Roo Bags Seaford

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Re: Roo Bags Seaford

Eastern wrote:
Scollop wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:Non-issue. Employees travel to the office supplied by the employer. It's the nature of the employer/employee relationship.

The bigger issue is where we actually play our games, not where the employees have to travel to the office. Think club not individual.
+1

ALL our leaders need to take the captain to task for his selfishness and lack of leadership regarding the comments about the clubs training base. It is where you are employed!! Get on with it or choose another career and stay out 'til 3 am every night picking up chicks and taking them back into your inner city apartment...which is close to where you want to go to dinner/meet your mates for coffee/train as a professional sportsman and earn a very good living.

I cannot recall ANY individual player from ANY AFL club or VFL club or any state league or national league in ANY sport complain or make negative comments about their home training base - let alone the captain of a team
I've got a feeling that this will be very high on the agenda at their next "Leading Teams" Meeting !!
Leading Teams will identify it as a legitimate problem that needs to be addressed by the Club.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:maybe it's just me, but I think I would prefer the players not to be too consumed by the boozy, sleazing on to all the chicks, and gambling lifestyle that many are advocating on this site. Isn't the proximity to all this cr@p the reason why we are struggling for sponsorship and membership now? Is it too much to expect people earning an almighty salary with excellent fringe benefits to contain themselves a bit? The rock n roll lifestyle is really pretentious and I for one want the club to let premierships do the talking for once.
How disciplined were you when you were 19? Or 25 for that matter? I sure as hell wasn't earning as much as them, but I made the most of a certain "lifestyle" for a lot of years of my youth. Not sure how you can justify telling these kids they can't have that.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:maybe it's just me, but I think I would prefer the players not to be too consumed by the boozy, sleazing on to all the chicks, and gambling lifestyle that many are advocating on this site. Isn't the proximity to all this cr@p the reason why we are struggling for sponsorship and membership now? Is it too much to expect people earning an almighty salary with excellent fringe benefits to contain themselves a bit? The rock n roll lifestyle is really pretentious and I for one want the club to let premierships do the talking for once.
How disciplined were you when you were 19? Or 25 for that matter? I sure as hell wasn't earning as much as them, but I made the most of a certain "lifestyle" for a lot of years of my youth. Not sure how you can justify telling these kids they can't have that.

So everyone living in Melbourne is young and living a rock star lifestyle?

Where is this myth coming from....? Seaford lovers.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

There are 9 clubs in Victoria and we have the worst reputation re drugs/women/stupidity of all those clubs.

Can't just blame it on bored kids with too much money. Blame our club and how it has been run. End of story

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Eastern wrote:
Scollop wrote: +1

ALL our leaders need to take the captain to task for his selfishness and lack of leadership regarding the comments about the clubs training base. It is where you are employed!! Get on with it or choose another career and stay out 'til 3 am every night picking up chicks and taking them back into your inner city apartment...which is close to where you want to go to dinner/meet your mates for coffee/train as a professional sportsman and earn a very good living.

I cannot recall ANY individual player from ANY AFL club or VFL club or any state league or national league in ANY sport complain or make negative comments about their home training base - let alone the captain of a team
I've got a feeling that this will be very high on the agenda at their next "Leading Teams" Meeting !!
Leading Teams will identify it as a legitimate problem that needs to be addressed by the Club.

After obviously having a go at me with your first post but to gutless to mention my name can you give me some common sense reasons why traing at Seaford is an issue for players, supporters and sponsors. I havent heard any common sense reason why where you train even matters. I would say 85% of players now live as close to Seaford as Moorabbin and nearly 100% will within 3 years so that has the players covered. No one hardly is allowed to watch training these days so that has supporters covered and I havent heard any logical reason why a sponsor would even slightly care where someone trains. Look forward to some answers that are based on common sense.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The Tigers and Pies do it all in plain view maybe secrecy and hiding is actually not the best policy when you want to promote the club.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:The Tigers and Pies do it all in plain view maybe secrecy and hiding is actually not the best policy when you want to promote the club.

Yep and what has that to do with training at Moorabbin. No one watches teams train anymore, open or not. And 100 watching training is basically no one. Thats all most clubs get these days baring when they make a song and dance about open training sessions. Even then there is bugger all.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I will take the report with a grain of salt as people can be taken out of context easily however, I think it's pretty unprofessional for a captain to air this dirty laundry on this issue in public… If we are trying to "own" the peninsula, then shitcanning our own base in Seaford is just idiotic.

Sure, complain to the board, complain to the president, help make changes if you think it will help the club, but moaning about a 30 minute drive to work, from a guy who has earnt millions of dollars for kicking a football doesn't get a lot of sympathy from me.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:What an absolute load of crap Bergholt, which Collingwood player is getting paid below their market value?
Are Goddard and Dal Santo being paid less at Essendon and North then they were with us?
No idea, but BJ and Dal aren't the demographic I was talking about. What I do know is that when Taylor Adams was coming to Melbourne, we were never considered a serious contender for his services. None of us know why that is but obviously the Pies have more pulling power than us. Same applies to Dom Tyson and Josh Caddy - but in that case it was Melbourne and Geelong coming in well ahead of us.

Probably this is just because we're not winning games so the best kids don't want to come here. Let's hope that's the case, because there'll be more promising Suns and Giants coming home over the next few years.
Pretty sure Caddy would have come to us if we'd had the best offer… Geelong had the best trade, same goes for Adams & Tyson, both were landed with bigger picks than we would offer, it's that simple.

What about Delaney, Bruce, Longer, Savage, Roberton? They were all sought by multiple clubs as far as I am aware.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Longer was... The other guys, come on

None were close to regular seniors?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Cry me a fkn river....

We are talking commuting to work, against the traffic... Do we employ a bunch of spoilt idiots who can't handle any sort of hardship... If you can call it that.

And some of the comments on here are simply ridiculous?

One bloke mentioned a young guy wanting to pick up... And needs to be in the city to do so? Are city chicks better looking? I've been out in Mornington, Portsea, Beamaris and other bayside suburbs and seen many young girls... Who are georgeous... They are human, the same as the ones 30km away in the city?

Seen Armo, Gram, Sam Fisher and other Saints out Bayside .... Gehrig owns a restaurant in Chelsea....

Obsession with coolness relating to postcode is held by wankers

Sobraz
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote: Obsession with coolness relating to postcode is held by wankers
...Wankers that live in sh!tty suburbs... :lol: 8-)

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:There are 9 clubs in Victoria and we have the worst reputation re drugs/women/stupidity of all those clubs.

Can't just blame it on bored kids with too much money. Blame our club and how it has been run. End of story

What the hell does that mean?

How many incidents are we talking about? What a big load of crap.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I will take the report with a grain of salt as people can be taken out of context easily however, I think it's pretty unprofessional for a captain to air this dirty laundry on this issue in public… If we are trying to "own" the peninsula, then shitcanning our own base in Seaford is just idiotic.

Sure, complain to the board, complain to the president, help make changes if you think it will help the club, but moaning about a 30 minute drive to work, from a guy who has earnt millions of dollars for kicking a football doesn't get a lot of sympathy from me.
Sounds like you have taken the report with a grain of salt dragit.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thomo is right this time....

Captaincy helped make Roo who he is, 9 years is excessive, we know how great he is and that he will lead by example anyway.

What will it do for another? Seems we've been waiting for too long to find out.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
dragit wrote:I will take the report with a grain of salt as people can be taken out of context easily however, I think it's pretty unprofessional for a captain to air this dirty laundry on this issue in public… If we are trying to "own" the peninsula, then shitcanning our own base in Seaford is just idiotic.

Sounds like you have taken the report with a grain of salt dragit.
Yeah I know but... It's pretty dumb.

''I think everyone would acknowledge that Seaford is geographically a little bit challenging at times. But the real challenge is to make any environment one that is enjoyable to be at,''
''Certainly, this pre-season it's been a great place to be. That's the challenge, to make it a great environment that people want to come to, people enjoy working in. That's the case at the moment and we love the opportunity to come back to Moorabbin as well." Riewoldt said.

Driving 25 minutes to work isn't a challenge... It's most peoples daily reality, probably more.

Whatever the case, as the head of the club, I expect better PR nous. Lie if you have to.

"The Seaford facilities are first class, the distance really isn't an issue when you consider the multi million dollar investment the club has made down there."

Geographically challenging - ken spare me.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:One bloke mentioned a young guy wanting to pick up... And needs to be in the city to do so? Are city chicks better looking? I've been out in Mornington, Portsea, Beamaris and other bayside suburbs and seen many young girls... Who are georgeous... They are human, the same as the ones 30km away in the city?
How old are you?

You're making s*** up based on your conception of what kids should do. Try talking to a 19 year old and ask them what they do on a Saturday night. They go into the city just like all their mates.

I hope you all turn out to be right and that Seaford isn't a negative. But it's ridiculous to pretend that a city location isn't more attractive to most kids than a suburban one.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Thomo is right this time....

Captaincy helped make Roo who he is, 9 years is excessive, we know how great he is and that he will lead by example anyway.

Disagree with this...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Thomo is right this time....

You keep on about this K but I think by looking at the leadership group there was actually no other options to Rooy. There was no point in having Lenny or Joey and the other 3 seem at least one two three years away from being captain. Some even wanted jack as captain this year and he couldnt even make the group. That is what can happen when you havent got the right aged players or get rid of some of those right aged players. The club did the right thing. We had no choice to have Rooy as captain.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
bergholt wrote:

So everyone living in Melbourne is young and living a rock star lifestyle?

Where is this myth coming from....? Seaford lovers.
BH - you don't have to work in Moorabbin to have a good social life :roll:

Spinner - what is so difficult about living in Elwood and driving to Seaford a few times a week to go to work? :?:

And I am certianly not a Seaford lover.

I went out a lot well into my thirties and thoroughly enjoyed myself, spent 7 years living overseas, and another year intertstate, so I have been around a bit. I work in the Frankston area though, but don't live in it and neither do a lot of my colleagues. But hey, guess what? After work they go home and go out. I think some of you guys need to leave your insulated cocoons a bit more. Just a thought.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

BTW - one of the reasons Lockett left us in the 90s was that he hated playing at Waverley. Other players at the time said that they felt that the dimensions of the ground would shorten careers. Well, Hawthorn train there and it hasn't stopped them from being very successful. Since the 90s we seem to be living in a culture of complaint and one of the things Thommo and Butterrss got right was taking the players to countries like South Africa and China and showing them how the other half live.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote: I hope you all turn out to be right and that Seaford isn't a negative. But it's ridiculous to pretend that a city location isn't more attractive to most kids than a suburban one.
I'm not claiming that Seaford isn't a negative, just suggesting that maybe the captain of the club shouldn't be publicly bagging the place on the eve of the season... If anything he will just make a bad situation worse. Young players looking up to him will think about it more, the Frankston locals will be thinking "get f***ed nick you soft c**k"

The main players seaford would be an issue for are the older ones who were used to Moorabin, people don't like change.

As far as recruiting new guys is concerned, I reckon the training location is pretty low on the priority list

# 1 opportunity to play regular senior football
# 2 $
# 3 potential team success
Maybe training location next.

Some players want to return to their home state, but I reckon the training location seems to matter little.

After all this though, the club with the best offer lands the player 9 times out of 10. Hickey, Lee, Longer, Savage, Bruce & Delaney all came to us for opportunity, money & we offered the best trades.

At any rate, the club seems to be working towards a relocation closer to town down the track... Public mornings from tissues in the meantime about "geographically challenging" do nothing to help any problems with Seaford.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:There are 9 clubs in Victoria and we have the worst reputation re drugs/women/stupidity of all those clubs.

Surely you're taking the piss.

I don't have a hour to list them all.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

Surely you're taking the piss.

I don't have a hour to list them all.
Media cycle reality

spert
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin is more rock-star than you think. Down in the drab industrial part of Moorabbin, tucked in between factories and warehouses, there's Lucky 13 Garage- great little retro music venue, Two Brothers Breweries- top place for a relaxing beer or ten, and had a guy playing some nice acoustic stuff one Friday night we were there, and around the corner is Sound Rehearsal Studios which also has the Chandelier Room venue with live roots music on Sat nights, a few blocks away is Jam Tin rehearsal studios- lots of well known bands have passed through there over the years, and there's a pretty upmarket recording studio hiding amongst the factories down there too(name escapes me). Seaford in contrast does boast an excellent freeway right beside(practically on top of) the Sainters training facility!