Goose gone ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Well

"I think everyone's got a future if they want a future," Lyon said when asked about Maguire's chances of staying at St Kilda.
well perhaps goose wanted to try his luck elsewhere and we decided to give him the opportunity.

i'm reserving judgement until i know the full story.

groupie1
Club Player

Yeah, I agree mate. RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!
Shoes on the other foot.

No rejects at our club .......

except of course..........

Dawson, Schneider, Dempster, Mini (from ourselves), Gardiner, King, Peake, Gram, Ray, Lovett, Begley (now gone)

Oh my God! That's 8 in our GF side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1/3 of the side. I am shocked. how did they sneak through?

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Top professional sport is no place for sentiment. Perform or perish. The same as in top run business. He's been given quite a lot of time, and while I love him as a Saints player and bloke, we are trying to be the top side.

I reckon the reasons for him leaving will be sound. Opportunity elsewhere, can't cut it any more, wants too much money, wants too long a contract .....one of those ...or all of the above perhaps.

Goose was our future along with Ball and the rest over 2004-2006. Can see why there is so much sentiment, but go back to the first line of this post.

If he ends up somewhere on a 2-3 year contract, good luck to him.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

ace wrote: While Steven Baker is eligible to be made a veteran either inside or outside the list I have not seen any announcement of this.
Hopefully it will be made clear after 2PM tomorrow when List Lodgements No1 close.
Correct me if im wrong, but this may be something to do with their faith in Tommy Walsh - By not having two listed veterans, it means StKilda can elevate a rookie for the full season (starting round 1). Therefore, whilst it substitutes our chances of one more late pick in a very shallow draft, it means that we can have Tommy as a senior player starting round 1! If this is the case, probably pretty clever by the club!

vacuous space
SS Life Member

thirty-seven!? wrote:Correct me if im wrong, but this may be something to do with their faith in Tommy Walsh...
Always a possibility. I believe we could have Baker or Milne as a veteran inside the list while having Hayes outside the list and leaving a spot open for Tommy.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Elvis
Club Player

Verdun66 wrote:Remember the days when we were full of Carlton, or other club's top players a bit past it. Sheldon, Marcou, McConville, Jones etc etc. Boot is on the other foot now. Get used to it.
Agree 100%. Have a look at the thread 'The Best of The Recycleds'. While it is entertaining and there were some terrific players there, it is also very sad reading. The system of list management allows the most astute (and less emotive and histrionic) coaches to really get on the front foot by dealing primarily with what we know about players, rather than what we hope.

Yes it is all very sad when injury cuts down the career of a player who has given great service, but losing winnable grand finals is sad too.

Pressure for playing positions is one of the key motivators for September success. Maguire is two or three players behind a senior berth at St.Kilda, simple fact.

Thanks Matty for your efforts and best wishes for the future.

TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

Sad to see Goose go, would love for it to have worked out that he could play for us in 2010.

Just wish him all the best for whatever comes next

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
Milton66
SS Life Member

AFL is a ruthless, brutal industry these days.

There are only 2 types... the quick and the dead.

You're either a premiership club, or a social club.

If you choose the former, then you have to make hard calls. If you prefer the latter, then let's keep players for sentimental romantic reasons.

I find it odd that there are suggestions that this decision tears away at the fabric of the club. It simply does not.

Quick and the dead, people, quick and the dead.

What we are seeing is that by its own design, the AFL has made the game quicker, and with teams like Essendon and the Bulldogs exploiting leg speed, you either become quick, or you die.

That said, there no longer seems to be a place for one-dimensional players and traditional positions are going the way of the flat punt.

Sadly for Matt, injuries and rule changes have challenged his blossoming career, and to have him delisted is sad.

And whilst it's not his fault, his season at Sandy was nothing special. the bottomline is that the squad has lifted greatly in 2009 and perhaps Matt has fallen behind. Good player - wrong club -wrong time?

Make no mistake that delisting a KPP isn't a decision taken lightly, and I hope Matt goes on to play for another club and enjoys success.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Good post Milton - Is definitely worth making the point of Social Club v Premiership club... I know what i would take in a heartbeat (knowing what comes with it!)

I guess there are so many things we could blame, but unfortunately, in the end, it is injuries that cruelled his career...

Or we could just blame Sam Gilbert... :? :wink:

saint1974
Club Player

Milton66 wrote:AFL is a ruthless, brutal industry these days.

If you choose the former, then you have to make hard calls. If you prefer the latter, then let's keep players for sentimental romantic reasons.

I find it odd that there are suggestions that this decision tears away at the fabric of the club. It simply does not.

What we are seeing is that by its own design, the AFL has made the game quicker, and with teams like Essendon and the Bulldogs exploiting leg speed, you either become quick, or you die.

That said, there no longer seems to be a place for one-dimensional players and traditional positions are going the way of the flat punt.

Sadly for Matt, injuries and rule changes have challenged his blossoming career, and to have him delisted is sad.

And whilst it's not his fault, his season at Sandy was nothing special. the bottomline is that the squad has lifted greatly in 2009 and perhaps Matt has fallen behind. Good player - wrong club -wrong time?

Make no mistake that delisting a KPP isn't a decision taken lightly, and I hope Matt goes on to play for another club and enjoys success.
Well written Milton, totally agree with everything you have written.
Good luck Goose with your future .

Milton66
SS Life Member

saint1974 wrote:

Hello love. How's your young lad coping after the GF? Therapy? :lol:

saint1974
Club Player

Milton66 wrote:
saint1974 wrote:

Hello love. How's your young lad coping after the GF? Therapy? :lol:
Thanks Milton gone off to do his VCE english eaxm this morning ,still shattered goes over and over the game if only we kicked straight I said mate move on next year ,too long to wait but can't wait to see how we come back for 2010.Cheers.

Milton66
SS Life Member

LOL, I've still got the bruises from when he grabbed my arm. :wink:

asiu

stop pinching all my best work milly

i know 'original' takes effort , but i know you can do it

your not 'barks' in disguise are you ?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I think he will end up at Collingwood, don't ask me why...

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Some of the crap in this thread is mind boggling. FFS people we support the ST KILDA FOOTBALL CLUB!! This is not one person but a team, players will always come and go whether we like it or not. I am sick of the hero worship that goes on. Yep Goose is a great bloke, I met him on quite a few occasions and he is a brilliant guy and I hope to God he is drafted and plays for another 5 years.

BUT he is not the same player he was in 06 and never will be. Footy has changed a lot in that time and all of his athleticism has been diminished by his injuries.

We have no right to whinge about who's been retained and who hasn't. Remember our best 22 won 20 0f 22 H&A games and were only 3 minutes away from a premiership against one of the best teams ever assembled.
Goose certainly would not have made one iota of difference.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

etc
good post milton.

personally i think there's still a place in football for strength ... particularly aerial strength like goose's.

however, if ross and the coaching staff genuinely think he won't challenge for a senior spot in 2010, they've done him a favour by moving him on.

hopefully someone will pick him up

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I'm disappointed to be honest. All I can say is, don't let your form slip, especially if it's via a severe injury. Don't stick your head over the ball in case you bust something because that might well be your exit ticket OUT.

You really can't push some of our hardest working, heart on the sleeve players out the door without upsetting the supporters.

Well done Goose, thanks for the memories. I hope you go on to a prosperous career in another club who can capitalize on your grand efforts!

I'm sure RL is doing what he must to ensure our Premiership window is jammed open as long as possible, but it makes you wonder where the axe won't go. The club is bigger than the individual for sure, but without the individuals in the club, you ain't got a club. It'll be interesting to see what other clubs do with these supposed hacks :roll:

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

I know I'm a glutton for punishment but listening to an interesting convo on SEN and blame was talking about goose being delisted. He said they are struggling to fit wojo into their cap and then went on to say that even if goose is at base rate it is more then a first year draftee.

So even at a base rate goose would be on 70k whilst it would cost 50k for a first year draftee. These are the issues that go into deciding lists. Especially with dawsons breakout year taking some more of the cap.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Milton66
SS Life Member

gazrat wrote:stop pinching all my best work milly

i know 'original' takes effort , but i know you can do it

your not 'barks' in disguise are you ?
The Universe is an abundant place. Plenty of genius to go around.

PJ
SS Life Member

Don't stick your head over the ball in case you bust something because that might well be your exit ticket OUT.
And what do you think the supporters and coaching staff would be saying if they do what you suggest above?

EXIT TICKET OUT

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
Don't stick your head over the ball in case you bust something because that might well be your exit ticket OUT.
And what do you think the supporters and coaching staff would be saying if they do what you suggest above?

EXIT TICKET OUT
So now it's a "no win" situation! :lol: :D

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
SaintWodonga
Club Player

Not happy with this. I think others such as Leigh Fisher should go 1st...

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
stinger
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:Not happy with this. I think others such as Leigh Fisher should go 1st...
might still...reckon three more have to be cut...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

So let me get this right, people won't be happy with the Goose decision until another player's career (Fisher) is also ended? That is some weird thinking if you ask me....