Cripps requests trade to West Coast

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Re: Cripps requests trade to West Coast

So value to the team in the eye of ross isnt that high then. Remember he let ball go due to the same reasons.

The only drug that im on is the same as everyone on here.

Its called saintsational.

Its that some are more addicted than others.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Because Ruckmen are rare every year 50 new midfielders enter the draft you would be lucky to get 5 decent rucks ... Potential wise Zac has more scope to be a star then Cripps has .. The only reason he was out of the freo team all year is cause Ross was more in favour of Kepler (god knows why) just like at st Kilda when Ross played guys like Polo & eddy over Armo and Steven
On ruckmen......in recent years teams who have won the flag have often had a traded in ruckman.

Mummy, Jolly, Ottens.....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:On ruckmen......in recent years teams who have won the flag have often had a traded in ruckman.

There aren't that many spots around the league. 36 max each week - and probably far less these days. I think, as a result, rucks appreciate that they may need to change clubs to get an opportunity.

Only the proven rucks have attracted first round picks, and Clarke is a long way from proven. He's getting a bit old top be throwing the 'p' word around. Cripps should have at least held his value. I'll be disappointed if we deal him for anything less than a top-20 pick. I don't want us to pick up a ruck at a cost unless it's a proven ruck. We've been through enough Cain Acklands to know how that usually goes.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:The story I'm hearing is Cripps was asked if he was open to the possibility of being traded to the WCE
That's pretty much the exact opposite of the reported story. Is there any reason we should believe your unnamed sources over the media's unnamed sources?
All I'm saying is there are two sides to every story before we start hanging on the kid lets make sure the facts are correct ... The source I'm getting info from is getting the info from Cripps father

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:The story I'm hearing is Cripps was asked if he was open to the possibility of being traded to the WCE
That's pretty much the exact opposite of the reported story. Is there any reason we should believe your unnamed sources over the media's unnamed sources?
All I'm saying is there are two sides to every story before we start hanging on the kid lets make sure the facts are correct ... The source I'm getting info from is getting the info from Cripps father

there are 2 sides....

The inside and the outside....

most people who comment are on the outside.....those that make it happen are on the inside

let's see what the insiders do...then the outsiders can go for their lives...

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
kalsaint
Club Player

Richter wrote:Koby Stevens, west coast inside mid. From Gippsland originally.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/ko ... 6482772467
Go to the comments provided and you will find a mixed response to Koby Stevens. Probably closer to 50/50 on his skills compared to the roasting Cripps is getting here generally.

Some have indicated Stevens would be a good option in a Victorian club as he just hasnt had the opportunity. Others state that his omission says it all. Who knows but the swap with Cripps may be worthwhile for both teams.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
kalsaint
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:
St Chris wrote:Thanks Jamie for "Luke Balling" us, publically nominating a single club for a trade completely screws over the player's current club, and hands all of the aces to the future club. I'd be surprised if we saw an offer for anything better than pick 100 to be honest. West Coast know he can walk into the draft for nothing, and they can use their 3rd or 4th pick on him, without another club going near him.
So many people ignore this about Bail. He screwed us over by nominating a single club and refusing to talk to anyone else.

I think Luke was the one screwed over by Lying. Once he was on the outer part of the team, of course he was going to leave. Not sure how he selected the filth but it's done now and wont change. He found a slot in their side and was a good fit until Beams played well this year. 2013 might be differnece for him coming off the injury and having to regain his place.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

It's easy why Luke chose collingwood they were close to a premiership ... When he left realistically 4 teams were in the hunt for the flag , us Geelong (showed no interest in Luke) bulldogs ( had not shown interest) and collingwood ( fell over themselves to get him ) ... The other suiters were Essendon who at the end of 2010 sacked their coach and Melbourne who had won the spoon ... Pretty easy choice for Luke

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Disappointed to say the least however we can't cry over spilt milk. I hope the club is focused on securing adaquate compensation whether in the form of a draft pick or player.

A scenario which I heard:

Koby Stevens ~ Dogs
Jamie Cripps ~ WC
Pick 27 via Dogs ~ ST K

Seems fair IMO.
so a first round pick with two years of training and prep and top level experience is worth pick 27?
fair?
screwed again i reckon

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:On ruckmen......in recent years teams who have won the flag have often had a traded in ruckman.

There aren't that many spots around the league. 36 max each week - and probably far less these days. I think, as a result, rucks appreciate that they may need to change clubs to get an opportunity.

Only the proven rucks have attracted first round picks, and Clarke is a long way from proven. He's getting a bit old top be throwing the 'p' word around. Cripps should have at least held his value. I'll be disappointed if we deal him for anything less than a top-20 pick. I don't want us to pick up a ruck at a cost unless it's a proven ruck. We've been through enough Cain Acklands to know how that usually goes.
I think a lot depends on how Pelchen/Watters rate Ben, and where he will be at in his development in 2013. With the rules such as they are...only one ruckman gets to play a lot as ruck in the seniors.

If you believe the rumours we are seeking to land a young ruck from GC who would be a back up to Ben next year rather than a replacement. However a ruck/forward could squeeze Kosi out.

Pelchen also recently comment that you wanted 4-5 ruckmen on your combined lists. This year we were caught out when Ben was not available.
We have Ben, Stanley and Kosi. Lever looks more like a KP than ruck...
So you would expect that we will draft /trade for at least 2 ruckmen. At least needs to be capable of playing seniors in 2013.

With Cripss...perhaps a deal is almost done...or perhaps we have instigated a slippery slope to a poor trade. If WCE or Freo are not keen we may get poor value. Pelchen strikes me as not the type to wait to trade week.

One thing I am sure of...we finished 9th...so change is needed...and improvement of what we have will not be enough.

FB will be high on our lists as it cost us ear in 2012. How high will in depend on what can be engineered.

We lack a quality mid.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
lefty
Club Player

Hrm Cripps was far ahead of Ledger for example, we put a lot of time, and to be honest, he looked good in the game against Melbourne.
Getting anything less than pick 25 would be a major loss for us due to all the time spent etc.

I think he'll be a decent player in the future

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

kalsaint wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
St Chris wrote:Thanks Jamie for "Luke Balling" us, publically nominating a single club for a trade completely screws over the player's current club, and hands all of the aces to the future club. I'd be surprised if we saw an offer for anything better than pick 100 to be honest. West Coast know he can walk into the draft for nothing, and they can use their 3rd or 4th pick on him, without another club going near him.
So many people ignore this about Bail. He screwed us over by nominating a single club and refusing to talk to anyone else.

I think Luke was the one screwed over by Lying. Once he was on the outer part of the team, of course he was going to leave. Not sure how he selected the filth but it's done now and wont change. He found a slot in their side and was a good fit until Beams played well this year. 2013 might be differnece for him coming off the injury and having to regain his place.
Luke Ball screwed us and the system plain and simple.

What he did was particular selfish in which he instigated that Collingwood only(team barracked for before playing), they had there first pick stewn up with Jolly.
Nobody trades fairly as Collingwood would not trade someone that was equal to Luke Ball.
Luke said Collingwood or no one then went to the draft knowing only Collingwood would pick him.
Basically Bally was the first ever free agency player and went to the club he choose for NOTHING were we could have traded him for something at another club or gone to the draft to Melbourne.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I was told that Collingwood approached him- he followed them as a kid because Russo is his uncle. They arranged to screw the system with threats to the AFL on restraint of trade before the Free trade came in and they were allowed to manipulate the system. Ball did a really shitty thing to us and the AFL by not following the system that is designed balance the comp by providing compensation. To me he lost all his hard earned respect the way he handled it. he might have been pissed with Lyon but he let down his fans and the club. Ordinary bloke.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

We have enough coaching staff from WA that you'd think they'd have a fair idea on the value of Koby Stevens if he's been playing in the WAFL.

As for Luke Ball, surely that's already been done to death in numerous threads.....

spert
Saintsational Legend

Filth mate who is close to the inner sanctum told me after the 2010 win that the club saw the two weaknesses to be plugged in order to win a flag were a dominant ruck and a tough in and under small-mid. Reckons they couldn't believe their luck when Ball became available- Lyon was just as much responsible for Ball leaving as anyone, and wasn't prepared to put any time into getting Ball back up to scratch. Ball just went to a club who rated him higher than Lyon and the Saints.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would do Kobe stevens and Strijk for a straight swap. A bit of old and a bit of new.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

HitTheBoundary wrote:We have enough coaching staff from WA that you'd think they'd have a fair idea on the value of Koby Stevens if he's been playing in the WAFL.

As for Luke Ball, surely that's already been done to death in numerous threads.....
True, I just hate when people refer that the saints screwed over ball. It was completely the opposite.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

tweedaletomanning wrote:Is there any danger of a player ever nominating US as the team they want to go to?
Stephen Powell
Fraser Gehrig
Aaron Hamill
Ex full back from Footscray (2002) whose name escapes me
Steven Salopek
Brendan Fevola
Jason Gram
Fabian Francis
Robert Mace

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Because Ruckmen are rare every year 50 new midfielders enter the draft you would be lucky to get 5 decent rucks ... Potential wise Zac has more scope to be a star then Cripps has .. The only reason he was out of the freo team all year is cause Ross was more in favour of Kepler (god knows why) just like at st Kilda when Ross played guys like Polo & eddy over Armo and Steven
Than can somebody explain to me whay we used our first round draft pick on him then? I reckon play hard ball. Take the ruckman if they really want Cripps. If they won't trade, stuff them.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
tweedaletomanning wrote:Is there any danger of a player ever nominating US as the team they want to go to?
Stephen Powell
Fraser Gehrig
Aaron Hamill
Steven Salopek
Brendan Fevola
Jason Gram
Fabian Francis
Robert Mace
Luke Penny

older saint
SS Life Member

samuraisaint wrote:
Stephen Powell
Fraser Gehrig
Aaron Hamill
Steven Salopek
Brendan Fevola
Jason Gram
Fabian Francis
Robert Mace
Luke Penny

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Gehrig originally was heading to collingwood we offers WCE a better pick so he came to us
Hamil got a big $ offer from us and was wooed by blight
Gram was a no name at bris bit like Cripps asking for a trade now
Fevola also nominated Geelong , collingwood or us

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Gehrig originally was heading to collingwood we offers WCE a better pick so he came to us
Can someone fill in the gaps here? I seem to recall that Fraser was originally heading to the Filth, but they/someone there did something that upset him...?

Dave McNamara.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Gehrig originally was heading to collingwood we offers WCE a better pick so he came to us
Can someone fill in the gaps here? I seem to recall that Fraser was originally heading to the Filth, but they/someone there did something that upset him...?
Was it something to do with them not drafting him in the first place?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Hamil got a big $ offer from us and was wooed by blight
Gram was a no name at bris bit like Cripps asking for a trade now
Fevola also nominated Geelong , collingwood or us

Gram was highly rated at Brissie but was injured for ages and couldn't play and requested a move to vic. Gehrig was traded to St Kilda after Ricky Nixon was mates with some of the Saints guys and the Pies accused Nixon of backroom deals to get the deal done. i think it might have been Thomas that he was mates with. I can't remember the details but I used to get good inside info from a mate that worked for Andrew Thompson's dad.