Saints delistings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
elizabethr wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
gringo wrote:
saintbob wrote:This is so typical, faced with hard decisions this club continually takes the easy way out.

Delisting kids, who are mostly likely on minimum match payments, does F@&K ALL to relieve the salary cap problems we have.

Instead we keep under performing and over paid list cloggers!!!
Who are these list cloggers? The irony is that now
lyon has gone the idea that we have a mass of unskilled players is still going. The list was good enough to go close to two premierships but is filled with cloggers? Coaches only get you so far, these guys were good enough then and with some talent coming in should still be a good team.
WE NEARLY WON 2 FLAGS COS OUR TOP 10 ARE SO DARN GOOD.
Surely the sides we played in the GF had as good if not better top 10 than ours.
Without doubt this is true.
no doubt they had a batter second 10.
How then did we get so close?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: no doubt they had a batter second 10.
Yep, and they grilled us.
:lol: :lol:

croc media is just that - a croc.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
elizabethr wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
gringo wrote:
saintbob wrote:This is so typical, faced with hard decisions this club continually takes the easy way out.

Delisting kids, who are mostly likely on minimum match payments, does F@&K ALL to relieve the salary cap problems we have.

lyon has gone the idea that we have a mass of unskilled players is still going. The list was good enough to go close to two premierships but is filled with cloggers? Coaches only get you so far, these guys were good enough then and with some talent coming in should still be a good team.
Surely the sides we played in the GF had as good if not better top 10 than ours.
Kind of pointless argument but…
I'd say we had a better top 10 than both Geelong and the Pies at the time, but they both had a much better next 11-22, which in the end, being a team game and all, meant they won.

I don't think any of Eddy, McQualter, Jones, Blake, Gardiner, Dempster (at the time), Peake, Kosi, Dawson & Clarke could have squeezed into either the Geelong or Collingwood sides for those GF's. The fact that we were so close says that out top players are that good.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
elizabethr wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
gringo wrote:

I'd say we had a better top 10 than both Geelong and the Pies at the time, but they both had a much better next 11-22, which in the end, being a team game and all, meant they won.

I don't think any of Eddy, McQualter, Jones, Blake, Gardiner, Dempster (at the time), Peake, Kosi, Dawson & Clarke could have squeezed into either the Geelong or Collingwood sides for those GF's. The fact that we were so close says that out top players are that good.
We have a vg top 6 or which is probably as good as the Cats but it's all debatable. It was the sum of the parts that got us so close and coaching including game plan and team structure have a lot to do with that even though people do not want to admit that.

The fact that ten players (a matter of opinion) can't get a gig begs the question on how we nearly bridged the gap twice. To me that says, the bloke in the box had a lot to do with this.
Last edited by SaintPav on Mon 24 Oct 2011 8:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
elizabethr wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
gringo wrote:

We have a vg top 6 or which is probably as good as the Cats but it's all debatable. It was the sum of the parts that got us so close and coaching including game plan and team structure have a lot to do with that even though people do not want to admit that.
Gardi was much better than Mark Blake and CJ would have probably found a way in as well. Kosi in 09 was better than Hawkins and possible Mooney.
Agree that Ross deserves much of the credit.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Back on topic.

There are 5 names that have been mentioned quite a bit yet we have heard NOTHING OFFICIAL from the club. It looks like they are staying true to their word when they said that any announcement on de-listings would probably be in the last couple of days before the 31 October deadline !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: We have a vg top 6 or which is probably as good as the Cats but it's all debatable. It was the sum of the parts that got us so close and coaching including game plan and team structure have a lot to do with that even though people do not want to admit that.
Totally agree about the coaching and structures, its' the reason so many ordinary players were taken so far…

The Cats top 6 and our top 6 probably are a debatable topic, however what isn't debatable is our bottom 6 or so versus the Cats and pies from both 09 & 10. The last 6 Geelong players would walk into any other side I reckon.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Back on topic.

There are 5 names that have been mentioned quite a bit yet we have heard NOTHING OFFICIAL from the club. It looks like they are staying true to their word when they said that any announcement on de-listings would probably be in the last couple of days before the 31 October deadline !!
God you're in love with Netters and Ghostaway it seems!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Which means more threads like this and speculation all week. :shock:

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:

God you're in love with Netters and Ghostaway it seems!
Just enjoying that it's St Kilda running the St Kilda Agenda. Also, that statement was made by Chris Pelchen !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Re: Saints delistings - OFFICIAL

plugger66 wrote:
saintlee wrote:
saintly wrote:
thirty-seven!? wrote:Ryan Gamble
Al Smith
Nick Heyne
Will Johnson
Paul Cahill...

All youth... Surpring and somewhat worrying. Shame to see Smith go IMO. Will get picked up by another club.
how does any of this help the salary cap?
Maybe the salary cap issue is not that bad...also, there could be more delistings...
I reckon that last part of your statement is right. One of the mid range players will be delisted or work. Could even be 2.
Is it time to delist Blake...???

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
No!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
sainterinsydney
Club Player

Wait till club gives the official word. Remember the papers had Richardson as our coach--signed, sealed and delivered.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:
No!
Especially because there is every chance Dawson could still walk if not enough $ to go around.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
The Redeemer wrote: Is it time to delist Blake...???
No!
Especially because there is every chance Dawson could still walk if not enough $ to go around.
yeah, definitely. and because if mcevoy gets injured then we'll be in a bit of trouble in the ruck, and at least we know jb can fill that spot.

the only reason he'd go is because he's got a good option outside footy - a real job with prospects etc, including a solid salary. but we should be able to pay him $150k-$200k for his final year and get good service from him, not to mention getting him to his 200th game.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:
No!
He can contribute and can play on for one more year.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
shmic_s
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:
No!
Definately no.
With low ruck stocks and Gwilt out for the first part of the year, he is a required player for sure.

To the top
SS Life Member

Blake is best suited to a "spare" defender role - as evidenced when Fisher was out and Blake filled his role very well - but still missed Brownlow votes!

Simply, it is between Fisher and Blake for that role - and Fisher wins hands down.

Blake as a ruckman?

Just goes to show how far we have progressed since the Thomas days - absent the recruitment of King and Gardiner and the drafting of McEvoy.

Blake is not a ruckman.

Our only rucking options are McEvoy and Koschitzke as the back up (a role that Koschitzke is best suited to because it allows him to read the play and go to the contest).

Stanley at a pinch - but my view is that Stanley will not stake his claim to a consistent spot in the side as a ruckman.

In looking at the future, I am one (probably the only one!) who would firstly and foremostly look at the plus 30 year olds - then the likes of Gamble, Geary and Polo.

In other words, the "top ups" we have recruited from other clubs under Lyon and a Rookie List promotion who does not have the tools (as Eddy did not).

And the 30 year plus brigade includes ..........

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: I never comment on team selection because I have no idea of the roles they want people to play or injuries or other things that we dont know about. people thought because of that I thought RL was great. It will be same under Watters. they have all the facts and we have none. Matter of fact most people here want players to come into the side that they havent even seen play. it is laughable what some people want and say.

And I still contand that we may not have given all these players huge amounts of games but if they were any good they would be kept or piocked up by another club.
I know u never commented on it, but I'm asking you separately. What do you think of our selection over the last 2 years.

My next question is that if Gardiner and Hayes weren't injured hypothetically speaking... there's a chance that McEvoy and Steven would not have had break out years...
they improved after a sustained period of getting games.
If they hadn't played this year, and were cut/traded... would u say tha if they were any good we would have kept them? I know there's no point answering that as it's all hypotheticals... but don't you ever have your OWN impressions/opinions of whether or not players will make it?

ThePunter
Club Player

I think you'll find it would have been Dean Polo who would have suffered because of the presence of Lenny Hayes.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

ThePunter wrote:I think you'll find it would have been Dean Polo who would have suffered because of the presence of Lenny Hayes.
Hard to say, we know how much Ross loves a mature age GOP over a promising youngster…

If we'd won half of our first 8 games this year, we probably wouldn't have seen Cripps, Siposs, Johnson, Simpkin or Ledger play.

ThePunter
Club Player

Cripps and Johnson debuted Round 6 (game 5), and Siposs in Round 7 (game 6).

I think Ross decided to play them after the Brisbane game.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote: I never comment on team selection because I have no idea of the roles they want people to play or injuries or other things that we dont know about. people thought because of that I thought RL was great. It will be same under Watters. they have all the facts and we have none. Matter of fact most people here want players to come into the side that they havent even seen play. it is laughable what some people want and say.

And I still contand that we may not have given all these players huge amounts of games but if they were any good they would be kept or piocked up by another club.
I know u never commented on it, but I'm asking you separately. What do you think of our selection over the last 2 years.

My next question is that if Gardiner and Hayes weren't injured hypothetically speaking... there's a chance that McEvoy and Steven would not have had break out years...
they improved after a sustained period of getting games.
If they hadn't played this year, and were cut/traded... would u say tha if they were any good we would have kept them? I know there's no point answering that as it's all hypotheticals... but don't you ever have your OWN impressions/opinions of whether or not players will make it?
I always comment on whether a player will make it or not. Always liked Jack and was right about him. Wrong about plenty to. I think you will find Ben and Jack would have played plenty had MG and Lenny been available because anyone who understands footy could see they could play. Ben had already played plenty anyway and if Jack wasnt injured last year he would have played more last year. And just as you can usually tell a player will make it, it is also usually possible to see others who wont even if they play bugger all in the seniors.

To the top
SS Life Member

There is also such a thing as team structure - and where our rucks (absent Gardiner) and forwards cause concern.

The following players are 190cm or over:-

McEvoy 200cm (ruck)
Dawson 195cm (full back)
Riewoldt 193cm (CHF)
Gilbert 194 (defender)
Koschitzke 197cm (utility)
Dempster 191cm (defender)
Fisher 191cm (defender)
Stanley 200cm (utility)
Simpkin 191cm (defender)
Johnson 191cm (Utility)
Cahill 192cm (forward)
Archer 193cm (forward)

There is the deficiency in providing support to Riewoldt and the deficeincy in ruck.

Plus it identifies the absence to any alternative to Dawson (excect for Johnson who was drafted off playing full back in the VFL - but who has had exposure forward at St Kilda).

Of concern also is that Riewoldt, Koschitzke and Fisher are mature players, approaching 30 years of age.

We can not expect players drafted in November and who have height to walk straight into AFL football - particularly when your first pick is at 25.

So there are 5 names on the list above who we really have got to give opportunity to - because we have no option.

I would suggest that de-listing any of those 5 puts us in a precarious position - again, because where are the options on our list?

Unless we go to the State leagues for mature aged recruits - but are potential KPP players in State leagues up to AFL standard - and AFL standard in a team you trust will remain a contender?

To the top
SS Life Member

There is also such a thing as team structure - and where our rucks (absent Gardiner) and forwards cause concern.

The following players are 190cm or over:-

McEvoy 200cm (ruck)
Dawson 195cm (full back)
Riewoldt 193cm (CHF)
Gilbert 194 (defender)
Koschitzke 197cm (utility)
Dempster 191cm (defender)
Fisher 191cm (defender)
Stanley 200cm (utility)
Simpkin 191cm (defender)
Johnson 191cm (Utility)
Cahill 192cm (forward)
Archer 193cm (forward)

There is the deficiency in providing support to Riewoldt and the deficeincy in ruck.

Plus it identifies the absence to any alternative to Dawson (excect for Johnson who was drafted off playing full back in the VFL - but who has had exposure forward at St Kilda).

Of concern also is that Riewoldt, Koschitzke and Fisher are mature players, approaching 30 years of age.

We can not expect players drafted in November and who have height to walk straight into AFL football - particularly when your first pick is at 25.

So there are 5 names on the list above who we really have got to give opportunity to - because we have no option.

I would suggest that de-listing any of those 5 puts us in a precarious position - again, because where are the options on our list?

Unless we go to the State leagues for mature aged recruits - but are potential KPP players in State leagues up to AFL standard - and AFL standard in a team you trust will remain a contender?