to make finals one or more times in the next few years, but we'd need to have an enormous amount of luck with injuries (no key ones for us, and some key ones for our main rivals) even to make the GF, let alone win it.

Therefore, I think it is reasonable for supporters of the club to take a critical look at the current management and the direction they are taking it. Although, as I have posted earlier, I do not think that GT is necessarily the answer.
The club is building after 7 wasted years under Richardson and Trout you imbecile and you want that fixed in 5 minutes?
WHERE WAS THOMAS when Archie Fraser was selling us down Seaford??????? Or when Trout was destroying us at the draft table rooting up the golden pick 1 choice we had???
Now wants back in?????
Lazy Herald Sun opinions .. just incredible no wonder we have been mediocre..
St Kilda - big on individual personalities.....light on Premierships .....,why?????
geezus it ain’t hard

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I thought this from Sainter 43 BF was at least balanced

Saints43
I love GT but the problem for me is that he pops up for comment and cares about the club now that he's sold his business and has the luxury of spare time. We needed someone in our corner when Frazer was moving us to Seaford, soon after Richo's contract was extended and Elshaugh was destroying us from within. Now isn't the time. Finnis has been able to hand over football matters and the turnaround to that list in 3 years in amazing. We've built a squad good enough that we can go to the draft/trade and build for the next tilt with King, Higgins, Highmore, Bytel, Clark, Coff, Gresh, Howard, Marshall, Byrnes, Sharman, Wilkie, Butler and Steele all 25 or under.
The outcomes from Lethlean, Gags & Libba's decisions have mostly been good ones.
If they can get the fitness right, draft well, and set the expectations that St Kilda isn't just a place to be an AFL footballer then we can look forward to a much better decade than we just came through.
And if we can talk Clarko into coming for 2023? Who knows.

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 24 Oct 2021 2:42pm
meher baba wrote: Sun 24 Oct 2021 12:25pm I will stick to my earlier comment. I think we are evolving into a good, competitive side. But I cannot see us winning a premiership with our current list, even if you add Ben King to it (not a move of which I'm particularly in favour, anyway).

Teams that have won premierships have a Formula One engine room: Gawn and Petracca perhaps providing the most stunning illustration of that we have ever seen in a GF.

Teflon, you seem to be hailing Ryder/Marshall and Gresham - and perhaps Jones as the key attacking cogs in the centre, with Steele and Crouch providing a ball-winning, tackling spine. But Ryder has only a couple of years left at best, and, while Gresham appears to have everything that he needs to be a powerful force in the midfield, a question mark remains over his ability to recover from/avoid injury (and, to a lesser extent, the same applies with Jones).

I think we have enough grunt to make finals one or more times in the next few years, but we'd need to have an enormous amount of luck with injuries (no key ones for us, and some key ones for our main rivals) even to make the GF, let alone win it.

Therefore, I think it is reasonable for supporters of the club to take a critical look at the current management and the direction they are taking it. Although, as I have posted earlier, I do not think that GT is necessarily the answer.
The club is building after 7 wasted years under Richardson and Trout you imbecile and you want that fixed in 5 minutes?
WHERE WAS THOMAS when Archie Fraser was selling us down Seaford??????? Or when Trout was destroying us at the draft table rooting up the golden pick 1 choice we had???
Now wants back in?????
Lazy Herald Sun opinions .. just incredible no wonder we have been mediocre..
St Kilda - big on individual personalities.....light on Premierships .....,why?????
geezus it ain’t hard
You think it is okay to call meher baba an imbecile, do you? Why? Because he has a different opinion to your jaundiced one?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Josh Battle wrote: Sun 24 Oct 2021 1:15pm And when you get a thread that asks people to name their ‘best 22’…most people name Hannas in their team :cry:

He won’t play more than 10 games and even if we make finals, he might not get up at seasons end

The potential is there for St Kilda to make finals but if we assume that we play to our best over the course of the Home and Away season and we have minimal injuries at the pointy end, then we should assume that other top 8 teams and other top 8 contenders like Richmond/ Freo / Carlton and West Coast could ALSO have minimal injuries.

If they play to their best (especially Dogs, Dees, Port, Geelong, Brisbane and Essendon) and if we play to our best…who has shown they are the stronger teams? I left out the Giants and I reckon they’ll also make top 8 next year.

We can take short cuts and go for the Tahlia’s and the ready made recycled players, but we need to focus on developing our own. We must recruit the very best young talent and build a TEAM that aims to win the Bloody Thing in 3-4 years! If it happens early…like in 2023, then that’s fantastic (but last time I looked, we didn’t have players the caliber of Cyril, Lance, Jordan Lewis, Sam Mitchell, Luke Hodge, Bruest, Shiels, etc..)

Yep, yep and yep…

Yelp Yelp Yelp..

Go on and say it #ank, #ank, and #..

But seriously, I agree.

This thread has two distinct themes…

1) whether St Kilda football club is seriously flawed, in denial and just limping on with a flat tire and broken axle…to the extent a former somewhat larger than life personality should arrive at the door with a truck full of dynamite telling us he is just the Avon lady.

2) ongoing battle to redress legacy of a former coache and the club, by exalting the coach that followed.. It is not about Lyon vs GT, it is about GT is an destructive abomination or not, using Lyon as a reference.

I am more interested in the former.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Gee Damien Barrett isn't a Thomas fan, just listened to his podcast and believes Thomas is toxic. Strong words. He declared he and Thomas dislike for each other so clearly Barrett's views are tilted but still he more or less felt Thomas doesn't do anything unless there is something in it for himself and that Thomas is the last thing the club needs.

takeaway
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sun 24 Oct 2021 4:00pm Gee Damien Barrett isn't a Thomas fan, just listened to his podcast and believes Thomas is toxic. Strong words. He declared he and Thomas dislike for each other so clearly Barrett's views are tilted but still he more or less felt Thomas doesn't do anything unless there is something in it for himself and that Thomas is the last thing the club needs.
Plenty of of people agree with Barrett. Even go as far back as early 90's when Greg Miller, CEO of Nth Melb, got Thomas to come to North as Chairman of Selectors, and to give support to coach Schimmelbusch. A month later, Schimmelbusch had resigned (read sacked) , and has never again spoken to Thomas, who he says white anted him. The new coach, Denis Pagan, soon froze out Thomas, and Thomas left at the end of that year. Very brief, and not a great stint at North.

After a few years Thomas came back to the Saints as Match Committee chairman, only to be ejected from that position after about six matches at the request of coach Stan Alves.

Not exactly the form of a team player.

I agree that Thomas is the last thing the Saints need. A disruptive control freak. Maybe get Dentist Benge on the board, will that stop Grant Almighty from throwing sh*t on the Saints through the hungry media? I doubt it.

The current admin/coach have done a lot of things right recently, let’s hope they get off to a good start in 2022, and have good year. Otherwise, they will be cannon fodder for the Almighty.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sun 24 Oct 2021 4:40pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 24 Oct 2021 4:00pm Gee Damien Barrett isn't a Thomas fan, just listened to his podcast and believes Thomas is toxic. Strong words. He declared he and Thomas dislike for each other so clearly Barrett's views are tilted but still he more or less felt Thomas doesn't do anything unless there is something in it for himself and that Thomas is the last thing the club needs.
Plenty of of people agree with Barrett. Even go as far back as early 90's when Greg Miller, CEO of Nth Melb, got Thomas to come to North as Chairman of Selectors, and to give support to coach Schimmelbusch. A month later, Schimmelbusch had resigned (read sacked) , and has never again spoken to Thomas, who he says white anted him. The new coach, Denis Pagan, soon froze out Thomas, and Thomas left at the end of that year. Very brief, and not a great stint at North.

After a few years Thomas came back to the Saints as Match Committee chairman, only to be ejected from that position after about six matches at the request of coach Stan Alves.

I agree that Thomas is the last thing the Saints need. A disruptive control freak. Maybe get Dentist Benge on the board, will that stop Grant Almighty from throwing sh*t on the Saints through the hungry media? I doubt it.

The current admin/coach have done a lot of things right recently, let’s hope they get off to a good start in 2022, and have good year. Otherwise, they will be cannon fodder for the Almighty.
Yep, GT is more autocrat than team man…

Doesn’t change my opinion about the good he did 2001-2005/6 with our playing group. We stood proud.
Incredible turn around.

Damian Barrett? I believe your Dennis Pagans and all the others, Shimma, used in this narrative, are more than suspicious about the Barrett and what he represents…He is an opportunistic stirrer, replete with the appropriate political mask for the times and a cadre of rhetorical weapons that the media of our times needs to reward. Not knocking him, I love listening to him to be honest, but I take it with a grain of salt and I bet those with far more at stake than lil old me bear a legitimate grudge against his creed.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

And I think his sackings also include The Age, SEN and I believe Footy Classified, the AFL were forced to deny they played any part in the Sackings.

He's a devisive character, is he capable of representing the club in any official capcity effectively if he can't get along with people, especially the AFL and the media.

takeaway
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 24 Oct 2021 4:59pm

Doesn’t change my opinion about the good he did 2001-2005/6 with our playing group. We stood proud.
Incredible turn around.

Damian Barrett? I believe your Dennis Pagans and all the others, Shimma, used in this narrative, are more than suspicious about the Barrett and what he represents…He is an opportunistic stirrer, replete with the appropriate political mask for the times and a cadre of rhetorical weapons that the media of our times needs to reward. Not knocking him, I love listening to him to be honest, but I take it with a grain of salt and I bet those with far more at stake than lil old me bear a legitimate grudge against his creed.
Is your last para about Barrett or GT?

Doesn't change my opinion either of what he did in 2001-6, had some success, but with the best playing group the Saints have ever had. Any coach could hardly have failed, and what would an experienced, even half reasonable coach have done? Probably at least one flag.
GT tried to win a flag with attack only, minimal ruckmen, and no defensive strategy needed in finals. He realised his error later in his tenure, but too late. Lack of experience and knowhow. This has been debated ad infinitum, but one salient point of his tenure is that he tried to run everything, from coaching, to fitness, to player contracts, to tourism advisor, AFL thorn in the side, theatre usher, you name it. Not a team player. Happy to get Benge in if GT stays out.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sun 24 Oct 2021 5:18pm

Incredible turn around.

Doesn't change my opinion either of what he did in 2001-6, had some success, but with the best playing group the Saints have ever had. Any coach could hardly have failed, and what would an experienced, even half reasonable coach have done? Probably at least one flag.
GT tried to win a flag with attack only, minimal ruckmen, and no defensive strategy needed in finals. He realised his error later in his tenure, but too late. Lack of experience and knowhow. This has been debated ad infinitum, but one salient point of his tenure is that he tried to run everything, from coaching, to fitness, to player contracts, to tourism advisor, AFL thorn in the side, theatre usher, you name it. Not a team player. Happy to get Benge in if GT stays out.
Yes, I agree Takeway Dimmie.
Can’t resist a dimmie…

Of course I am referring to Barrett and not GT!

GT is the opposite of an opportunist in the sense that Barrett can deftly surf the waves and dance upon the clouds of doubt and leverage the political tension. GT is like a dreadnought. He’s steaming through, crashing through the waves almost blindly, fog horn blaring, hitting mine after mine, shooting off torpedoes Willy nilly.

I think the reason - one reason - we go back to the Thomson era so much, is because it got our hearts racing back then, for the first time since we were kids, or in my case, the first time period. Stan Alves’s success seemed very fleeting, almost unbelievable. Round five 1997 to the end of of ‘98, barely 14 months of goodness, then, well we all know what happened.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Would Making Thomas President of the club be akin to making Trump President of the USA, would it be a wild ride and possibly end in unhinged madness.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

see next post ...
Last edited by samoht on Sun 24 Oct 2021 6:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Bad luck with injuries was the only reason we didn't win a flag under GT ...

This is the 2004 prelim vs Port on their home turf, and in front of their parochial fans, this was how close we came.

FINAL SCOREBOARD
PORT ADELAIDE 4.0 8.3 10.8 14.10 (94)
ST KILDA 4.5 7.5 10.9 13.10 (88)

Hamill missed this crucial final (with his "2 week" injury), Kosi played injured and Goddard was badly injured and went off in the first quarter.

Port went on to smash Brisbane in the GF.
That should have been us doing that to Brisbane.

Don't tell me we wouldn't have beaten Port that day had Hamill played (instead of the useless Guerra who managed 2 kicks for the whole game and was only in the side because of Hamill's absence) .
Hamill was built for the finals - we would have been a 6 goal better side had he played and run away with that game - even in Adelaide.

takeaway
Club Player

samoht wrote: Sun 24 Oct 2021 6:03pm Bad luck with injuries was the only reason we didn't win a flag under GT ...

This is the 2004 prelim vs Port on their home turf, and in front of their parochial fans, this was how close we came.

FINAL SCOREBOARD

Hamill missed this crucial final (with his "2 week" injury), Kosi played injured and Goddard was badly injured and went off in the first quarter.

Don't tell me we wouldn't have beaten Port that day had Hamill played (instead of the useless Guerra who managed 2 kicks for the whole game and was only in the side because of Hamill's absence) .
Hamill was built for the finals - we would have been a 6 goal better side had he played and run away with that game - even in Adelaide.
Ah, the old injury nut again. Most coaches could use that excuse most games. You could talk excuses until the cows come home. Port smashed Bris in GF, eh? Who smashed Saints in Qualifying final & hence sent us to Port for the Prelim? Brisbane.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Sun 24 Oct 2021 6:03pm Bad luck with injuries was the only reason we didn't win a flag under GT ...

FINAL SCOREBOARD

And what stopped us from winning in 2005 and 2006

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

FINAL SCOREBOARD

Except you are forgetting we got beat by the Brions by 45pts in Rd21 and then by 80pts in the Qualifying Final

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

GT is a sort of Winston Churchill figure. Pretty obnoxious in times of peace but perfect if you want to shake things up and inject some fighting spirit.

As such, he should be used wisely.

Let's hope that in 2022 we're not (a) physically unprepared; (b) mentally unprepared (players going missing, etc); (c) riddled with injuries; (d) prone to erratic performances.

If that happens again, why not unleash GT?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 24 Oct 2021 7:52pm GT is a sort of Winston Churchill figure. Pretty obnoxious in times of peace but perfect if you want to shake things up and inject some fighting spirit.

Let's hope that in 2022 we're not (a) physically unprepared; (b) mentally unprepared (players going missing, etc); (c) riddled with injuries; (d) prone to erratic performances.

Let's hope so.

Escuse me while i slip my Damien Barret hat on...

Ahhh...that's better..

Now seriously Waltzing Matilda, (said in controlled and understated tones..)

Do you think Ratts is under pressure in 2022?

Say we go to the bye at 4 and 7?

edit: i warn myself, i cannot blame Barrett for my troubles!

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Course Ratts is under pressure. One year left on his contract. Clarko available in 2023.

I hope he has a super 2022. Seems like a terrific bloke. But, as Confucius say, nice guys finish last.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 24 Oct 2021 9:54pm Course Ratts is under pressure. One year left on his contract. Clarko available in 2023.

I hope he has a super 2022. Seems like a terrific bloke. But, as Confucius say, nice guys finish last.
Ahhh, so this is history repeating???

Thomas beats his chest about getting Clarko, offers him more money than god (after due diligence of course), then realises early in his first year that Clarko could not give a fat rat's about St Kilda. Clarko is sacked leaving the Club a monster bill. Thommo finds himself the only one in the powder room with his hand up when they ask, "Who's gonna coach us now?"

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 24 Oct 2021 9:54pm Course Ratts is under pressure. One year left on his contract. Clarko available in 2023.

Yes, but as Confucius adds, he who go bye 4-7, go bye-bye?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sun 24 Oct 2021 5:18pm

Incredible turn around.

You’re making way too much sense TA - great post.
The GT sycophants will be out with pitch forks....
I’d only differ on 1 point ..
Benge the dentist stays out.....anyone who has to get rent a quote media mates to do their bidding via media doesn’t belong on our Board

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sun 24 Oct 2021 6:59pm

FINAL SCOREBOARD

Ah, the old injury nut again. Most coaches could use that excuse most games. You could talk excuses until the cows come home. Port smashed Bris in GF, eh? Who smashed Saints in Qualifying final & hence sent us to Port for the Prelim? Brisbane.
Yup

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 24 Oct 2021 7:52pm GT is a sort of Winston Churchill figure. Pretty obnoxious in times of peace but perfect if you want to shake things up and inject some fighting spirit.

Why not indeed. Wherever he gets involved, there appears to be success that follows. So what if he upsets a few people

The alternative is we leave Finnis in the job another 9 years...Or...

Why not let Lethlean make those fabulous decisions he's been making. He's built his reputation on good decision making hasn't he....oh hang on!!

Some posters have twisted the argument and introduced the coach into the equation here. This is not about the coach or Libba. This is about Finnis and Lethlean

As far as the specifics that you mention regarding injuries to players and some of our guys not performing or not fronting up at the start of the season in peak condition...

Once again these events are due to the fabulous decisions made by Finnis and Lethlean and more specifically the people they employ and the trades they endorsed
Last edited by Scollop on Mon 25 Oct 2021 2:15am, edited 1 time in total.