Edit: NO TRADES!!! Saints to not be big traders....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kaos theory
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Man, if we have to go again with this same list, we've seriously got our work cut out for us. 3 chances to win a flag in just over 12 months and 5 prelims in the past 7 seasons, with this core group, and no flag from any of that and they're all of a sudden going to do it next year, with all the mental scarring that is likely after all these missed opportunities? That will take a monumental effort.
forgetting that Rooey & gram were on long-term injury list this yr, that was a big dent to our consitency, and had impact at the end. Also, all the young players will be a yr more experienced & stronger too.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

MadSaintFan wrote:Apparently the Saints were the only club to have no representation at Etihad Stadium on the final day of trade week.

Shows the Club must be confident in the young talent they have available and not interested in the C Grade players open for trade. Other than Krakour I couldnt see any of the players put up for trade being any value.

As I've said many times: Improvement in 2011 will come from - Armitage, Geary, Eddy, Stanley, Lynch, Heyne, Simpkin, A.Smith. Not from other teams rejects.
we are just SOOO confident that noone turned up. I hate to be a killjoy but the reality is noone turned up because we have no friggin recruitment staff.

in 2009 we had the 4th lowest list mgt/recruitment in the afl.

in 2010 - our recruiting manager john beveridgre retired as did out list/footy mgr Matthew Drain. Leaving with undoubtedly the most ill equipped under resourced recruitment/list team in the AFL.

Seriously. This is farked. Sugar coat & spin it all you like. But this is FARKED!

So yeah we have to hope like hell that our previous years young draftees can be good. Dont expect much from us in this years draft either.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
MadSaintFan wrote:Apparently the Saints were the only club to have no representation at Etihad Stadium on the final day of trade week.

Shows the Club must be confident in the young talent they have available and not interested in the C Grade players open for trade. Other than Krakour I couldnt see any of the players put up for trade being any value.

As I've said many times: Improvement in 2011 will come from - Armitage, Geary, Eddy, Stanley, Lynch, Heyne, Simpkin, A.Smith. Not from other teams rejects.
we are just SOOO confident that noone turned up. I hate to be a killjoy but the reality is noone turned up because we have no friggin recruitment staff.

in 2010 - our recruiting manager john beveridgre retired as did out list/footy mgr Matthew Drain. Leaving with undoubtedly the most ill equipped under resourced recruitment/list tea in the AFL.

Seriously. This is farked. Sugar coat & spin it all you like. But this is FARKED!
Who said John Beveridge retired?

Saintersss
Club Player

I love how everyone keeps saying our young guys will step up. It's like de ja vu, I swear I remember everyone saying last year that Armitage, Steven, Al Smith and Walsh were all going to cement their first 22 spots.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saintersss wrote:I love how everyone keeps saying our young guys will step up. It's like de ja vu, I swear I remember everyone saying last year that Armitage, Steven, Al Smith and Walsh were all going to cement their first 22 spots.
People who said that just dont know footy. The only chance of any of those stepping up was Armo and maybe Steven however Steven hurt himself in pre season so he missed the boat. Next year Armo must finally step up as must Steven. Walsh isnt going to be a GF winning player next year and neither will Smith. Heyne must improve next year and hopefully we will get more out of Stanley. Simpkin is a slight chance as well to get a few games as he is a third year player.

The way i see it by finals time next year and all this baring injury is Armo finally proving himself as well as Steven with slight chances to Stanley, Heyne, Smith and Simpkin but only slight.

Winmarvellous
Club Player

I tell you what, some of them better step up we might as well trade the majority and rebuild from the ground up. Personally, i don't think Armo has what it takes. haven't seen too much fromn any bar Stevens to be honest, and that was only a cameo. Stanley COULD be ANYTHING, but so could've Kosi and look how that turned out.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Saintersss wrote:I love how everyone keeps saying our young guys will step up. It's like de ja vu, I swear I remember everyone saying last year that Armitage, Steven, Al Smith and Walsh were all going to cement their first 22 spots.
People who said that just dont know footy. The only chance of any of those stepping up was Armo and maybe Steven however Steven hurt himself in pre season so he missed the boat. Next year Armo must finally step up as must Steven. Walsh isnt going to be a GF winning player next year and neither will Smith. Heyne must improve next year and hopefully we will get more out of Stanley. Simpkin is a slight chance as well to get a few games as he is a third year player.

The way i see it by finals time next year and all this baring injury is Armo finally proving himself as well as Steven with slight chances to Stanley, Heyne, Smith and Simpkin but only slight
so if by finals time all of what you say happens, why not trade some of them now and bring in other players?

it wuld appear that the club is quite happy where we are and what the players like otherwise they would have traded them?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

The way i see it by finals time next year and all this baring injury is Armo finally proving himself as well as Steven with slight chances to Stanley, Heyne, Smith and Simpkin but only slight
so if by finals time all of what you say happens, why not trade some of them now and bring in other players?

it wuld appear that the club is quite happy where we are and what the players like otherwise they would have traded them?
Trade who?

MadSaintFan
Club Player

Reading between the lines I think Ross will be giving alot more game time to Armitage, Stanley, Miles, Smith.

We're in a tricky spot though - now (with the modified drafts) is not the time to be falling off the pace. Its going to happen eventually but hopefully not in the next 2-3 years!

spert
Saintsational Legend

You can be sure we will see a lot more of the up and coming players in the seniors next season, especially in the forward line.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

The way i see it by finals time next year and all this baring injury is Armo finally proving himself as well as Steven with slight chances to Stanley, Heyne, Smith and Simpkin but only slight.
People also keep forgetting that this is a team that has won most of it's games in the last 2 years and has been (arguably) unlucky in 2 GFs in the same period.

It's been bloody hard for anyone to get into that team!

saintly
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:You can be sure we will see a lot more of the up and coming players in the seniors next season, especially in the forward line.
how do you know that? and who will they replace?

saintly
Saintsational Legend

MadSaintFan wrote:Reading between the lines I think Ross will be giving alot more game time to Armitage, Stanley, Miles, Smith.

We're in a tricky spot though - now (with the modified drafts) is not the time to be falling off the pace. Its going to happen eventually but hopefully not in the next 2-3 years!
4 players in, who wil lbe the 4 players out?

baker?
Mcqualter?
Eddy?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

in 2010 - our recruiting manager john beveridgre retired as did out list/footy mgr Matthew Drain. Leaving with undoubtedly the most ill equipped under resourced recruitment/list tea in the AFL.

hes semi retired since 2007!

what the F*** ever happened to john peake?

http://www.saints.com.au/Season2007/New ... wsId=42453

Wed 02 May, 2007
St Kilda Football Club is pleased to announce the appointment of John Peake as the Club’s Recruiting Manager.

Previous Recruiting Manager, John Beveridge is slightly easing up on his recruiting workload and will take up a role in a Recruiting Advisor capacity, after 24 years at the Saints.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Wed 02 May, 2007
St Kilda Football Club is pleased to announce the appointment of John Peake as the Club’s Recruiting Manager.

Previous Recruiting Manager, John Beveridge is slightly easing up on his recruiting workload and will take up a role in a Recruiting Advisor capacity, after 24 years at the Saints.
what do you mean whats happen to john peake? he is still recuiting manager, he does not go to trade week. neither did john beveridge do trade week. they look after the draft and the kids.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Wed 02 May, 2007

Well he still probably works over 50 hours a week so I would suggest he is still working very much for the club.