Barrett Gossip Update...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Barrett Gossip Update...

tweedaletomanning wrote:
SMS wrote:goddard is 27 not 34! he is in prime. down year but is capableof best player in league i agree we should pay 600k 4 years!!

reasonable. typical of us saints to let gold go!! we lose goddard over this minimal crap god help us! we lost the best coach in league over stupidity and now we may lose goddard over again arrogant crap!!!

dissapointing.
Typical of nettlefold mainly, the guy is an absolute incompetent boob.

Pelchen is the guy that will be managing this, he is the director of Football not a recruiter. He manages our list and our football operations. He is a tough operator and does put noses out of joint.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

How can we say any club official is a genius or a boob when we can't even agree on here?

Some people reckon we're crazy to offer a guy incredible amounts of money over a long period of time.

Yet others reckon we're gonna stuff up by not offering him what he wants which will lead to him walking?

Just gotta trust the club to do the right thing because they are in a much better position than we are to make that decision.

PJ
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:How can we say any club official is a genius or a boob when we can't even agree on here?

Some people reckon we're crazy to offer a guy incredible amounts of money over a long period of time.

Yet others reckon we're gonna stuff up by not offering him what he wants which will lead to him walking?

Just gotta trust the club to do the right thing because they are in a much better position than we are to make that decision.
Sound words oh wise sage

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:How can we say any club official is a genius or a boob when we can't even agree on here?

Some people reckon we're crazy to offer a guy incredible amounts of money over a long period of time

Come on Doc. Logic will get us nowhere. 8-)

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Don't get many genuine rumours with any sort of substance to them, but I have heard from a borderline reliable source that BJ has been offered an amount he almost can't sanely knock-back from an interstate club. This club is not Fremantle.

We'll have to see if it comes to fruition, but if what I've been told is true (doubtful) I would not blame him for accepting it because it far and away a better offer than anything we could produce.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

#1GILL wrote:Don't get many genuine rumours with any sort of substance to them, but I have heard from a borderline reliable source that BJ has been offered an amount he almost can't sanely knock-back from an interstate club. This club is not Fremantle.

We'll have to see if it comes to fruition, but if what I've been told is true (doubtful) I would not blame him for accepting it because it far and away a better offer than anything we could produce.

So BJ goes from being incredibly winning-driven to GWS cash-driven?

Whilst I do not begrudge players earning as much as they can whilst they can I also believe that with a large capital base that any A-grader should collect by careers end should set them up for life in business, education or a career straight out.

Or the fact that Goddard is known s one of the better footballers in the country.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Thing is the nuff nuffs on here will go for the kill at Nettlefold either way if BJ stays and in four years time he slows down (as all players in their 30s will) he will be the clown who didn't take the risk and made us miss out on xxxxx the star from the 2012 draft ... And if goddard leaves and played a good game or lord forbid wins a flag then he is clown for letting a star walk out over pigheadedness over 1 year on a contract ..... Lose lose situation for Netters

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

Thing is the nuff nuffs on here will go for the kill at Nettlefold either way if BJ stays and in four years time he slows down (as all players in their 30s will) he will be the clown who didn't take the risk and made us miss out on xxxxx the star from the 2012 draft ... And if goddard leaves and played a good game or lord forbid wins a flag then he is clown for letting a star walk out over pigheadedness over 1 year on a contract ..... Lose lose situation for Netters
What makes Nettlefold a proficient administrator anyway?

Nothing I have seen really allows me to think so.

The way he seemingly opened up the doors to the public of the football club post-RL to my symbolises that the man will be anything to whoever needs at any given time.

By stating explicitly that the club was insular due to RL entirely was rubbish. He is a leader of the football is he not?

Or was he plain intimidated by RL's style?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote: What makes Nettlefold a proficient administrator anyway?

The way he seemingly opened up the doors to the public of the football club post-RL to my symbolises that the man will be anything to whoever needs at any given time. 

By stating explicitly that the club was insular due to RL entirely was rubbish. He is a leader of the football is he not?

Yeah yeah.

And if Ross goes I need a "bubble", and Netters goes you can't have a "bubble", and Ross goes well I'm leaving coz I can't have my "bubble"...

......Netters is still a useless boob :roll:

Or in that situation would you say "Well done Michael"?

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:
The Redeemer wrote: What makes Nettlefold a proficient administrator anyway?

Yeah yeah.

And if Ross goes I need a "bubble", and Netters goes you can't have a "bubble", and Ross goes well I'm leaving coz I can't have my "bubble"...

......Netters is still a useless boob :roll:

Or in that situation would you say "Well done Michael"?
No point is different to the point you raised.

Nettlefold was quick to criticise the 'bubble' bulls*** after it occurred etc however he was happy to play his little role throughout.

Now Watters wanted a more open football club he is the first to start promoting it saying yey open football club we love the community xoxoxox

That is my point and it isn't good enough.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

The "bubble" had nothing to do with Ross Lyon leaving.

The big question you should ask is how much Nettlefold had in Ross Lyon leaving.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

I can tell before Ross had headed out the door the wheels of opening the club up were in action .. Netters could see that the members were losing the feel that the club was theirs , it was all good to do that while we were playing grand finals but keeping the same policy while in rebuild would see us go the way of the Kangas with membership numbers... Netters also saw Ross Lyons weakness in rebuilding hence why he went out and got Pelch , this would have been a major factor in the falling out between Ross and Netters , it would have been a shot straight to the ego of Lyon that Pelch was brought in to oversee what Ross was doing ... Looking away from the football dept Netters has also installed a strong team in the marketing side of the club the removal of the membership department away from the AFL back to the club control has been a massive improvement .. The focus on fan development has been huge , and recently the focus on bringing back the former players into the culture of St Kilda has been from a big push from him ... Netters is working hard to take this club to a new frontier away from the old St Kilda ways of bungle after bungle after board spill after bungle we have been for years ... I have faith in Netters delivering more than I have any previous adminsistrator of our club ... And let me finish off with this question if Netters is such a boob then who persay should we put in his job who could do better ???

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:The "bubble" had nothing to do with Ross Lyon leaving.

The big question you should ask is how much Nettlefold had in Ross Lyon leaving.
Agreed.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Goddard should go as long as we get some decent draft picks to address our glaring deficiencies and we have some big ones

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Gershwin
Club Player

Firstly I would only offer Goddard a 3 year contract. 4 years is too much for anyone.

First Tier:
Hayes
Riewoldt

Second Tier:
Dal Santo
Fisher
Dempster
Milne
Goddard

Third Tier:
Montagna
Schneider

Then the rest.

I would offer Goddard a contract in line with those in the second tier. I can't imagine they would be getting $600,000 a year.
Both sides may be waiting to see how he finishes in the B&W. I think last year he was about 9th so he needs at least a top 4 finish to argue a strong case.

Pay him according to performance in the last 2 years. Not what he did before that and not what he might do.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Watts the Buzz
Club Player

With regards to BJ, I'd favour $600K x 3 years (think he's worth every cent of that and he could definitely do better in the open market) but if we were to offer a 4th year, must be performance based primarily due to his age.
I'd be doing cartwheels if we managed to get Hickey - based on the games I've seen him play this year, could be anything; he's a super talented up and coming ruckman. I wouldn't offer a first round pick but I'd be tempted to give up a second rounder to get him on board.

defacto
Club Player

dunno how netters could be brought up in a thread about a player that wants to test the waters of free agency solely a football issue. if this is netters problem then why does he employ pelchen. some people need to get a life.

andrewg
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:I can tell before Ross had headed out the door the wheels of opening the club up were in action .. Netters could see that the members were losing the feel that the club was theirs , it was all good to do that while we were playing grand finals but keeping the same policy while in rebuild would see us go the way of the Kangas with membership numbers... Netters also saw Ross Lyons weakness in rebuilding hence why he went out and got Pelch , this would have been a major factor in the falling out between Ross and Netters , it would have been a shot straight to the ego of Lyon that Pelch was brought in to oversee what Ross was doing ... Looking away from the football dept Netters has also installed a strong team in the marketing side of the club the removal of the membership department away from the AFL back to the club control has been a massive improvement .. The focus on fan development has been huge , and recently the focus on bringing back the former players into the culture of St Kilda has been from a big push from him ... Netters is working hard to take this club to a new frontier away from the old St Kilda ways of bungle after bungle after board spill after bungle we have been for years ... I have faith in Netters delivering more than I have any previous adminsistrator of our club ... And let me finish off with this question if Netters is such a boob then who persay should we put in his job who could do better ???

Spot on

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Look I'm all for improving the way footy clubs run but the worst thing for any club is constant upheaval. Solid boards with out in fighting are what keeps the every line of the football club rolling, unless your stuck with a dis-functional board or unsettling scenario it's best to let them see out their tenure. Good clubs have control of footy departments, GT lost the board when he lost communication with them over a personal fight, Ross was apparently heading that way.

Good coaches may win you a premiership but the damage outside of that can cost more than the win gets you- just look at Port Adelaide. Unfortunately we needed more than what Ross provided as a coach. Freo need to harden up their image so Ross being an uncompromising sociopath probably is a marketing boon for them.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I had a very interesting conversation with a respected AFL football manager on Saturday night. (I coach his daughter, and it was the presentation night. I made sure I was seated next to him)

He claims that the saints have been very smart in their negotiations with BJ. Reckons that what BJ wants is over the odds for what any sensible AFL club would offer him. However he believes that it's Essendon that is into him up their eyeballs. The Dees also want him but probably won't be able to afford him. He claimed at his club only 2 players get paid over 600k a year. And his club has a history of being successful......

Also stated that Lenny is the nicest most respected bloke in the AFL - what a surprise 8-)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Hawkers? Probably Hodgey and Buddy over 600 with Mitchell and Cyril just under.

Interesting re Bombers and makes a fair bit of sense if you think about it.

Consensus in media is that Chaplin is going to the Tigers which is a bit of a shame for us but I guess we cant really go after anyone unless BJ is definitely leaving.

If BJ does stay - by god we need to do well with pick 12. Incredibly important draft coming for us. If we get this draft wrong than I think we may be in the doldrums for years to come. Get it right and we get positive momentum and anything can happen.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

ESSENDON is making a strong play for St Kilda's free agent Brendon Goddard and is well-positioned to snare the All-Australian if he opts to leave the Saints.
Sources have confirmed that the Dons have emerged as the major alternative club for Goddard and are prepared to offer a four-year contract. The Saints, thus far, have been willing to offer only a three-year deal, and their offer - made in the last few weeks of St Kilda's season - is thought to be below what Goddard would command from the Bombers.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/b ... z25yyqPfem

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

It's simple, really. Offer Goddard what his actual worth is, based on recent output and probable future output and nothing more. If he accepts it, he accepts it. If not, then we cop it and move on. Our coach has firmly stated that the club 'will not be selling the farm' to keep an individual player at the club. So, if 600k is on the table, that in my view is the the absolute upper range of his value and the club has got it right. As for 4-year contracts, do the names Adam Cooney and Mark Mercuri come to anyone's minds?

If we pay Goddard over his real value, then who next at St Kilda will try and box the club into a corner regarding contract money? This is the dilemma that will face many clubs over the next couple of years. Hold firm Messrs Pelchen, Nettlefold, and Watters and don't sell the farm.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Moods wrote:I had a very interesting conversation with a respected AFL football manager on Saturday night. (I coach his daughter, and it was the presentation night. I made sure I was seated next to him)

He claims that the saints have been very smart in their negotiations with BJ. Reckons that what BJ wants is over the odds for what any sensible AFL club would offer him. However he believes that it's Essendon that is into him up their eyeballs. The Dees also want him but probably won't be able to afford him. He claimed at his club only 2 players get paid over 600k a year. And his club has a history of being successful......

Also stated that Lenny is the nicest most respected bloke in the AFL - what a surprise 8-)
Thanks for posting that Moods. (Great move making sure you were seated next to that bloke. :wink: )

Whilst totally understanding why people on here want to keep BJ, we should not pay overs to do so. I really think that BJ going somewhere else and us getting the salary cap space and (probably) pick 13 for someone his age would be win/win... until he finds out how mentally soft the Effndum are... :wink:

Hold firm Saintas.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
saintly
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:I can tell before Ross had headed out the door the wheels of opening the club up were in action .. Netters could see that the members were losing the feel that the club was theirs , it was all good to do that while we were playing grand finals but keeping the same policy while in rebuild would see us go the way of the Kangas with membership numbers... Netters also saw Ross Lyons weakness in rebuilding hence why he went out and got Pelch , this would have been a major factor in the falling out between Ross and Netters , it would have been a shot straight to the ego of Lyon that Pelch was brought in to oversee what Ross was doing ... Looking away from the football dept Netters has also installed a strong team in the marketing side of the club the removal of the membership department away from the AFL back to the club control has been a massive improvement .. The focus on fan development has been huge , and recently the focus on bringing back the former players into the culture of St Kilda has been from a big push from him ... Netters is working hard to take this club to a new frontier away from the old St Kilda ways of bungle after bungle after board spill after bungle we have been for years ... I have faith in Netters delivering more than I have any previous adminsistrator of our club ... And let me finish off with this question if Netters is such a boob then who persay should we put in his job who could do better ???

Spot on

I agree as well.