Lovett lodges notice of grievance with club

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Did I read correctly that Lyon hasn't had any contact with Lovett since the 'incident'?

Wow. Surely that couldn't be right?
Why?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:Did I read correctly that Lyon hasn't had any contact with Lovett since the 'incident'?

Wow. Surely that couldn't be right?
Why?
You don't think that says a bit about what the club's real intentions are in regards to Lovett's future?

This may be an important factor how Lovett's and the law sees this 'suspension'.

asiu

morning everyone

You don't think that says a bit about what the club's real intentions are in regards to Lovett's future?

a lot of em don't think , thats the problem

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Article by Sam Lane this morning.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/p ... -ng4g.html

Possibly interesting that Anderson couldn't be reached yesterday. I fear that this might be in danger of becoming an extremely sticky situation and that the AFL is wanting to keep well clear.

I'm starting to fear that some or all of the following might apply (warning, all of this is hypothetical: I'm not trying to comment on the actual case, about which I know nothing more than the rest of you).

A sexual assault case where charges could immediately be laid would generally require one of (a) a confession from the alleged perpetrator; (b) definitive evidence of physical violence (as opposed simply to sexual activity), or (c) a witness other than the victim who is prepared to go into the witness box and state that they either observed a sexual act without consent or (although this is weaker) heard the perpetrator say that they performed a sexual act without consent.

Imagine a case in which the police don't have (a), (b) or (c) (or some other definitive evidence that I can't think of right now) to work with. If nothing else, if the police had (c), that would surely constitute a prima facie case and the alleged perpetrator would be charged.

However, imagine if the potential other witnesses, even though they can't state on oath that they saw or heard what took place place, are absolutely convinced in their own minds that an assault occurred: eg, because of the subsequent behaviour of one or both of the parties involved. Not enough for a prima facie case, but enough for perhaps wanting to have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the alleged perpetrator ever again in their lives. Unfortunately, one of the witnesses works with the alleged perpetrator and he and his colleagues are so disgusted that they aren't prepared to work with him any longer.

Meanwhile, what are the police doing? They can't close the case, but likewise they can't move to lay charges. So they wait. And, if the allegations are extremely serious and are getting a lot of public scrutiny, they may be prepared to wait a fair while. After all, the alleged perpetrator might get drunk and let something slip to somebody.

So how does this sort of situation get resolved? I'm not sure, to be honest.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
GrumpyOne

Still think that someone has delivered an ultimatum to the StKFC which led to Lovett being suspended, and its not the AFL.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:Still think that someone has delivered an ultimatum to the StKFC which led to Lovett being suspended, and its not the AFL.
Who GO? Sponsor? Player? Players? Coach?

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
GrumpyOne

SENsaintsational wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:Still think that someone has delivered an ultimatum to the StKFC which led to Lovett being suspended, and its not the AFL.
I have no evidence in support of any finger-pointing, but the two who would have the most influence would be our major sponsor and our marquee player.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
I have no evidence in support of any finger-pointing, but the two who would have the most influence would be our major sponsor and our marquee player.
I will have a guess and say the person you upset the least at the Saints is neither of those 2 and AL upset that person twice in 4 weeks.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

gazrat wrote:morning everyone

a lot of em don't think , thats the problem
Yeah is that right,

considering you once posted, "it is my understanding that Thomas would step aside if he thought there was someone better to do the job"

and you believed every word

You took everything Thomas said as gospel and you like to think of yourself as mr perceptive up with all the machinations,

yeah like Thomas is going to step aside, forsake $500,000 a year plus potential bonuses, when he has 8 kids and a Brighton mansion to maintain, leaving aside the fact that Thomas couldn't even lie straight in bed

and you saddle up to your bum boy and have the gall to say other people don't have cognitive awareness!

GET REAL

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
I will have a guess and say the person you upset the least at the Saints is neither of those 2 and AL upset that person twice in 4 weeks.
Ross Lyon rules with an iron fist hey P66?

Hope he is fair as well.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:

Hope he is fair as well.
I reckon he is very fair if you do the right thing by him which seems fair enough to me.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:

Hope he is fair as well.
I reckon he is very fair if you do the right thing by him which seems fair enough to me.
Yeah - nothing wrong with being hard but fair.

I wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of Lyon and Lovett did twice in 4 weeks as you say.

Not only did he completely stuff up, but made Lyon look like a goose for selecting him.

I dont reckon Lyon would apologise for his attitude, he is trying to win a flag and do it his way or goodbye.

Denis Pagan was known as a hard pr!ck in the 90's at North, and many players didn't see eye to eye with him. However if Lyon could replicate Pagans record in the 90's (8 PF's, 3 GF's and two flags), I reckon most would be pretty satisified.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

MB is right about the police being prepared to wait things out if there isn't quite enough evidence to charge AL at this stage. It is common in serious cases for them to complete their investigations as far as possible, then leave the case open in the belief that in time, the required evidence may become available. This usually means a reluctant witness coming forward, or other previously unknown information coming to light. If this is the case here, then AL may be left in limbo for a long time, as there is no statute of limitations on laying a rape charge. Let's hope both sides (AL/AFLPA and the club) can work out a solution.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
yep...but for once..i'm not saying that go is heading down the wrong track either.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:MB is right about the police being prepared to wait things out if there isn't quite enough evidence to charge AL at this stage. It is common in serious cases for them to complete their investigations as far as possible, then leave the case open in the belief that in time, the required evidence may become available. This usually means a reluctant witness coming forward, or other previously unknown information coming to light. If this is the case here, then AL may be left in limbo for a long time, as there is no statute of limitations on laying a rape charge. Let's hope both sides (AL/AFLPA and the club) can work out a solution.

imhfo...you are both right....

ace
Saintsational Legend

S.A Saint wrote:
saintlee wrote:
TwoTowers wrote:Andrew Lovett has every right to be training with the club. He has not been charged with an offence and it is looking increasingly likely that he will not be. Was there ever anything in it? Ignore the pitiful rumours that have been spread around on this forum. Lovett wants to be vindicated and wants to play footy with the Saints. Prove I'm wrong.
Not if the coach and leadership group don't want him there, which they don't.

Not if he is suspended by the club for alleged rape.

Think its pretty clear that he has no right to train with the club at this time.

That may change if the allegation is dropped. But I think he has already blown his chance with the Saints.
its interesting thou that he is receiving weekly training and is completing weekly time trials....make of that what you want, but i think that there is still a good chance that if all the charges are dropped that he will play for us...
Weekly time trials can only mean one of two things.
Either the club is hoping no charges will be laid and he will return to the fold fully fit.
OR
the club is hoping that he will become dispirited, under train, lose fitness as proved by the time trials and they can then use that as an excuse to terminate his contract.

If it is the former, their will be a permanent heap of bitterness that will be hard to ever overcome.
Lovett seems to believe he is innocent and has been badly treated.

It is a bit like someone telling their parents that they are innocent of an allegation and then having the parents reject and shun them because their innocence is yet to be proven.
Later innocence proven, the parents then ask that someone to make a special effort and show them some loyalty because they are family. :roll:

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Lovett seems to believe he is innocent and has been badly treated.
It is a bit like someone telling their parents that they are innocent of an allegation and then having the parents reject and shun them because their innocence is yet to be proven.
Later innocence proven, the parents then ask that someone to make a special effort and show them some loyalty because they are family. :roll:
Jumping to conclusions a bit, aren't you? Lovett spent two hours with the cops and (presumably) either said very little or else gave a version of the events in which he didn't do anything wrong. He has not yet been charged with anything and has now decided to challenge his suspension by the club.

All of these actions, most likely taken on the basis of advice from highly-paid lawyers, are intended to increase his prospects of being cleared of any charges and being allowed to resume his lucrative career as an AFL player.

However, none of this in any way suggests that he "believes" he is innocent and has been treated badly. Given that he has decided (for whatever reason) not to confess to the alleged crime and take the consequences, then this is the only sensible way to behave.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
stinger
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:[ed that he will play for us...
Weekly time trials can only mean one of two things.
Either the club is hoping no charges will be laid and he will return to the fold fully fit.
OR
the club is hoping that he will become dispirited, under train, lose fitness as proved by the time trials and they can then use that as an excuse to terminate his contract.

If it is the former, their will be a permanent heap of bitterness that will be hard to ever overcome.
Lovett seems to believe he is innocent and has been badly treated.

[/quote]

i hope you meant latter..not former....

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Do any of you think that bringing Lovett back in would be a good thing at this stage?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
sainterinsydney
Club Player

I thought your innocent till proven guilty, not the other way around? An allegation is just that--an allegation. At the moment, Lovett is in neutral territory.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Do any of you think that bringing Lovett back in would be a good thing at this stage?
Probably cant think of much worse things at the moment.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

sainterinsydney wrote:I thought your innocent till proven guilty, not the other way around? An allegation is just that--an allegation. At the moment, Lovett is in neutral territory.

yep.....you are...but as some journo said recently.....this morning actually...

"In the eyes of the law, the individual's rights are paramount - a man is innocent until proven otherwise. In the disciplined AFL team, the needs of ''we'' will always outweigh the rights of ''me.'

GrumpyOne

bigred wrote:Do any of you think that bringing Lovett back in would be a good thing at this stage?
The damage was done when they kicked him out. No comeback from that now.

sainterinsydney
Club Player

True, but what happens if the charges are dropped? In my eye Lovett should then be allowed to play again. I think it would grossly unjust to not only the fans but Lovett himself if he was ostracised following the charges being dropped. I expect to see Lovett playing if no charges are laid; if charges are laid, then I would expect him to face serious scrutiny.

Also, I don't care if certain players might hate or dislike him. All clubs have animosity between certain players. I would expect him to then be allowed to prove himself on the field.