Goddard to Essendon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markp
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goddard to Essendon

PaytonPlace wrote:Definitely need to embrace the Sydney mantra - no one is bigger than the club
+ we've got an extra $800k on our salary cap.

If you think they don't pay their elite players accordingly I reckon you're kidding yourself.

saintbob
SS Life Member

noob wrote:I miss him already. But it was the right thing to do in the interests of St.Kilda Football Club.

+1

No hard feelings here, good luck BJ!!!!

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

SO when will we hear what we "get" for losing Brendan Goddard?
The news subtext is annoying too - ABC "The StKilda football club has *surrendered* champion player Brendan Goddard to Essendon"
Just GREAT for the brand :roll:

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
markp
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
markp wrote:
SainterK wrote:
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/ ... ract-for-p..

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/f ... 6179942478

Clarke, Peake, Ray, Polo all signed after Pelchen arrived and towards the end of last season.
You'd take BJ over that lot combined, surely.
You'd take Dawson over that lot… was strange that we didn't.
And yet now we're supposed to have the utmost faith that everything's tickety boo.

kalsaint
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
The Fireman wrote:The loss of Goddard will pretty much ensure we don't see a flag for many years to come.
Knowing our luck, BJ will be to the Bombers, what Ball became to the Pies :(
I doubt it for the GF and the the flag comment.
We did all right without him for 2 matches in a row at a critical time of the season for us.

We will find a way to build a better team without supestar pay checks but reasonable payouts to better players by building a team servant culture. That is why I love Lenny so much.

Hope you do alright for the Bomber bar the games against the Saints BJ.
THE CLUB MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
dragit
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote: And yet now we're supposed to have the utmost faith that everything's tickety boo.
You need a kool aid my friend… :D

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote: And yet now we're supposed to have the utmost faith that everything's tickety boo.
http://www.sportal.com.au/afl-opinion-d ... ddy-201346

The Saints also in danger of losing Farren Ray. The journeyman midfielder was seen meeting Melbourne last week"

Cripps, BJ and Ray leaving....how many weeks of this to go?

Tickety boo, have to remember that

saintkid
Club Player

I would have liked him to stay but not for that amount of money, there has to be some commonsense in player payments with respect to the club's total salary cap. However, in saying this I can't for the life of me see why the club has continued to pay good money to Kosi and Gram. These blokes are not our future. Kosi makes Gehrig look like a superstar in the year Thomas convinced him to go again when he even knew his time was up and sadly struggled as a shadow of his former self. Gram is a lazy footballer who struggles to lay a decent tackle and gets beaten too easily.

markp
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
You need a kool aid my friend… :D
I'd prefer a BJ!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote:I would have liked him to stay but not for that amount of money, there has to be some commonsense in player payments with respect to the club's total salary cap. However, in saying this I can't for the life of me see why the club has continued to pay good money to Kosi and Gram. These blokes are not our future. Kosi makes Gehrig look like a superstar in the year Thomas convinced him to go again when he even knew his time was up and sadly struggled as a shadow of his former self. Gram is a lazy footballer who struggles to lay a decent tackle and gets beaten too easily.
Lay off it champ… these guys famously had clauses that allowed them to extend their contract…

Why don't you tell us how crap & lazy Montagna is again too…

Rosco
Club Player

mbogo wrote:SO when will we hear what we "get" for losing Brendan Goddard?
The news subtext is annoying too - ABC "The StKilda football club has *surrendered* champion player Brendan Goddard to Essendon"
we don't know until the end of the free agent period. 3 weeks i think.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:

Isnt FA only a week or so?

saintkid
Club Player

dragit wrote:
saintkid wrote:I would have liked him to stay but not for that amount of money, there has to be some commonsense in player payments with respect to the club's total salary cap. However, in saying this I can't for the life of me see why the club has continued to pay good money to Kosi and Gram. These blokes are not our future. Kosi makes Gehrig look like a superstar in the year Thomas convinced him to go again when he even knew his time was up and sadly struggled as a shadow of his former self. Gram is a lazy footballer who struggles to lay a decent tackle and gets beaten too easily.
Lay off it champ… these guys famously had clauses that allowed them to extend their contract…

Why don't you tell us how crap & lazy Montagna is again too…

Well that was stupid list management wasn't it?

Btw, I never said Montagna was "crap and lazy". I said that he was nowhere near an elite midfielder and overrated AND I stand by what I said. His B&F performance doesn't change things with me, Milne had a better year and look where he finished.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

If Goddard has 6-10 good games for Ess - we will look like fools ... it is very unlikely our "compensation pick" will do much next year.
We will finish 13th next year at this rate.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

mbogo wrote:If Goddard has 6-10 good games for Ess - we will look like fools ...
Wouldn't the team that's paying a bloke $800,000 for 6-10 good games out of 22 look like the fools?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

Clarke, Peake, Ray, Polo all signed after Pelchen arrived and towards the end of last season.
Nice selective editing......I see you trimmed this years AA player out of the list of players, and that all were offered cut-price deals.. Convenient.

Farren Ray, Sean Dempster, Brett Peake, Zac Dawson, Jason Blake and Dean Polo are among those seeking new deals at a time when St Kilda has to slash its wages bill.

The Saints have been forced to offer cut-price deals, aware they could lose those players for nothing in the national or pre-season drafts.

Dempster won AA this year..was on bargain based money this season. Keep BJ on $3 million over 4 years and players like him get shown the door. That is the whole point of why we could not pay BJ that much. Dempster had a great year this and should be rewarded. Pay BJ the $3million and Demspter and co miss out.

You need a pool of players for depth, and you need a pool of players as in every year as some will in that year improve, and some will go backwards.

While you are implying it is obvious now that all should have been chopped instead, some too were calling for Milne's head.

The key problem was not bottom tier...but rather that some players were on too much money. Gram included.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 01 Oct 2012 9:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
markp
Saintsational Legend

I'll say this though, if $800k x 4 is true, good luck.

And how quickly they'll turn on him and the club if he doesn't live up to it.

Here's hoping.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Nice selective editing......I see you trimmed this years AA player out of the list of players, and that all were offered cut-price deals.. Convenient.

Farren Ray, Sean Dempster, Brett Peake, Zac Dawson, Jason Blake and Dean Polo are among those seeking new deals at a time when St Kilda has to slash its wages bill.

The Saints have been forced to offer cut-price deals, aware they could lose those players for nothing in the national or pre-season drafts.

Dempster won AA this year..was on bargain based money this season. Keep BJ on $3 million over 4 years and players like him get shown the door. That is the whole point of why we could not pay him that much. He had a great year and should be rewarded.

You need a pool of players for depth, and you need a pool of players as in every year as some will in that year improve, and some will go backwards.

While you are implying it is obvious now that all should have been chopped instead, some too were calling for Milne's head.

The key problem was not bottom tier...but rather that some players were on too much money. Gram included.
Of course I edited him out, Dempster played every game this season?

How many did guys like Peake. Polo. Ray play between them?

My point was they were offered contracts over keeping Dawson.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Rosco wrote:

Isnt FA only a week or so?
October 1-19... nearly 3

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:
mbogo wrote:If Goddard has 6-10 good games for Ess - we will look like fools ...
Wouldn't the team that's paying a bloke $800,000 for 6-10 good games out of 22 look like the fools?
I s'pose it depends on what "good" is - I was thinking - top 5 players in a game I guess?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Rubbish. Your point is flawed. They were on cut-price minimum deals. You are going to have a set number of players on your list. If Polo on minimum wage was not there then Jo Bloggs on minimum wage would have been instead.

It was not Polo or Joe Bloggs vs Zac

If was Zac on higher money vs chopping someone at the top's salary.

Or are you making the ludicrous proposal that we play several players short? Or if not that you recruit absolute bozos merely to balance the book?
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 01 Oct 2012 9:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Rubbish. Your point is flawed. They were on cut-price minimum deals. You are going to have a set number of players on your list. If Polo on minimum wage was not there then Jo Bloggs on minimum wage would have been instead.

It was not Polo or Joe Bloggs vs Zac

If was Zac on higher money vs chopping someone at the top's salary.

Or are you making the ludicrous prposal that we play several players short?
What is the minmum deal in the AFL?

What did Dawson leave over?

Edit The minimum rookie wage would increase from $35,000 a year to $49,000, and an ambassadors' fund would be set up - with a total of $2 million available annually to be paid to players for promoting the game.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-pre ... z282lBQWjf

dragit
Saintsational Legend

mbogo wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
I s'pose it depends on what "good" is - I was thinking - top 5 players in a game I guess?
I reckon the benchmark for a guy you are paying over 800K would be that he would be in the top 5 players for EVERY SINGLE GAME… and top 3 for most… lets not forget that he will now be in the top 10 paid players in the comp.

loris
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Now wait a minute........................ if I recollect correctly.................... and I'm prepared to say I could be wrong........................... Dawson WAS offered a contract. It was just not to his liking, not what he thought he was worth......and of course Freo agreed.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote: What is the minmum deal in the AFL?

What did Dawson leave over?
Edit The minimum rookie wage would increase from $35,000 a year to $49,000, and an ambassadors' fund would be set up - with a total of $2 million available annually to be paid to players for promoting the game.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-pre ... z282lBQWjf
And what does a rookie have to do with it?