I think Dal To North via Free Agency

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Re: I think Dal To North via Free Agency

joffaboy wrote:Really dissapointed if this is the case
Yep, I reckon we got bent over

I love this club
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:St Kilda had their hands tied. Forget about being sentimental. In this day and age HTFU

Mot really. we obviously had no problems with him going otherwise he had to stay. From the end of the season it appeared to me we had as much interest in keeping him as we did in keeping BJ last year. None.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Really dissapointed if this is the case
Yep, I reckon we got bent over

Yeah a 30 year old that we didnt delist or force to retire netted us pick 22. Hardly bent over if we get Delaney as well.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

This is confusing...
St Kilda's Nick Dal Santo will join North Melbourne as a free agent today after paperwork was completed Friday to confirm Dal Santo as a free agent.
Dal Santo will now receive a contract offer from North Melbourne as an unrestricted free agent.
St Kilda and Dal Santo agreed not to act on a clause in his existing contract that could have seen him re-signed for next season with the Saints and so opening the door for him to be considered a restricted free agent.
North Melbourne has offered Dal Santo a three-year deal as a free agent which Dal Santo has chosen to accept. St Kilda will not match the North Melbourne offer and so releases Dal Santo to become a Roo.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/n ... z2i2CYQsTl
The first line says "unrestricted" so we receive no compensation.
The second line says "restricted"
The third line says we are not matching the offer hence implying restricted as there is no opportunity for the club to match an offer on an unrestricted Free Agent.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

LLS said we get a compo pick... 2nd round, if i read correctly.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:St Kilda had their hands tied. Forget about being sentimental. In this day and age HTFU

Mot really. we obviously had no problems with him going otherwise he had to stay. From the end of the season it appeared to me we had as much interest in keeping him as we did in keeping BJ last year. None.
You forget his contract clause had us paying him 650k next year. There's other factors, so yes, one hand was tied at the very least.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

How so?

Dal is a contracted player, we could have kept him for another year and then convince him to stay.

Worst case scenario is we lose him for nothing next trade period (if compo is taken away from FA) or we get to keep him, or get a compo for FA next year.

usually not too critical of the trading process and not really sentimental about players but felt we have done a dud deal.

A Saints champ who is contracted gets released for what? At best #22 FFS :roll: :roll:

We had the whip hand but we went down on our knees quicker than a $2 whore.

Really pissed at this. Hopefully (always hoping) this turns out when the trading full picture is done.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Plenty of cap room now. We should be looking at free agents for next season NOW.

Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

8856brother wrote:Plenty of cap room now. We should be looking at free agents for next season NOW.

Think they'll have been doing that since last season - would be an ongoing process............

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

so what's the position on Fisher... any deal to be done there? or is nothing going to happen today?

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

How so?

Dal is a contracted player, we could have kept him for another year and then convince him to stay.

Worst case scenario is we lose him for nothing next trade period (if compo is taken away from FA) or we get to keep him, or get a compo for FA next year.

usually not too critical of the trading process and not really sentimental about players but felt we have done a dud deal.

A Saints champ who is contracted gets released for what? At best #22 FFS :roll: :roll:

We had the whip hand but we went down on our knees quicker than a $2 whore.

Really pissed at this. Hopefully (always hoping) this turns out when the trading full picture is done.
Spot on.

I love this club
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:so what's the position on Fisher... any deal to be done there? or is nothing going to happen today?
He's contracted. We have until next Friday to sort all other deals out. Next week we will be busy. Jolly, Bruce, Longer, Delany (probably now done). Fisher and maybe another surprise.

Dal wont be playing in our next finals side and so has been helped moved on. We get a very usable pick for a bloke that has played his best footy. I love Dal but this is a good thing for the footbal club going forward.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

You forget his contract clause had us paying him 650k next year. There's other factors, so yes, one hand was tied at the very least.

No they werent. We have the money in the SC and probably now have to overpay players. He just had a contract like any player if we really wanted him to play for us. it wasnt up to him.

elvis lives
Club Player

Every single person at North must be absolutely laughing their fecking asses off right now.

"So what did we have to give up for Dal?"

"Would you beleive nothing? We told them that we wanted them to release him from their contract and hope for a mid-20s pick from the AFL... and they bought it!"

"wowee! suckers"

I am marching in the Saints army
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Dal wont be playing in our next finals side
Well that is now certain.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

So whats the point to hanging onto him? In a years time we may be forced to do what Geelong did to Chappy or Collingwood to Didak. At least this way he is being looked after and so are we.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

elvis lives wrote:Every single person at North must be absolutely laughing their fecking asses off right now.

"So what did we have to give up for Dal?"

"Would you beleive nothing? We told them that we wanted them to release him from their contract and hope for a mid-20s pick from the AFL... and they bought it!"

"wowee! suckers"
Actually they said "We rang the Bombers and asked how to deal with the Saints. They said take one of their stars, offer the Saints nothing and they will go begging to the AFL for a dp.

"Oh its that easy is it"

"you betcha"

"you think they would respect their champions more"

"lol - I mean, its the Saints"

<General Laughter>

Lance or James??

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

So whats the point to hanging onto him? In a years time we may be forced to do what Geelong did to Chappy or Collingwood to Didak. At least this way he is being looked after and so are we.
Well from my perspective we dont have the calibre of player to do what Watters had Dal Santo doing for the last 10 games of the season, i.e. play the Goddard type role.

That is, he ran around Half Back untagged, seting up our attacks with his accurate kicking skills.

We lost Goddard, our best kick in the team, now we have lost Dal, the second best kick in the team.

By your reckoning we should get rid of Roo, Joey, and Lenny as well, because they fall in the exact same category as Dal.

Lance or James??

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Either way. s*** deal. Free agency doing its finest again. Changed the game, not for the better. Couldn't give a rats nearly now, wont take much more. I know I know, Joffaboy, don't let the door hit my arse on the way out.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

So we've lost Dal Santo and Goddard over the last two years. Saints must be a rabble. What about Buddy, Ablett, Daisy, H Shaw, Bock, Scully, Judd etc. I could go on. Players move and only now it's easier with free agency.

ace
Saintsational Legend

OK now that Dal is gone as a free agent what do we get.
We have picks 3, 20, 37 before compensation picks.
Gold Coast have a left over compensation pick after the end of first round.
Collingwood would be hoping for mid first round pick as compensation for Dale Thomas but may get an end of first round instead.
Hawthorn can not be given anything but a mid first round pick for Buddy Franklin given the size of his contract.

Dal Santo's age will probably prevent St Kilda getting a mid first round pick - 4
So the best we could hope for is end of first round
If this were the case Thomas & Buddy would both definitely be mid first round so we get pick 20

But more likely mid second round.
Our second round pick will have already slipped 3 places from 20 to 23, that would mean pick 24.

But the AFL could be mean and give us only end of round 2 now being pick 37
or even mid round 3 where our third round pick will have slipped from 37 to 40 or even 41 if Colin Sylvia slips in as a mid third round.
That would be pick 41 or 42.

Personally I am all in favour of us getting pick 4.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:Either way. s*** deal. Free agency doing its finest again. Changed the game, not for the better. Couldn't give a rats nearly now, wont take much more. I know I know, Joffaboy, don't let the door hit my arse on the way out.

No not at all. Wearing me down as well.

GWS will be unbeatable in a couple of years, just when we are coming good.

What chance will we have against them or GC?

AND they get #1 and #2 AGAIN this draft.

How in hell are we supposed to compete?

Getting trying

Lance or James??

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

8856brother wrote:
ShanghaiSaint wrote:so what's the position on Fisher... any deal to be done there? or is nothing going to happen today?
He's contracted. We have until next Friday to sort all other deals out. Next week we will be busy. Jolly, Bruce, Longer, Delany (probably now done). Fisher and maybe another surprise.
cheers...

Fortius Quo Fidelius
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:Either way. s*** deal. Free agency doing its finest again. Changed the game, not for the better. Couldn't give a rats nearly now, wont take much more. I know I know, Joffaboy, don't let the door hit my arse on the way out.

No not at all. Wearing me down as well.

GWS will be unbeatable in a couple of years, just when we are coming good.

What chance will we have against them or GC?

AND they get #1 and #2 AGAIN this draft.

How in hell are we supposed to compete?

Getting trying

I wouldnt give up. We havent won a flag for 47 years for many reasons. We will take at least 5 years to come good. GC will be nearly on the way down then and GWS will have salary cap issues. Its not like we follow a side that wins a flag every ten years. We have won one in 140 years so this is just another hurdle to overcome.