Delistings and retirements

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evo
Club Player

Re: Delistings and retirements

I have not seen anything from Ledger that would make me keep him on the list. Maybe Lyon can !

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:I have not seen anything from Ledger that would make me keep him on the list. Maybe Lyon can !
he's barely 20 years old - what are you expecting from him?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote: its one of kosi/blake. not both. leaning towards kozi as fwd/ruck depth if we get a ready made KPD. he should not be playing alot of games next year. if he does were going backwards
I dunno. Blake's pretty versatile and, importantly, he can still run and get the ball even with 200 games under his belt. I'm not sure Kosi can do that.

Blake was preferred first ruck when McEvoy/Stanley went down early in the season ... and performed with distinction.

His form until injury was good; Kosi's for the most part has been horrible.

To me Blake staying on for depth if not the starting team, is a no-brainer.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Blake has to go

Can't play back 1 out
Can't play him forward
And you would not pick him solely as ruck

Geez us .... I think some people want to keep all players till their 60 and pretend somehow they'll do a job with no thought to the future...

Blake taking a starting 22 spot from a kid misses the point of where we are at entirely - Kosi too, should with a fit Stanley, Riewoldt and Wilkes spend most of 2013 at Sandy

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Blake has to go. Blake taking a starting 22 spot from a kid misses the point of where we are at entirely - Kosi too, should with a fit Stanley, Riewoldt and Wilkes spend most of 2013 at Sandy
If it comes to a choice between Kosi and Blake, I'd prefer Blake stayed on. More versatile, mobile, durable ... can even hold his place in a marking contest.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

How are we ever going to improve our list if we keep hold of the same old players?

Royston
Club Player

Teflon wrote:Blake has to go

Can't play back 1 out
Can't play him forward
And you would not pick him solely as ruck

Geez us .... I think some people want to keep all players till their 60 and pretend somehow they'll do a job with no thought to the future...

Blake taking a starting 22 spot from a kid misses the point of where we are at entirely - Kosi too, should with a fit Stanley, Riewoldt and Wilkes spend most of 2013 at Sandy

Spot on....Blake done and dusted, not going to take us forward and even if it is 1 step back to go 2 forward with a Ferguson, Lever, new recruit, traded in player, whoever at least we are looking forward and not in the rear view mirror....

We can't turn-over all of those who aren't 'starting' 22 as depth is also required and a hardened, experienced body will be better short term mid-season solution than a speculative pick 80 in the draft selection. But we must be mindful of the list clogger and in the KP position stakes our list management decisions are crucial.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Read through several sources today that Brett Peake is understood to be leaving the club.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
evo
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
evo wrote:I have not seen anything from Ledger that would make me keep him on the list. Maybe Lyon can !
he's barely 20 years old - what are you expecting from him?
A lot more than I have seen..

spert
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:How are we ever going to improve our list if we keep hold of the same old players?
Agree... quite a few mature players on the list couldn't get us a flag in a multitude of finals appearances and really should be moved on

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

On Blake, the coach has said publicly that our big recruiting priorities are for a big defender and ruck depth.

If we get a couple of kids it will take time and anyone with a mature body we get will likely be a speculative pick ... sort of, "We think he may be able to play as a tall defender/ruck".

Since Blake can play both those roles it wouldn't make a lot of sense to move him on IMO, particularly as his form this season until injury was solid.

The ideal depth player IMO and 200 games to his credit and the admiration of at least two or our past three coaches suggests that he is a better player than some think.

I think we can be contenders as soon as next year if a few things go right and a clubman like Blake in the wings may prove extremely handy.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Teflon wrote:Blake has to go. Blake taking a starting 22 spot from a kid misses the point of where we are at entirely - Kosi too, should with a fit Stanley, Riewoldt and Wilkes spend most of 2013 at Sandy
If it comes to a choice between Kosi and Blake, I'd prefer Blake stayed on. More versatile, mobile, durable ... can even hold his place in a marking contest.
Kosi has a contract, the choice now is between keeping Blake or not.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I know. That's the problem.

We will likely end up with a situation that a player who (on form) probably deserves another year will go and a player who probably doesn't will stay.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 05 Sep 2012 3:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:I know. That's the problem. We will likely end up with a situation that a player who (on form) probably deserves another year will go and a player who probably doesn't will stay.
Blake has been a great servant, I don't want him to go, but I'd say the club is targetting a big defender which probably leaves him vulnerable.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:On Blake, the coach has said publicly that our big recruiting priorities are for a big defender and ruck depth.

If we get a couple of kids it will take time and anyone with a mature body we get will likely be a speculative pick ... sort of, "We think he may be able to play as a tall defender/ruck".

Since Blake can play both those roles it wouldn't make a lot of sense to move him on IMO, particularly as his form this season until injury was solid.

The ideal depth player IMO and 200 games to his credit and the admiration of at least two or our past three coaches suggests that he is a better player than some think.

I think we can be contenders as soon as next year if a few things go right and a clubman like Blake in the wings may prove extremely handy.
That assumes the club aren't targeting a big defender for trade

Also, the coach has publicly said we are probably not a realistic top 4 side for a season or 2 at least,,,, I suspect longer

Do not see the point in keeping Blake if that's the internal view

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Also, the coach has publicly said we are probably not a realistic top 4 side for a season or 2 at least,,,, I suspect longer

It surprises me that the coach thinks that. I beg to differ with him. Perhaps he is just trying to hose down expectations.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Teflon wrote:Also, the coach has publicly said we are probably not a realistic top 4 side for a season or 2 at least,,,, I suspect longer

It surprises me that the coach thinks that. I beg to differ with him. Perhaps he is just trying to hose down expectations.

Well we will be losing 2 once in a generation players in the next year or two so they cant be replaced. Also Rooy could be in trouble and Joey, Dal and Chips will not improve and could go backwards. None of those players are really replaceable by our current list. I cant see how we can challenge. I think he is being honest.

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

we will not be top 4 when we are loosing Roo, Lenny, Milney and Joey

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Sick Nal Danto wrote:we will not be top 4 when we are loosing Roo, Lenny, Milney and Joey
+ Dal & Fisher
This point seems to be lost on most people.
In 2 years we will probably have none of those 6 players which = bottom 4 IMO

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Sick Nal Danto wrote:we will not be top 4 when we are loosing Roo, Lenny, Milney and Joey
+ Dal & Fisher
Not necessarily bottom four when there are so many other crap teams around. If we recruit and draft really well, we may be just out of the eight, but not positions 14-18

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
dragit wrote:
+ Dal & Fisher
Not necessarily bottom four when there are so many other crap teams around. If we recruit and draft really well, we may be just out of the eight, but not positions 14-18
In 2 years time, the teams that are crap now, probably aren't going to be crap anymore. Gold Coast & GWS will probably have more talented players than any other side, they are just a few years away from showing it. Richmond and Brisbane are definitely building good sides, the Dogs have some exciting FS picks coming through, The dees… well who knows when they are going to start winning, but it will happen - they'll have a good amount of top 5 pick players which is a good start.

We always get excited about our own players potential, but we don't spend much time considering how much the other sides will improve too. The team is completely held together by six 29-32 year olds, when they are gone we are really going to struggle (and then we build again).

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Not looking so great is it when you replace stars like Roo, Hayes and co with good but not exactly stars in Armo, Steven and Simpkin??

It's why IMHO the club has to see what we can get for BJ... truth be told.... probably even more than just BJ.... That's if we want to try and replenish sooner rather than later with next batch of star quality

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I love the Blake but with our current list of medium defenders - Gwilt, Gilbert, Simpkin, Fisher, Dempster, Gram, Siposs (plus winmar and webster) - you have to wonder if there is room for another one. Club legend. Has an incredible run without injuries. Salute his efforts but probably has to go. If Kosi wasnt contracted I think I would prefer to keep the Blake than the Kos.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Well we will be losing 2 once in a generation players in the next year or two so they cant be replaced. Also Rooy could be in trouble and Joey, Dal and Chips will not improve and could go backwards. None of those players are really replaceable by our current list. I cant see how we can challenge. I think he is being honest.
They are all still there next year, though, aren't they?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

They are all still there next year, though, aren't they?

So you honestly think we could make the top 4 next year? We lost to every side in the 8 and only beat one side in the 8. Our stars are older and our stars still win the games for us.