Good Bye Billings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Good Bye Billings

SaintPav wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 10:48am He's not having a good year but he's probably being severely hampered by a few injuries.
That’s true but I wouldn’t look at this year in isolation
We’ve got 6 years of JBs work to go off and truthfully in that time he’s played maybe a handful of memorable games?
In some ways it’s not his fault, he should’ve been pick 18-20 and no probs you’re probably getting what you pay for
At 3 commanding big coin he’s scrutinised
I think he also knows taking big $$ abs going to new club puts that target firmly on his back and I’m not convinced he can handle big moment pressure now tbh

“Yeah….nah””
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

He did kick the opening goal and had better games than Crouch and Membrey, who are probably in good coin themselves.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 10:53am He did kick the opening goal and had better games than Crouch and Membrey, who are probably in good coin themselves.
Not sure what was up with Crouch but let’s not slag him for 1 bad game he’s been great this year
Membrey gets a free pass too often for mine I think he’s been ordinary this year tbh and his output started to wane
He’s serviceable but last week woeful and this week not much better which is why we desperately need another genuine forward option to take pressure off King
Marshall is part time
Membrey can then play mid sized role he’s better suited to imo

“Yeah….nah””
takeaway
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 10:42am
takeaway wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 9:02am
Teflon wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 12:16am
Ghost Like wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 12:11am We all ask for things we don't get. This began when I asked for examples of him shirking contests...crickets.

I stated he played some match winning games, I guess he must have gone OK in some. 6 matches where he polled 3 Brownlow votes as a quick piece of research. His Top 10 games for us have some elite stats, so seems to go OK at times - he's no Bont. At least that's an answer, more of an answer than I've received for examples of shirking contests.

I say he's worth up to $600K simply because he's better value to us than whatever 2nd round, possibly 3rd round draft pick that would generate.

Jack Steele I'm guessing / hoping will be heavily rewarded on his next contract if what you say is true.

In terms of your question, I see some logic in the desire & reasoning but due to their out of contract status (Billings & Dunstan) I cannot see how that could be done. Why those players would allow that when they've reached a stage of their career they can dictate terms, it would take some selling.
Yawn (sorry I didn’t read it all you’re just meandering now to avoid the facts)

Here’s some facts :

Billings today
Billings 9 kicks 6 HB 0 Tackles
On top of a miss 35 out right in front
I recall your were desperate to get Billings off the list last year. What is it? His haircut? You prefer right footers? Change for change's sake?

I bet you are first in line at the stocktake sales.

If Billings goes, we get a pick close to 30, a big loss.
You’re a funny guy the only thing you lack is humour..
I’ve been off Billings for a while - why???
Pay packet does not match output ....don’t need to be a genius to work that out...
He plays a relatively safe HFF position abs doesn’t impact games
I’d go as far as saying with Byrnes, Gresham, Higgins and now possibly Connolly (who I want kicking the ball into forward 50) it’s questionable where Billings sits in our best side off his current output.
Anyhoo you keep being not very funny.
We need every player with good disposal skills we can get. 21 disposals avge for career is pretty good, especially as a lot of it is as a HFF.

What is his pay packet? Can you guarantee we'll get a better or even as good a player as Billings with pick 30?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 11:48am
Ghost Like wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 12:11am We all ask for things we don't get. This began when I asked for examples of him shirking contests...crickets.

I stated he played some match winning games, I guess he must have gone OK in some. 6 matches where he polled 3 Brownlow votes as a quick piece of research. His Top 10 games for us have some elite stats, so seems to go OK at times - he's no Bont. At least that's an answer, more of an answer than I've received for examples of shirking contests.

I say he's worth up to $600K simply because he's better value to us than whatever 2nd round, possibly 3rd round draft pick that would generate.

Jack Steele I'm guessing / hoping will be heavily rewarded on his next contract if what you say is true.

In terms of your question, I see some logic in the desire & reasoning but due to their out of contract status (Billings & Dunstan) I cannot see how that could be done. Why those players would allow that when they've reached a stage of their career they can dictate terms, it would take some selling.

Here’s some facts :

Billings today
I recall your were desperate to get Billings off the list last year. What is it? His haircut? You prefer right footers? Change for change's sake?

Pay packet does not match output ....don’t need to be a genius to work that out...
I’d go as far as saying with Byrnes, Gresham, Higgins and now possibly Connolly (who I want kicking the ball into forward 50) it’s questionable where Billings sits in our best side off his current output.
We need every player with good disposal skills we can get. 21 disposals avge for career is pretty good, especially as a lot of it is as a HFF.

What is his pay packet? Can you guarantee we'll get a better or even as good a player as Billings with pick 30?
So you’re happy to pay him North of 700 on current output??
Crouch on 600 much better output this year???
Time to pony up - what’s your Billings offer to keep him?????

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

How do you know what Billings and Crouch’s current salary is?

Media reports??

If so, you’re just guessing?!

I’d pay Billings and Crouch about the same money

Both B+ Grade players on average

They play different positions and have different styles

One is more highly skilled and one is a contested ball winner

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

This is what's interesting. What started as "if" appears to have become fact. Those that don't rate him expect a high draft pick as compensation. Makes no sense.

A salary between $500K and $600K will not trigger this mythical high draft pick they covet so now they are left with a mid 2nd round pick.

He's on whatever the Club rates his worth. Clubs like St Kilda are never helped by having to pay X amount of a salary cap. It's Hannebery's salary that must cause some angst.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We will get around pick 20-25 for Billings if he chooses to go via free agency

We will get around pick 40 if Dunstan does

takeaway
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 1:17pm
takeaway wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 11:48am

Here’s some facts :

Billings today

So you’re happy to pay him North of 700 on current output??
Crouch on 600 much better output this year???
Time to pony up - what’s your Billings offer to keep him?????
Crouch is a midfielder, Billings HFF/Wing. How would Crouch go at HFF? Different players, different positions, how do you compare their output, especially as Billings has been playing injured for much of the year?

We have no idea what $$ they are on, but I would value Billings (when fully fit) the same level as Crouch. Billings has played FP, HFF, wing, HBF, mid and I would argue is more versatile than Crouch.

I would rather pay enough to retain Billings than risk getting a dud at a pick around 30.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Unless he forms part of some fantastic deal, Billings is staying.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

What numbers do we expect from a HF

Midfield numbers?

I would take 16-20 per game
And around a goal per game

Did anyone notice the knee he got in the head from Yeo
Another example of him putting his head over the footy

Laurie
Club Player

Hope their working hard on a deal.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 1:48pm How do you know what Billings and Crouch’s current salary is?

Media reports??

If so, you’re just guessing?!

I’d pay Billings and Crouch about the same money

Both B+ Grade players on average

They play different positions and have different styles

One is more highly skilled and one is a contested ball winner
What an odd question??
I’ve been intricately involved in both player negotiations...
Ofcourse media reports!!!!!!!
FFS how do we on here know half our dribble we crap on with????
Crouches salary was WIDElY reported abs I know Billings output hasn’t equaled that or you going to tell me next Billings has had as good a year????
Do go on...

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 2:03pm This is what's interesting. What started as "if" appears to have become fact. Those that don't rate him expect a high draft pick as compensation. Makes no sense.

A salary between $500K and $600K will not trigger this mythical high draft pick they covet so now they are left with a mid 2nd round pick.

He's on whatever the Club rates his worth. Clubs like St Kilda are never helped by having to pay X amount of a salary cap. It's Hannebery's salary that must cause some angst.
Yes just like the Facts you were going to post about his barnstorming games to justify a 600k salary ....which we are all still waiting for ...

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 2:53pm What numbers do we expect from a HF

Midfield numbers?

I would take 16-20 per game
And around a goal per game

Did anyone notice the knee he got in the head from Yeo
Another example of him putting his head over the footy
Lol so now Billings 15 possessions 1 goal and no tackle games acceptable?????
Ok.....what are you prepared to pay for that ??? Sane money as Crouch??
What a silly comment for a supposed “elite” AFL ball user who isn’t reliable in front of goal at all and whose disposals are typically dinky kicks along the boundary line or backwards....
Unlike a young Connolly who actually looks to take the game on ...till we belt that out of him...,

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 2:16pm We will get around pick 20-25 for Billings if he chooses to go via free agency

We will get around pick 40 if Dunstan does
If we can squeeze a second for Dunstan off his recent form we should take it and run
Bytel will take that position with better disposal given the time - he’s 22 next year abs has just missed a heap of footy so needs a run at it.
Clarke too needs to push up into midfield....he needs to get the tank to play there....now or never
I’m actually not totally against moving all of Dunstan, Ross and Billings for the right price
I can see, when we get a full side back, spots becoming tight.....Gresham, Byrnes could both complete for a HFF with Billings right now and I think they have him covered tbh
Ross will soon be depth.
Ironically, list wise we are now weeding out the beige Richo era many of who will not take us to a flag (handy depth) ....only DMac weirdly starts to look essential..
With Byrnes, Bytel, Connolly, Highmore plus a potential top 5 mid this draft and some (pray) academy players coming in ...we are starting to see the turnover of this list take shape .....need to pick well now.

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Byrnes got Billings covered

Cmon man!!!

silverhalo
Club Player

Billings is a very good player although I don't think he has lived up to his potential and salary for that fact. Unfortunately, even if nobody admits to it, he's always compared to the Bont as we chose him instead - he'll always have that pressure on him.

As has been said already, don't think we'd get much for him by way of a compensation pick so better off trying to keep him on board

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why will he be compared to Bont

Billings was seen as the obvious choice at #3 and Bont was a bolter at 4

Taking a HF with pick 3 is another conversation

But you could say that about any champion taken in the draft

Is McEvoy compared to Danger
Is Sampi Compared to Bartel
Is whoever was the pick before Fyfe (19) compared to him

As a HF Jack performs well

How many match winning HFs are there in the AFL?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I'm 50 each way on Billings. I think he stays but I hope we dont over pay? It has been reported that in his earlier contract because of our then list structure he was on big dollars, he doesnt deserve what Steele & Crouch are on.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Sun 25 Jul 2021 6:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

silverhalo
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 6:34pm Why will he be compared to Bont

Billings was seen as the obvious choice at #3 and Bont was a bolter at 4

Taking a HF with pick 3 is another conversation

But you could say that about any champion taken in the draft

Is McEvoy compared to Danger
Is Sampi Compared to Bartel
Is whoever was the pick before Fyfe (19) compared to him

As a HF Jack performs well

How many match winning HFs are there in the AFL?
I can't give an explanation as to why he's always compared to The Bont but he is always is......I agree with your sentiment though, we're all draft experts in hindsight.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

"Barnstorming" now! You're funny.

I did reply to you Teflon, you chose not to read it. I'm still waiting for all the examples of contests that he's shirked.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Been reported by who?

Still waiting for someone to tell me how they know the details of Billings current contract

And

How they know what’s on the table for his next contract

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 7:01pm Been reported by who?

Still waiting for someone to tell me how they know the details of Billings current contract

And

I thought you knew!

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 7:01pm Been reported by who?

And

Straight from the man himself!