Ross Lyon needs to go NOW !!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

The problem for SrR ... 'all we need is a coach with a Plan B to win a flag'. .
rodgerfox wrote: Which oddly changed very quickly in 2007 to 'GT ruined the list' and some other beauties once it was realised the 2006 ramblings were nonsense.

After RF's clear misrepresentation about my previous posts I have dragged up these two from 2006.

On reading them you will note that it is very clear back in 2006 that I was not stating that all we needed was a new coach with a Plan B to win the flag.

The reader will note that a number of the "ifs" that I listed did not have favourable outcomes.

As to exactly which of my posts changed "very quickly" I await RF to precisely identify. No one is 100% correct but I am more than happy with the bulk my posts over time.

List Management :Which way forward?

In terms of building the perfect premiership team our needs are:
• True tall tap ruckman
• Two more quick and skilled midfielders
• One Gorilla full back.

Now having said that there is no such thing as a perfect team. The Eagles are for example chock full of some sensational players . . . but do not have a perfect list. The Eagles though are working hard on their weaknesses. i.e. KFs. Glass emerging as big full back this year was a big plus for them. Hansen and Lynch who are both 23 are likely to both get better for the Eagles thus improving their team.

There is a high benchmark at present and the Saints need to improve in order to exceed it.

Raw potential:
Talking Windows I think we have seen the first window of a premiership for the Saints has closed . . . i.e. the one that would have been led by our older core of players. Peckett, Powell and Aussie are now gone . . .

Our older guard players that are now remaining will be support players rather than the core that we win with.

However our second window of opportunity is fortunately already opening for us . . . and if a lot goes right it may even snag us a flag in 2007 which would be great for Banger.

Our current list has the raw talent required to win a flag . . . but only if a number of players improve. ie any or all of:
• Brooks and Rix in the ruck. That this two develop into a reasonable ruck duo . . . and by that I mean have the ability to palm the ball to the advantage of our midfielders.
• Hamill actually playing
• The Clarke's finding fitness and Raph learning to dish the ball off to adavantage.
• Fiora playing good football week, in week out.
• McQualter stepping up to earn a regular spot in the midfield rotation.
• Kosi having a solid year.
• Gilbert ripening a year earlier than expected to give us that extra tall backman option in 2007.
• Rix to improve as ruck or key defensive back. There were good signs in 2006 and remember that he is 25 and that players of his height often bloom late ( ie Troy Simmonds turned 28 this year and had arguably his best year ever).
• That Joey and Gram conitinue on with the years that they had this year . . . and indeed that Gram morphs into a midfielder.
• That Roo learns how to kick straight at goal (. . . and one hopes to hear that a secret new football boot is about to be launched onto the world market that improves accuracy and power in kicking).
• That GTrain has a consistently good year.
• That Milne is returned to the forward pocket and plays like we know he can . . . and that he learns how to stick a tackle.
• That Hayes and Maguire as a minimum are fully fit and firing by mid-way thru 2007.
• That Ball's Op allows him much greater freedom and ability to kick than he had in 2006.
• . . . and maybe just maybe McG being harnessed to make effective use of his ball winning ability (though I am willing to skip this one).

However that is a lot of if's . . . we do not need all of them but yes, you would need most of them.

To top up . . . or to be slow and steady???
Will the "new order" emphasis be to put absolute priority to win the flag in 2007 and 2008 . . . or will the attitude be more to win it in 2007 if we can but to recruit more on the basis of best possible winning chance from 2008 to 2012.

Both approaches still require:
• True tall tap ruckman
• Two more quick and skilled midfielders
• One guerrilla full back.

Winning it in 2007 and 2008:
If this is the absolute main focus, then this will see greater weight being giving to trading either players or draft picks to get our needs addressed with players that can play now.

In terms of rucks . . . the only real option would appear to be Everitt . . . a bit of a gamble here given his lust for $ and off field antics. However no other quality ruckman, in term as of football ability is likely to be available on 2007. Everitt could possibly be taken in the PSD making his acquisition trade wise a "steal". As his salary can be halved as a veteran the first 8 teams would be unlikely to take him in the PSD . . . except maybe the Cats. He is worth more to the Saints than the Cats though.

With a ruckman, players such as Cox, Sandilands and Hudson have all been overlooked . . . so there is some gold out there for either the draft or rookie draft if we are able to spot it. JB needs to be given some extra resources.

Midfielders:
Pick 9 should probably gain us one. A second quick and skilled midfielder may not be available but someone like Kelly could be picked up for better midfield depth.
Thommo would be retained.
Aka would be looked at . . .

Full back:
For a Gorilla FB Mal Michael is the obvious option. However his team mate in Bradshaw is also well worth a look. At 27 is younger and also has the advantage of being a true swing player that can play either end. However you would imagine that the Cats and Dogs would be desperate for him and that this would bid up his trade value.

Look at one of the younger key backs who are currently not "happy" with their club.

Best possible winning chance from 2008 to 2012
With this scenario in trades for players are less likely . . . however the club will still be alert to deals of advantage. Players that address our weaknesses that can be obtained for a reasonable trade. i.e. Fiora and Meesen . . . or Fiora and Salopek (though this would require something extra from the Saints but Fiora is a PA boy . . . )

Kelly
Everitt would not be traded for, but may still be taken in the PSD.

Our first 2 picks of 9 and 27 would definitely not be traded . . . and most likely all would be kept. Of the 5 (or 6 picks) expect 3 to be midfielder types.

Gilbert will be the player we back to be our next back . . . along possibly with Rix for selected games and opponents.

The ruck stocks will be boosted by at least one draft pick (maybe a player aged 22+) and/or a rookie selections. A lot of effort needs to go into identifying possible ruck talent. Look at aquiring a young ruckman who has done a couple of years development.

Thommo may be retained.

With both approaches we need to do more with our Rookies . . . and to resource JB better . . . this means extra staff . . . or contractors.

Now which way will the Club go????? It will be interesting to watch.

The Post and Thread - 'saintsRrising' et al/saintsational.com

Also from 2006

For 2007 . . . the Saints actually need to improve . . . just to stay where they are. The top teams will in the main be better teams in 2007 and there will be an increased number of teams just outside the eight who will be pushing fiercely for a spot in the eight even if they are not genuine premierships threats:

. . . We hope that tactically Lyon will lead to an improvement in itself.

Our ruck division would seem to be a bit better but there is a big 'IF' over Gardiner and also Brooks. Can Gardi stick to the straight and narrow and be injury free and can Brooks continue on his late season form into 2007? Hayes, Ball, Hamill and Maguire all have injury clouds as do the Clarkes'. Kosi is now 100% fit but can he stay that way? Get them all on the park and we look good. Emerging young talent (i.e. players outside the 22) is a bit sparse at present. Can Mini step up? In the midfield can Sir Banger give one more great year . . . along with his mate Thommo? Can Birss step up to be our 22nd player and part of our midfield rotation.

We can be a better team in 2007, but their are a lots of 'ifs'.

Our improvement in 2007 will hopefully come from 3 main areas:
• improved tactics and game plan
• improved ability to play as team, as a unit, and to deliver the game plan with sustained 4 quarter efforts
• incremental individual improvement from our existing players . . . at least two thirds of them) whether that be Mile or Mini . . . we need a lot of players to play that bit better in 2007.

. . . and yes, lets hope for better luck with impact injuries in 2007 as I am confident that Craig will keep our soft tissue injuries to a reasonable level. A lot more 'ifs' than the Weagles have, but about the same as the Crows have.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 09 May 2010 1:40am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

.LIAR

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
35...LEGEND
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote: The Hawks by any statistical measure had a very good 2008. Also by observation they played very well in 2008.
So did we in 2009.

And we blew it. Hawthorn won.
We??

I thought your theory was that Lyon blew it?
??

Why would you think that? Have you read a single word that I've said?
rodgerfox wrote:

Hmmm, what I know is he had a chance and blew it badly.

You said it Rog :wink:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

35...LEGEND wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote: The Hawks by any statistical measure had a very good 2008. Also by observation they played very well in 2008.
So did we in 2009.

We??

??

rodgerfox wrote:

So when I've written 'we' about 900 times, you don't think Ross Lyon, in his role as Head Coach of the club, should be included in that??

He made errors. Some big errors.

Everyone involved on the day blew it.

Let me ask you something....

The sentence that you quoted, do you not see the irony in it? A poster suggests that Lyon got us to the GF (many others have said it outright). Yet everyone gets all huffy and sooky if anyone dares to suggest that he was in any way responsible for the loss on the day.

He got us to the GF. Not the players, not his assistants - he did. Apparently.

Yet we lose the unlosable game on the most important day of the year, and he can't in any way shape or form be held accountable or responsible for it?? Suddenly it's all the players.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

FFS you two get a room..........
then you can quote who said what here back in 1873 and what the coach was like/did/had/ate for breakfast

:P 8-)

na exa
Club Player

if they do get a room , i wanna go too !

these threads are gold .

:P :lol:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

At the end of the day,when RF was in charge (GT),he couldn't get us into a grand final. Infact when we failed in two prelims he cracked the sads and went for two hour walks the next week when the grand final was on such was his arrogance. No wonder it took years for the players to lose this ingrained ego that they played with

Bring back the Lockett era
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

For team success the medicos, recruiters and luck are the biggest factors. .. with coaches a distant last in the pecking order.

Yes luck plays a bigger role than the coach.

With a degree of luck Grant Thomas could have "won" us the premiership
with a different brand of football and a very young team and then would we consider him a better coach than RL .. without looking at the overall picture and how much luck plays a role?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
So did we in 2009.

We??

??

rodgerfox wrote:

So when I've written 'we' about 900 times, you don't think Ross Lyon, in his role as Head Coach of the club, should be included in that??

He made errors. Some big errors.

Everyone involved on the day blew it.

Let me ask you something....

The sentence that you quoted, do you not see the irony in it? A poster suggests that Lyon got us to the GF (many others have said it outright). Yet everyone gets all huffy and sooky if anyone dares to suggest that he was in any way responsible for the loss on the day.

He got us to the GF. Not the players, not his assistants - he did. Apparently.

Yet we lose the unlosable game on the most important day of the year, and he can't in any way shape or form be held accountable or responsible for it?? Suddenly it's all the players.
Your jumper number, don't forget to PM it to me :wink:

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Aah don't worry you're not the only morons out there

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/gro ... 841&ref=ts

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs