Clinton Jones

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Clinton Jones

bobmurray wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:
Polo, McQualter and Peake were match-hardened, experienced players and they were discarded lightly
Yes...... but the reality is they were fairly ordinary players at AFL level...they needed to be dumped if the club was seriously contemplating success..
Honestly I see Jones in the same category. He was a fairly effective tagger in 2009 and early 2010 but has been overwhelmingly mediocre since then. He obviously trains hard and does all the right things at the club, I just don't think he contributes enough on match day and realistically, his best football is behind him.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:[Jones] obviously trains hard and does all the right things at the club, I just don't think he contributes enough on match day and realistically, his best football is behind him.
CJ is quick, hard at the footy and first rate defensively. Yes, he has a glaring weakness, but I think he's shown over the course of his career that he can be a handy contributor anyway. He can still tag and if anybody out there wants a tagger, I'm sure they'll look at Jones. I think he's done here, but that's as much about our coach coming from a school that favours head-to-head matchups over tags. Unfortunately for Clint, there are a huge number of Malthouse disciples in senior coaching positions.

I hope he does get picked up, but Dal probably doesn't.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Polo, McQualter and Peake were match-hardened, experienced players and they were discarded lightly

I think he's got a bit on them. For one thing he's been a starting 22 player for five years.

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

He will have to be pretty good next year, to retain a spot