Rhys on the table

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lefty
Club Player

Re: Rhys on the table

lol at this entire forum, every loss its lets trade x, y, z and if we win its how good is x, y, z.

The only dead set for retirement is Blake, I'll leave the rest to the end of the season.

If you compare Stanley '12 to '13, theres a big difference. Helps when the team is winning.

resaintlee
Club Player

[quote="Con Gorozidis"]Everyone thought Rhys would be the next roo and siposs the next bj.

The first is more likey than the second

They are like the Australian cricket team under Boof. The overall planning is there,or not, but players are missing the individual daily coaching needed. This appears to be happening to some of our boys at the moment as several seem lost in the mix of things.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Interesting hearing them talk about Westhoff who like Rhys frustrated the fans for a few years. His coach is now saying how he's the catalyst in the team winning. He is the same big athletic type as Rhys and worth watching to see why we want to develop him.

Greg T
Club Player

gringo wrote:Interesting hearing them talk about Westhoff who like Rhys frustrated the fans for a few years. His coach is now saying how he's the catalyst in the team winning. He is the same big athletic type as Rhys and worth watching to see why we want to develop him.
True took a change of coach to get him going

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Rhys has been played out of position all year (he's clearly not a backman) just because he's tall.
This has damaged his confidence and his own game has been sacrificed for the team.
Hopefully next year he'll be able to play as a tall forward and occasional centre bounce ruckman, and once he takes a mark and kicks a goal maybe find some confidence.

If after a year of playing as a forward he's no good and shows no improvement then I'd consider trading him - not before.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote:
gringo wrote:Interesting hearing them talk about Westhoff who like Rhys frustrated the fans for a few years. His coach is now saying how he's the catalyst in the team winning. He is the same big athletic type as Rhys and worth watching to see why we want to develop him.
True took a change of coach to get him going
No it didn't. Westhoff finally realised that he needed to bulk up. Have a look at the Hoff's frame atm compared to a few years ago.

Rhys has some bulk too atm but I don't think Rhys is as natural a footballer as Westhoff. I think Rhys can't be used at both ends of the ground where as Hoff is probably comfortable as a defender.

Right now we may not have any option but to play him as a key defender due to our lack of tall backmen and injuries. If we get a KP defender next year I reckon Rhys will need to find a new role. I'd like to see him get an opportunity as a CHF and he will probably benefit from some time at Sandy to help develop his game in that role. The other situation which may open a spot for him is if Rooy needs a spell