For the good of the club

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

TAGHLAO
Club Player

Re: For the good of the club

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Has to stand aside
We can't have a media circus following players around
Too much of a distraction for players and coaches
A shocking look for sponsors .
I feel for Milney . This happened so long ago and it should have been dealt with them.
But he needs to step aside.
Anyone wonder we can't get any decent sponsors and we can only get blokes sponsors .
This is why.

To you are others saying he should stand aside then I ask how long for? A week or two or a month? What amount of time.
Until the trail which is July 5th

The trial?? Trial won't be for 18 months. July 5th a committal hearing. This is the end of his career mate. If he has to stand down now, what changes in the next 18 months that will allow him to play again short of all charges being dropped, which ain't going to happen.

TAGHLAO
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:I don't buy the 'innocent until proven guilty' thing.

That's a law. It's not the way I sum up my opinions on things in general life. The law says that I can't cross the road when the little man is red, but I still do when I decide it's in my interests to do so.

Just because the law says he is 'innocent' until proven guilty, doesn't mean my thoughts towards him are the same as they are towards someone who hasn't been charged with 4 counts of rape.

Having said that, it also doesn't mean I think he is guilty and that my thoughts towards him are the same as someone who is actually guilty of 4 counts of rape.

But I can't barrack for the Saints as hard and deeply as I usually do while there's a dude playing that might be guilty of 4 counts of rape playing.

I mean what happens if Milne kicks the first goal? Does the crowd go beserk and think 'good on him, he really stuck it up everyone'? I can't wish a bloke all the best a be 'proud' of someone who might be guilty of rape.

I know he isn't guilty of anything yet, but the fact senior experienced detectives think he is - casts enough doubt in my mind to generate any excitement either way about him as a footballer until the truth comes out.
What were your thoughts on him for the last 9 years, because nothing has changed in the last 2 days. His story is the same, her story is the same. The only difference is a different set of eyes believe he may have a case to answer than the original one did.

Austinnn
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote:f*** the circus f*** the media. Milne plays till he is proven guilty.

You want saad to play? Do you understand the gap between Milne and saad?? f*** me

f*** the saints I f***** give up with this 2 but f***** joke of a club I hope we lose this week
The inverse to Strength Through Loyalty at it's finest there.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
TAGHLAO
Club Player

Moorabbin Man wrote:
Old Mate wrote:I have to agree. If we are consistent (Gram and Lovett) then Milne will be sacked immediately.
How can they? This occurred in 2004 and at the time the Club did not (rightfully) stand him down. They cannot change their mind 9 years after the fact and have two bites of the cherry. All that has changed, is that some paluka at Vic Pol has changed their mind. Nothing else has changed. So the Club should get some competent (not the idiot whom advised them in the GT annual leave matter) industrial legal advice re: standing Milne down. That advice should be that they can't and would face a law suit from Milne if they did.

My thoughts exactly. Nothing has changed her the opinion of the DPP. The majority of facts in this case are undisputed, the issue at hand is whether what happened is an offence. Originally, it was thought no, now on re-examination it has been decided that maybe it is. Therefore there is even doubt in the eyes of those investigating. Very disappointed in the club tonight. Wouldn't want to see a #loyaltyunites hashtag on my feed.

TAGHLAO
Club Player

Austinnn wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:f*** the circus f*** the media. Milne plays till he is proven guilty.

You want saad to play? Do you understand the gap between Milne and saad?? f*** me

f*** the saints I f***** give up with this 2 but f***** joke of a club I hope we lose this week

Club proved today "SQF" is nothing more than a marketing slogan. No buy-in from them.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

what changed is that he is now formally charged

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

TAGHLAO wrote:
Austinnn wrote:

Club proved today "SQF" is nothing more than a marketing slogan. No buy-in from them.
harsh IMO

the club didn't create this situation it's dealing with it

and it has to consider all things not just those RE Milne... what do you propose as a better plan

bigred
Saintsational Legend

This is the end eh.

f*** me... I'm not getting involved this time over.

I still remember back when this hit the fan in 2004 being that invested in the whole drama.

Not again. What will be will be.

He had an outstanding football career.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:what changed is that he is now formally charged
Exactly.
Formally charged people.
That's the ugly reality .

70s sainter
Club Player

f*** the saints I f***** give up with this 2 but f***** joke of a club I hope we lose this week[/quote]

The inverse to Strength Through Loyalty at it's finest there.[/quote]

Club proved today "SQF" is nothing more than a marketing slogan. No buy-in from them.[/quote]

harsh IMO

the club didn't create this situation it's dealing with it

and it has to consider all things not just those RE Milne... what do you propose as a better plan[/quote]

Agree- Milne being the ultimate clubman should know what something like this brings to the club. It sounds harsh but were not going to play finals this year or next , so it's not a massive loss to have him on the sidelines . There is 40 other players on the list as well as sponsors and members the club has to think about .
That's just the way afl , esp with a poorer club like the saints is these days and Milne should accept that.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

If it doesn't proceed to trail and Milne has retired it would be a terribly sad end for a great career. I'd wait for the hearing before thinking about retirement. The club should have stood by him pending the hearing. Best thing for him I would think would be to play this week and next. Disappointed in the club.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
stinger
Saintsational Legend

for the good of the club???????f*** me...for the good of the sponsors more like it...what about the players..??? what about their good.....and their chances of winning this weekend???....one of their mates has just been shafted big time....they are really pissed off by the sounds of it.........if it was me a player revolt would not be out of the question....maybe they are just considering one too.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Well the sponsors are a big part of the club aren't they? No sponsors, no money, no players. And the biggest sponsor of them all, the AFL, wants him not to play, no matter what they say publically. The club, and the competition, are bigger than one player. In public life, there are stronger guidelines on employment....if he was on tv or radio he would be suspended pending outcome....same here if you ask me. Players would be stupid to revolt.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Don't get the venom towards the club...

You don't know the details.

Hold your fire I reckon, don't forget the afl is briefed by the ACC and Vic police.

This is no longer about footy, stand back a little.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

TAGHLAO wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:I don't buy the 'innocent until proven guilty' thing.

That's a law. It's not the way I sum up my opinions on things in general life. The law says that I can't cross the road when the little man is red, but I still do when I decide it's in my interests to do so.

Just because the law says he is 'innocent' until proven guilty, doesn't mean my thoughts towards him are the same as they are towards someone who hasn't been charged with 4 counts of rape.

Having said that, it also doesn't mean I think he is guilty and that my thoughts towards him are the same as someone who is actually guilty of 4 counts of rape.

But I can't barrack for the Saints as hard and deeply as I usually do while there's a dude playing that might be guilty of 4 counts of rape playing.

I mean what happens if Milne kicks the first goal? Does the crowd go beserk and think 'good on him, he really stuck it up everyone'? I can't wish a bloke all the best a be 'proud' of someone who might be guilty of rape.

I know he isn't guilty of anything yet, but the fact senior experienced detectives think he is - casts enough doubt in my mind to generate any excitement either way about him as a footballer until the truth comes out.
What were your thoughts on him for the last 9 years, because nothing has changed in the last 2 days. His story is the same, her story is the same. The only difference is a different set of eyes believe he may have a case to answer than the original one did.

My thoughts for the last 8 years and 6 months were that he was a guy who was found by the police and the OPP (or whatever they're called) to not have a case to answer. Therefore no different to any other player or person.

The 6 months prior to that, my feelings towards him were very similar to what they are now.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:for the good of the club???????f*** me...for the good of the sponsors more like it...what about the players..??? what about their good.....and their chances of winning this weekend???....one of their mates has just been shafted big time....they are really pissed off by the sounds of it.........if it was me a player revolt would not be out of the question....maybe they are just considering one too.....
Player revolt? Grow up stinger...

Milne has played one good game this year, has been lucky to stay in the side on form, if we can't beat Melbourne without him we should be asking for a priority pick.

It would an absolute circus if Milne played this week & someone else pointed out, what Iif he played and kicked 8 goals or the match winner... Very awkward.

Football has to come second to this unfortunate situation.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Don't get the venom towards the club...

Hold your fire I reckon, don't forget the afl is briefed by the ACC and Vic police.

The club had no choice. None whatsoever.

This isn't a normal situation. Thsi isn't as simple as 'supporting an employee' or 'presumed innocent until proven guilty'.

Footy clubs no longer exist to win footy matches. They are businesses. They are entertainment businesses, and they are part of the biggest entertainment business in the country.

This is a business whereby probably 60% (total guess!) of their customers are women and children. Of the other 40%, I'd imagine many are fathers to women and girls.

Any other business, that needed to make money from the full support and adulation of women and children could not possibly continue to keep an employee in a comparable role to what Milne is in - if they were charged with 4 counts of rape.

I mean, do you think that Rolph Harris would now be touring with the Wiggles?

I don't like the constant comparisons to the workplace, and employee support, and 'presumption of innocence' etc. It's a totally different situation for the club.

I shudder to imagine the thrashing the club would have copped from the public and the media had it allowed him to play on. I just shudder at the thought.

It's not about whether he's guilty or not for the club. That's irrelevant. It's about their business and managing the brand and reputation. In this instance, it has to be.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Player revolt???.........pffftt.

The players should stand back a little and look at the complexity of this issue for those running the football club. This would have been an agonising decision for them, but at the end of the day the greater good of the football club has to be at the forefront. Nobody at the club has bad intentions for Milne, but this matter is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. With Milne probably already in the last year of his career, does the club jeopardise its position for the next couple of years in relation to sponsors, memberships, and so on, as the heat of abuse and incessant scrutiny engulfs everyone associated with it?

I'll be happy to go to games without that concern weighing on me. The club has been very good to Stephen Milne and has had to bear much of the heat for the immense dramas of 2004. Milne and his senior team mates should understand the club's position, as they know only too well how destructive the constant media hammering, crowd abuse, and the resultant heavy financial damage that done by perceived off field indiscretions. No one will ever forget the Kim Duthie saga, and in that situation, there was no wrongdoing by St Kilda players, yet the insane media circus and its enormous damage to our club and its finances cannot be underestimated.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member....well said.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
SainterK wrote:Don't get the venom towards the club...

The club had no choice. None whatsoever.

This isn't a normal situation. Thsi isn't as simple as 'supporting an employee' or 'presumed innocent until proven guilty'.

Footy clubs no longer exist to win footy matches. They are businesses. They are entertainment businesses, and they are part of the biggest entertainment business in the country.

This is a business whereby probably 60% (total guess!) of their customers are women and children. Of the other 40%, I'd imagine many are fathers to women and girls.

Any other business, that needed to make money from the full support and adulation of women and children could not possibly continue to keep an employee in a comparable role to what Milne is in - if they were charged with 4 counts of rape.

I mean, do you think that Rolph Harris would now be touring with the Wiggles?

I don't like the constant comparisons to the workplace, and employee support, and 'presumption of innocence' etc. It's a totally different situation for the club.

I shudder to imagine the thrashing the club would have copped from the public and the media had it allowed him to play on. I just shudder at the thought.

It's not about whether he's guilty or not for the club. That's irrelevant. It's about their business and managing the brand and reputation. In this instance, it has to be.
Bang on.

Milne and his teammates would be shocked, and perhaps slightly in denial about this, but there's no way he can play.

In perspective him sitting out the next 11 games is not the end of the world. The club can still support him while protecting their interests.

Just the howls whenever he went near the ball would be horrendous, and ugly beyond anything we've seen.

Aside from the likelihood that the AFL would prevent it and sponsors would walk.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Womens Round is Round 14 - good chance he may return after this has round has been completed which will also be after his initial file hearing - July 5th??

Given the sensitive nature of the subject matter and the significance of Round 14 it was probaly a wise choice to stand him down at least for a few weeks

I wouldnt be surprised if we see him return for our Round 15 game which is on Sunday 7th against Freo in Perth

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

that's right. you can't have a player, who has just been charged with rape, taking to the field. good decision by the club imo.

no doubt the AFL, who are trying to take action against vilification, would have wanted what the board have done. ironic that Milne just met with the AFL only the other day to discuss this.

can you imagine how horrendous it would be for our kids at the ground against Carlton listening to all the guttersnipe comments vulgaring out of the dirty blue mouths?

I think you would expect the players and Milne to say nothing but the desire that Milne should play. that's the code.

I see that mole Wilson is at it again trying to create internal drama at the club. again, you would expect the player's association to say he should be playing, but we don't hear too much from them when, week in week out, Milne cops abuse beyond decency.

on a positive note this could end well for Milne; if the committal hearing says there is no case it would mean there would be no trial, and the whole thing would be done and dusted for good. Milne may then be free to play, the champion that he is, the end of his career, completely clear of any crime or perceived guilt. the phoenix rising.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:Womens Round is Round 14 - good chance he may return after this has round has been completed which will also be after his initial file hearing - July 5th??

Given the sensitive nature of the subject matter and the significance of Round 14 it was probaly a wise choice to stand him down at least for a few weeks

I wouldnt be surprised if we see him return for our Round 15 game which is on Sunday 7th against Freo in Perth
IF he makes a return I can't see it happening in Rd 15 as he will be in Court that day and the team will be flying out to Perth. Depending on what happens in Court on July 5, his return will be Rd 16, if at all !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
Devilhead wrote:Womens Round is Round 14 - good chance he may return after this has round has been completed which will also be after his initial file hearing - July 5th??

IF he makes a return I can't see it happening in Rd 15 as he will be in Court that day and the team will be flying out to Perth. Depending on what happens in Court on July 5, his return will be Rd 16, if at all !!
Round 16 is v Carlton on the Saturday night at Etihad

Reckon he would prefer to fly out straight to Perth after the court hearing late Friday afternoon - would still arrive Friday night

Either way he still might not have a choice

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
Eastern wrote:

Round 16 is v Carlton on the Saturday night at Etihad

Reckon he would prefer to fly out straight to Perth after the court hearing late Friday afternoon - would still arrive Friday night

Either way he still might not have a choice

He isnt going to be allowed to play straight after womens round. That would be the worst look ever. Lets face it, he has little hope of ever playing again which is very sad for him and all of us who dont even get to say bye and well done.