Watters performance

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Watters performance

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

I bet not one expert had us on 3 to 4 wins at the end of the season. Not one.
Con is right in 98/100 experts had us down the bottom and by bottom most are talking bottom 4-6 which can be as low as 4-6 wins. We are three wins presently and could snare one or two more before the end of the season so just because you got it horribly wrong isn't anything to be embarrassed about nor should it be the main reason you take 5 marks of the coach in charge of a side at the bottom of an equalisation cycle. Hey but everyone to their own and if you don't like the coach because he hasn't got you enough wins this season then I feel for you in the next couple of years. Gee you must have been a sook in the 70s and 80s.

I reckon not one person in the media would have thought our side may only win for 4 games this season. If you want to think some would have to justify your rating of SW go ahead if it makes you feel better. And when did it become the main reason for taking 5 marks off his coaching? If we are going to discuss this then you shouldnt make up things and why would I be embarressed if we won more games. maybe when you predict something negative you want it to happen to prove you are right where as I would be over the moon if we won very game from now on but we are dicussing SW now. It could change in 6 weeks.

And when did I say I dont like the coach? Please stop making things up. And why would i have been a sook in the 70's and 80's? Dont get that at all. Again it just a silly comment on top of about 3 others in your short little speech.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I bet not one expert had us on 3 to 4 wins at the end of the season. Not one.
Then maybe they're not experts after all.

Well it seems there are no experts in any form of tipping because my guess is they wouldnt be working anymore.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con is right in 98/100 experts had us down the bottom and by bottom most are talking bottom 4-6 which can be as low as 4-6 wins. We are three wins presently and could snare one or two more before the end of the season so just because you got it horribly wrong isn't anything to be embarrassed about nor should it be the main reason you take 5 marks of the coach in charge of a side at the bottom of an equalisation cycle. Hey but everyone to their own and if you don't like the coach because he hasn't got you enough wins this season then I feel for you in the next couple of years. Gee you must have been a sook in the 70s and 80s.

I reckon not one person in the media would have thought our side may only win for 4 games this season. If you want to think some would have to justify your rating of SW go ahead if it makes you feel better. And when did it become the main reason for taking 5 marks off his coaching? If we are going to discuss this then you shouldnt make up things and why would I be embarressed if we won more games. maybe when you predict something negative you want it to happen to prove you are right where as I would be over the moon if we won very game from now on but we are dicussing SW now. It could change in 6 weeks.

And when did I say I dont like the coach? Please stop making things up. And why would i have been a sook in the 70's and 80's? Dont get that at all. Again it just a silly comment on top of about 3 others in your short little speech.
Good point, well argued. Anyway for the time being I am going with the vote of confidence the club are giving SW and will continue to find the positives in the coach rather than join the "sack the coach" and the "coach is useless" fringe. Personally I think the individuals in those fringe groups are fingering their own bums, but each to their own. Good chatting as always. What can we discuss next.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Terry Wallet was saying we would bottom out so maybe he's smarter than we think. A few had us really struggling i can't remember who though might have been king as well and there was plenty noticing our severe lack of development and players in the 22 to 28 age bracket. We are probably going worse quicker than even they imagined our injuries probably cost us at least 3 close wins which would have had us about where we were expected to be.

We went in with out a key defender and lost nearly every defender we had except Dylan Roberton at some stage so far.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I'm not one for a lot of excuses, and I reckon the club has under-achieved as a whole. Not much drive from the top, and not much passion on the field.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

As soon as we let Goddard go, we signalled to the whole football world, that we are not serious for AT LEAST the next 4-5 years.

Watters has a very difficult job that I think very few wanted.

We have no choice but to hope that this guy is some sort of prodigy.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

As someone who spends a lot of time around the club I think he is very good. Very good. A couple of tweaks with assistants and a couple of changes in administration and you will see in the latter half of next year a pretty good future ahead. Just my opinion, but an educated one.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Seems to be a little bit of angst on forums and social media in regards to Watters possibly getting a contract extension.

Lockett leaving; Lovett arriving. These are controversial St Kilda issues. A one year extension for Watters? Meh. Just do it.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Great newspaper article...... Not a wrong word writtne

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:As someone who spends a lot of time around the club I think he is very good. Very good. A couple of tweaks with assistants and a couple of changes in administration and you will see in the latter half of next year a pretty good future ahead. Just my opinion, but an educated one.
Great insight T74 and I have heard similar things from other people in the know also.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:Seems to be a little bit of angst on forums and social media in regards to Watters possibly getting a contract extension.

Lockett leaving; Lovett arriving. These are controversial St Kilda issues. A one year extension for Watters? Meh. Just do it.
I'd give him 3 years.. how's a new coach going to help us now? Think some of the posters on here hang out on the Melb big footy thread a little to much. We need stability and development atm not panic driven change.

i have been happy with the teams efforts over the last few and the new kids are showing positives, tick for Watters.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:As someone who spends a lot of time around the club I think he is very good. Very good. A couple of tweaks with assistants and a couple of changes in administration and you will see in the latter half of next year a pretty good future ahead. Just my opinion, but an educated one.
Well said Tony.

Id also "tweak" Laidley out the door and FAR away.

I think Watters is ok - no tactical genius but he needs THE BEST assistants ariund him because he can develop I reckon.........seems good with the kids from afar.

Said it a thousand times.........would love a Leigh Tudor back in the assistants chair next to Watters.

“Yeah….nah””
Greg T
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
Well said Tony.

I think Watters is ok - no tactical genius but he needs THE BEST assistants ariund him because he can develop I reckon.........seems good with the kids from afar.

Said it a thousand times.........would love a Leigh Tudor back in the assistants chair next to Watters.
Good to hear your back Teflon

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
spert
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Well said Tony.

You're back, not your, unless the sentence is "good to hear your back is better Teflon.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Seems to be a little bit of angst on forums and social media in regards to Watters possibly getting a contract extension.

I'd give him 3 years.. how's a new coach going to help us now? Think some of the posters on here hang out on the Melb big footy thread a little to much. We need stability and development atm not panic driven change.

i have been happy with the teams efforts over the last few and the new kids are showing positives, tick for Watters.

When you are down you need stability not chop and change to placate the idiots who have grown frustrated. Even if he isn't going to be the coach when we next go at a premiership he is no worse than any other coach we are going to get and he is doing what is needed to develop the next generation with competitive losses.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
Greg T wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Well said Tony.

You're back, not your, unless the sentence is "good to hear your back is better Teflon.

We've heard way too much from Teflon's back over the years.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I have an idea .
Lets go and throw 1 million bucks a year at a big name coach like Mick Malthouse .
That might help.
Oh .... Hang on a minute ...

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

We've heard way too much from Teflon's back over the years.
Nice to see you come out of the closet Dodgy...you've seen a few backs in your tine I'm tipping...

“Yeah….nah””
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Terry Wallet was saying we would bottom out so maybe he's smarter than we think. A few had us really struggling i can't remember who though might have been king as well and there was plenty noticing our severe lack of development and players in the 22 to 28 age bracket. We are probably going worse quicker than even they imagined our injuries probably cost us at least 3 close wins which would have had us about where we were expected to be.

We went in with out a key defender and lost nearly every defender we had except Dylan Roberton at some stage so far.
We even lost him against Geelong due to concussion remember? Shocking year all round.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.