As bad a decision as Luke Ball GF !

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Re: As bad a decision as Luke Ball GF !

at least Watters was man enough to admit it was a mistake, cudos for that, it wouldnt have happened previously.
just wondering if joffaboy will man up enough

Seeya
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:FWIW, I thought Polo was a good sub. Yes, his kicking is not flash but he's a utility and these days a genuine hard-nosed player. I think people over look that with him and also the value of that to a side. He's a tough nasty little cookie!

Agree he's a c%$# of a bloke on the field just bumps into them hard when shepherding, tackle heavily and will crunch and elbow at every opportunity. He's got that mongrel into his game that Richmond fans said he didn't have. For me Polo and Geary look like they have had a realisation of where their footy might be heading. Gears had an ordinary game last night but hopefully he get's it back next week.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Can't understand those bagging Polo as the Sub.

Forecast was for late rain, and you can bet the club had more accurate info than what we get from the BOM.

Polo plays well in the wet, and has a hard body and lots of grunt. Just what you want in wet conditions. His performance once he came on 100% confirmed that it was the tight call.

Only real discussion is, who he should have subbed out for. Watters has in part covered that.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The best use of a sub, has been an impact offensive player, who comes on when players are tired and takes advantage of their inability to defend fresh legs....

What tactical advantage did Polo give us???

Of all senior players on our list..... I would rate him the least logical choice...

Peake, Cripps, Ledger, Siposs, Ross, Saad all have offensive capabilities.... I would use Schnieder also in his first senior game back, clever player

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:The best use of a sub, has been an impact offensive player, who comes on when players are tired and takes advantage of their inability to defend fresh legs....

What tactical advantage did Polo give us???
I assume from that, that you are unfamiliar with "wet weather football" ?

= he plays well in the wet....and has a mature strong body that will go well in such conditions. Is good at contested ball and pack work that are likely to abound late in wet games.
BigMart wrote:
Of all senior players on our list..... I would rate him the least logical choice...

Peake, Cripps, Ledger, Siposs, Ross, Saad all have offensive capabilities.... I would use Schneider also in his first senior game back, clever player
Polo was what required for the conditions faced on Sat night. Ledger is the only one from your list that would have most suited as well, but Polo has a harder body.

Schneider not available.

Club got in right with the choice of Sub.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

SR

Remember, gone are the days of the mud heaps and wet weather actually slowing the game down, it doesn't close the gap between good and bad....and in many cases widens it....bad players struggle more. What wet weather does do is place a greater emphasis on intent and attitude due to the ball being on the deck more

Their is a common misconception that wet weather football is suited to only in and under players and players with strong bodies. Wet weather footy, is still footy and the truth is, players with more skill cope with greasy and difficult conditions better and it's often seen that classy players big or small thrive in the wet.....Schnieder is a great example

Why would Saad, a small dangerous fwd with exceptional speed, Siposs, who handles a wet ball like its dry, and can break a play open, Ross and inside strong body, cripps a runner who can create separation, Peake ditto.....why can't they play in the wet???

What offensive impact did Polo have as a sub??

kalsaint
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Oh for goodness sake guys.

It was actually the perfect decision.

The last quarter was always going to be full of stoppages, holding on for dear life, contested footy....Polo was just what was needed.

Did you honestly think it was going to pretty?
All the more reason Gilbert should have been taken off. He wasnt touching it or adding any value to the team in the first half. Yes there were others who werent playing to specs but Gilbert was poorest at half time.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:SR

Remember, gone are the days of the mud heaps and wet weather actually slowing the game down,
Who is talking mud-heaps?

I am talking about modern wet-weather football. Tactics are different than on a dry-day....and if you think not I am amazed.

andrewg
Club Player

the harder decision is to play Wilkes infront of Kosi. When coaching for Claremont, Watter dropped the presidents son in the GF and they went on to win. He makes tough choices so we are in good hands ladies and gents

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:FWIW, I thought Polo was a good sub. Yes, his kicking is not flash but he's a utility and these days a genuine hard-nosed player. I think people over look that with him and also the value of that to a side. He's a tough nasty little cookie!
I dont think Ive read anyone question bringing Polo on.
The question is who he was bought on for.

“Yeah….nah””
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:
Their is a common misconception that wet weather football is suited to only in and under players and players with strong bodies. Wet weather footy, is still footy and the truth is, players with more skill cope with greasy and difficult conditions better and it's often seen that classy players big or small thrive in the wet.
In that case please explain how the Demons rabble pushed us to the limit? Oh, I forgot about all their classy players.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
kalsaint
Club Player

BigMart wrote:9 touches eh....

All would have been silk too..... So he came on fresh half way through the third, when there were a lot of tired bodies and got 9 touches in 45 minutes....

There only real score came from a Polo error when he failed to clear or kill the ball on the boundary and Bartrem kicked a nice goal.

Two mistakes were made

1 - making a run with GOP the sub
2 - subbing off the most likely looking key fwd on the ground, Wilkes presence was critical

Would have subbed off
Goddard, cripps, Gilbert, Blake or Gram..... For ledger, Siposs, Newnes or Ross..... Who should be the subs

Poor Call

Has coached poorly last two games
As Ross would say we dont need to play the kindergarden. We certainly needed more solid bodies in the conditions last Saturday when trying to arrest the dominance in clearances. Melbourne had won that generally until half time. Kids generally dont do the job in this regard. Polo coming on was a need. Yes he got 9 possesions and many disposals weren't gems but guess what, not many shined in that regard. He protected players and created opening for others. Thats his role and specialty.

On form Gilbert was poorest at the time of the sub and he should have gone.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: All our top players struggled , subbing wilkes is stuff all in the scheme of things, the whole side needs a mental refresh.
Trip to the movies or a weekend at Bonnie Doon?

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Maybe a party at Gram's place!
we all know the last one went off with a bang!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

A mistake. Big deal. A first year coach will make many as will every coach. As long as he learns who caresas we won. If we had lost it may matter more.