Apparently Tom Lynch to Adelaide for Pick 37

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Pick 37 has been pretty good for us in the past. We picked up Liegh Montagna with pick 37.

Before we all go jumping up and down, why don't we wait to see what we get with pick 37 !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Easter said in part :
Before we all go jumping up and down, why don't we wait to see what we get with pick 37 !!
I said the same thing on a different thread. I am more comfortable with Pelchen on board, that our result for Pick 37 will be much better than what we would have got with our previous Recruiters at Pick 27.

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Junction Oval wrote:Announced a while ago. Gone for Pick 37.
It isn't official yet is it??

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
Buckets
SS Life Member

Selhurst Saint wrote:
No not yet anyway.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Selhurst Saint wrote:
Not official. Still negotiating picks.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

vacuous space wrote:Why would Adelaide spend a second round pick on the slowest player ever? He can't run, kick, he's weak, he can't mark. Yep - must be on his way out if SS is saying such nasty things about him.

For the record, he was in sandy's best 7 times out of twelve. SS darling Tommy Walsh was in the best 8 times in seventeen games... IMO Adelaide are getting a steal out of this one.
Don't quite understand it, I did end up finding some stats on his year, pretty depressing really....

R10- dislocated finger
R15- 2.0 from 16 touches, THEN subbed off
R16 - Quiet, 11 touches, 4 marks, 4 tackles - dropped
R19 - 10 touches, 4 marks, subbed off
R22 - 6 touches, 5 tackles, subbed off

So 5 games, 3 subbed, one injured. Only two in a row. I'm shattered. Thanks Ross... the Crows would be laughing, Gunston would only be marginally ahead of Lynch, and they picked up Crouch and Allen, they are big winners here.

One more thing, we are jumping up and down about Saad's repeat sprint times weren't we? But we just got rid of a bloke above 190cm who rated highly in his draft.

Ah forget it, he isn't a Saints player now, we've butchered one of our own... :(

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
defacto
Club Player

what if this trade falls through. what would it mean for lynch

sainterinsydney
Club Player

I'm secretly hoping it falls through, unless we can get an actually decent deal.

starsign
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
PJ wrote:Can't see how this improves us and with 2 already added to the list.
the new draft pick who comes in for lynch will be on less than lynch was. therefore we're better off from a salary cap perspective. and obviously the club don't rate lynch so they're betting that pick 37 has a good chance of being better in a couple of years. that's how it improves us.

agree
your on the money here Bergholt!!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Well I am very disappointed that Lynch has left.
He hasn't gone yet. Connors reckoned he was on a plane to 'sunny Adelaide' today...it's been pissing down rain all day, so maybe he sent him to the Gold Coast by accident?

A couple of points to take into account; according to him manager he's actively looking for a fresh start, so he actually wants to go. Secondly, regardless of where he was picked in the draft, he hasn't shown much in 3 seasons. We can't hang on to promising draft picks forever...to state that Adelaide's getting a 'steal' out of this is ridiculous, they're getting slightly above a 'project' player...he is effectively untried at AFL level as a forward (why I'd assume Adelaide has picked him up), after the best part of 3 seasons in the VFL. If they need him as a back (considering the recent losses of Bock and Davis, and age of Johncock), they're taking a calulated risk.

sainterinsydney
Club Player

TWR is saying the Maric deal is done--waiting for details.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

degruch wrote:
St Ick wrote:Well I am very disappointed that Lynch has left.
Secondly, regardless of where he was picked in the draft, he hasn't shown much in 3 seasons. We can't hang on to promising draft picks forever...to state that Adelaide's getting a 'steal' out of this is ridiculous, they're getting slightly above a 'project' player...he is effectively untried at AFL level as a forward (why I'd assume Adelaide has picked him up), after the best part of 3 seasons in the VFL. If they need him as a back (considering the recent losses of Bock and Davis, and age of Johncock), they're taking a calulated risk.
With Raph on our list still, I don't quite understand your hanging onto promising draft picks comment. Adelaide may get a 'steal' out of it, i guess the next 5 years will truly answer that one.

He has shown enough for mine to suggest he will make it. Once again I'll mention Jack Watts, even Gwilt showed very little in his first 3 years. Tom was often in the best players in the VFL, as pointed out he'd had very very limited opportunities in the seniors. 5 games, 3 times sub and no chance to string games together. Must be hard for him, I remember him saying he was a mad one-eyed saints supporter growing up, probably the type who would read a supporter forum too...

Strength through Loyalty
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Official - Trade done. See you Tom. Good luck.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Absolutely shattered.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Official - Trade done. See you Tom. Good luck.

SS Hall of Fame

St Ick wrote:
vacuous space wrote:Why would Adelaide spend a second round pick on the slowest player ever? He can't run, kick, he's weak, he can't mark. Yep - must be on his way out if SS is saying such nasty things about him.

For the record, he was in sandy's best 7 times out of twelve. SS darling Tommy Walsh was in the best 8 times in seventeen games... IMO Adelaide are getting a steal out of this one.
Don't quite understand it, I did end up finding some stats on his year, pretty depressing really....
He was 12th in repeat sprints at the combine, the only tall forward ahead of him was Jack Watts. And 9th in the beep test. Slow as a wet week? What happened to this guy?

I've been reading for so long that he was taken early by the Saints that I accepted it as gospel, however Matt Burgan rated him at a probable 20-25 and as high as 12.

Has the Saints' drafting sucked, or their player development... ?

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
degruch
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:With Raph on our list still, I don't quite understand your hanging onto promising draft picks comment. Adelaide may get a 'steal' out of it, i guess the next 5 years will truly answer that one.

He has shown enough for mine to suggest he will make it. Once again I'll mention Jack Watts, even Gwilt showed very little in his first 3 years. Tom was often in the best players in the VFL, as pointed out he'd had very very limited opportunities in the seniors. 5 games, 3 times sub and no chance to string games together. Must be hard for him, I remember him saying he was a mad one-eyed saints supporter growing up, probably the type who would read a supporter forum too...
Re: Raph...maybe, but he came along at a time when the team was developing into a premiership team, so like Gwilt, could be carried and developed. Lynch's timing, not so good. Raph has also played some BOG efforts, including in his first couple of seasons, as did Gwilt.

Watts was finishing school initially, and progressing very well through the VFL in a very difficult position (KP forward). Lynch has had some good games in the VFL (from what I've read), but was he consistant? Did he play in a key position? I'm not sure the two are directly comparable. I think it all boils down to the staff knowing better.

You are very right re: next 5 years exposing the truth about Lynch's ability. I still think we'd be attempting to on-sell our pick for another trade, so it would all go towards recruiting a known entity, rather than a project.

shmic_s
Club Player

Damn.
Not a great deal for us.
Good luck Tom.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Argh... this friggin' web host!

Proxy Error

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
The proxy server could not handle the request POST http://www.saintsational.com/forum/posting.php.

Reason: Error reading from remote server

Apache Server at www.saintsational.com Port 3128
Last edited by InkerSaint on Fri 14 Oct 2011 2:47pm, edited 4 times in total.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

A rookie from Hawthorn is traded for pick 58, surely we couldn't accept 37 for Lynchy in this draft? Serious!

Strength through Loyalty
degruch
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:A rookie from Hawthorn is traded for pick 58, surely we couldn't accept 37 for Lynchy in this draft? Serious!
Trade is now on the AFL website...so looks like 37 it is. Hawks rookie was in their VFL best all season.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

disapointing but move on, make sure we hit the target with pick 37. Must be a young'n, no recyles!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Damn.... I hope we don't hold onto Gamble instead of Lynch. I really don't think we had seen enough of Lynch to make a call yet.

Maybe it was a case of Walsh or lose someone else cap-wise...

savatage
SS Life Member

St Ick wrote:A rookie from Hawthorn is traded for pick 58, surely we couldn't accept 37 for Lynchy in this draft? Serious!
Again, doesn't matter where players where taken - whether pick 1, pick 100 or pick 98 in the rookie draft.

If Tom Lynch wasn't taken at pick 13 - we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Good Luck Tom,

It was great getting to know you over the last three years.

Now I need a new player to sponsor. :cry:

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."