Hallelujah

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

degruch
Saintsational Legend

All the grey above is also why it is tough to prosecute in such cases. You can speculate 'til the cows come home...why bother?

I just find the burial of the story breathtakingly dodgy.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

markp wrote:Unreal.

Was it on any of the tv news broadcasts last night?

And I wonder just how much staunch collingwood man David Galbally QC is charging this guy?... or whoever is paying.
Channel 10 ran the story third in and was quite clear abut the allegations of one player being within the vicinity at the time.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

markp wrote:Unreal.

Was it on any of the tv news broadcasts last night?

And I wonder just how much staunch collingwood man David Galbally QC is charging this guy?... or whoever is paying.
Channel 10 ran the story third in and was quite clear abut the allegations of one player being within the vicinity at the time.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

just goes to show how controlled the media is
even the word tells you what it is for
media comes from medium

its the voice between those above and us below
along with religion its one of the most powerful tools 'they' have.

its controlled 99%
something leaks out thru indie sources now and then, but what shouldnt, gets shut down real quick.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Very interesting and informative summary TOT... much appreciated.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Let's just hope that the prosecution doesn’t follow Collingwood. I suppose for some it would be a great sub plot if they followed the Saints.

So what's this trial got to do with the SS fan forum???

markp
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:So what's this trial got to do with the SS fan forum???
Errr, it's about the difference in coverage and reporting.

Are you going to have a tanty on every page?.... 7 so far, so obviously a few find it a worthy topic of discussion.

Go start a thread on one or more of our players being a 'cancer' if it'll keep you occupied, or if you think it's somehow more worthy of the SS fan forum.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Let's just hope that the prosecution doesn’t follow Collingwood. I suppose for some it would be a great sub plot if they followed the Saints.

I think it's quite clear that most see the trial 'story' as ancillary to a broader discussion on media's choice of what's reportable and not.

Here we have facts and allegations relating to one sporting organisation discussed in open court mysteriously disappearing overnight.

Earlier we had nonesensical, twisted assumptions said to relate to another sporting organisation broadly reported as fact. FOR MONTHS.

Surely you can see the quite clear difference and it's relevance to those interested in the interests of one of those sporting organisations.

It is possible to discuss these issues in a manner that's sympathetic to the court process.

You seem to be wanting to read a fairly insensitive intent on the part of people discussing stuff that simply doesn't exist. How I understand it: you're suggesting that there's a few on here who'd go 'woo-hoo' if a girl was raped. Am I misinterpreting you?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Let's just hope that the prosecution doesn’t follow Collingwood. I suppose for some it would be a great sub plot if they followed the Saints.

I think it's quite clear that most see the trial 'story' as ancillary to a broader discussion on media's choice of what's reportable and not.

Here we have facts and allegations relating to one sporting organisation discussed in open court mysteriously disappearing overnight.

Earlier we had nonesensical, twisted assumptions said to relate to another sporting organisation broadly reported as fact. FOR MONTHS.

Surely you can see the quite clear difference and it's relevance to those interested in the interests of one of those sporting organisations.

It is possible to discuss these issues in a manner that's sympathetic to the court process.

You seem to be wanting to read a fairly insensitive intent on the part of people discussing stuff that simply doesn't exist. How I understand it: you're suggesting that there's a few on here who'd go 'woo-hoo' if a girl was raped. Am I misinterpreting you?
I know you are saying it is about a perceived media bias however there are some posters that are clearly interested in other aspects of the case that appear self serving (IMO).

I'm sure you understand that there are posters in this thread that are interested in more than just media bias. The problem some are having with my point of view is they cant let go of the whole 'cancer' thing and cant look at my point of view objectively.

To clarify what I am getting at it sounds like some posters have a desire for the Collingwood players to be implicated in the alleged crime so they can feel vindicated because of the obvious.

Take markp’s comment to ‘the other thomo’ where he said “Very interesting and informative summary TOT... much appreciatedâ€

stinger
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Very interesting and informative summary TOT... much appreciated.

i'd go along with that ....despite some poster's objection....

...anyway.....to spoil the fun.....the story is in today's hun...top of page two ..under the heading..."magpie beams in sex link."....sub heading" young woman felt compelled to be with footy star, court told"

...no filth logo on the front page though....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

...anyway.....to spoil the fun.....the story is in today's hun...top of page two ..under the heading..."magpie beams in sex link."....sub heading" young woman felt compelled to be with footy star, court told"

Dam that. Somebody should contact the club and insist they contact the HS to request a formal appology. That is outrageous.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

Doesn't really spoil my theory - it's taken almost a year to get to page two, how come? Other 'similar cases' have been reported immediately, are the media gun shy all the sudden?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
stinger wrote:

Doesn't really spoil my theory - it's taken almost a year to get to page two, how come? Other 'similar cases' have been reported immediately, are the media gun shy all the sudden?
I know!

It's a 'hot topic' right now and may have quite large ramafications - and is on page 2.

Yet the 'story' about the police maybe thinking about maybe looking into whether maybe some police acted unprofessionally on a case 7 years ago was absolutely everywhere!!!!

markp
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Cairnsman"]Take markp’s comment to ‘the other thomo’ where he said “Very interesting and informative summary TOT... much appreciatedâ€

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

[quote="markp"][quote="Cairnsman"]Take markp’s comment to ‘the other thomo’ where he said “Very interesting and informative summary TOT... much appreciatedâ€

markp
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Cairnsman"][quote="markp"][quote="Cairnsman"]Take markp’s comment to ‘the other thomo’ where he said “Very interesting and informative summary TOT... much appreciatedâ€

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

[quote="markp"][quote="Cairnsman"][quote="markp"][quote="Cairnsman"]Take markp’s comment to ‘the other thomo’ where he said “Very interesting and informative summary TOT... much appreciatedâ€

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

How about all of those people that find this analysis of media politics interesting continue to read and post.

And those who don't, or our disgusted by the whole topic, simply not click on the thread entitled "Hallelujah"?

Leo.J
SS Life Member

[quote="Cairnsman"]I know you are saying it is about a perceived media bias however there are some posters that are clearly interested in other aspects of the case that appear self serving (IMO).

I'm sure you understand that there are posters in this thread that are interested in more than just media bias. The problem some are having with my point of view is they cant let go of the whole 'cancer' thing and cant look at my point of view objectively.

To clarify what I am getting at it sounds like some posters have a desire for the Collingwood players to be implicated in the alleged crime so they can feel vindicated because of the obvious.

Take markp’s comment to ‘the other thomo’ where he said “Very interesting and informative summary TOT... much appreciatedâ€

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Thinline wrote:

I know you are saying it is about a perceived media bias however there are some posters that are clearly interested in other aspects of the case that appear self serving (IMO).

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Leo.J"][quote="Cairnsman"]I know you are saying it is about a perceived media bias however there are some posters that are clearly interested in other aspects of the case that appear self serving (IMO).

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

This is my media watch from today's Herald Sun, call me cynical but I'm beginning to think strings are being pulled.

Page 2 (and how many of us actually check page 2 unless it's for the weather or lotto numbers) an article about the current trial entilted "Magpie Beams in sex link" there are no photos of either player and considering the evidence at court happened yesterday it's not like they were including the story as a late inclusion or in the old days known as the "stop press"

Meanwhile on page 19 is a full article regarding Nicole Cornes winning her defamation case against Mick Molloy with the comment he made on "On Before the Game" now I don't have a problem with photos and an article on why Ms Cornes took Molloy to court, but for Stewart Dew they've thrown in his photo to make it look like it's a three way court battle. As far as I know Stewart Dew didn't say anything inappropriate during the interview yet his photo makes sure you read the article.

It is no surprise to me the whole Collingwood thing for whatever is being downplayed whilst Stewart Dew must be wondering what he actually did compared to Collingwood players who at the very least have failed the "respect for women programme"

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Well I feel really sorry for the victim and her family if they have to suffer through listening to Saints supports spew out their disgust at the fact that the rape trial isn't being given enough or a certain type of media coverage.
Do you really think that the victim and/or her family would be trawling through the StKilda Football Club fan forum?

…suffer through listening to Saints supports - c'mon?

The only distasteful thing I have read in this thread is probably the title, I hardly think Hallelujah is appropriate, but as others have suggested, maybe you should stop reading it if you are finging it all too distasteful?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Well I feel really sorry for the victim and her family if they have to suffer through listening to Saints supports spew out their disgust at the fact that the rape trial isn't being given enough or a certain type of media coverage.
Do you really think that the victim and/or her family would be trawling through the StKilda Football Club fan forum?

…suffer through listening to Saints supports - c'mon?

The only distasteful thing I have read in this thread is probably the title, I hardly think Hallelujah is appropriate, but as others have suggested, maybe you should stop reading it if you are finging it all too distasteful?
Of coarse I don't think the victim or her family trawl through SS however it is possible that they do or maybe that friends or people that know the girl and/or her family. That's irrelevant though as I was merely using it as an example to prick the conscience. I’m sure you got my meaning.

The injustice that we should all be outraged over is not the perceived media bias in this rape trial

Leo.J
SS Life Member

[quote="Cairnsman"][quote="Leo.J"][quote="Cairnsman"]I know you are saying it is about a perceived media bias however there are some posters that are clearly interested in other aspects of the case that appear self serving (IMO).