To every one that craps on about Lyon...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: To every one that craps on about Lyon...

SaintPav wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:
or am I being rude? Sorry in advance if I am.

Idiot, but you knew that.. :lol:
Imbecile.
Douche bag

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:You've lost me spinner?

Just pointing out Ross flew in to a pretty decent list, for a second time.

Did he? Where were these list experts two years ago?

This is Fremantle. 19 years in the making. Toughest job in AFL.

And in regards to him leaving - there's no clause in his Freo contact, you can bank on that. We stuffed it.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Nettlefold had a year to get Ross's extension done, if you snooze you lose.

How you could let a grandfinal coach walk out uncontracted, with a ridiculous clause in his contract is just that... Ridiculous!

It looks like the most inept decision made in the history of the club (followed by Seaford) right ATM?
I tend to agree but we don't know the inside story. The Seaford move was a disgrace

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Maybe we could have kept him. Maybe he was going regardless.

Who knows?

But there is another unknown that is rarely discussed/debated. And that is, just what would the Saints team look like, and how would it have performed in 2012, 2013 & beyond had Ross stayed?

It's easy to look at Freo heading to the G next Saturday and cursing we didnt do more to keep Lyon. But if he'd stayed we'd still have been coming off a disappointing 2011 and been faced with an ageing list and a lack of developing young talent.

Let's not think for one minute it would've been us playing off next week.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

And in regards to him leaving - there's no clause in his Freo contact, you can bank on that. We stuffed it.
I can bump a thread if you like...

It's a good list.

How come you rate his intelligence so highly as a coach, yet you're dismissive that he wouldn't so intelligent off field?

Clinical, on and off field.

Best for him he left, not often he doesn't have a good read of the play.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Spinner wrote:

I can bump a thread if you like...

It's a good list.

How come you rate his intelligence so highly as a coach, yet you're dismissive that he wouldn't so intelligent off field?

Clinical, on and off field.

Best for him he left, not often he doesn't have a good read of the play.

You're dreaming if you predicted Freo would be playing in a GF within 2 years.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

What about my other question?

Why do rate his intelligence so highly, but as a self confessed career coach, you reckon saints fluffed it and he was a chance to stay?

Either he's clever, or he isn't.

His win loss record would be hit, and hard.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:What about my other question?

Why do rate his intelligence so highly, but as a self confessed career coach, you reckon saints fluffed it and he was a chance to stay?

What does this even mean? This seems to have three or four twists of thoughts and I don't even know if I'm interpreting correctly.

Anyways... I've swallowed my bitterness and anger with him leaving. I still however acknowledge brilliance - much unlike many st kilda supporters that can't get over it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Gave him a new contact offer in May 2011 for 4 years - Yes, he'd have signed

How do you manage to knock RL and then knock the saints in the same thread? Well donr BM. Better than most on here. By the way RL is the best coach in the AFL but he also went from our club whan he should have IMO but we all think differently.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dear f*ckheads
R Lyon is a very good coach
The current Freo list is 8/10 with or without RL. He has turned it into 9/10
The Saints list was 7/10. He turned it into 9/10.
The current Saints list is 4/10. SW turned it into 4/10.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

What does this even mean? This seems to have three or four twists of thoughts and I don't even know if I'm interpreting correctly.

Anyways... I've swallowed my bitterness and anger with him leaving. I still however acknowledge brilliance - much unlike many st kilda supporters that can't get over it.
You reckon the saints fluffed keeping him.

Think he was too smart to stay.

Career coach.

He's value would of taken a big hit past two years.

It's not that complicated.

I'm not bitter, just get annoyed when saints fans think he was any chance to stay.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Spinner wrote:

You reckon the saints fluffed keeping him.

Think he was too smart to stay.

Career coach.

He's value would of taken a big hit past two years.

It's not that complicated.

I'm not bitter, just get annoyed when saints fans think he was any chance to stay.

Well he was if they were smart enough to sign him well before his contract ended. I actually dont mind that he left. Think it may pay dividends for us in the long run but I find it strange that we look like extending out current coaches contract a year before it is over when we are relly struggling but didnt do the same when we were a top 8 side. Anyway who really cares. he is gone and we hapefully have another very good coach but please why friggin extended his contract now.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I'm not bitter, just get annoyed when saints fans think he was any chance to stay.
I'm not sure why you profess to know anything about this?

The guy wanted some security, we were only essentially offering him rolling single year deals.. so he didn't sign. If we had given him an unconditional 3 - 4 year deal after our second GF year, he'd have signed it... No doubt in the world.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I'm not buying into the adulation with coaches
RL was failing at St Kilda (we were declining year on year under his coaching) and so we were not in a hurry to re-sign him.

Tony Jewel won a premiership with a strong team at Richmond and then was a coaching failure at St Kilda.

Teams make coaches - not the other way... and Freo has the best list at the moment (anyone could coach them to a premiership).
Last edited by samoht on Sun 22 Sep 2013 10:48am, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:I'm not buying into the adulation with coaches
RL was failing at St Kilda (we were declining year on year under his coaching) and so we were not in a hurry to re-sign him.

Tony Jewel won a premiership with a strong team at Richmond, and then was a coaching failure at St Kilda.

Teams make coaches - not the other way... and Freo has the best list at the moment.

You honestly thought Freo had the best list at the start of the year? Im doubting that and IMO they still dont have the best list but they do have the best game plan and by a fair way. Will it be enough to get over the hawks much better list well only time will tell. Im unsure all coaches are pretty much the same though. i good coach will not make a side like our win a flag but a good coach could make a side like Freo who would be about the fourth best side on paper win a flag. The Saints list was clearly better in 2005 than 2009 but one got to a GF and the other failed to get there.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Yes!

Do you honestly think RL was not failing at St kilda (if you believe coaches make a difference)?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Yes!

Do you honestly think RL was not failing at St kilda (if you believe coaches make a difference)?

Well you would be one of very few that thought at the start of the season freo had the best list. Hope you backed the fifth favourites for the flag back then. Was RL failing at the saints? Well if it is based only on premierships then he failed like every single coach we have ever had and even jeans because he lost many flags at the Saints. If it based on getting the best out of your current list then he didnt fail at all because that list had no right to be that good.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

He wasn't getting the best at of our list .. SW matched him in his first year as a coach without Dawson and with significant injuries to Gwilt and Fisher,i.e., a weakened and unsettled backline. We also lost a few very close games under SW and could have easily won 15 games.
So no - RL was not getting the best out of our list!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:He wasn't getting the best at of our list .. SW matched him in his first year as a coach without Dawson and with significant injuries to Gwilt and Fisher,i.e., a weakened and unsettled backline. We also lost a few very close games under SW and could have easily won 15 games.

Well he is a better coach then in your opinion. Mine is that RL is the best coach in the AFL win lose or draw on Saturday. I would expect we will lose SW to another club if we dont keep reappointing him.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Freo should win despite the coach. They have the strongest list.
Hawks have a handful of very average players - and some of their key players are injured or not quite right.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Freo should win despite the coach. They have the strongest list.
Hawks have a handful of very average players - and some of their key players are injured or not quite right.

So you are saying the coach of Freo could be an issue but luckily they have the strongest list. Can I suggest that you would one of the very few that is saying that but you are entilted to believe what you like. All i know is a saw a side last night play the hardest first half of footy I have nearly ever seen in a game. Must be just about the players though. Dont even know why we have coaches. My local club could save plenty of money next season. I will just get my mum to come down and coach them.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

I'm saying coaches are virtually not an issue at all ... and I remind you again of Tony Jewel (a premiership coach at the tigers then a failure with us).
It's the list that determines the fate of the team - AFL coaches more or less negate each other (every team has one).
RL was failing with us before he left us (if you think that coaches really matter). You can't have it both ways.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Freo had one of the most promising lists going around in 2011 and unfortunately they were cruelled by injury that year. Freo have an awesome list and are coached by a very good coach that is well suited to the list, it's why I picked them to win the flag at the start of this season. But until RL wins a flag Clarko will remain the better coach because he has a flag.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:I'm saying coaches are virtually not an issue at all ... and I remind you again of Tony Jewel (a premiership coach at the tigers then a failure with us).
It's the list that determines the fate of the team - AFL coaches more or less negate each other (every team has one).
RL was failing with us before he left us (if you think that coaches really matter). You can't have it both ways.
Q - How many Fremantle fans do you think still wish Harvey was coaching?

A - Zero

If you think coaches don't make much difference you clearly have no idea about footy.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Freo had one of the most promising lists going around in 2011 and unfortunately they were cruelled by injury that year. Freo have an awesome list and are coached by a very good coach that is well suited to the list, it's why I picked them to win the flag at the start of this season. But until RL wins a flag Clarko will remain the better coach because he has a flag.

So Chris Scott is a better coach as well and it was his first year. He must have gone backwards after that as a coach because they havent won since. its far to simple to base everything on winning a flag.