Stanley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Stanley

He has had about 30 interrupted games and never been given a permanent role to grow into. I think he was looking good last year when he was rucking but his body just kept packing it in. He needs some continuity but there is no way we should look at trading him. The development coaches should sit him down with tapes of Kurt Tippett and get him to follow his lead- perfect model to base a career around.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

The biggest concern for me is his apparent lack of interest, he doesn't look very hungry at the moment.

He is only 22 though and still well under 50 games… the positive this year is that he has been able to keep his body from breaking down, playing 15 straight is a great effort considering the problems he has had in the past.

Let's not write him off yet, all of our young guys will have problems with consistency & as soon as we think we have a player, they put in a shocker… Siposs, Newnes, Ross, Wright, Hickey all the same. Even the hyphen, last week everyone was saying how great he was… 2 hours of footy later, he's not an AFL player.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

he does not lack interest
trust me on that

he lacks friggin confidence, and so would i playing in a position he has had bugger all experience at on blokes bigger than him

WING!!!
RUN RUN RUN

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:he does not lack interest
trust me on that

he lacks friggin confidence, and so would i playing in a position he has had bugger all experience at on blokes bigger than him

WING!!!
RUN RUN RUN

To slow to play on the wing and certainly not good enough below his knees. A wingman is a mid and also needs to be pretty good in traffic. He maybe fast over a hundred but agilty and quickness to the ball arent his best skill.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
matrix wrote:he does not lack interest
trust me on that

WING!!!
RUN RUN RUN

To slow to play on the wing and certainly not good enough below his knees. A wingman is a mid and also needs to be pretty good in traffic. He maybe fast over a hundred but agilty and quickness to the ball arent his best skill.

I think he's talking about the later career Richo type forward role which is more a starting position with a licence to run with a lesser defender on you- draws the defender out wide and clears space for Rooey or Lee to work in while creating head aches for the opposition coaches. He would still be a lead up forward type.

The athletic ruck/forwards are often the hardest to use well. Kruezer, Josh Fraser etc all have had trouble getting the best out of their careers because they don't hold up getting smashed in the ruck and are often not brilliant forwards- hopefully Stanley is managed to get the absolute maximum impact.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

lol
at too slow to play on the wing and too slow to the ball

he must have no pace what so ever

back to ignoring your baiting posts plugger

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:lol
at too slow to play on the wing and too slow to the ball

he must have no pace what so ever

back to ignoring your baiting posts plugger

Not baiting at all. Explaining to you that just because you are fast over 100 metres doesnt make you a wingman. footy maybe that simple in your local comp but it ain in the AFL. He hasnt got the right skills to be a wingman or dont you think his 4 or 5 coaches he has had in the AFL and VFL would have done it. Maybe they understand what is required to play there and maybe you dont. If im baiting it seems our coaches are as well.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

His top speed is bloody quick but his first 20 aint that quick compared to the little nimble or nuggety guys.
And most footy is played within the 10-20m sprints. Its really only a few times a game he gets to utilise his top speed.
I still reckon hes a ruckman or nothing. Kurt Tippet had already had one dominant year at Full Fwd at this age.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:His top speed is bloody quick but his first 20 aint that quick compared to the little nimble or nuggety guys.
And most footy is played within the 10-20m sprints. Its really only a few times a game he gets to utilise his top speed.
I still reckon hes a ruckman or nothing. Kurt Tippet had already had one dominant year at Full Fwd at this age.

He's not too bad from a standing start is my impression. He wouldn't be much of a sprinter if he couldn't take off quickly. Kurt Tippett was all Adelaide had so by the time he was Stanley's age he'd already played in just about every game he was fit for. He was left down there despite having very little impact. I have said before I watched Tex and Tippex play against us and he made Zac Dawson look like a champion in comparison. He was left to play into the position and they finally got rewards for it. i think if we stuck Stanley in a forqward post and played him he could do the same.

70s sainter
Club Player

I dont want to see him played down back ever again if possible in any way. His confidence is completely shot down back and he was humiliated and pretty much cost us the game. For his sake and the teams we need to find another answer for the rest of this year. .....................ideas anyone?
Just a complete joke list wise really.

Greg T
Club Player

70s sainter wrote:I dont want to see him played down back ever again if possible in any way. His confidence is completely shot down back and he was humiliated and pretty much cost us the game. For his sake and the teams we need to find another answer for the rest of this year. .....................ideas anyone?
Just a complete joke list wise really.
That's for sure....no more Rhys experiments down back.
Looked heaps better when switched to offence.
Blake if he was fit....
Zac s left a fair hole down there ....

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
lefty
Club Player

Play him forward and in the ruck.
He's a confidence type player, at least letting him roam around the field might give him some freedom.
Definitely not a backman, should be a forward/ruck. Hasn't played like his 2012 form :(

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

5 pages already?
I don't think he's soft, just hasn't learnt to use his body yet! His opponents seem to hold him off easily, you can see his frustration when they outmark him!
Needs someone to teach him. Experienced professional coach. That's what they're paid for!

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
St Igmata
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Having said all that I reckon Stanley will end up a better ruckman than Macca - but it seems there is a real resistence to letting Macca go and hes part of the Saints furniture now. So I wont even bother going there.

Stanley looks the most likely to get us a another high pick.

3 picks under under 30 this year and if Elshaugh gets them all right - we are back in business!

Add to that Tommy Lee, Spencer White and Daniel Markworth running around and we might look dangerous in a few years.
3 picks wont get the side back in business.
In the next year or two
Hayes
Milne
Riewoldt
Kosi
Fisher

Will be gone and Montagna and Dal will be 31/32
Whilst they might not all be playing they have played and retirement eats further into the list.
Also not everybody you think will make it, will make it!

Andreous
Club Player

Maybe its time for him to go back to the twos and gain a bit of confidence. Play him in the a role that they want him for in 2014. A player like Stanley hasn't got the experience and confidence to patch holes. he just starts to feel like he fails in every position on the ground.

He had had a lot of games this year, take pressure off the lad and get him focussed on his role for 2014.

Have we got too much forward talent/potential and not enough mid and back talent.
I would be happy if there are no forwards drafted this year. Lets get a Mitch Brown and some other strong backs in. Some mids with good disposal skills.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Stanley - 8 supercoach points = PATHETIC. f*** him off now!!!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Stanley may or may not have a future.
Milne & TDL were just as bad and pretty sure neither has a future.
At least Saad lays a few tackles!
TDL to Sandy, Milne- retire now.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

He starts poorly but almost works in to the game by the end. Maybe his preperation is bad?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Terry Walalce ( I know!!) made a good point tonight. Stanley been played back, then forward, then back, then forward again, tonight a run with role...he's confused....needs time to settle and learn the craft.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What Stanley doesn't need is excuses.... What he does need is to accept body contact

He's timid

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:Terry Walalce ( I know!!) made a good point tonight. Stanley been played back, then forward, then back, then forward again, tonight a run with role...he's confused....needs time to settle and learn the craft.
That's cause he's never looked comfortable anywhere.

He's had time, the settle is overdue.

I just don't think he believes in himself, which is kind of sad.

I'll get flamed, but he'd be worth floating for trade while he still has this perceived 'potential'

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
fingers wrote:Terry Walalce ( I know!!) made a good point tonight. Stanley been played back, then forward, then back, then forward again, tonight a run with role...he's confused....needs time to settle and learn the craft.
That's cause he's never looked comfortable anywhere.

He's had time, the settle is overdue.

I just don't think he believes in himself, which is kind of sad.

I'll get flamed, but he'd be worth floating for trade while he still has this perceived 'potential'
Good post, trouble is , right now he has no currency, it's all based on what he might be, not what he IS, he's not worth anything of value right now...

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

He's a ruck or nothing.
So trade him or play him in the ruck.
Right now the club want Macca in the ruck.
So make a decision and stick to it .

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hicky looks clumsy, and always buggered... Pushed off the ball, he's got NO size at all.... What's Hickeys attribute... Can he play footy, or is he on an AFL list because he's 6'7"

Ben Mac can play footy

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Stanley looks much better as a forward

he runs to the right spots, gets his hands on the ball and helps our structure

it's been a big season for him in that he's been consistently on the park and run out games. That's a positive he'll benefit from.

As some have pointed out, he needs to have more presence about him and use his size/weight more... clunk down a few marks