St Kilda has Gary Ayres in mix

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

rocketrod7 wrote:
Teflon wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:
Teflon wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:You'd have to be pretty stupid to think that people don't get better at what they do and learn more as they get older. Port Melbourne didn't loose a game this season... Outstanding. Won 69 of 89 games over 4 years... outstanding. Seems like they must have really enjoyed playing under Gary.
Thats great - its been 8 years since Ayres has been in the AFL system...on the inside with any real knowledge at that level where the game, sports science, resources, player management etc etc have and are going???

IF as you say Port have been so "outstanding" over 4 years - again I ask.....why is no one but us banging on Gary Ayres door EVEN FOR ASSISTANT roles??????

You dont have to be Einstein to work that out.

FWIW Peter German is a long held, respected coach who should be in the system......Id go his record over Ayres as a coach is we are looking at minor standings for coaches anyday.

Hawks dont want Ayres? why?......
Maybe you should coach then champ... since you know it all. Captain coach.... If you don't think a record like that is outstanding then you're a flog.
Maybe you should stick to training your "flog" champ??
The discussion is around who our coach should be - if there are more valid options than Hairs we should look at them.

If...you cant keep up with the discussion "champ" maybe posting on the "big board" aint for you?...champ?
Good movie - " The Champ" :wink:
or was it "The Chump"? :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Moorabbin Man wrote:
Sainterman wrote:
saintlee wrote:
Sainterman wrote:
End Of An Era wrote:When his appointment is finally made official, I hope he grows back the mullet he had in the 1980's. How cool would it be if all the Saints players followed him and we had a team full of mullets!!!!!! :shock: :D :lol:
So based on what you are saying, the entire interview process has been a sham. Basically all media spin with no-one else who has applied and put in the work even a chance? Would that be fair comment?

If that was the case what would it say about how the place is being run?

Fact of the matter is there are those that want change, and there are people who are willing to force that change in light of what is going on down there. Do you think Ayres will still be appointed if/when we have a new president and some new board members some time next week??
You're talking about these board changes like you know its definitely going to happen...I take it you have good sources for this? Not just your opinion? I haven't seen any such speculation in the media...
Well as soon as I say I have been reliably informed everyone here will want a source, which I am not prepared to disclose.

But....yes, there is certainly things going on in the background, these things are respectfully waiting for the B and F to be completed.

I think next week there should be some movement...
Well you can tell your source, that the appointment of Ayres would be a greater act of incompetence than losing Lyon. That there will subsequently many members, including myself, tearing up their memberships.
Hard to disagree with that.

IF Ayres gets the nod - this board has completely lost any idea IMO. You dont need to be a brain surgeon to work out that Gary Ayres is NOT currently sought after by other AFL clubs as an assistant or main coach for a reason??

Hasnt coached at AFL level since 2004, yet apparently hes a genius coach - WHY?

Let me gues:
1. Hes been to busy honing his craft?
2. Hes been patiently waiting for the "Saints" to come along - I mean, they give anyone a go yer?
3. He hasnt done anything till the flag at port....so NOW hes got some credibility to hang it on?

nup.
Not sure how any of 'us' could have any idea of how good he is…

What would be insane is to ignore candidates based on what other clubs have done, we went after Lyon last time, when he wasn't on anyone's radar - now he is supposedly the best coach in the game…

Go tear up your memberships guys, unbelievable.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Moorabbin Man wrote:
Sainterman wrote:
saintlee wrote:
Sainterman wrote:
End Of An Era wrote:When his appointment is finally made official, I hope he grows back the mullet he had in the 1980's. How cool would it be if all the Saints players followed him and we had a team full of mullets!!!!!! :shock: :D :lol:
So based on what you are saying, the entire interview process has been a sham. Basically all media spin with no-one else who has applied and put in the work even a chance? Would that be fair comment?

Fact of the matter is there are those that want change, and there are people who are willing to force that change in light of what is going on down there. Do you think Ayres will still be appointed if/when we have a new president and some new board members some time next week??
You're talking about these board changes like you know its definitely going to happen...I take it you have good sources for this? Not just your opinion? I haven't seen any such speculation in the media...
Well as soon as I say I have been reliably informed everyone here will want a source, which I am not prepared to disclose.

But....yes, there is certainly things going on in the background, these things are respectfully waiting for the B and F to be completed.

Well you can tell your source, that the appointment of Ayres would be a greater act of incompetence than losing Lyon. That there will subsequently many members, including myself, tearing up their memberships.

IF Ayres gets the nod - this board has completely lost any idea IMO. You dont need to be a brain surgeon to work out that Gary Ayres is NOT currently sought after by other AFL clubs as an assistant or main coach for a reason??

Let me gues:
2. Hes been patiently waiting for the "Saints" to come along - I mean, they give anyone a go yer?
3. He hasnt done anything till the flag at port....so NOW hes got some credibility to hang it on?

nup.

What would be insane is to ignore candidates based on what other clubs have done, we went after Lyon last time, when he wasn't on anyone's radar - now he is supposedly the best coach in the game…

if the process is going through the motions and the decision is made its a disgrace. Dont have a problem holding the club to account over that.

“Yeah….nah””
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
dragit wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Moorabbin Man wrote:
Sainterman wrote:
saintlee wrote:
Sainterman wrote:

Let me gues:

nup.

if the process is going through the motions and the decision is made its a disgrace. Dont have a problem holding the club to account over that.
What's the disgrace, that you don't approve?
Can you even consider that he is the best bloke for the job?
Or is it that his hair is just too bad?

andolater

Considering that when the Saints employed Ross last time ( I thought Ross who? ) I am quite confident they ( the election panel ) are very capable of making a great decision for the Saints. This time I feel the election panel is more professional and capable than before..

How soon us Saints supporters forget where we were and how far we have come.

We should be thanking Ross, the board and the players for the last few years and that we are now in a better position than ever to setup for a premiership or two.

I welcome whover we appoint, I will renew my mebership and I wont bag a new coach beacuse of a bad hairdo

Grow up Saints "supporters" - Some of you sound like you really should be supporting the filth

jays
Club Player

good luck to him

sasaint
Club Player

andolater wrote:Considering that when the Saints employed Ross last time ( I thought Ross who? ) I am quite confident they ( the election panel ) are very capable of making a great decision for the Saints. This time I feel the election panel is more professional and capable than before..

We should be thanking Ross, the board and the players for the last few years and that we are now in a better position than ever to setup for a premiership or two.

I welcome whover we appoint, I will renew my mebership and I wont bag a new coach beacuse of a bad hairdo

Grow up Saints "supporters" - Some of you sound like you really should be supporting the filth
+1 :)

Patience young grasshopper
kimberly saint
Club Player

sasaint wrote:
andolater wrote:Considering that when the Saints employed Ross last time ( I thought Ross who? ) I am quite confident they ( the election panel ) are very capable of making a great decision for the Saints. This time I feel the election panel is more professional and capable than before..

+1 :)
Just got into this forum, wat the hell is wrong with sum of our supporters :lol:
Keeps me entertained and informed up here

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

End Of An Era wrote:
SaintSimmo wrote:
End Of An Era wrote:All this arguing is a waste of time anyway because Ayres has already got the job!!!!
mate ur going to look like an idiot if he doesn't get the job
That's fine by me. I know what I've been told, and by who. It's a done deal so get used to the Mullet man. :lol:
There fixed it for you....
Any chance you could stop yelling - just another attention seeker :shock:

Stand your ground :shock:
dragit
Saintsational Legend

End Of An Era wrote:All this arguing is a waste of time anyway because Ayres has already got the job!!!!
If Ayres isn't appointed, can you promise to leave us alone.... Forever???

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
If Ayres isn't appointed, can you promise to leave us alone.... Forever???
And if he's right....Welcome to the forum Gary

:lol: :? 8-)

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I have in on good authority that Ayres name is on top of the list. But only because it is in alphabetical order.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I have in on good authority that Ayres name is on top of the list. But only because it is in alphabetical order.
:lol:

Nice one Baz

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I have in on good authority that Ayres name is on top of the list. But only because it is in alphabetical order.

Nice one Baz

hopefully that's the only reason he is on top of the list

I love this club
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Teflon

You want watters....ok

but the fact Ayres hasnt been in the system for EIGHT years should be a factor....because Watters has never been in an AFL system...because obiously you are only counting senior positions....
because Ayres was at Essendon FOUR years ago

On German....he was flicked from his last two jobs in the AFL....and has failed in his three applications for senior positions....
Has a good record in the WAFL.....not so awesome in the VFL....and was clearly outcoached in the VFL grand final

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Teflon

You want watters....ok

but the fact Ayres hasnt been in the system for EIGHT years should be a factor....because Watters has never been in an AFL system...because obiously you are only counting senior positions....
because Ayres was at Essendon FOUR years ago

On German....he was flicked from his last two jobs in the AFL....and has failed in his three applications for senior positions....
Has a good record in the WAFL.....not so awesome in the VFL....and was clearly outcoached in the VFL grand final
I dont want Ayres full stop. He had a crack at coaching AFL EIGHT years ago and failed and speak to fans of those clubs and one thing they do ALL say is: for gods sake dont let the man near list development....cause he screwed both up.

You WANT Ayres as coach good for. You probably used the same argument against appointing Ross Lyon. I dont subscribe at all.

And how "succesful" was Ayres last stint at Essendon?

AND AGAIN I ask - and no one answers:

IF this guys is such a genius coach you clearly have him as - why hasnt he been courted by an AFL club in FOUR YEARS??????????????????????

“Yeah….nah””
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Conan has no AFL coaching experience for the past couple of years.

I want someone with current experience in the AFL.

The game is totally different now to when Ayers was in the big league.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I dont think he is a "coaching genius" and he would be far from my first choice....due to the reasons I have already mentioned...and not because of the reasons I have already mentioned.....

I would lean towards a more contemporary coach if a good'n was available.....which may be the case

Why am I defending Ayres

Because I find it stupid that someone dissmisses someone with a formidable record in the VFL/AFL for over 30years as incometant.....and his coaching record is NO failure....55% is not a FAILURE....it is a solid performance

and the arguments used against Ayres are contradictory.....to why you want Watters....ie/ he learned from a great mentor.....think about who Ayres played under...

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

So you blokes who are so anti Ayres just wont give him a go if he is selected to coach the Saints?

You guys will start the anti Thomas type campaign just because you dont like him?

Fair dinkum, coach bashing is so 2006 :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I dont think he is a "coaching genius" and he would be far from my first choice....due to the reasons I have already mentioned...and not because of the reasons I have already mentioned.....

I would lean towards a more contemporary coach if a good'n was available.....which may be the case

Why am I defending Ayres

Because I find it stupid that someone dissmisses someone with a formidable record in the VFL/AFL for over 30years as incometant.....and his coaching record is NO failure....55% is not a FAILURE....it is a solid performance

and the arguments used against Ayres are contradictory.....to why you want Watters....ie/ he learned from a great mentor.....think about who Ayres played under...
Im not interested in Ayres "solid" past efforts - is that hard to grasp?Have a look at how he left those clubs lists??

FFS we need a fresh MODERN approach from someone who has come from a succesful institution in the RECENT period. Wheres the contradiction genius?? - Im tippin you dont teach english??

So again, without CONTRADICTION:

Watters at least HAS modern/current AFL experience at a succesful club winning flags.

He also has experience in a MODERN AFL environment (fitness/sports science/player management) that is regarded as one of the best. There has to be learning taken place whilst hes been in that environment.

He comes endorsed from ALL who have worked with him - several acknolwedging his tactical ability.

He managed the BEST defensive unit in the league and again was renowned for the direct improvement in some of their now stars.

I couldnt give a frk if Ayres was a Hawk star in the 80's - makes little difference coach wise....ask Tim Watson.

Be nice if you could spell out why it is you apparently dont want Ayres? cause I havent read the "logic" yet.

And lastly - still NO answer - Gary Ayres is now "solid" according to you....so "solid" in fact he cant get a gig at another AFL club in 8 years as senior coach and 4 as an assistant please tell me they ALL dont know what they are doing???????????????????????????????????????????

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:So you blokes who are so anti Ayres just wont give him a go if he is selected to coach the Saints?

You guys will start the anti Thomas type campaign just because you dont like him?

Fair dinkum, coach bashing is so 2006 :roll:
Im happy to be acknowledged as no fan of Thomas - thought he was the right guy for a year/2 to stabilise and then felt he shoulda been moved on. His technical grasp of the game always worried me - its why he talked management riddles.

IF Ayres is appointed he'll get his go - the Board will see to it and what we do on SS wont have a squat effect on that. What would be dissapointing is to hear the decision was made some time ago and weve just been through a few weeks "media massaging" for Ayres to be warmed into the role. IF that was occuring ...thats a whole new problem.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Conan has no AFL coaching experience for the past couple of years.

I want someone with current experience in the AFL.

The game is totally different now to when Ayers was in the big league.
correct and so do I.

the game moves fast enough year to year -let alone since 2004 when Ayres last sat in the main chair at AFL level.

“Yeah….nah””
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He could have all those things......what if he just not a great leader...

Leadership is the game.....a coach is worthless without it....senior coaches lead clubs.....it is the quality to be counted above all....

I know id be pretty happy to have CV of Gary Ayres....and it reads a lot deeper than most others

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

GWS and Fremantle are the only 2 clubs who have appointed coaches with previous AFL senior coaching experience....

The other 15 clubs must believe it's the way to go in hiring a young assistant to the top job :shock:

The only former coaches I wanted were Roos or Thompson. Maybe even Mark Harvey. Had no interest in any of the others at all....

Still hope and reckon it's out of Watters, Richardson or Harvey.
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Sat 08 Oct 2011 9:27pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stand your ground :shock:
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He could have all those things......what if he just not a great leader...

Leadership is the game.....a coach is worthless without it....senior coaches lead clubs.....it is the quality to be counted above all....

I know id be pretty happy to have CV of Gary Ayres....and it reads a lot deeper than most others
so once again you like Gary Ayres but dont want him as our coach but wont spell out why?

why dont you stop wasting everyones time trying to validate OTHERS opinions and just put you own friggin one fwd?

Gary such a "leader" but cant get a gig elsewhere and still NO REASON WHY??????? :roll:

“Yeah….nah””