dal was a huge loss

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: dal was a huge loss

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:Dal is gone, get over it.

Con is spot on. Nothing to do with development, everything to do with recruiting, terrible terrible recruiting in the draft at that time.

Something like only Steven and Geary left on the list from that time.

Wouldn't have given a toss if we had won a flag, BUT we didn't and then our list fell to pieces.

We are going to be down at least 6-7 years by the time we reach the finals again (2017-2018), without the current strategy we would have been down for much much longer.

These moves aren't popular. Dal was a great Sainter, but Pelchan was not put in place to be popular.

Dal Santo was fantastic last night, but he would not be playing that type of football in the current Saints team. He has much more quality about him at the moment.

So whinge away and remain mediocre as we hang on to the only players we have with currency and be like Richmond and make the finals once a decade.
OR
Take your medicine and support our CURRENT players. I know what I'll be doing
Do you think finals in 2017 or 18 is likely?
I have my doubts, but even if it's not until 2020 that we next make the finals if we kept yesterday's heroes it we'd be bottom 4 in 2020.

It's very sad some supporters can't see the vision through the forest. It's a bit like pollies just focussing on the next 2 years not 5 to 10.

Maybe they can. I understand the move and think it suited both parties but maybe people just love the old stars. Surely there is nothing wrong with that. The way you speak about players, especially those who arent great players, is that they are just a piece of meet. I know the supporters I like more.
Look plugs you and I both know we have plenty of duds or likely duds on our list. That's pretty much a fact. And then we have the old proven crew. I don't understand why the likes of Sipposs and Lee are kept on. They are hacks IMO. I don't have to like all players on our current list. That may change in 5 years if Pelican does what he says he will.

I know we have players who arent up to it but you just proved my point by calling these players duds and hacks. Sorry I dont like those terms for any players let alaone ours. keep it up though.
Each to their own plugs.
I don't fraternise with the players or their mates like you do, and we have a terrible current list hopefully Pelican will cut a few more for this year.

Excellent comment. I dont fratenise either but I do respect people whether they play footy or what ever they do in life so I dont call players duds and hacks. You class players as piece of meat. Also you only want loyalty when it suits you. You keep going on about the list because you just dont get my point. It has nothing to do with the list how you desribe players.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

6621104 wrote:Yep, trading stars is dumb. No, Geelong has not needed to (they have moved on the support cast), BUT as Con has said, their support cast has currency as in a good team they still seem good players.
It'll be fascinating to see what happens from here for Geelong. As it stands they'll have nine 30 year olds next year: Enright 33; Johnson, Bartel, Kelly, Lonergan 31; Mackie, McIntosh, Rivers, Stokes 30. Taylor turns 29 halfway through the year. That's 10 of their best 22 nearing the end of their careers.

Yes, they have some young guys who look good. The question is: are Duncan, Motlop, Christensen, Guthrie, Caddy, Blicavs, Murdoch, Horlin-Smith etc actually good enough to keep them in contention?

The next couple of years is where we find out how good their planning was. As you say, they haven't moved on their stars. Let's see how that works for them.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Craig Devonport... Get over it.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

No point to wringing our hands about what has gone before, better to face the future, with what we have got for NDS.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:Dal is gone, get over it.

Con is spot on. Nothing to do with development, everything to do with recruiting, terrible terrible recruiting in the draft at that time.

Something like only Steven and Geary left on the list from that time.

Wouldn't have given a toss if we had won a flag, BUT we didn't and then our list fell to pieces.

We are going to be down at least 6-7 years by the time we reach the finals again (2017-2018), without the current strategy we would have been down for much much longer.

These moves aren't popular. Dal was a great Sainter, but Pelchan was not put in place to be popular.

Dal Santo was fantastic last night, but he would not be playing that type of football in the current Saints team. He has much more quality about him at the moment.

So whinge away and remain mediocre as we hang on to the only players we have with currency and be like Richmond and make the finals once a decade.
OR
Take your medicine and support our CURRENT players. I know what I'll be doing
Do you think finals in 2017 or 18 is likely?
I have my doubts, but even if it's not until 2020 that we next make the finals if we kept yesterday's heroes it we'd be bottom 4 in 2020.

It's very sad some supporters can't see the vision through the forest. It's a bit like pollies just focussing on the next 2 years not 5 to 10.

Maybe they can. I understand the move and think it suited both parties but maybe people just love the old stars. Surely there is nothing wrong with that. The way you speak about players, especially those who arent great players, is that they are just a piece of meet. I know the supporters I like more.
Look plugs you and I both know we have plenty of duds or likely duds on our list. That's pretty much a fact. And then we have the old proven crew. I don't understand why the likes of Sipposs and Lee are kept on. They are hacks IMO. I don't have to like all players on our current list. That may change in 5 years if Pelican does what he says he will.

I know we have players who arent up to it but you just proved my point by calling these players duds and hacks. Sorry I dont like those terms for any players let alaone ours. keep it up though.
Each to their own plugs.
I don't fraternise with the players or their mates like you do, and we have a terrible current list hopefully Pelican will cut a few more for this year.

Excellent comment. I dont fratenise either but I do respect people whether they play footy or what ever they do in life so I dont call players duds and hacks. You class players as piece of meat. Also you only want loyalty when it suits you. You keep going on about the list because you just dont get my point. It has nothing to do with the list how you desribe players.
Don't worry plugs I get your point and I stand by what I say. As I said, each to their own.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

he was great last night
he was involved in 4 of the first 5 goals from memory
had plenty off assists

good on him
it was the right time for him i think
while it wouldve been great to keep him
he wasnt going to win a flag at the saints and he was worth a few picks
so the right decision was made imo
move him on, take the picks and he can go to a team that is only on the way up in the next two or three years
i hope he wins a flag

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Best final he's played, easily

His best ever final was the 2008 semi final against the Magpies at the G mate.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
6621104 wrote:Yep, trading stars is dumb. No, Geelong has not needed to (they have moved on the support cast), BUT as Con has said, their support cast has currency as in a good team they still seem good players.
It'll be fascinating to see what happens from here for Geelong. As it stands they'll have nine 30 year olds next year: Enright 33; Johnson, Bartel, Kelly, Lonergan 31; Mackie, McIntosh, Rivers, Stokes 30. Taylor turns 29 halfway through the year. That's 10 of their best 22 nearing the end of their careers.

Yes, they have some young guys who look good. The question is: are Duncan, Motlop, Christensen, Guthrie, Caddy, Blicavs, Murdoch, Horlin-Smith etc actually good enough to keep them in contention?

The next couple of years is where we find out how good their planning was. As you say, they haven't moved on their stars. Let's see how that works for them.

I have been saying this for the last year, Geelong are not going to stay up much longer. They had an incredible era but the cliff is coming. They will go back down in a couple of years and probably have a down era as they try to keep artificially inflated. Still had a pretty amazing run at it.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

On Dal Santo, terrific player for us. Highly, highly skilled and poised under pressure. As I understand it he wanted to stay a Saint.

A longshot, but I'd love to see him taste premiership glory this year. At least one of that old Saints inner core would have experienced it. Ball doesn't count. He wanted out