Steven Baker on Open Mike

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Steven Baker on Open Mike

SainterK wrote:I wasn't having a go at you.

Just think it would be easier for you to watch the interview rather than ask about each point.

He said he went out with Barry/Jones to a bar the night before his first day. Admits he was star struck, drank heaps of shots. Woke up in the morning starkers, completely wet, with no idea where he was. Walked out of this bedroom, and a woman in the house saw him and screamed. Said sorry he didn't know where he was, she said it was Barrys house and she was his GF, and that Barry had poured a jug of cold water over him about 6 hours ago in an attempt to wake him.

Got to the club at about 1, when he was supposed to get there at 7am, and Watson was not impressed. Nearly got sacked, certainly copped it and was told to get his act together, cut his hair etc.

Now that story is 100% true but I thought you were saying all draftees got on the drink.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Just think it would be easier for you to watch the interview rather than ask about each point.

He said he went out with Barry/Jones to a bar the night before his first day. Admits he was star struck, drank heaps of shots. Woke up in the morning starkers, completely wet, with no idea where he was. Walked out of this bedroom, and a woman in the house saw him and screamed. Said sorry he didn't know where he was, she said it was Barrys house and she was his GF, and that Barry had poured a jug of cold water over him about 6 hours ago in an attempt to wake him.

Got to the club at about 1, when he was supposed to get there at 7am, and Watson was not impressed. Nearly got sacked, certainly copped it and was told to get his act together, cut his hair etc.

This is what I was upset about most.

Hall and Jones taking a new draftee drinking the night before his first training session.

He said they were giving him shots.

Makes you sick, and give credence to being upset about players performances on the weekend given how hard some players train and prepare.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

This is what I was upset about most.

Hall and Jones taking a new draftee drinking the night before his first training session.

He said they were giving him shots.

Makes you sick, and give credence to being upset about players performances on the weekend given how hard some players train and prepare.
Says much about the culture before GT came along.

Barry must of done a bit of growing up to become a premiership captain it seems.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Surely the swans didn't have a 'no dhickheads' policy when hall went there? Otherwise it was flawed testing procedure - massive dhickhead.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Barry must of done a bit of growing up to become a premiership captain it seems.
Not really, he should have missed that Grand Final through his own stupidity remember?
massive one…

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Surely the swans didn't have a 'no dhickheads' policy when hall went there? Otherwise it was flawed testing procedure - massive dhickhead.

Maybe thats why they got rid of him mid season....

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote: I found out:

He employed tactics that disgust me back in the day (I was vocal about targetting an injured hand at the time)
The club truly was a basket case before GT arrived (taking new draftees out before their first day to get drunk as a skunk)
We really stood no chance in the GF replay playing injured/underdone players
It appeared to truly be a case of 'you were in or you were out' given Stanley/Armo/Gears were the emergencies for the GF replay
The GF Replay stuff disappointed me but not exactly a massive surprise. But if we criticise Ross for not being 100% in last year's elimination final we should be angry at Bakes for putting his hand up when he knew he wasn't up to it in the replay.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
dragit wrote:Surely the swans didn't have a 'no dhickheads' policy when hall went there? Otherwise it was flawed testing procedure - massive dhickhead.

you might be on the money here.....who the f*** gives shots to a kid?????

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Spinner wrote:

you might be on the money here.....who the f*** gives shots to a kid?????
Aussie Jones and Barry Hall weren't professional in 1998. Hardly a shock

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:

He employed tactics that disgust me back in the day (I was vocal about targetting an injured hand at the time)
The club truly was a basket case before GT arrived (taking new draftees out before their first day to get drunk as a skunk)
It appeared to truly be a case of 'you were in or you were out' given Stanley/Armo/Gears were the emergencies for the GF replay
The GF Replay stuff disappointed me but not exactly a massive surprise. But if we criticise Ross for not being 100% in last year's elimination final we should be angry at Bakes for putting his hand up when he knew he wasn't up to it in the replay.
I'm going with being angry at both of them...

Ross overvalued some players, and undervalued others.

Sure I probably didn't see it at the time so much, and will probably get whacked by some because unless you noticed at the time...you are not allowed to form an opinion on it now, but things keep surfacing now that makes me see it was the case.

You were in, or you were out.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:

I'm going with being angry at both of them...

Ross overvalued some players, and undervalued others.

Sure I probably didn't see it at the time so much, and will probably get whacked by some because unless you noticed at the time...you are not allowed to form an opinion on it now, but things keep surfacing now that makes me see it was the case.

You were in, or you were out.
Agree to a large extent, although most were doing their bit through 2010. Steven, Armo and Stanley were all given reasonable chances and Jack and Dave had injuries anyway. Eddy and McQ were both obviously lucky to make it, but that's also because they played reasonable footy in the finals. Ross coached for the moment, and I find it very hard to criticise when we got so close in 2009 and 2010. The backend of 2011 is a somewhat different story of course.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:Surely some of you are not trying to say we knew about him filing his stops with the intent to stop on ankles?

That in being disgusted with that means we didn't have our eyes open?

Come on now.

I reckon that was just bulls*** to be honest. Have you seen stops on footy boots these days?
I reckon I saw over 90% of Baker's games and I can't remember seeing him stomping on someone's ankle. How do you do that anyway?

I can't remember any opponent having a suspicious ankle injury after being near Bakes.

I don't recall anyone remonstrating with him over such an incident.

I haven't seen the interview yet but sounds like BS to me.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:Surely some of you are not trying to say we knew about him filing his stops with the intent to stop on ankles?

That in being disgusted with that means we didn't have our eyes open?

Come on now.

I reckon that was just bulls*** to be honest. Have you seen stops on footy boots these days?
I reckon I saw over 90% of Baker's games and I can't remember seeing him stomping on someone's ankle. How do you do that anyway?

I can't remember any opponent having a suspicious ankle injury after being near Bakes.

I don't recall anyone remonstrating with him over such an incident.

I haven't seen the interview yet but sounds like BS to me.
Probably did it a handful of times and that was it

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Love bakes, still. Nothing was a surprise. But reckon there's your typical poetic license in exaggerating a story here. Sharpening studs could well have been just getting them back to as new condition, exaggerated as is typical of old footballing, cricket, rugby, etc stories. Remember the great books Maxie walker wrote? Fair bit of license added to those as well. We all do it.
Bakes was a champion for us, gave his all, and deserves our admiration and respect for his time with us. Champion.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Moods
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Love how people want to bag Baker but where no doubt happy when he did his job. Ling,Kirk, Crowley and the likes would employ similar tactics.
Absolute Bullsh!t.

You say they employed similar tactics, but you wouldn't have a clue. All you do is assume they did because they were taggers as well. It actually makes sense now when other AFL players, particularly the stars, talk about Ling and Kirk in glowing terms. A common thread is that they didn't need to resort to certain tactics that other certain players do to get the job done. Obvious now who everyone is referring to. Little wonder players take to Twitter during games to vent their frustration - they know what';s really going on. Crowley no doubt is in the same boat as Baker.

Baker disgraced himself last night from what I heard (I refused to watch it, but plenty of mates did)

Those that are defending him probably shouldn't EVER complain or whine about an opposition player EVER for being dirty. They're the real hypocrites, not those of us who admit we're unimpressed with Bakes' grandstanding and headline grabbing interview.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Moods wrote:
Absolute Bullsh!t.

You say they employed similar tactics, but you wouldn't have a clue. All you do is assume they did because they were taggers as well. It actually makes sense now when other AFL players, particularly the stars, talk about Ling and Kirk in glowing terms. A common thread is that they didn't need to resort to certain tactics that other certain players do to get the job done. Obvious now who everyone is referring to. Little wonder players take to Twitter during games to vent their frustration - they know what';s really going on. Crowley no doubt is in the same boat as Baker.

Baker disgraced himself last night from what I heard (I refused to watch it, but plenty of mates did)

Those that are defending him probably shouldn't EVER complain or whine about an opposition player EVER for being dirty. They're the real hypocrites, not those of us who admit we're unimpressed with Bakes' grandstanding and headline grabbing interview.

Get off your high horse!

Have you ever played the game? You get those tactics at every level - right down to under 14's.

Baker is a legend of the club. A great player and a top bloke!

Pretty easy for people to sit behind their computers taking pot shots at players who would do ANYTHING to help their club succeed.

And how do you know they didn't use the same tactics? you don't! No-one here does!!!

Baker is the only one who has the kahunas to come out and admit it!!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote:
Moods wrote:
Absolute Bullsh!t.

Get off your high horse!

Have you ever played the game? You get those tactics at every level - right down to under 14's.

Pretty easy for people to sit behind their computers taking pot shots at players who would do ANYTHING to help their club succeed.

And how do you know they didn't use the same tactics? you don't! No-one here does!!!

Normally agree with a lot of things you say harvs but not this one. What Bakes did would have gone on years ago but I have seen little evidence in the last 10 years especially at lower level footy in the Ammos anyway and there is certainly bugger all if any in junior footy in our local comp.

The other thing I agree with moods about is if people who stick up for Bakes complain about other guys. Fine if you dont mind what bakes did as long as you are consistant with a player from another club. Footy is as hard as ever but surely dead arming people it nesesary or giving backwards headbuts. Knowing Bakes most of it is probably crap anyway because he really doesnt give a stuff what anyone thinks. Just go on his facebook and see some of the comments about last night.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

Normally agree with a lot of things you say harvs but not this one. What Bakes did would have gone on years ago but I have seen little evidence in the last 10 years especially at lower level footy in the Ammos anyway and there is certainly bugger all if any in junior footy in our local comp.

The other thing I agree with moods about is if people who stick up for Bakes complain about other guys. Fine if you dont mind what bakes did as long as you are consistant with a player from another club. Footy is as hard as ever but surely dead arming people it nesesary or giving backwards headbuts. Knowing Bakes most of it is probably crap anyway because he really doesnt give a stuff what anyone thinks. Just go on his facebook and see some of the comments about last night.
You never played Juniors against Jacana, Gladstone Park or Melton Sth then did you?

I have a nice scar on my shin where my flesh was scraped to the bone from pointed studs in an Under 14's game at Jacana! Nasty thing being able to see your shin bone!!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote:
Moods wrote:
Absolute Bullsh!t.

Get off your high horse!

Shows how much you know. I have been involved with footy as a player for 20 years and a coach for a few others - from juniors through to seniors. These tactics have NEVER been considered the norm, particularly in U14's.

You sound like just another bloke trying to come off as being a hard nut.

Bakes doesn't have Kahunas - he's as dumb as a door knob and he just proved it last night. What possible reason did he have to talk about that crap, other than to embarrass himself, and the club we all love.

What do you mean , how do I know that Kirk and Ling didn't use the same tactics? If they did I doubt they would be held in the high esteem that they are today. That's one clue.

This great clubman who you so worship, just made our club and himself look like idiots. Yeah, he would do anything for the club :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

You never played Juniors against Jacana, Gladstone Park or Melton Sth then did you?

I have a nice scar on my shin where my flesh was scraped to the bone from pointed studs in an Under 14's game at Jacana! Nasty thing being able to see your shin bone!!

i played in the BMYC which is the bentleigh Mckinnon Youth centre. That then became the Moorabbin saints and is now another name like south east junior footy association. Went and saw my mates kids play in a prelim on Sunday and it was a great community day and great Under 16's footy. Tough and fair and how all footy should be.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Moods wrote:
How do you come to that conclusion?

It does happen. I don't know what team/league you are involved in but I have played in some leagues that you would probably pass out if you hear some of the stories.

Not being a "hard nut" just the unfortunate area I lived in as a junior!

And I'm such a hard nut that I gave the game away because I was sick of being belted behind play.

Yep I'm a true tough nut :roll:

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote: i played in the BMYC which is the bentleigh Mckinnon Youth centre. That then became the Moorabbin saints and is now another name like south east junior footy association. Went and saw my mates kids play in a prelim on Sunday and it was a great community day and great Under 16's footy. Tough and fair and how all footy should be.
I agree....... should be, but unfortunately it's not!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Well they shouldn't of been considered that.

Emg: Jarryn Geary, Rhys Stanley, David Armitage

You tell me?
wow

Doesn't that just sum it up

At least we can dispell that myth

Moods
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote:
Moods wrote:
How do you come to that conclusion?

It does happen. I don't know what team/league you are involved in but I have played in some leagues that you would probably pass out if you hear some of the stories.

Not being a "hard nut" just the unfortunate area I lived in as a junior!

And I'm such a hard nut that I gave the game away because I was sick of being belted behind play.

Yep I'm a true tough nut :roll:

Well if that's the case, why would you begin to defend these tactics, or even accept them? I despised blokes who couldn't get a kick on their merits and had to resort to thuggery to beat their opponents. What Bakes did was neither honourable or acceptable. You appear to be saying that 'it's all part of the rough and tumble of the game.' I say that's bullsh1t. Some players may try and play like that, but it's never been part of the game. It's not part of the game that I love. I have always looked at players (local or AFL) as losers who have to resort to that.

How can we admire Bakes and not admire Tony Liberatore for similar type tactics in a different era? How can we accept what happened to Farmer and yet condemn Brereton for what he did to Frawley or what Hocking did to HaRVEY? As I said the true hypocrites are the ones who attempt to defend Bakes

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
SainterK wrote:Well they shouldn't of been considered that.

Emg: Jarryn Geary, Rhys Stanley, David Armitage

You tell me?
wow

Doesn't that just sum it up

At least we can dispell that myth
I think so too. :(