Good Bye Billings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Good Bye Billings

SaintPav wrote: Sat 24 Jul 2021 10:51pm Even Kent is probably on 450K. That's a standard bog player wage in the AFL. He's worth about 650K.
Rumour was Steele took 650k in a lesser salary
Don’t think so
Next year cap reduced due to Covid
Sorry 500 at best
Kent and Seb got paid in the golden days when we had no one and needed to use cap
Those days are over

“Yeah….nah””
Gershwin
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Sat 24 Jul 2021 10:14pm
Gershwin wrote: Sat 24 Jul 2021 10:13pm
CURLY wrote: Sat 24 Jul 2021 10:05pm
Gershwin wrote: Sat 24 Jul 2021 7:31pm I rest my case.
WTF?
Missed a crucial goal. I notice you didn’t have him in your top 5. Did he make your top 10?
Kicked a great goal and if you didn’t notice he was tagged by Hutchins.

Also carrying a injury.
Oh dear that’s not fair that he was tagged. And injured too!
Look I respect any player that gets out there and plays the game including Paul Hunter who did kick a crucial goal but I get disappointed with players who are high draft picks and on good contracts who don’t deliver. If we can get reasonable compensation for Jack then we should move him on or if he accepts a reduced contract then keep him.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

You keep banging on about Bontempelli like we missed an obvious choice. The Bont is a jet. I'm quite sure GWS who had two cracks before he got selected are disappointed. Probably cost them the 2016 flag.

What excuses am I using that upset you Teflon? I've not banged on that he's an out & out champion nor have I claimed he's worth $750K a year. I've stated he's worth more to us than a late first round or 2nd round pick, whatever the magical compensation formula gives us.

We hold no cards here, this is purely in JB's hands. If he gets a huge offer from another club we choose to match it or not match it. Personally I'd go as high as $600K. I'll be happy if he stays for that or less, you apparently wouldn't.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 24 Jul 2021 10:53pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 24 Jul 2021 10:51pm Even Kent is probably on 450K. That's a standard bog player wage in the AFL. He's worth about 650K.
Rumour was Steele took 650k in a lesser salary
Don’t think so
Next year cap reduced due to Covid
Sorry 500 at best
Kent and Seb got paid in the golden days when we had no one and needed to use cap
Those days are over
How much has the cap been reduced by

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Sat 24 Jul 2021 10:53pm
CURLY wrote: Sat 24 Jul 2021 10:14pm
Gershwin wrote: Sat 24 Jul 2021 10:13pm
CURLY wrote: Sat 24 Jul 2021 10:05pm
Gershwin wrote: Sat 24 Jul 2021 7:31pm I rest my case.
WTF?
Missed a crucial goal. I notice you didn’t have him in your top 5. Did he make your top 10?
Kicked a great goal and if you didn’t notice he was tagged by Hutchins.

Also carrying a injury.
Oh dear that’s not fair that he was tagged. And injured too!
Look I respect any player that gets out there and plays the game including Paul Hunter who did kick a crucial goal but I get disappointed with players who are high draft picks and on good contracts who don’t deliver. If we can get reasonable compensation for Jack then we should move him on or if he accepts a reduced contract then keep him.

Carrying a foot injury that hinders his performance while also getting tagged. Still was very good by foot. I don’t think he’s demanding anything it’s the market that dictates what he’s worth.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Fact is

None of know what his contract is, only guessing?!

Why should he take a pay cut?

Would you??

Gershwin
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sat 24 Jul 2021 11:06pm Fact is

Would you??
No I wouldn’t. I would offer him the same as Sinclair. If he can get better elsewhere and wants the extra money then all the best Jack.

summertime and the living is easy ........
B.M
Saintsational Legend

If you got offered 500k at stk
And 650k at North

What would you do??

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 24 Jul 2021 10:54pm You keep banging on about Bontempelli like we missed an obvious choice. The Bont is a jet. I'm quite sure GWS who had two cracks before he got selected are disappointed. Probably cost them the 2016 flag.

What excuses am I using that upset you Teflon? I've not banged on that he's an out & out champion nor have I claimed he's worth $750K a year. I've stated he's worth more to us than a late first round or 2nd round pick, whatever the magical compensation formula gives us.

We hold no cards here, this is purely in JB's hands. If he gets a huge offer from another club we choose to match it or not match it. Personally I'd go as high as $600K. I'll be happy if he stays for that or less, you apparently wouldn't.
I’ll simply ask again
List the games he’s single handed got us over the line in to be paid within 50k of Jack Steele who took less on 650
I’m intrigued but do tell

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 24 Jul 2021 11:14pm If you got offered 500k at stk
And 650k at North

What would you do??
I’ve heard we’ve been as much as 200k apart so that’s a question for Jack
I think the club know his current worth abs it’s not Steele level

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Sat 24 Jul 2021 11:13pm
B.M wrote: Sat 24 Jul 2021 11:06pm Fact is

Would you??
No I wouldn’t. I would offer him the same as Sinclair. If he can get better elsewhere and wants the extra money then all the best Jack.
Super response
We ain’t a charity ffs

“Yeah….nah””
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 24 Jul 2021 11:15pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sat 24 Jul 2021 10:54pm You keep banging on about Bontempelli like we missed an obvious choice. The Bont is a jet. I'm quite sure GWS who had two cracks before he got selected are disappointed. Probably cost them the 2016 flag.

I’ll simply ask again
List the games he’s single handed got us over the line in to be paid within 50k of Jack Steele who took less on 650
I'm sure there's half a dozen but probably not single handedly. How do you want it measured Teflon? What will you be happy with? Coaches votes? Brownlow votes? Club votes?

That's a fact with Steele's contract is it? Great bloke Steele. When did JB sign his last contract? He would have had the same Covid haircut as the rest.

Just to be clear though, did you or did you not want the Bont prior to the draft? If not, who did you hope for? I'm intrigued.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 24 Jul 2021 11:38pm
Teflon wrote: Sat 24 Jul 2021 11:15pm

I’ll simply ask again
I'm sure there's half a dozen but probably not single handedly. How do you want it measured Teflon? What will you be happy with? Coaches votes? Brownlow votes? Club votes?

That's a fact with Steele's contract is it? Great bloke Steele. When did JB sign his last contract? He would have had the same Covid haircut as the rest.

Just to be clear though, did you or did you not want the Bont prior to the draft? If not, who did you hope for? I'm intrigued.
Lol you are sure there’s half a dozen but just can’t quite name them?????????? Not looking good is it ??
Anyhoo not sure why you keep banging on about Bont ...he’s a superstar 30, 2 goals tonight and hit Jamaar on chest lace out .....but alas he plays at another club
Back to JB - you’re the one telling us all why he ought to get 600k a year which is, btw, what Crouch is on and reportedly 50k less than Steele ?????
If you can’t justify that just say so and move on
No shame in admitting you may have over played your hand on this one
Quick genuine question: how would you feel losing Dunstan , Ross abs JB next year packaging up picks to see if we can move up in the draft????
I have a feeling they reek of Richo mediocrity and we might be best for a mini rebuild to bring in Bing and possibly another FA next year abs bank done quality kids
Interested in your take .

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 24 Jul 2021 11:16pm
And 650k at North

What would you do??
How are you privy to private conversations about a player’s salary negotiations?

Do tell.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

No one here would have the first clue about his current wage, the contract he wants, or what’s been offered

Just making s*** up

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

We all ask for things we don't get. This began when I asked for examples of him shirking contests...crickets.

I stated he played some match winning games, I guess he must have gone OK in some. 6 matches where he polled 3 Brownlow votes as a quick piece of research. His Top 10 games for us have some elite stats, so seems to go OK at times - he's no Bont. At least that's an answer, more of an answer than I've received for examples of shirking contests.

I say he's worth up to $600K simply because he's better value to us than whatever 2nd round, possibly 3rd round draft pick that would generate.

Jack Steele I'm guessing / hoping will be heavily rewarded on his next contract if what you say is true.

In terms of your question, I see some logic in the desire & reasoning but due to their out of contract status (Billings & Dunstan) I cannot see how that could be done. Why those players would allow that when they've reached a stage of their career they can dictate terms, it would take some selling.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 12:00am
Teflon wrote: Sat 24 Jul 2021 11:16pm
And 650k at North

What would you do??
How are you privy to private conversations about a player’s salary negotiations?

Do tell.
I just read it’s fun
Reported in media along with Crouch who reportedly on 600
I’m all ears as to how Jack’s output is equivalent??

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 12:06am No one here would have the first clue about his current wage, the contract he wants, or what’s been offered

Just making s*** up
So it’s not been reported anywhere ??? Also not reported Crouch was on 600?????????
Some will do anything not to see....

Oh by the way.....JB today....

9 kicks 6 HB 0 Tackles
On top of a miss 35 out right in front

Leadership material :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 12:11am We all ask for things we don't get. This began when I asked for examples of him shirking contests...crickets.

I stated he played some match winning games, I guess he must have gone OK in some. 6 matches where he polled 3 Brownlow votes as a quick piece of research. His Top 10 games for us have some elite stats, so seems to go OK at times - he's no Bont. At least that's an answer, more of an answer than I've received for examples of shirking contests.

I say he's worth up to $600K simply because he's better value to us than whatever 2nd round, possibly 3rd round draft pick that would generate.

Jack Steele I'm guessing / hoping will be heavily rewarded on his next contract if what you say is true.

In terms of your question, I see some logic in the desire & reasoning but due to their out of contract status (Billings & Dunstan) I cannot see how that could be done. Why those players would allow that when they've reached a stage of their career they can dictate terms, it would take some selling.
Yawn (sorry I didn’t read it all you’re just meandering now to avoid the facts)

Here’s some facts :

Billings today
Billings 9 kicks 6 HB 0 Tackles

“Yeah….nah””
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 12:16am
Ghost Like wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 12:11am We all ask for things we don't get. This began when I asked for examples of him shirking contests...crickets.

Here’s some facts :

Billings today
Started well but faded & had no real impact on the game & yeah a horrible miss for a an experienced player but IMO still a required player

Laurie
Club Player

Definitely move the marshmellow on .
Will look good in a North Gold Coast or Swans jumper.
As staying at St.Kilda his days are over.
Not a leader goes missing far too often in games.
As for being first picked in our side if thats the case we have got problems at St.Kilda

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Laurie wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 6:08am Definitely move the marshmellow on .
Tell that to Lethlean and co before they recruit another one to replace him

takeaway
Club Player

Here’s some facts :

Billings today
I recall your were desperate to get Billings off the list last year. What is it? His haircut? You prefer right footers? Change for change's sake?

I bet you are first in line at the stocktake sales.

If Billings goes, we get a pick close to 30, a big loss.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 9:02am

Here’s some facts :

Billings today
I recall your were desperate to get Billings off the list last year. What is it? His haircut? You prefer right footers? Change for change's sake?

I bet you are first in line at the stocktake sales.

If Billings goes, we get a pick close to 30, a big loss.
You’re a funny guy the only thing you lack is humour..
I’ve been off Billings for a while - why???
Pay packet does not match output ....don’t need to be a genius to work that out...
He plays a relatively safe HFF position abs doesn’t impact games
I’d go as far as saying with Byrnes, Gresham, Higgins and now possibly Connolly (who I want kicking the ball into forward 50) it’s questionable where Billings sits in our best side off his current output.
Anyhoo you keep being not very funny.

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

He's not having a good year but he's probably being severely hampered by a few injuries.