MRP - Joey 1 game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Could he determine the extent of the injury.....if so, and the injury was serious....why did a qualified doctor put him back on the ground.....surely he felt his injury was not too bad

Apology was instructed to protect the clubs brand.....otherwise mums wont let their little boys play footy....and demetriou want every kid in the known world to only play afl.....every other sport is the enemy
Yes.

Whole thing's rubbish.

I respect what the AD admin has done for the code in a broad sense but the corporatisation of the people's game - a tough, crude game just as much as it is athletically sublime - is beginning to really s*** me.

Did Goddard risk life and limb atop Luke Ball's shoulders in GF! '10 in pursuit of a f****** brand? Do the players yell 'let's do it for the brand' as they charge up the MCG race?

Just as team lists need refreshing sometimes, so to administrators. Time for a fresher more connected AFL leadership, I reckon. They've done their rights deal, the bank account's swollen to all buggery, give someone else a crack at forging a path...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:Could he determine the extent of the injury.....if so, and the injury was serious....why did a qualified doctor put him back on the ground.....surely he felt his injury was not too bad

Apology was instructed to protect the clubs brand.....otherwise mums wont let their little boys play footy....and demetriou want every kid in the known world to only play afl.....every other sport is the enemy
I doubt he could see the extent of the injury but I reckon he knew he was hurt. Also how do you know the club told him to say sorry. Is there a link or do you know someone at the club?

Can I ask you why Joey even needed to take the risk knowing what the rule is. What was the point?
So don't go bumping Roo or Judd because by the appearance of their heavily strapped arms and shoulders they must be carrying an injury.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I doubt he could see the extent of the injury but I reckon he knew he was hurt. Also how do you know the club told him to say sorry. Is there a link or do you know someone at the club?

Can I ask you why Joey even needed to take the risk knowing what the rule is. What was the point?
So don't go bumping Roo or Judd because by the appearance of their heavily strapped arms and shoulders they must be carrying an injury.
Surely you are joking with arguments like that. They go into the game with their shoulders strapped. Curnow was obviously injured and hadnt even had time to be treated. Let him get treated at least before bumping him. If you are going to say silly things like that then I take it you think Andrew Raines was fair game last week especially before the trainers got to him.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

There was actually nothing in it....really, joey barely made contact. Kosi made more contact when he returned....which was later, but that was ok...

So you are saying, that he could not accurately determine if the player was severley injured, or just hurt......

I tell the players i coach, that tackling, bumping is most effective when you hurt someone, because it effects their next contest.....

In a cricket game, if i get hit in the head or chest and continue batting, i would expect nothing else but to be peppered.....same in footy, see any weakness in a player mental, physical, technical.....target it

Footy is meant to be ruthless.......which is why cowards cannot play it

Over officiated, stupid to begin with, overraction rule implemented by a knee jerk reactive admin trying to make our game the bestest most wonderful and fantastic marketable game in the world.....the sanitation of afl footy ,akes me sick, and glad i grew up when i did

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:There was actually nothing in it....really, joey barely made contact. Kosi made more contact when he returned....which was later, but that was ok...

So you are saying, that he could not accurately determine if the player was severley injured, or just hurt......

I tell the players i coach, that tackling, bumping is most effective when you hurt someone, because it effects their next contest.....

In a cricket game, if i get hit in the head or chest and continue batting, i would expect nothing else but to be peppered.....same in footy, see any weakness in a player mental, physical, technical.....target it

Footy is meant to be ruthless.......which is why cowards cannot play it

Over officiated, stupid to begin with, overraction rule implemented by a knee jerk reactive admin trying to make our game the bestest most wonderful and fantastic marketable game in the world.....the sanitation of afl footy ,akes me sick, and glad i grew up when i did
If a players comes back on then they are fair game as they would in cricket if they continued batting. So was the Rooy thing ok or should the rule be 3 is to many but one person is ok. Should we also make sure they dont weigh to much.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

More point....

Our admin is weak as piss, and almost incompetant.......and the defense of our players.....right back to gehrigs tummy tap, kosi's trip to the three baker debarkles to the whispers in the sky have all been typically amatuerish and laughable..

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Surely you are joking with arguments like that. They go into the game with their shoulders strapped. Curnow was obviously injured and hadnt even had time to be treated. Let him get treated at least before bumping him. If you are going to say silly things like that then I take it you think Andrew Raines was fair game last week especially before the trainers got to him.
If he came back on after being off, then yes.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Having seen the footage again and seeing that it seemed to be right in the middle of the pack where the ball was, I think there was even less in it. Joey just seemed to do what guys do when they are at a stoppage. ie, bump or push & shove whoever they're next to. It happens about 200 times a game in a pack.
Did he know Curnow was injured? Maybe, but I think that may be why he ended up bumping him so softly. If he wasn't injured he may have bumped him properly, as he would probably do at most, if not all stoppages.
It looked to me to be a split second decision and it wasn't as though he lined him up from a fair way away, like Kosi did.
Very harsh and if he'd gotten two for it it would have been simply ridiculous.
Having said that, I reckon attacking someone who's injured is weak as piss and if he did mean it it was an ordinary act, but I'm glad he apologised.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
BallBanger
Club Player

BigMart wrote:More point....

Our admin is weak as piss, and almost incompetant.......and the defense of our players.....right back to gehrigs tummy tap, kosi's trip to the three baker debarkles to the whispers in the sky have all been typically amatuerish and laughable..
Yes all the precedents are set with our players because they know we won't can't defend it...we are an easy target...

If baker played for collingwood he would have been cleared/not cited on 90% of his so called demeaners...as the tribunal/review panel would have known they had a fight on their hands

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

If he came back on after being off, then yes.
Totally agree with that and pretty the MVP would also.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Haha

Here we go....

The michael thing was to put the force into perspective.....it was not in the same ball park

Force is used as a defense in striking....yeah....

I am sure i have heard the tribunial say there was not enough force to sustain a charge......just las week infact with the fisher tummy tap

That being said, if riewoldt was clearly coming from the ground or trainers had been called....no, it was not ok....but if he was remaining out there....same applies to him....he is on the field of battle

Curnow was bent over, trying to compose himself, not running off...he never had a clearly defined injury....he was HURT....from which a doctor never even determined injury......players start games hurt, eddy started a gf injured, as did didak

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Haha

Here we go....

The michael thing was to put the force into perspective.....it was not in the same ball park

I am sure i have heard the tribunial say there was not enough force to sustain a charge......just las week infact with the fisher tummy tap

That being said, if riewoldt was clearly coming from the ground or trainers had been called....no, it was not ok....but if he was remaining out there....same applies to him....he is on the field of battle

Curnow was bent over, trying to compose himself, not running off...he never had a clearly defined injury....he was HURT....from which a doctor never even determined injury......players start games hurt, eddy started a gf injured, as did didak
The rule states you cant touch an injured player. Unlike other rules force isnt an issue. Also if trainers havent got out to a player you say they are fair game. So it is fine to hit a player who has just about unconscious because he still on the ground and no trainers are with him. I suppose that is OK because its a mans game. I will ask again why do you think Joey did it? Is it because its a mans game?

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Seriously cannot believe some of the crap in this post.

Seriously if the situation had been reversed people on here would have been calling for Curnow's head.

It is irrelevant how hard Joey bumped him , it is the principal. You cannot touch a player when he is coming off hurt, it is a clear and simple ruling.

If he goes back on or starts the game strapped, clearly he is able to be bumped.

Like Dawson the week before Joey deserves the week for pure stupidity.

I believe he deserves the week, there was nothing tough about his action, there was nothing sporting.

Players show there courage in dozens of way each week, the game is not soft. Let Joey show his courage and "toughness"if you like in those ways.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If he was remaining out there, i would have bumped him much harder.....and had no issue with it..Make sure he had to go off

An unconscious player, would be.....if you read my post a clearly defined injury and the playerwould be down.....if he got to his feet and tried to remain out there......again, fair game

Who determines whether a player is injured???

Is it the resonsibility of the opponent now to diagnose opponents health...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Who said he was coming off.....he was NOT running to the bench.....he was actually near the footy...

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Totally agree with that and pretty the MVP would also.
I simply can't buy the presumed fact that a player fifty metres away and closing can detect the exact extent of any injury nor should they be asked to assume the worst. It's a ludicrous proposition in contact sport. As far as I can tell Curnow's wandering around like a bit of a d**khead looking for all intents and purpose like he doesn't know where his opponent is or that he's slightly winded or that he OD'ed on gatorade and he's about to chuck. Leaving aside any arguments about the inconsequential severity of the contact, all are equally viable in the 'mens rea' malice aforethought space...

Nonsense piece of adjudication.

However, decision's been made. Joey's got a week to get his calf right and learn how to sew or knit or colour hair or something else equally AFL-approved.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:If he was remaining out there, i would have bumped him much harder.....and had no issue with it..Make sure he had to go off

An unconscious player, would be.....if you read my post a clearly defined injury and the playerwould be down.....if he got to his feet and tried to remain out there......again, fair game

How can anyone argue with crap like that. It was obvious Curnow was injured. 100% obvious. Why did Joey hit that shoulder. Coincidence.

Also if a player is just about knocked but gets up staggering with no trainers around it is ok to him because he got to his feet. Well that is mighty tough. I am glad I didnt play against you in your magnificent career. By the way can you tell us about that again. It was fascinating how good you were.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Who said he was coming off.....he was NOT running to the bench.....he was actually near the footy...
Such a stupid comment of course he was near the bloody football that is how it happened.

Do you want it to be like rugby union where the player can drop to one knee to signal injury.

Obviously you are a big tough player yourself going round taking shots at guys who have gone down injured showing the courage etc that you so obviously possess

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:If he was remaining out there, i would have bumped him much harder.....and had no issue with it..Make sure he had to go off

How can anyone argue with crap like that. It was obvious Curnow was injured. 100% obvious. Why did Joey hit that shoulder. Coincidence.

Also if a player is just about knocked but gets up staggering with no trainers around it is ok to him because he got to his feet. Well that is mighty tough. I am glad I didnt play against you in your magnificent career. By the way can you tell us about that again. It was fascinating how good you were.
100% obvious to you on your couch with your remote in your hand (and apparent X-Ray vision and diagnostic skills).

There is simply NO WAY a player in the heat of a contact sport can rationally decide one way or another the extent, type, nature, severity, whatever of a bloke who looks uncomfortable.

Who are you to say he had a bruised AC when he could have been winded, buggered, dazed, corked whatever?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

As long as we take it right in the arse....

So you cant touch a suspected injued player???

What if you didnt see or suspect the injury....should you be aware of the fitness of all 22 opponents during a game as to ascertain as to whether you can touch them....

In the hands of the trainers, going off the ground or on the deck....

Standing around on the ground......er, no...

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:As long as we take it right in the arse....

So you cant touch a suspected injued player???

What if you didnt see or suspect the injury....should you be aware of the fitness of all 22 opponents during a game as to ascertain as to whether you can touch them....

In the hands of the trainers, going off the ground or on the deck....

Standing around on the ground......er, no...
I don't see why anyone can see anything remotely controversial in what you're saying.

Spot on.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

100% obvious to you on your couch with your remote in your hand (and apparent X-Ray vision and diagnostic skills).

There is simply NO WAY a player in the heat of a contact sport can rationally decide one way or another the extent, type, nature, severity, whatever of a bloke who looks uncomfortable.

Who are you to say he had a bruised AC when he could have been winded, buggered, dazed, corked whatever?
So you obviously had no issue with what happened to Rooy. Who was to say what was wrong with him. So every player is fair game unless trainers are with him because how would anyone know they are injured. Seems very unucky for Joey that he accidentally got him on the injured shoulder.

markinUSA
SS Life Member

When I saw it, live, it looked terrible. It looked dirty. I'm not saying that others can't have their own opinions, but when I saw it, the first thing that came to mind was "Baker got three weeks for hitting Johnson's hand didn't he?" I thought "Oh well, there goes Joey for three".

When I heard he got one week, I thought... well, that's ok.

He didn't contest it, and he apologized to the guy personally. There were no comments that "I didn't realize he was injured." I think he knew what he was doing (the guy had been doubled over, and in my opnion looked like he was going off). So it just looked dirty. They said during the game he had a broken collarbone, so no doubt it hurt.

Ross always says that the team wants to be known for being disciplined, and for being hard, but fair... when Baker hit Johnson's hand, he said that's not what we want to be known for... and the AFL has said it's not on at all. They had to do something.

One game is not that bad.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:Haha

Here we go....

The rule states you cant touch an injured player. Unlike other rules force isnt an issue. Also if trainers havent got out to a player you say they are fair game. So it is fine to hit a player who has just about unconscious because he still on the ground and no trainers are with him. I suppose that is OK because its a mans game. I will ask again why do you think Joey did it? Is it because its a mans game?
If Curnow was so badly injured why didn't he just walk over the boundary line he was tackled next to and wait for the trainers to attend to him - the fact that he stayed on the ground means he could have taken possession of the ball and kicked it or handballed it to advantage - could we tackle him then???

Everyone is saying that Curnow was fair game after he came back onto the field - yet the authorities are saying that Kosi got off for hitting him after he came back on because he got the wrong arm - I mean what is it??? Is he fair game or only fair game if you hit him in the wrong arm???

I am still holding strong to the fact that Curnow was sent back onto the field showed that the shoulder was fine according to Carlton Medicos - Joey should have argued that he thought the shoulder was fine just like the Carlton Medicos did enabling Curnow to return to the field - how could the Tribunal argue against this - Joey could have said I thought he was faking it and when I saw him come back on I am sure this justified my action.

Maybe .... maybe if you injured then hold one arm up to signal so - so that trainers and players know alike - obviously that might be hard in some situations but it is something they could try

What's stop players holding their shoulders as if they are injured to stop players going near them only to give themselves some space as to receive the ball in the clear - in a tight game with a minute to play this sort of action could have immense implications

As has been pointed out our club has a shocking history of not being able to defend our players at the Tribunal - their are more people on this site with more of an idea than those at the club

One positive is that it gives Joey a week off to freshen up for Melbourne match who won't have Trengove (appalling decision by the way) and allows Ray to come in rather than coming in at the expense of a young guy who will now get another game ie: Cripps / Steven

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
jays
Club Player

biggest load of crap ever he was lucky to even connect