Possible trade

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Possible trade

plugger66 wrote:

Con and how many players do you want to draft for this year? You dont have to play older players. Kosi and Blake prove that. A pick in the 40's for Fisher shows we arent a footy club who stands by our players. get old and we get rid of you. Sends a great message to the younger guys and will really excite the older players. If we traded Fisher for a mid 40's pick when he didnt want to go then i would be disgusted with the club. You wants us to play every game like the tigers game last week then do the trade and watch the club get 25k members in 2 years time.
well as you say we probably only want to draft 4 or 5 - so im trying to get 4 or 5 picks as high as we can get them.

imho - its a balance between - get old and we get rid of you (noone wants that) - and saints - what a lovely place to wind down your career and get paid good coin - heck we dont care where we finish (none wants that either)

as you know p66 - we were a retirement village and dumping ground for 'ageing stars' in the 80s. i dont want to be that side. we cant just keep on every guy who was good 5 years ago because they want to play on. these days - with the money - everyone wants to play on. yes we should be loyal to our players - but surely that has limits and is balanced by our list requirements?

as i recall it stevie baker was peed off when he was 'retired' - this was handled poorly but i think the club was right to retire him. do you think that sent a bad message to young players or would you have preferred steve played for as long as he felt like it?
You cant let the players tail wag the dog.

e.g Chad Cornes went to GWS and I dont think the young Port players are losing much sleep over that right now.

p.s speaking of ageing stars - i pulled up alongside jim krakouer at the lights 2 days ago - I gave him the 'thumbs up' and he gave me one back!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Con and how many players do you want to draft for this year? You dont have to play older players. Kosi and Blake prove that. A pick in the 40's for Fisher shows we arent a footy club who stands by our players. get old and we get rid of you. Sends a great message to the younger guys and will really excite the older players. If we traded Fisher for a mid 40's pick when he didnt want to go then i would be disgusted with the club. You wants us to play every game like the tigers game last week then do the trade and watch the club get 25k members in 2 years time.
well as you say we probably only want to draft 4 or 5 - so im trying to get 4 or 5 picks as high as we can get them.

imho - its a balance between - get old and we get rid of you (noone wants that) - and saints - what a lovely place to wind down your career and get paid good coin - heck we dont care where we finish (none wants that either)

as you know p66 - we were a retirement village and dumping ground for 'ageing stars' in the 80s. i dont want to be that side. we cant just keep on every guy who was good 5 years ago because they want to play on. these days - with the money - everyone wants to play on. yes we should be loyal to our players - but surely that has limits and is balanced by our list requirements?

as i recall it stevie baker was peed off when he was 'retired' - this was handled poorly but i think the club was right to retire him. do you think that sent a bad message to young players or would you have preferred steve played for as long as he felt like it?
You cant let the players tail wag the dog.

e.g Chad Cornes went to GWS and I dont think the young Port players are losing much sleep over that right now.

p.s speaking of ageing stars - i pulled up alongside jim krakouer at the lights 2 days ago - I gave him the 'thumbs up' and he gave me one back!

Baker was finished and I reckon he and most players knew that. Kosi and Blake are finished and im sure they and the other players know that. Milne will maybe go as well and Lenny could if wants to go. Fisher, Dal and joey still have 3 years left and are still very good players. they will not get their real value though because they are to old however if they want to go let them go anf if a club wants to pay overs and they are happy to go then let them go. Lets just not get rid of older guys because they are older for a pick that is likely to get us bugger all. It isnt worth upsetting our players and supporters.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Baker was finished and I reckon he and most players knew that. Kosi and Blake are finished and im sure they and the other players know that. Milne will maybe go as well and Lenny could if wants to go. Fisher, Dal and joey still have 3 years left and are still very good players. they will not get their real value though because they are to old however if they want to go let them go anf if a club wants to pay overs and they are happy to go then let them go. Lets just not get rid of older guys because they are older for a pick that is likely to get us bugger all. It isnt worth upsetting our players and supporters.
This is based on the premise someone wants to pay overs and the player is happy because the other side is paying more $$.

And Im pretty sure Port supporters arent holding a grudge about Chadwick.

Its a balance surely. Sure each player needs to be judged on his merits. With Chips and Schneids I have no confidence in their bodies.

If the Suns wanted to throw a high pick and heaps of cash at Gilbo/Dempster and he was happy to go - I wouldn't stand in his way.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
This is based on the premise someone wants to pay overs and the player is happy because the other side is paying more $$.

Its a balance surely. Sure each player needs to be judged on his merits. With Chips and Schneids I have no confidence in their bodies.

If the Suns wanted to throw a high pick and heaps of cash at Gilbo/Dempster and he was happy to go - I wouldn't stand in his way.

Cornes was gone. it would like us getting rid of Kosi. It would be nothing like us getting rid of Fisher for pick 49. And who said anyone wouldnt jump at high pick for gilbo or dempster. i dont think that was ever an issue. the point is there wont be high picks though. And I dont get the cash bit. Clubs cant give each other cash now for players.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Cornes was gone. it would like us getting rid of Kosi. It would be nothing like us getting rid of Fisher for pick 49. And who said anyone wouldnt jump at high pick for gilbo or dempster. i dont think that was ever an issue. the point is there wont be high picks though. And I dont get the cash bit. Clubs cant give each other cash now for players.

By cash i meant the player is happy with the contract offer from the other club