Contracts talks are open with BJ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Contracts talks are open with BJ...

bigcarl wrote:
SaintPav wrote:It's pretty obvious that BJ is clearly out of form and his confidence is down. Could be injury, adjsuting to a new role or whatever. I wish people on this site would support our players instead of bagging them the first opportunity they get. I really dislike supporters who do that, especially at games. It doesn't help and puts more pressure on the player. I guess some people just want their piece of flesh.

Anyway, the way some people talk it's like they have never had a bad day, week, month at work.

BJ will find his place again and he will string a couple of good games together and the same morons who have been bagging him will come out and say how much they love him and what a super star he is...you friggin tossers.
Agree with this post. The bloke is a gun just having a bit of a slump. Form is temporary, class is permanent. He'll be back
I aggree, class is permanant. IMO, and it's an opinion only because let's face it, following footy is about getting your pound of flesh, that Goddards problem has been more "above the shoulders" than anything else. AGAIN, I stress it's only my opion and until this site is turned into something other than a FAN FORUM where punters can come and get their pound of flesh I will continue to offer my ill informed opinion. Yes that is right. I put my hand up. I've never played AFL at the elite level so most of what I say is just opionion.

Back on topic, I like a lot of other supporters I mingle with, and even a few in the media have been saying that Goddard hasn't been the same since GF2. Some have even gone as far to say that he had arrived at the realisation after GF2 that he would never play in a premiership (with the Saints). SO! I aggree that it is possible "he'll be back", it's just a question of when or for which club. Time will tell and in the mean time we will continue to be entertained by the sub plot that is Goddards signature.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
SaintPav wrote:It's pretty obvious that BJ is clearly out of form and his confidence is down. Could be injury, adjsuting to a new role or whatever. I wish people on this site would support our players instead of bagging them the first opportunity they get. I really dislike supporters who do that, especially at games. It doesn't help and puts more pressure on the player. I guess some people just want their piece of flesh.

Anyway, the way some people talk it's like they have never had a bad day, week, month at work.

BJ will find his place again and he will string a couple of good games together and the same morons who have been bagging him will come out and say how much they love him and what a super star he is...you friggin tossers.
Oh like "your" way of supporting the club (which is based on idolisation and never questioning a performance) is THE only way we should all support the club???

There's only 1 tosser here pal - get off your friggin self righteous high horse and grab a mirror you mini Napoleon.
I'll support the club any way I want to.

Sticking up for a player and the team makes me a mini Napolean...that's hilarious... :roll: It's called a form slum and it happens but the bleeding obvious needs pointing out to some but not living up to your name so I see you're in a form slump yourself Teflon.

BTW, you're not my pal but you do sound simple Teflon.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

suss wrote:
bergholt wrote:
suss wrote:There are teams that would happily pay $800k for the services of this 'degrading' player. Either you're being silly or are silly.
if he can get $800k elsewhere then we should let him go with our blessing. but what we shouldn't do is pay him over the odds.
I agree, but I think we can keep him for $600k and I think he'll take a $200k haircut to stay and i think that's a fair result for all parties. With Roo going on the vets list next year a can't see why BJ can't be paid $600k as our marquee player.

What I absolutely I loath are stupid and offensive comments from people who don't realize a) just how good some players are and b) just how hard it is to get elite players.

One poster in this thread once described BJ and Reiwoldt a 'cancer' at the club. Another silly little knucklehead just had the audacity to call BJ 'slow and degrading'. This from 'supporters'. :roll:

We could trade BJ but the reality is we might only get a first round pick and for that we risk getting a Jack Watts.
Yes and that same poster implied I can't be objective - yet he also once called Goddard a 'Princess' (as well as what you wrote above, which I'm not repeating) how objective would that make any of his comments on Goddard now ? Go Figure :shock:

Stand your ground :shock:
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
suss wrote:
I agree, but I think we can keep him for $600k and I think he'll take a $200k haircut to stay and i think that's a fair result for all parties. With Roo going on the vets list next year a can't see why BJ can't be paid $600k as our marquee player.

What I absolutely I loath are stupid and offensive comments from people who don't realize a) just how good some players are and b) just how hard it is to get elite players.

One poster in this thread once described BJ and Reiwoldt a 'cancer' at the club. Another silly little knucklehead just had the audacity to call BJ 'slow and degrading'. This from 'supporters'. :roll:

We could trade BJ but the reality is we might only get a first round pick and for that we risk getting a Jack Watts.
Yes and that same poster implied I can't be objective - yet he also once called Goddard a 'Princess' (as well as what you wrote above, which I'm not repeating) how objective would that make any of his comments on Goddard now ? Go Figure :shock:
How are those stat sheets going right in front of you? Have you found an answer to why the coach would like BJ to win more of his own ball and also why we are 2nd on the ladder for contested possession yet sitting 10th on the ladder. How about you reply with one of those stupid embarrassed or shocked emoticons. That will do me princess.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

interrupted pre season??

getting tired??

:?:

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:interrupted pre season??

getting tired??

stop typing or get keyboard fit then.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Oh like "your" way of supporting the club (which is based on idolisation and never questioning a performance) is THE only way we should all support the club???

There's only 1 tosser here pal - get off your friggin self righteous high horse and grab a mirror you mini Napoleon.
I'll support the club any way I want to.

Sticking up for a player and the team makes me a mini Napolean...that's hilarious... :roll: It's called a form slum and it happens but the bleeding obvious needs pointing out to some but not living up to your name so I see you're in a form slump yourself Teflon.

BTW, you're not my pal but you do sound simple Teflon.
I'm never pals with populist flogs who pretend that only "their" opinion fights to stand up for the club.... what utter self absorbed drivel is that?

It's a forum I am in no doubt Goddard or any player doesnt need you "defending" on the friggin Internet !

Maybe I am in a " form slump" or maybe a forum where each persons opinion is somehow not valid to the righteous flogs who besmirch them as "tosser" really means its a "forum slum"?

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Maybe I am in a " form slump"
Maybe? :)

battye
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:interrupted pre season??

getting tired??

You'll feel better on Swisse.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

I'm never pals with populist flogs who pretend that only "their" opinion fights to stand up for the club.... what utter self absorbed drivel is that?
What the hell are you talking about? You're confused..amongst other things.

Teflon wrote: It's a forum I am in no doubt Goddard or any player doesnt need you "defending" on the friggin Internet !
Maybe I am in a " form slump" or maybe a forum where each persons opinion is somehow not valid to the righteous flogs who besmirch them as "tosser" really means its a "forum slum"? [/quote]

Oh, how cute are you...NOT...That's not what I said or meant and I have written plenty of posts about the St Kilda FC and not all of it has been flattering. Perhaps I should just start bagging the crap out of every single St Kilda player on the list..might keep the likes of you happy and I won't be so populist...because aresh#les like you like to revel in their own pathetic miserable lives abd bring every one else down with them....

However, I did mention morons and tossers and you did respond to that I might say...you actually did...not the first time either Teflon boy.. :D

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

I reckon Goddard took the GF near-misses harder than any other player and it's more of a mental problem. He will start playing good footy again. If Geelong kept all their blokes to fair contracts then we need to be able to find a way.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Oh, how cute are you...NOT...That's not what I said or meant and I have written plenty of posts about the St Kilda FC and not all of it has been flattering. Perhaps I should just start bagging the crap out of every single St Kilda player on the list..might keep the likes of you happy and I won't be so populist...because aresh#les like you like to revel in their own pathetic miserable lives abd bring every one else down with them....

However, I did mention morons and tossers and you did respond to that I might say...you actually did...not the first time either Teflon boy.. :D
Settle down person, all Ive done is call out what a w@nker you are for telling the rest of the forum how we should all strive to defend the honour and integrity of the club and its players in the same pathetic, self righteous manner that you claim to....on the internet no less.

Thanks to you "superman" we'll all sleep a little easier tonight...I mean, with you watching over our "internet lives" defending us (and the players) against the terrible pitfalls found on an .............internet footy fan forum.........what could possibly go wrong???

Get a mirror. Look at yourself (leave clothing..its a nice change..) and realise the world doesnt revolve around you princess and if someone else on a footy forum has a differing view to your trumped up "defender of the faith" trash, suck it up and accept that.

I am cute btw.

You on the other hand, are just a person.

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I had thought BJ was off due to the way he was talking...

...but in the couple of interviews I have seen this week he is acting a lot more committed to staying a Saint.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I had thought BJ was off due to the way he was talking...

...but in the couple of interviews I have seen this week he is acting a lot more committed to staying a Saint.
if i was cynical, i'd say he has nothing to lose be saying he's committed, even if he's not. if he stays everyone's happy. if he ends up leaving then it looks like the club did the wrong thing.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

is there even any indication/evidence anyone else even wants him or has even made him an offer?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:is there even any indication/evidence anyone else even wants him or has even made him an offer?
he has a manager. unless his manager's completely useless, he will have had informal conversations with every club in the comp, because every club in the comp would take goddard at the right price. (same goes for most players.) they all "want" him, it's just that each club has a different price they're willing to pay. they don't have to make a formal offer, just give his manager an indication of how much they think he's worth. and i'm sure they've all done that.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:is there even any indication/evidence anyone else even wants him or has even made him an offer?
he has a manager. unless his manager's completely useless, he will have had informal conversations with every club in the comp, because every club in the comp would take goddard at the right price. (same goes for most players.) they all "want" him, it's just that each club has a different price they're willing to pay. they don't have to make a formal offer, just give his manager an indication of how much they think he's worth. and i'm sure they've all done that.

I know every club would want him. but some players they really go after - and some they sit back and only push it if they get an indication from player mger that he is not happy where he is and would consider a move. that doesnt seem to be happening with bj. seems more like hes committed to saints just haggling over details.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

ST KILDA is yet to put a formal offer to Brendon Goddard for a new contract.

If this is surprising, there is an explanation. In short, both parties have been keeping their options open.

Goddard has put on record more than once his desire to remain with the Saints and to play out his days with them. The club says it wishes to keep him. There has been no breakdown in talks, or impasse.

Unlike Travis Cloke, whose management has been hawking him to various clubs, in an apparent bid to gain leverage with Collingwood, Goddard has not tested the market. His manager, the discreet Dan Richardson of Elite Sports Properties, has talked only to St Kilda.

Given those set of favourable circumstances, it is curious that he has not been re-contracted by round 19.

St Kilda fans, and those of clubs which might covet the gifted Goddard, are entitled to wonder whether he is certain of staying with the Saints.

As a restricted free agent, he can be purloined by the club of his choice if the Saints don't match that offer.

Why the delay? Firstly, Goddard did not want to talk about a new deal until he had settled into the season and seen the landscape of the new St Kilda. Goddard, who flourished under Ross Lyon, wished to see how the Saints functioned under Scott Watters and his coaching team; he had to see the shape of the program before committing.

Richardson reiterated last night that Goddard's wish was to stay with St Kilda, but would not comment further on Goddard's contractual situation. The Saints, too, were silent. Until now, they have been blessed to stay under the cover of the Cloke imbroglio.

The Saints waited for Goddard; now, Goddard is waiting for them.

The All-Australian publicly indicated his wish to be a Sainter for life several weeks ago. The Saints, while wishing to keep him, clearly were mindful of their salary cap position - which has been tight as a drum - and of the need to impose some austerity on their player payments regime, for the future's sake.

It is fair to say that while the Saints want Goddard, they don't want him at an exorbitant price.

There is also little downside for them, if he was to source a serious offer. They can always match it. Or, if they like the notion of getting a first-round pick - usable any time in the next few years - they can decide not to match the terms.

Goddard is understood to be paid in the $550,000 range this year, the last of a three-year contract that was signed late in 2009. At 27, with a sound body, he is the most marketable of the club's senior players.

The odds always favour incumbency in contract negotiations, and, thus far, no club - not even Lyon's Dockers - have pushed for Goddard. Each party wants the marriage to be continued. The question is, on what terms? Given that vows have been exchanged but the book hasn't been signed, there must be slight doubt about the relationship continuing.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/n ... z22XMjQhq2

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

It worries me that he hasn't signed by now. Other high profile players have been signed and recent history tells us that those who hold out, or haven't signed by this stage of the season, are probably on the move. I hope BJ signs soon and stays a saint for life, but I can't help thinking about the way Ablett, Ward, Scully et al went about it.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It worries me that Saints STILL haven't made him an offer

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:It worries me that Saints STILL haven't made him an offer
I usually don't like reading into things too much but something may be cooking here.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Talk about waiting to see the landscape of the new St Kilda. Maybe he's waiting see how the team can go against a real flag contender late in the season.

Tonights game is for the 'Goddard Cup'

Junior
Club Player

I would suggest that maybe we might like to see how Goddard goes against quality opposition.

Needs to really start impacting games, not just getting loose kicks behind play.

On their season to date , I would rank the following ahead of him or equal to him, and I am sure he will be expecting to get paid better than most of these.

Steven
Hayes
MOntagna
Riewoldt
Dempster
Fisher
Dal Santo
Milne

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

Settle down person, all Ive done is call out what a w@nker you are for telling the rest of the forum how we should all strive to defend the honour and integrity of the club and its players in the same pathetic, self righteous manner that you claim to....on the internet no less.

Thanks to you "superman" we'll all sleep a little easier tonight...I mean, with you watching over our "internet lives" defending us (and the players) against the terrible pitfalls found on an .............internet footy fan forum.........what could possibly go wrong???

Get a mirror. Look at yourself (leave clothing..its a nice change..) and realise the world doesnt revolve around you princess and if someone else on a footy forum has a differing view to your trumped up "defender of the faith" trash, suck it up and accept that.

I am cute btw.

You're an arrogant d!ckhead Teflon. Other posters have told me that too. Take a look at your sig you stupid little man.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Teflon wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

I am cute btw.

You're an arrogant d!ckhead Teflon. Other posters have told me that too. Take a look at your sig you stupid little man.
actually i think he is spot on.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."