Jamie Cripps-Mitch Brown? !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jamie Cripps-Mitch Brown? !!

dragit wrote:I hope we don't use our 2nd round pick to get Brown, I don't think he's that good… injury prone and struggling to crack it as their 3rd tall backmen.

Would rather chase Pederson or Thompson if west coat are going to be silly.

Pedersen makes gilbert look like a clean kick according to a mate. I would go back after Jayden Post and see if we can get him cheap. He's not getting game time either. I wouldn't pay too much for Hickey either. Just a player so far and not sure how much more he will develop. I think Kobe Stevens is not a bad option if cheap or a direct swap for Cripps then walk away if they don't want to trade on brown not worth mortgaging the farm for him.

cross2012
Club Player

Hansen dominated as a CHb at under age level and was taken at number 3. From what i have seen he hasnt quite made the transition to senior footy hence North open to trading him. Notsure what others see in him

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Reading the WCE fansite, they all seem pretty much think its going to happen....Cripps plus a pick should get Brown....which pick being the only issue. Hopefully the WCE management will see it likewise. Halfway thru next year when Brown has still been playing in their magoos, and refusing to sign a contract, and they're staring down the barrell of a 3rd or 4th round pick....they'll be regretting a hold out. Common sense should prevail.

Nee!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

pick 53

43 if we really have to

but is he that good?
dunno
cant remember him really

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Cripps + pick 33 for Brown
Use 24 for Hickey

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Ross who?
Club Player

SaintWodonga wrote:Cripps + pick 33 for Brown
Use 24 for Hickey
Agreed. I think this is the best fit and most appropriate

Blake Acres fan club VIP
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Ross who? wrote:
Use 24 for Hickey
Agreed. I think this is the best fit and most appropriate

Thats called paying overs... but we probably will. :?

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

How about OUR 2nd round pick for Hickey (34) and OUR 3rd round pick with Cripps for Brown (53). Don't forget WCE have stuff all picks (38, 57, 75)- they have no first rounder and we're ahead of them in the draft order.

We need to keep 13 & 24 if we want a chance at some quality kids. Use 43 to get Brown if we absolutely have to. Maybe we can look at satifying GC with a player for Hickey?

The other option is Cripps & 34 to WCE for Brown & 38. Then 38 to GC for Hickey. The other thing to keep in mind in all this is that GC have stuff all picks this year as well (no first round, 25, 44).

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:How about OUR 2nd round pick for Hickey (34) and OUR 3rd round pick with Cripps for Brown (53). Don't forget WCE have stuff all picks (38, 57, 75)- they have no first rounder and we're ahead of them in the draft order.

We need to keep 13 & 24 if we want a chance at some quality kids. Use 43 to get Brown if we absolutely have to. Maybe we can look at satifying GC with a player for Hickey?

The other option is Cripps & 34 to WCE for Brown & 38. Then 38 to GC for Hickey. The other thing to keep in mind in all this is that GC have stuff all picks this year as well (no first round, 25, 44).

nice plan i like it.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
True Believer wrote:How about OUR 2nd round pick for Hickey (34) and OUR 3rd round pick with Cripps for Brown (53). Don't forget WCE have stuff all picks (38, 57, 75)- they have no first rounder and we're ahead of them in the draft order.

nice plan i like it.
Thanks - the other sweetener we could offer GC for HIckey is to swap our pick 24 for their pick 25 - it's little things like that that creep clubs up the draft order that get deals like this done.... and if we do that we could make it pick 24, 38 for hickey, pick 25 and pick 44.

GC need trim their list so pick 44 is probably no good to them if we upgrade it to pick 38 (are they required to take 3 picks as well?) but 44 is still alright for us. We would end up with 13, 25, 43, 44

IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

GC do need to take 3 in the draft but they are able to include the mini draft pick that they got from GWS.

So they'll only need to take 2 'live' picks (25 & 44). That's why I was surprised that they didn't jump at taking pick 13 for Caddy (instead of a pick in the 2013 draft that could end up in the low 20's).

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I have to say regarding the stand off with WCE that I can't understand why they wont trade.
He isn't a regular, he hasn't cemented a spot in their side due too Glass etc, so they either trade him this year, or next year he will tell him to put their contract as far out of sunlight as possible and face the prospect of possibly getting nothing.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

This deal has all the makings of us paying massive overs for Brown. We seem desperate and WC know this. He's contracted and I doubt WC really want Cripps. I personally hope we stay away from Brown unless Pelchen can work his magic and pay no more than pick 34 for him. Doubt it will happen though.

lefty
Club Player

Use 24 for Hickey
How do you fit in Jacobs from Port then? Or Stevens?

Don't pay extra for Brown, a simple Brown for Cripps should do it, if not, include a late-ish pick, over 40....

Then you can get Hickey for our mid 20's pick, and Jacobs for our mid 30's pick maybe?
Last edited by lefty on Thu 11 Oct 2012 5:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

sax
Club Player

lefty wrote:
Use 24 for Hickey

Pick 24 or 34 for Jacobs
Pick 24 or 34 for Hickey
Cripps & 43 for Brown.

If we don't get Jacobs, chuck in an extra pick to WCE for Stevens.
We don't have 33.

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
dragit
Saintsational Legend

sax wrote:
lefty wrote:
Use 24 for Hickey

Pick 24 or 34 for Jacobs
Pick 24 or 34 for Hickey
Cripps & 43 for Brown.

If we don't get Jacobs, chuck in an extra pick to WCE for Stevens.
We don't have 33.
What would that leave us with 13 & a 4th rounder? Think we still need to add at least 2-3 decent 18 year olds...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

People do realise that getting all these players may be good in the short term because we know they can play a bit but to be a top side you need some stars. Will any of these guys become stars? i suggest we take the punt and try and recruit at least 2 or 3 lower picks on guys we havent seen. May get hacks but could also get a Fisher, Joey or Dal.

sax
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:People do realise that getting all these players may be good in the short term because we know they can play a bit but to be a top side you need some stars. Will any of these guys become stars? i suggest we take the punt and try and recruit at least 2 or 3 lower picks on guys we havent seen. May get hacks but could also get a Fisher, Joey or Dal.
I honestly think Jacobs can be a star!

If you watch the vision of him, I think he looks like a young Dal!

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
lefty
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:People do realise that getting all these players may be good in the short term because we know they can play a bit but to be a top side you need some stars. Will any of these guys become stars? i suggest we take the punt and try and recruit at least 2 or 3 lower picks on guys we havent seen. May get hacks but could also get a Fisher, Joey or Dal.
We'll the Brown for Cripps + 43 will probably get done, we need a FB, Cripps wants out to WC and Brown wants out to us.

We're after Hickey, so that will get done by the looks of it, maybe Raph + a late round pick? They need some mature guys, perhaps we could then save our pick 34?

So I guess what you're saying is you don't want Jacobs then and would rather pick up a young kid with pick 24, along with another young kid for pick 13?

I can't see how else we're going to do this?

Jacobs was pick 16... but tbh the actual number really means nothing at all, look what we got Sam Fisher at for example. Its more to do with hoping that we get the right player if were going to draft a young kid that won't get home sick, leave for more cash, and can be a really good player.

We've had a lot of dismal first round picks we've wasted on young kids that haven't come through, IE, Cripps is going, Lynch etc

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Jacobs hasn't had time to prove himself either way. Sydney grab guys who have been through the development then get their best output. There is no difference with kids in the draft and guys who have been in the system for a couple of years. Either one is a gamble- he is from the same draft as most of the gold coast kids who only a few are yet showing their potential. He could be the next Lenny just like Colquhoun could be the next star. It's all a gamble.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

Despite my best efforts, lots of people still seem to be missing the point of trading with teams that have minimal draft picks - you don't' just GIVE them a draft pick, you upgrade their draft pick so you get one back yourself!!

So we give WCE Cripps, 34, and 53, but we get Brown and 38. So we got Brown for a player, pick 53 and a 4 spot downgrade on a second round pick.

We give GC pick 24 and 38 for Hickey, pick 25 (and maybe pick 44 if they don't need it). We get him for a late second round and a one spot upgrade on their first pick. Remember, GC only want to have 3 picks, and will want the earliest they can get, and NEED to trim their list. Currently their first two picks are 25 and 44, so that trade trims their list, and makes their two picks 24 & 38 (the minidraft pick counts as their third pick).

The only issue with this is if Geelong do any other draft pick swaps with them fo Caddy. Unless Geelong give up their first rounder in this years draft (not likely) their next pick is 36, which means we would have to deal with GC before WCE and probably use pick 24, but could get Hickey and 36 in return.

With Picks 38, 57 and 75 , WCE should be easy......

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I hope we can end up with Mitch Brown without having to lose Cripps.
Line breaking players like Cripps are as rare as hen's teeth.
Each of his run and carry possessions (when you consider the ground he covers) equate to two from most of our other players !
Manufacturing goals is like watching a painful root canal most of the time, for St Kilda - Cripps just makes it look so easy, even in his short stints up forward.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:I hope we can end up with Mitch Brown without having to lose Cripps.
Line breaking players like Cripps are as rare as hen's teeth.
Each of his run and carry possessions (when you consider the ground he covers) equate to two from most of our other players !
Manufacturing goals is like watching a painful root canal most of the time, for St Kilda - Cripps just makes it look so easy, even in his short stints up forward.

True, but if he wants out, we've got to get something we want for him....

lloyd21
Club Player

Will be straight swap or nothing.
The hope is Brown is saying I am leaving get something for me now.. or nothing next year

Eagles will deal it is the usual holding out to see if we panic.

As for Cripps being average was rated top 15 the year he got drafted

Gershwin
Club Player

Won't Cripps just go into the draft?
Nobody outside WA will draft him because he is back in WA and not moving anywhere.
WC draft him with a late pick.
I don't think Cripps has any currency for us at all and WC know it. He has walked out and gone. Really bad situation for us.
Have I missed something?

summertime and the living is easy ........