Adam Goodes should promote the King Kong musical

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markp
Saintsational Legend

Re: Adam Goodes should promote the King Kong musical

joffaboy wrote:
markp wrote:

The publicly articulated association is utterly appalling and totally out of order, and as it was made in public should be condemned wholeheartedly in public, by the public.

And Ed is an absolute hypocrite.
Agree with all of this.

Does that make what he said racist? I tend to think not.

Personally I tend to believe it was a terrible arrogant misjudgement that would, even by association, have opened up Goodes's wound rom Friday night.

It was dumb and unpardonable. McGuire has made an unconditional apology and is not deflecting or making excuses.

He should know better and that is the point. Not that he is a racist or even the comment was racist. McGuire is in a position of responsibility, as a broadcaster and as the president of the largest AFL club in the land.

I just think the lynch mob mentality over this is way out of hand.
It was a racist association... I think that qualifies what he said as 'racist'.

He was trying to make a joke about something that is totally out of bounds, he has form, and so does the... er... group he represents.

He is a powerful, influential, and outspoken individual... and there's no bigger public sin than hypocrisy.

His apology sounded about as contrite as Pell's, but a little more aggressive.

I honestly think he sort of forgot where he was for a second (he sounded and said he was pretty out of it), and that it's the sort of thing he'd probably say in private.

Pig of a man, in my books... deserves all he gets and then some.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:They're talking about extreme publicity for KING KONG.

Eddie hunts through his weary brain for some topical connection. First things that pops up is Adam Goodes. Tries to be funny, edgy. A comment more on the publicity machine than anything.

Doesn't work. Eddie tries to "walk it back" but only makes it worse.

Eddie deserves some flak but I too am worried that too much opprobrium will only give fuel to the anti-PC brigade. Already I can see an apologetic Eddie on THE FOOTY SHOW with Sam Newman beside him simmering with righteous indignation.
+1

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
markp
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:They're talking about extreme publicity for KING KONG.

Eddie hunts through his weary brain for some topical connection. First things that pops up is Adam Goodes. Tries to be funny, edgy. A comment more on the publicity machine than anything.

Doesn't work. Eddie tries to "walk it back" but only makes it worse.

Eddie deserves some flak but I too am worried that too much opprobrium will only give fuel to the anti-PC brigade. Already I can see an apologetic Eddie on THE FOOTY SHOW with Sam Newman beside him simmering with righteous indignation.
That was his excuse, that's how you can be guaranteed he'll/they'll play it out... and the 'PC gone mad' brigade can go please themselves.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Couple of posters in the Filth forum actually compliment Milney for putting up with more s*** than anyone else over the years, and staying quiet about it

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Enrico_Misso wrote: You would think they would focus more on target groups
- like single mothers

Congrats by the way!
haha and thanks. :wink:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Yes congrats pop :)

SinCitySainter
Club Player

The individual here that I have lost all respect for is Harry O'Brien.
He quite clearly made homophobic comments to Tom Hawkins.
No, he didn't say "FAT" it was quite clear on the replay what he said.
Yet, now he has the audacity to take a moral stance on this condemning vilification regardless of where it comes from.
Unless of course it is you doing the vilifying obviously eh Harry.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Out of all of the finger pointing the one sensible voice over the weekend was one Nathan Buckley during his interview on SEN on Saturday morning.

He pointed to Harry O'Brien that whilst he may not have taunted Tom Hawkins with a homophobic taunt, Harry did admit to calling Hawkins "fat" and Buckley had to explain homophobic is not good but neither is fat and he's just insulted another group of people. In other words there is no difference with what you call someone, as somebody out there will be upset.

Wise words from Bucks and my estimation of him went up.

As for Eddie, think of him as a school captain, prize smart arse who was trying to big note himself at the expense of someone else, and as a typical bully, he thought he could get away with it until everybody's hackles rose, hence the back pedalling.

He's a bully from way back and he at last cooked his own goose. No sympathy at all for him and all sympathy to Goodes who yet again has found himself back in the school yard in Horsham.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

SinCitySainter wrote:The individual here that I have lost all respect for is Harry O'Brien.
You previously had respect for Harry O'Brien??

A more self indulgent, narcissistic w@nker, I've not encountered..

Welcome to the party, better late than never...

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone think Eddie is a racist? I don't think he is. Did he make a silly comment? Yes, he certainly did. Eddie is a wanker, but seriously. I think this just proves people can say stupid things at times, but please stop the finger pointing. Get on with more important things.

The more we turn it into a circus, the further away any solution to this problem comes.

stevie wrote:Couple of posters in the Filth forum actually compliment Milney for putting up with more s*** than anyone else over the years, and staying quiet about it

That says a lot about their moral standing-as long as he doesn't say or do anything like lean over the fence and job one of them, then it's alright.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Sobraz wrote:
SinCitySainter wrote:The individual here that I have lost all respect for is Harry O'Brien.

but, but he wants World Peace and succeed the Dali Lama :wink:

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Geeez.. reminiscent of rex and his leon davis comments.

Stoopid.
not even in the same ballpark. Rex had a signature comment he used to always make about his black dog or something (like the 77 Sunset Strip, Lord Nelson, The Rifleman and another one about special fried rice) and then he used it when Leon had the ball, he then realised what he had done and tried to change tact but became legitimately tongue tied and it came out sounding like he had had a go at Leon, which he didn't. But he was sorry and apologised anyway as any fair person would.

Not the same.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
markp wrote:

The publicly articulated association is utterly appalling and totally out of order, and as it was made in public should be condemned wholeheartedly in public, by the public.

And Ed is an absolute hypocrite.
Agree with all of this.

Does that make what he said racist? I tend to think not.

Personally I tend to believe it was a terrible arrogant misjudgement that would, even by association, have opened up Goodes's wound rom Friday night.

It was dumb and unpardonable. McGuire has made an unconditional apology and is not deflecting or making excuses.

He should know better and that is the point. Not that he is a racist or even the comment was racist. McGuire is in a position of responsibility, as a broadcaster and as the president of the largest AFL club in the land.

I just think the lynch mob mentality over this is way out of hand.
You might feel differently if you have been on the receiving end of racism/bullying/discrimination your whole life mate.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
twirlyhair
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:Gee I never knew there was "Thought Police". If someone thinks something but never acts or says anything then you don't know what they are thinking.

So it's ok IMO to not like all races/religions provided you don't voice your opinion against them in any form that can be of harm!
Mate you are clearly racist in your thoughts and actions. On this site you have it patently clear. You judge races and religions and apply your neandrethal rational to all who belong to that group. And you do it from the "corageous" safety of your computer. Your thinking is old, a thing of the past, not of the future. Try taking a little advice from MLK and judge people by their character, not their color or religion. And maybe try to make friends with one of those from these races or religions that you say you don't like. Tell them its ok to think it but not say it.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:

Omfg agreed

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
twirlyhair
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
mullet wrote:I am afraid I cannot understand how he can even have the thought. How would you even think that. I have seen all the King Kong publicity too and never once did Adam Goodes come to mind.

I can only think he must have been out of his mind, whether tired, or lack of concentration, who knows.

But it isnt up to me and how I feel, it is up to Adam Goodes and apparantly he is hurt badly again, what a week Adam.

One thing though, and it prob makes no difference to Adam, but I admire him a lot more than I did last week, and understand a lot more how words can cut deep.
It makes sense. King Kong and Apes and Goodes. Join the dots. I didn't think of it but I understand what Eddie was saying. Just not a good thing to say.
I rest my case

twirlyhair
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/mcg ... 2napr.html

Noice.

Goodes hasn't accepted Eddie's apology and even better Harry O has turned on his prez.

The real good that can come out of this is destabilising Collingwood. I don't think they will have many fans on Friday night at the Gabba. Go Lions!
Just a little more to go on with....the only good thing is the football? How about improved race relations in this country?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:You might feel differently if you have been on the receiving end of racism/bullying/discrimination your whole life mate.

How do you know I haven't?

FFS dont try and brush me with the ignorance tag.

But continue on with the circus, I am sure we will have world peace and an end to racism because of it. Maybe start a facebook page we could all like.

Fkn condecending douche :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
markp
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
markp wrote:Geeez.. reminiscent of rex and his leon davis comments.

Stoopid.
not even in the same ballpark. Rex had a signature comment he used to always make about his black dog or something (like the 77 Sunset Strip, Lord Nelson, The Rifleman and another one about special fried rice) and then he used it when Leon had the ball, he then realised what he had done and tried to change tact but became legitimately tongue tied and it came out sounding like he had had a go at Leon, which he didn't. But he was sorry and apologised anyway as any fair person would.

Not the same.
It may be much worse but I meant reminiscent in regard to putting his foot in mouth over the issue followed by rambled back-peddling.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
mullet wrote:I am afraid I cannot understand how he can even have the thought. How would you even think that. I have seen all the King Kong publicity too and never once did Adam Goodes come to mind.

I can only think he must have been out of his mind, whether tired, or lack of concentration, who knows.

But it isnt up to me and how I feel, it is up to Adam Goodes and apparantly he is hurt badly again, what a week Adam.

One thing though, and it prob makes no difference to Adam, but I admire him a lot more than I did last week, and understand a lot more how words can cut deep.
It makes sense. King Kong and Apes and Goodes. Join the dots. I didn't think of it but I understand what Eddie was saying. Just not a good thing to say.
I rest my case
Yep, It doesnt "make sense" to me either

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Harry O shoved it right up Eddie's arse today. He is his boss and I have to respect him for that.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Rosco
Club Player

Eastern wrote:Joffa, I have been thinking about the Krakour incident. There is NO WAY that anyone could/should interpret that as racist. Yes, it can be seen as offensive, but NOT racist !!
you could argue that by suggesting that a sledge based on his criminal history (as tasteless as that was) is racist is actually racist in itself. I mean, when ed said "that comment is racist", the response should have been "no, it's horrible, but not racist. not all aborigines are criminals ed"

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Did Eddy make this remark intentionally to raise the awareness of racism? Because Eddy is no mug and I still can't believe he went there.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

It was probably meant as a good humoured segue linking King Kong and the latest media controversy- just it was a massively stupid thing to do considering that he is an extremely experienced media performer.

I don't believe he is a racist by nature just an insensitive oaf. A bit like making 9/11 jokes a week after the event- not wise. Some issues are too sensitive to joke about race issues just are a no go zone.

I like the fact that people in football media cop a bit of their own over dramatising of situations though. Especially Eddie. Dick head not a white supremacist.

On the idea that criminal history taunts are racist - it could show that there is an impression in Eddies mind that incarceration is a cultural stereo type, therefor he has an ingrained racism that works on a sub conscious level. I think it was more a chance to run off his mouth because he is overly emotional when it comes to his footy team.