Ledger delisted

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ledger delisted

dragit wrote:
BigMart wrote:He'll make it easily....

A bloke I know umpires VFL and I've said it before, they have discussed him often at training... Is rated by them as above the level and from a consistency POV in the best couple in the VFL in a s*** team!

Most of his issues are grossly exaggerated on here, seen by his clean games r21/22 .... I reckon he's a good dual sided kick.... Decision making is sloppy and panicky ..... The common at stk....

Defensive running.... NO supporters even watch that, that's regurgitated garbage IMO ......

Most guys look scrappy in the VFL less space, less talent, less fitness, less structure, CONDITIONS
In a s*** VFL team he finished 14th in the b&f... Only 126 votes behind cockie.

Yes but those votes werent given by the umpires.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Could possibly get rookied by Freo - and play WAFL and look for a mid year promotion at Freo.
The irony is he is a better % chance for a flag than the entire Saints list (hes probably 5% - compared to 0% for 2014).

I have no real opinion on TL based on not having seen him play enough. My only call last year was we should have given him at least 5 games so we could at least have some information to make an informed decision at years end (churn and learn). Playing TDL in a couple fewer games wouldn't have hurt us. So I was perplexed with what was happening. Clearly he did something to piss the Coach off.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:He wanted to be delisted.
I heard him interviewed on TWR today and he said he'd spoken to the club about a knew contract and they were going to test him in the trade market and they were only 50/50 on keeping him. He went on to say delisting himself (with the club agreeing) was a strategic move to become a delisted free agent and become more appealing to prospective clubs who wouldn't have to offer picks / players for him. I rate the kid. A club could do a lot worse than offer him a spot on the rookie list.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He was crucified in the B&F this year IMO, he was definitely a favourite of the coaches I know that, as could be seen in selection.... He did finish high in 2011 & 12?

Cockie was a clear standout no doubt about it.... But probably at his level... He smashed contested ball

Ledger has the knack of just finding the footy... When rotating on, he will get a touch within a minute, either inside or outside... Some players just have game sense... Sam Mitchell, Mark McGough, Jack Steven.... Sorts of players who just seem to know where to run to get possession or can read it off hands....

Ledger was clearly unhappy at StK and I believe he was pissed that 1st year players were given games before him this year....in his mind he deserved a game ahead of Saunders, Murdoch and Webster... He was further punished for this attitude.... He was not a favourite at StK

He frustrated Simon McPhee

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He was crucified in the B&F this year IMO, he was definitely a favourite of the coaches I know that, as could be seen in selection.... He did finish high in 2011 & 12?

Cockie was a clear standout no doubt about it.... But probably at his level... He smashed contested ball

Ledger has the knack of just finding the footy... When rotating on, he will get a touch within a minute, either inside or outside... Some players just have game sense... Sam Mitchell, Mark McGough, Jack Steven.... Sorts of players who just seem to know where to run to get possession or can read it off hands....

Ledger was clearly unhappy at StK and I believe he was pissed that 1st year players were given games before him this year....in his mind he deserved a game ahead of Saunders, Murdoch and Webster... He was further punished for this attitude.... He was not a favourite at StK

How do you know all that?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He was crucified in the B&F this year IMO, he was definitely a favourite of the coaches I know that, as could be seen in selection.... He did finish high in 2011 & 12?

So where did Ledger finish in the B&F in 2012, 3rd 4th maybe 5th, I remember Curren won it, anyone know, I don't reckon he finished in the top 8 or 9 at least....

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
gringo wrote:He wanted to be delisted.
I heard him interviewed on TWR today and he said he'd spoken to the club about a knew contract and they were going to test him in the trade market and they were only 50/50 on keeping him. He went on to say delisting himself (with the club agreeing) was a strategic move to become a delisted free agent and become more appealing to prospective clubs who wouldn't have to offer picks / players for him. I rate the kid. A club could do a lot worse than offer him a spot on the rookie list.

article related-
sensible and saw where he sat in the pecking order
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-02/l ... ith-saints

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

A favourite of the coaches, so who crucified him in the B&F? Are you saying the coaches loved him but deliberately didn't vote for him?

Would have to be one of the most ridiculous posts ever on this forum!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Gotta say - I loved Ledger's "I was told id be 50-50, but the call hadn't been made yet - So I made the call myself".

This is such a great move, increasing at least his chances of finding somewhere. Club obviously would trade and if no trade came delist, surely.

Unless someone can convince me its not the right move in this instance?

duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

It's interesting that he said he is "hedging his bets"(?)

No, Mr. Ledger.... you just did the complete opposite.

All your eggs are now in one basket.

I thought the kid had a bright future a couple of years ago... shame it didn't work out.

But can't see him making us ever look like this was a bad move.

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

A club can now take him without having to trade ...... Smart move in two ways

Get to club of choice easier....

Will train with Freo prior to Rookie draft

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Still don't get it. IMO we aren't in the market for Mitchie as if we were we should've used him as trade bait.

The delisted player free agency is at the end of all drafts etc isn't it? (Are there two periods?). So why did we delist him prior to trade week.

The only reason I can think of is a club only wants to rookie him, in which case they can't pick him up as a delisted free agent anyway (they go on the main list).

Just doesn't make sense to delist him so that another club can get him for free. Unless we had a dodgy deal with Freo from the Robbo delisting?

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not good by us.... Smart by ledger....

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Not good by us.... Smart by ledger....
Except there was still a chance that we'd keep him on the list, so if he doesn't get picked up by someone else then his gamble has failed.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Again, do you think his management hasen't canvassed other clubs....

The response was likely, we won't trade a pick or player for him, but if he's still there late or in the rookie draft... Well select him.

StK should have waited until the end of the trade period until letting him walk if they could of...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Again, do you think his management hasen't canvassed other clubs....

The response was likely, we won't trade a pick or player for him, but if he's still there late or in the rookie draft... Well select him.

StK should have waited until the end of the trade period until letting him walk if they could of...

Why would they do that if you think the responses were as you said? Sounds like you are saying we wouldnt have got a trade for him so why keep him? I reckon there is no way ledger was worth anything. 8 games in 3 years suggests that. We got Roberton through a delisting and he played about 30 games in 2 years. Not all players are tradable. He wanted to be delisted and we did the right thing.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Again, do you think his management hasen't canvassed other clubs....

They did the right thing by Ledger. Why blame the club when they granted him his wish.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why was that his wish?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

errrr
that he could be delisted so he could go out and tech be a free agent

thats what he wanted
so thats what he got

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why was that his wish?

Because he didn't see a future when they were giving games to new recruits and not him. there was some reason they didn't value his game. As an outsider with no actual idea I would say his fitness meant his endurance was a bit iffy and his disposal especially under pressure was a bit messy. Pelchen doesn't see poor disposal as an attractive trait even if the player has other qualities.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Steven, Gilbert, Jones, Ray, Saunders..... Have poor disposal

He left, as you rightly said because he was not rated.... Like Luke Ball. He wants a fresh start to eliminate the reputation he has forged with attitudinal mistakes at StK. will he make it? I think so.... Should he have been delisted? Probably... He didn't make the most of his time at StK and suffered because of that.

Lots of players need to be cut and then get another chance which they then appreciate...

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Steven, Gilbert, Jones, Ray, Saunders..... Have poor disposal

He left, as you rightly said because he was not rated.... Like Luke Ball. He wants a fresh start to eliminate the reputation he has forged with attitudinal mistakes at StK. will he make it? I think so.... Should he have been delisted? Probably... He didn't make the most of his time at StK and suffered because of that.

Lots of players need to be cut and then get another chance which they then appreciate...
So what's your actual point? You're saying that he should have been delisted and also that the club made a mistake in delisting him. You're saying that the club should have tried to trade him and also that they wouldn't have got anything if they tried to trade him. You're saying that he wouldn't have made it at St Kilda and also that the club should have kept him. I'm confused.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
BigMart wrote:Steven, Gilbert, Jones, Ray, Saunders..... Have poor disposal

So what's your actual point? You're saying that he should have been delisted and also that the club made a mistake in delisting him. You're saying that the club should have tried to trade him and also that they wouldn't have got anything if they tried to trade him. You're saying that he wouldn't have made it at St Kilda and also that the club should have kept him. I'm confused.
I cant understand it either. BM's reasoning is all over the shop.

I hope young Ledger gets another crack, am dissapointed he didn't stay, but it was in the best interests of all parties. Ledger needs to try again, Saints need to churn through the players, Ledger needs to give himself the best opportunity.

Cant see how the club is at fault here, but hey, I am sure they should be critisised for, well something...

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:errrr
that he could be delisted so he could go out and tech be a free agent

thats what he wanted
so thats what he got
I don't get why this is still being debated? :?:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

My point is

I think he will be an AFL footballer?!

Some are arguing that because we delisted him, he is garbage, and using all sorts of fluff in some sort of honourable defence of the decision...

Having said that, his attitude at StK cost him dearly, and is the reason he was not given the opportunities he thinks he deserved. ...

Whether the decision was right or wrong.... I am not arguing. It's probably a necessary decision though....