Window bolted shut?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Window bolted shut?

And gram and goddard (especially gram) aren't a loss - their going creates an opportunity - let's hope some players grab it with both hands.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:And gram and goddard (especially gram) aren't a loss - their going creates an opportunity - let's hope some players grab it with both hands.
That's a big call. Lose two 150+ gamers and find drop-in replacements? Regardless of your opinion of the individuals, that doesn't just happen. It'll be a good result if Siposs and Newnes/Dunell end the season half as productive as Goddard and Gram were.

Trixilver
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
desertsaint wrote:And gram and goddard (especially gram) aren't a loss - their going creates an opportunity - let's hope some players grab it with both hands.
That's a big call. Lose two 150+ gamers and find drop-in replacements? Regardless of your opinion of the individuals, that doesn't just happen. It'll be a good result if Siposs and Newnes/Dunell end the season half as productive as Goddard and Gram were.
It's a short term loss I'd say.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Trixilver wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Yeah, agree with both of you - it's not necessarily a loss (well gram I still think isn't at all), and over the course of the season I expect neither to be missed. I may be wrong, hence the 'hope'.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
Trixilver wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Yeah, agree with both of you - it's not necessarily a loss (well gram I still think isn't at all), and over the course of the season I expect neither to be missed. I may be wrong, hence the 'hope'.

Do you think recruiting Lee and Hickey will improve us?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Do you think recruiting Lee and Hickey will improve us?

I do, absolutely. What do you think?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

I''l buy in here.

Not immediately as they would be seen as longer term replacements for Roo and Kosi. I can't see how could play all these talls in the team at the same time.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

Then you must think losing BJ and Gram will mean we will really struggle this year?

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Let's hope. How can we know?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:

Its just that you think losing a player who has finished in the top 5 in the B&F 3 times and a nearly Norm Smith medalist wont be a loss as the season goes on so it would seem strange that a no gamer and a 12 gamer would be a gain at any stage this season.

I think my point is losing BJ and Grammy are definite disadvantages this season and a very big one at that.

evo
Club Player

Lee and Hickey play in different positions to BJ and Gram and will probably improve us in their possies. Having said that I dont think we can cover the loss of two very experienced players unless some others step up.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:Lee and Hickey play in different positions to BJ and Gram and will probably improve us in their possies. Having said that I dont think we can cover the loss of two very experienced players unless some others step up.

Yes I know that but to say we wont miss those 2 by half way through the year completely under values their worth. Lets face a year or 2 ago some people on here thought BJ was the best player in the AFL. Now we wont miss him. Come off it guys. lets make the discussion sensible.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Goddard leaves a significant hole, even if some on here deny it. Even though not at his best in the past two years, we still have to find a replacement who gets it about 25 times per game and uses it better than most.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Then you must think losing BJ and Gram will mean we will really struggle this year?
We've needed a proper full forward for some years and hopefully Lee is it. We lacked ruck depth to the extent that Blake had to take over when Ben was injured last year. Hickey can fill that slot.

So in that sense, yes, of course it improves us.

Does the loss of Goddard and Gram weaken us? In other ways, yes.

We may be bereft of running defenders, which is one reason I was surprised to see both Gram and Raph delisted.

Is Newnes big enough to do that role?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
We've needed a proper full forward for some years and hopefully Lee is it. We lacked ruck depth to the extent that Blake had to take over when Ben was injured last year. Hickey can fill that slot.

We may be bereft of running defenders, which is one reason I was surprised to see both Gram and Raph delisted.

dunnel and roberton can play that role
and siposs can play bjs role (albeit not as good yet but getting there)

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Goddard leaves a significant hole, even if some on here deny it. Even though not at his best in the past two years, we still have to find a replacement who gets it about 25 times per game and uses it better than most.

In total agreement WW. Do you think the club did the right thing?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Goddard is a massive hole.

In a team full of average kicks he was critical!

Still finished top 4 in the B+F in a supposed poor year. Armo and Jack finished 9th and 8th in break out years.... I just think everyone wanted BJ to play the same game he did in the 2010 GF every week?!

Gram was very consistent in 2012 after injury hurt him in 2011 early. His run and carry and experience was also important in many games.

Not only that, BJ improves a competitor much the same way Luke Ball improved Collingwood!!

We are most certainly in transition.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Goddard is a massive hole.

In a team full of average kicks he was critical!

Still finished top 4 in the B+F in a supposed poor year. Armo and Jack finished 9th and 8th in break out years.... I just think everyone wanted BJ to play the same game he did in the 2010 GF every week?!

Gram was very consistent in 2012 after injury hurt him in 2011 early. His run and carry and experience was also important in many games.

Not only that, BJ improves a competitor much the same way Luke Ball improved Collingwood!!

We are most certainly in transition.
In the short term yes but what about the other side of the argument? Frees up our salary cap and we did receive three players for BJ out of the comp (Hickey, TDL and Spencer White). The decision may take 3-5 years to play out.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Goddard leaves a significant hole, even if some on here deny it. Even though not at his best in the past two years, we still have to find a replacement who gets it about 25 times per game and uses it better than most.
The club did the right thing because we're not going to be contending for five years anyway. May as well get some youngsters in, tighten up the wage structure and get ready to drop fast with the hope that we'll come straight back up.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:

I think so Pav. They're planning for the future and have freed up significant space in the cap by not meeting Goddard's hefty demands. Unlike some, I think we'll be very competitive this year. If we can jag a couple of quality FA's at the end of the season, we could easily go back to being serious contenders. I have faith in the pelican and I can see where he is going with his list management strategies. The Goddard decision might mean some short term pain, but we've already been compensated in the form of Hickey(who I really rate),nas well as allowing us to become serious players in the FA market.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

I think so Pav. They're planning for the future and have freed up significant space in the cap by not meeting Goddard's hefty demands. Unlike some, I think we'll be very competitive this year. If we can jag a couple of quality FA's at the end of the season, we could easily go back to being serious contenders. I have faith in the pelican and I can see where he is going with his list management strategies. The Goddard decision might mean some short term pain, but we've already been compensated in the form of Hickey(who I really rate),nas well as allowing us to become serious players in the FA market.
Nice one WW. :)

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

dunnel and roberton can play that role
and siposs can play bjs role (albeit not as good yet but getting there)
So what would Newnes' best position be? Is he an onballer Dal Santo type?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

That's alright #33 will be back to his best this year and can jimmy it open...boom tish ;)

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
desertsaint wrote:

Its just that you think losing a player who has finished in the top 5 in the B&F 3 times and a nearly Norm Smith medalist wont be a loss as the season goes on so it would seem strange that a no gamer and a 12 gamer would be a gain at any stage this season.

I think my point is losing BJ and Grammy are definite disadvantages this season and a very big one at that.
but I've seen gram play - no loss. I don't rate him as I thought him a bad influence on the field (and now it seems possibly off it as well). I'm talking 2013 here - i believe gram would not be a regular by the business end of the year. And bj - well lets just say he hasn't been at his best since he took that screamer.
But I'll concede he'll be hard to replace as an individual player, still avery, very good player - it's more a belief (hope) that the team could fit better as a unit, and it's an opportunity for someone to stand up.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

without judas means Dal is the obvious tag, and likely see him play forward pocket occasionally. you could say he was the obvious tag anyway. not only did we get two or three good prospects for judas but certainly opens it up for Siposs, Gears, Dempster to create more from the back. we will miss him a little in the centre and not really going forward. Gram and Cripps were shoddy overhead which for me is a bugbear and based purely on this I personally won't miss them.

judas got a lot of possies but was on auto pilot I reckon. and with his pace dropping off, if he gets off to a bad start at essonscum, could really poo his pants over there. sounds like wishful thinking but could happen.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches