Montagna rubbed out for 2

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Middo
Club Player

Re: Montagna rubbed out for 2

saintspremiers wrote:Looking at the footage, he's guilty as sin.

Off the ball, no accident.

But was it medium or low impact is the real issue?

IMO it was low impact...that would reduce it to one week with the priors and loadings.

Prob not worth trying to take it on on that basis....you either try and get it chucked out
or cop it on the chin.

Yeah mate ....

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I was right.

Suck s*** to those who weren't.

Glee.

:)

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I know people will disagree but it proves the system works. Even though a few on here had a go at me I said if he wasnt guilty he would get off which he has. There have been 3 this year already. The MVP do the charges on the film available and then it is up to the clubs to prove innocence which we have on this occasion.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Frankie wrote:I don't think Joey has really contributed much in the past month of footy. Used to be our inside 50 king.
While I agree that he isn't playing his best football, he is still trying, still contributing and is 2nd for inside 50's… so nowhere near being dropped for mine. Roo isn't playing amazing either, but I wouldn't be dropping him either.

Glad Joey got off, looked like an accident to me, I reckon the Curnow one was a little unlucky last year, ran into a pack after sprinting 50 Metres and lightly tapped a guy that happened to be injured. Don't think he would have done it if he'd known how injured curnow was, was a minor split second error that proved pretty costly…

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I know people will disagree but it proves the system works. Even though a few on here had a go at me I said if he wasnt guilty he would get off which he has. There have been 3 this year already. The MVP do the charges on the film available and then it is up to the clubs to prove innocence which we have on this occasion.
And for that I'm thankful.

But on the basis of the film how on earth could it get this far?

Magner OBVIOUSLY slung him. There was no time for anything malicious on Montagna's part. Magner's action was causative. It had to be accidental/incidental contact. Could be nothing else.

And yet Taylor Walker makes no attempt to extract the ball with his hands, dives - no - JUMPS knees first into the head of Surjan and nothing at all happens.

The system has worked for us in this instance. But it clearly can't be said to be working.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I know people will disagree but it proves the system works. Even though a few on here had a go at me I said if he wasnt guilty he would get off which he has. There have been 3 this year already. The MVP do the charges on the film available and then it is up to the clubs to prove innocence which we have on this occasion.
And for that I'm thankful.

But on the basis of the film how on earth could it get this far?

Magner OBVIOUSLY slung him. There was no time for anything malicious on Montagna's part. Magner's action was causative. It had to be accidental/incidental contact. Could be nothing else.

And yet Taylor Walker makes no attempt to extract the ball with his hands, dives - no - JUMPS knees first into the head of Surjan and nothing at all happens.

The system has worked for us in this instance. But it clearly can't be said to be working.

Walker had a clean record which saved him. If it was like Joeys he may have got 2 weeks. People have said speak to players before charging but that wouldnt work as it would take forever and players lie. This sytem get about 90% that dont challenge and that means we dont have full tribunal hearings that would go on and on under the old system.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

IMO it was low impact...that would reduce it to one week with the priors and loadings.

Prob not worth trying to take it on on that basis....you either try and get it chucked out
or cop it on the chin.

Maybe you thought Montagna was 'guilty as sin' because he is Italian.

Big chance that actually....

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

The fact that the case was "withdrawn" and not run and adjudicated on says a lot to me about the integrity of the initial MRP decision on this - when the crunch came, they were not prepared to have their decision tested ! It's not a good look for the MRP. No doubt they will claim that "other evidence" came to light.

Middo
Club Player

Blow ya own trumpet .... :roll:
Sometimes it's best to say nothing ..!!! :wink:

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

It shows that it works with intervention only!

The fact is that the MRP should never have come up with the intial assessment in the first place!
Nor should they have come up with the charges against Whitecross, Thomas and Johnson!
If I'd made these basic errors with the same frequency in my line of work, I'd be unemployable!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:

The fact is that the MRP should never have come up with the intial assessment in the first place!
Nor should they have come up with the charges against Whitecross, Thomas and Johnson!
If I'd made these basic errors with the same frequency in my line of work, I'd be unemployable!

So what if we just had a tribunal and they came up with same results. We would have no where to go then apart from appeal and they are nearly impossible to overturn. You have to remember one system is done on video only so they have no other intervention. Considering that they get plenty right usually. This year they have struggled early though.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote: The MVP do the charges on the film available and then it is up to the clubs to prove innocence which we have on this occasion.
Why is Chris Judd doing this :shock: :P :shock:

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:

So what if we just had a tribunal and they came up with same results. We would have no where to go then apart from appeal and they are nearly impossible to overturn. You have to remember one system is done on video only so they have no other intervention. Considering that they get plenty right usually. This year they have struggled early though.
I am not calling for the body to be removed...only the bodies within it to be replaced (or educated)!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

or cop it on the chin.

They come over here, take our jobs, kick our footballs around…

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:

They certainly have (struggled early).
The overall system works you are quite right.

The question remains, how did Joey get cited for striking, when the impact was obscured and he was helpd to the ground by the player.
I thought one of the selling points of this system was that players who had played the game would be in a better position to judge....

Moods
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Spinner wrote:

or cop it on the chin.

They come over here, take our jobs, kick our footballs around…

Heh heh heh. Very good. :lol:

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:Farout, I thought it looked accidental…

Plenty have been asking for him to be dropped will be pleased no doubt.

Well if it is accidental they will challenge as he cant get anymore weeks. And if it accidental and we have smart people in charge he will get off. If he doesnt we either have dumb people helping our club or he is guilty.
Accidental? Magner had to go off under the blood rule. Looked like a jumper punch that went too far. Joey needs a decent foot up the bum for getting himself into that situation !!
Well, it looks like I got this one horribly wrong BUT I'm not the MRP/AFL. How could they give a player 3 weeks then without any hearing throw the charge out?

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Middo
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Some people wil never admit wrong and some still put a negative spin !

GOLD ....! :lol:

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote: How could they give a player 3 weeks then without any hearing throw the charge out?
Fat ed pumped it up as a croc of s*** this morning. My first thoughts were..joey gets off/ goes to collingwad next year.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't always the case becuase the appeals process was so inflxible...

Also, Roo should never have been suspended against Adelaide last year..that was a joke.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
Eastern wrote: How could they give a player 3 weeks then without any hearing throw the charge out?
Fat ed pumped it up as a croc of s*** this morning. My first thoughts were..joey gets off/ goes to collingwad next year.
On current form would struggle to get in Collingwood's midfield'
Unless he's foxing to lower his value :o

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!