Club Statement- Luke B- :(- wants to go to pies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

jimbob wrote:IS EVERYONE FORGETTING ITS UP TO SAINTS ON WHO THEY TRADE WITH, AND IF NO TRADE IS MADE HE WILL SIGN ON OR GO INTO PSD AND ANYONE COULD PICK HIM UP, WE WILL DO WELL OUT OF THIS!
We can only deal with the Clubs who are interested in him....and if no trade is made then he either stays and we have a bloke on our list who doesnt want to be there. or he goes into the PSD and we get nothing for him

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
claystreet
Club Player

I go away for a week and look what you peple do to my footy team :lol:

Cya Bally i couldnt care less as long as we get a quality player, hes made his bed now let him sleep in it.

Hes only nominated Collingwood, Saints will shop him, maybe to Carlton for Fev :wink: maybe to the Bummers, what have the pies got to offer but some heads on sticks, they wont give up any guns.

Get over him people hes gone and i cant wait to see him playing for some floggers bouncing up and down in one spot.

Bring on Steven!!!

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote:3 Collingwood players I rate.....

Pendlebury
Beams
Sidebottom...

Possible?
Pendlebury, if that was possible I would say ask where do we sign? But I don't think he will be going anywhere and Beams and Sidebottom are too young and promising to trade for a slow mid with a suspect groin.

Bad management is bad management
LaUrEnCe
Club Player

NOOOOO

savatage
SS Life Member

I really like Luke Ball. He's a nice guy & he gave his all for this club...however - I can't say I'm too disappointed with this.

He is a shadow of his former self. It's really sad to see someone with great skills on both sides of the body & genuine pace being so crippled by his chronic groin issues. Fact is, in certain conditions he is suited but in dryer conditions his pace & disposal really let him down. He is probably worth a second round draft pick in all honesty. Definitely not going to fetch a first rounder these days.

David Armitage now has his opportunity. I was worried for him until this news - now this is the kickstart his career needs. Hopefully we can use Luke Ball in a 3 way deal & nab someone like a Burgoyne - or someone with genuine line breaking ability who can hopefully kick goals.

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Tuned into see this...and it's a shock..to actually see it in black and white, and on the AFL site...

but then, not really so much of a shock...the writing has been on the wall...injuries/OP/slow and poor kick, 2nds and lack of game-time...where would he have been heading with us?

A great player for us... and no one could question his guts and loyalty up to now...we must make this work in our favour. I believe Ross and the others will and it will end up good for us. If Collingwood do not play reasonable ball...they will not get him...simple as that!

Santazzi wrote

"Did I read some where that Bally is studying Law at Uni.?......if that is the case he is going to a place wher his services will be needed forever........!!!!"

Ball is acting just like any true lawyer would... out of self-interest and sold to the highest bidder...with the contacts at Collingwood on both sides of the bars...he will be on a winner for life.

If you are no longer a Saint...you no longer count

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

hotdish wrote:

Just being a realist here.

Their top 10 in this years BF:

Top 10 for the Copeland Trophy:

1. Dane Swan, 57 votes (EW Copeland Trophy)
2. Nick Maxwell, 48 votes (RT Rush Trophy)
3. Heath Shaw, 43 votes (JJ Joyce Trophy)
4. Heritier O’Brien, 43 votes (JF McHale Trophy)
5. Alan Didak, 41 votes (Jack Regan Trophy)
6. Scott Pendlebury, 41 votes
7. Tarkyn Lockyer, 39 votes - TOO OLD/SLOW
8. Leon Davis, 38 votes - TOO OLD
9. Simon Prestigiacomo, 37 votes - TOO OLD
10. Shane O’Bree, 36 votes - TOO OLD

I would love to have any of their top 6 traded to the saints, but it aint gonna happen. If they trade their first pick (#14) that leaves them little to trade to us.

We have little bargaining power. I think their 2nd round pick (30) and a player is do-able. Ideally a young kid.

On another ruckman - Saintjake - we do not have a stock of ruckman - we have 2 good rucks in King and Gardiner who are near the end of their career's and have a history of injury problems. Stanley would struggle at AFL level. I think having another ruck on our list (Wood) would be great.

Medhurst is turning 28 soon - too old for me - he wouldn't want to leave anyway, would have a high $$$ contract and is 179cm tall - isn't the solution to our 3rd (marking) forward problems - thus thats why I say go after Rusling...

Yeah I know what you're saying, but I'd rather see him in the PSD, and go for nothing than get screwed over by the Scum. Maybe not a great business decision, but I dont care. As mentioned earlier, the Malthouse era has produced no fair play in the trading period, hence they have had very little sucess with it, and I hope it stays that way.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
jimbob wrote:IS EVERYONE FORGETTING ITS UP TO SAINTS ON WHO THEY TRADE WITH, AND IF NO TRADE IS MADE HE WILL SIGN ON OR GO INTO PSD AND ANYONE COULD PICK HIM UP, WE WILL DO WELL OUT OF THIS!
We can only deal with the Clubs who are interested in him....and if no trade is made then he either stays and we have a bloke on our list who doesnt want to be there. or he goes into the PSD and we get nothing for him
Ergo, Ball's manager could be squeezing for a better deal???

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Gutted, have an enormous amount of respect for Luke Ball as do the players from what I can understand. I'm a little like the Fireman, I hope and trust he wasn't the binding keeeping this group together.

I believe in Ross and trust his judgement and ability to identify who has what's needed to take us that step further. This is not the end, this is only the beginning. We've lost others, Lockett, Hall, Everitt, the Wakelins etc etc and we've only got stronger...this will continue, I have no doubt.

backit
Club Player

It is an unfortunate situation that has arisen with Luke Ball, but if he doesn't want to be with us then move him on. I have always admired his tenacity and to get himself where he has got to but at the end of the day he has been overpaid for the last three years and hasn't been in the form he had since 2006 when he signed his HUGE contract.

It has to be about game time and money as the pies would have promised more of both which is not what he is going to get with us. He knew what the club thinks he is worth, he and the pies obviously think he is worth more.

If he leaves then he will be an ex St Kilda player, yes he was a previous captain, B&F winner etc but once he walks out the door to another club he will be a former player just like all the other ones. Maybe if he had the passion for the club like so many old players who lost money playing for the club and never experienced the cusp of success that this group has in front of it then he wouldn't be asking to leave.

I say goodbye Luke Ball, harsh but true.

saintjake
Club Player

AN_Inkling

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:38 pm
Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quite possible a straight up deal for Fraser would do it. Assuming the unlikely circumstance we are willing to trade him (would only be a mutual thing, can't see us pushing him out). The Saints do need a ruck, and another forward option, and Fraser's quite possibly the most skilled player in the game over 200cm. Has a nice symmetry about it, two high pick players crueled by injury.

If we want him, which I'd say we do, it's almost certain he will get to us. Highly respected at the Saints and they would want to do the right thing by him, even if he is leaving.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

flyingwhale18
Club Player

shatterd.
has been my favourite player since Burkey left, 14 plasterd on my back like a medal. i wore it with pride.
will HATE to see him playing for collingwood. we were so close and now hes gonna leave it behind, honestly dont see the pies making a granny anytime soon, but i see us coming close (if not all the way) in the next few years.
dark day for this poster

luke ball, you will be missed.

team: oh when the saints!
milne: oh when the saints...
team: go marching in!
milne: GO MARCHING IN!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

disappointed to hear this. he should have agreed to stay for less money,

if he was honest with himself he see that he is not worthy of being one of the top 20 paid players in the league (if that often quoted figure is correct) .

good player? yes. top 20? no.

collingwood is unlikely to offer us anything worthwhile player-wise, so i hope we play hard ball and have our best negotiators on the job to make sure we get something adequete in return.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 05 Oct 2009 9:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

sendmehomehappy wrote: If you are no longer a Saint...you no longer count
Quote of the day!

Stuff him, I say. Mercenary with an overinflated sense of his worth.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Sainter
Club Player

I have my doubts that he would enter the pre-season draft if a deal can't be done - so hopefully a deal can't be done. I don't understand how he can want to leave and not stay and try and fix things next year. I hope he has stopped and thought about how he will feel next year if his friends play in a premiership and he doesn't.

I also think it is not good for the club to split up this group that has come through together.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

f****** sad day for the club.

Sad day indeed.

Best of luck Luke. Thanks for the effort.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

DAAAAAMNN disappointed but wants an over inflated salary and he is not worth it... if we get Fraser I will lose the plot.... I really will he is one of the biggest duds in the AFL....

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Pies players to say yes to:

Jack Anthony - doesnt work as a full-forward for Pies, could be great as a 3rd tall

Dayne Beams - Like Ball, but younger and better at breaking the lines. Plus he kicks goals.

Alan Didak - No chance, but it'd be nice

Scott Pendleburry - No chance, but it'd be nice

Harry O'Brian - a great small defender with penetrating kick and good run

Heath Shaw - No chance, but it'd be nice

Steele Sidebottom - Slow, but loves to tackle, good disposal and gets the ball from under packs at will

Dane Swan - No chance, but it'd be nice

And besides that, the Collingwood list looks pretty bare... most are just GOP or younger players yet to prove themselves...

Whilst he has ditched the club now, hopefully he can at least leave gallantly, helping the club get a good deal for him. NO PSD, PLEASE!!
Last edited by thirty-seven!? on Mon 05 Oct 2009 9:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

savatage
SS Life Member

By the wall, if he wants to go to Collingwood - you do realise that we don't have to accept a player from Collingwood - there are mega complicated 3, 4, 5, 6, 19 player deals that can be done if we want a player from another club & Collingwood can satisfy THAT club - so don't worry about accepting a HACK for Luke Ball.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

In terms of trades, I agree the Pies have nothing worth trading for that they'd actually give. Wood is a hack, I would rather Stanley and McGrath be given a go, both would show more grunt.

Beams or Sidebottom (swapping our places in the first draft round) can come across or even Brad Dick plus their 2nd rounder. Personally think they will need to broker a 3 way deal, giving us a chance of picking up Burgoyne or Kerr along with our Pick 16.

savatage
SS Life Member

mightysainters wrote:DAAAAAMNN disappointed but wants an over inflated salary and he is not worth it... if we get Fraser I will lose the plot.... I really will he is one of the biggest duds in the AFL....
Yes he is & that will NEVER happen.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

thinline wrote:

Agreed.

I cant believe The Scum would be paying him $600k.

What is he worth ?

$400-450k ?

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

If he has left for more money good riddance... but there could be more to it...

For all we know RL might have informed him that next season Armo/ Steven/ Geary will be taking his place... if that were the case I would understand his decision...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Young Georgie
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Teflon wrote:If the club took Leon frking Davis Id be ropable.

On top of the Nathan Brown speculation we are fast turning into the land of soft c**k gumbies.

Ah well.....someone had better step up big time cause its now official- we have 1 true, bona fide in and under mid in Lenny Hayes......and we all saw what happened when he was stopped....
tef dont stress remember last year all the talk about Nathan Carrol ect ect Ross knows what is going to work and what isnt in the end Ross said that anyone no matter who they are if they were not prepared to do what was asked of them for the team then he will gladly move them on ... luke obviously didnt want to do what the team wanted him too so he go's ...
as for Lenny being the only inside midfeilder we have well heres your chance Armo,Geary,Eddy ...
Fair point Trav.

I guess Ros has found his first one who "doesnt want to play the st kilda way" so be it.

Id be staggered if Luke didnt also take the better coin here.....this club stuck by him through a lot of injury and lets face facts - he didnt live up to the hype draft pick that Judd/Hodge have and yet we still pai him handsomely.

Fair enough for him to get what he can......but at a time of losing a flag when the coach puts you back in the side for finals (showing faith for fairly average VFL form)....this is how you repay him?

I dont buy the game time thing - IF Luke had the fortitude hed have proven in 2010 that hes worth the additional game time just as he did in the GF. Now was the time to stick fat.

IF Collingwood cant provide a decent deal - who cares where Luke wants to go....it MUST be whats best for this club as its ALWAYS bigger than the individual paycheck.
Just discovered Bally's wanting out and am very disappointed. He's been a great servant to the club and we've all admired how he's courageously flown the flag against all odds time and again. A great clubman always doing his best for St Kilda.

Obviously there's plenty of speculation as to why he's leaving but as Teflon points out 'now is the time to stick fat' and even if he receives a less healthy contract he'll hardly be down and out on Struggle Street. With improved performance and game time Luke could be setting himself up with the mates he made a pact with to achieve the ultimate success. Plenty it seems have sacrificed a dollar ala Cats and Lions to stick together.

And the Pies... After the agony of the GF this is seriously depressing.

Hopefully a blessing in disguise :evil:

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!
savatage
SS Life Member

Stephen Theodore wrote:thinline wrote:

Agreed.

I cant believe The Scum would be paying him $600k.

What is he worth ?

$400-450k ?
I'd probaby say the mid 200 mark personally.