TOMMY WALSH MUST PLAY THIS WEEK

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Hello Tommy Lovers.

He kicked 3 goals and had 18 touches today for the Sandy Magoos

So who should we drop to play him, considering we only kicked 19 goals yesterday??
I'd find a spot for him ... and not at Kosi's expense.

Yes, we were good yesterday but are likely to revert back to Roo-centric mediocrity under finals pressure ... a trait that has dogged us all season.

It won't happen, though. The best we can hope for is that he remains first emergency so as to keep the pressure on our forwards to perform.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Hello Tommy Lovers.

He kicked 3 goals and had 18 touches today for the Sandy Magoos

So who should we drop to play him, considering we only kicked 19 goals yesterday??
I'd find a spot for him ... and not at Kosi's expense.

Yes, we were good yesterday but are likely to revert back to Roo-centric mediocrity under finals pressure ... a trait that has dogged us all season.

It won't happen, though. The best we can hope for is that he remains first emergency so as to keep the pressure on our forwards to perform.
BC why is there pressure on the forwards to perform because he is emergency? Surely pressure is created if you are only likely to be dropped and neither are them going to be dropped. Anyway whose spot would Walsh take?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:BC why is there pressure on the forwards to perform because he is emergency? Surely pressure is created if you are only likely to be dropped and neither are them going to be dropped. Anyway whose spot would Walsh take?
I'd think of someone, but not Kosi or Roo. Kosi can play as a true second ruck drifting forward and Riewoldt as ff.

As for the emergence of Tommy Walsh creating pressure on the incumbents, of course it does.

You don't need to be a genius in the study of human nature to know that old stagers don't like young up-and-comers on their patch ... particularly young guys who can play and could one day snaffle their spot.

But the pressure is a good thing is what I'm saying and ought to keep them honest. Competition brings out the best in people, particularly champions like Riewoldt.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:BC why is there pressure on the forwards to perform because he is emergency? Surely pressure is created if you are only likely to be dropped and neither are them going to be dropped. Anyway whose spot would Walsh take?
I'd think of someone, but not Kosi or Roo. Kosi can play as a true second ruck drifting forward and Riewoldt as a ff.

As for the emergence of Tommy Walsh creating pressure on the incumbents, of course it does.

You don't need to be a genius in the study of human nature to know that old stagers don't like young up-and-comers on their patch ... particularly young guys who can play and could one day snaffle their spot.

But the pressure is a good thing is what I'm saying and ought to keep them honest. Competition brings out the best in people, particularly champions like Riewoldt.
When Walsh has been emergency before has the 2 tall forwards played well or does that only work in hindsight when they do play well. By the way Kosi does play the true second ruckman. Who are you dropping?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
I'd think of someone, but not Kosi or Roo. Kosi can play as a true second ruck drifting forward and Riewoldt as a ff.

When Walsh has been emergency before has the 2 tall forwards played well or does that only work in hindsight when they do play well.
Because the calls from the fans for his inclusion were becoming deafening after the Sydney debacle highlighted what has been obvious all year. Riewoldt cannot do it all on his own.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

When Walsh has been emergency before has the 2 tall forwards played well or does that only work in hindsight when they do play well. By the way Kosi does play the true second ruckman. Who are you dropping?
Because the calls from the fans for his inclusion were becoming deafening after the Sydney debacle highlighted what has been obvious all year. Riewoldt cannot do it all on his own.
Where were these deafening calls to play Walsh after the sydney game apart from on here? Who is dropped?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

The only two players who could possibly be dropped after that game are Gram and Geary (though he didn't do anything wrong in his short stint on the ground), and neither of them will be replaced by a tall. Unfortunately I think we'll have to wait until next year to see Tommy.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Where were these deafening calls to play Walsh after the sydney game apart from on here? Who is dropped?
Because this board is a microcosm of the real world and what supporters think. Do I have to spell even the simplest concepts out to you? :wink:

As for who is dropped, I'd find someone. Walsh is tall, yes, but not slow, so team balance might not be as difficult as you think.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 28 Aug 2011 9:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Because this board is a microcosm of the real world and what supporters think. Do I have to spell even the simplest concepts out to you? :wink:
But where did the players hear it to get inspired? You got that player yet?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

But where did the players hear it to get inspired? You got that player yet?
Give them credit for some brains. It is fairly obvious ... even to them ... that their form hasn't been as good as it could have been this season.

And suddenly, a big, strong kid kicks 6.3 in the reserves including the match-winner in time on ... against Collingwood at Victoria Park.

I reckon they'd put two and two together.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ya dont need to quote every single time

lordy :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:ya dont need to quote every single time

What do you mean?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
matrix wrote:ya dont need to quote every single time

What do you mean?
Why not?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

clowns
8-)

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Drop Gram

Geary plays in defence

Walsh comes IN

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:Drop Gram

Geary plays in defence

Walsh comes IN
Not the worst idea.

Gram is very dodgy, Geary needs to have a start not just a sub, nice to see Walsh get a go.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Geary plays in defence

Walsh comes IN
Does The Messiah get a full game against 5th place Carlton with a mere home final on the line or as a sub?

(you know if won't play though!)

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

saintspremiers wrote:

Geary plays in defence

Walsh comes IN

Does The Messiah get a full game against 5th place Carlton with a mere home final on the line or as a sub?

(you know if won't play though!)
We've been forced to romanticise.

There's always going to be a romantic messiah out there.

But we probably have 3 or 4 potential Messiahs (of the less romantic variety) in our team right now - who don't need to walk on water - they just need to play at or near their best to make all the difference.
How difficult should that be ?

If Gram, Ray, Schneider and Clarke give their 100% and bring their best form into the finals .. we can go all the way even Collingwood should be worried.

We know Gram can potentially get 30 possessions (and improve 120% on his current form), Schneider (who had a reasonable game, so he's tending the right way at least) can get another 20% out of himself , Ray can gather 25 plus possessions (he can lift another 50%), Clarke could easily lift 50%. All these players could provide the extra run and carry we need.

A potential messiah in the hand is worth two potential/romantic messiahs in the bush.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Walsh won't play this week. He's getting his legs waxed.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

satchmo wrote:Walsh won't play this week. He's getting his legs waxed.
Waxing is part of the messiah-fication ritual/process.

Rosco
Club Player

he can come in for a back - maybe blake? walsh can play back or forward as required, if we're not scoring he can move forward. the problem with this is that carlton have a small forward line so blake might not play anyway as we may need to play another small.

unless gears plays from the start (non-sub) and walsh is the sub...

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Why has this thread gone so quiet recently???

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

saintspremiers wrote:Why has this thread gone so quiet recently???
Dermott Brereton made his debut in a final. Maybe next week if we cop some injuries but more than likely next year. Something to look forward to in any case!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Little Dozer wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Why has this thread gone so quiet recently???
Dermott Brereton made his debut in a final. Maybe next week if we cop some injuries but more than likely next year. Something to look forward to in any case!
But he was only a bit Irish :wink:

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Saintspremiers asked :
Why has this thread gone so quiet recently???
The "window of opportunity" to see what Tommy could offer, has closed - cherry-ripe for the Gold Coast Suns and Adelaide. After that, we had "must win " games.

I thought that the poor performances by our forward line at the time and his good Sandy form, warranted "a look" at him. I was keen to see him given a try ...... next year !