Saints set to begin interviews

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Very impressive young man...

WinnersOnly wrote:Very impressive young man...gees if he interviews like that for the SAINTS job he is a monty !
Alhtough 1 press conference doesnt make a winter......hes clearly not fussed with handling the media (better presentation than Lyin)..........now IF he has the technical ability to back it up.....hes a monty.

FWIW IF the reports out of the Pies are anything to go by and the fact that he has coached a side to flags in his own right.....you get the sense he must have a reasonable grasp on the game and the ability to relate to the players.

“Yeah….nah””
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I hope our selection committee is sold on 3 minutes of a press conference...

If he is successful, he must show something...having said that, we have blundered at least half a dozen big decisions since that fateful draft in 09...

Success comes at a price....

Teflon...

What exactly has Watters achieved in football that Ayres has not....because reverse the question and i could add some stuff...

Not saying who i would prefer....but i hope the panel makes a smart choice

And he was in the AFL system until he took the port job in 08.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I hope our selection committee is sold on 3 minutes of a press conference...

If he is successful, he must show something...having said that, we have blundered at least half a dozen big decisions since that fateful draft in 09...

Success comes at a price....

Teflon...

What exactly has Watters achieved in football that Ayres has not....because reverse the question and i could add some stuff...

Not saying who i would prefer....but i hope the panel makes a smart choice

And he was in the AFL system until he took the port job in 08.
where does it say in this thread or on this forum ANYWHERE that the selection panel should base their decision on 3 minutes of footage?

What had Lyon achieved before St Kilda that Ayres has not?..your question???? TODAY after the club making the correct selection and NOT going for re-hashes.....Ross Lyon is a superstar coach - Ayres is still considered a dud in the industry.

And if Ayres had achieved so much just answer me this:

Why has no other club in the last 5 years been banging down Gary Ayres door? even as an assistant???????????

He aint an AFL coaches backside and they know it.

And whats wrong with Watters who HAS coached a team to a flag in his own right and now comes from THE most succesful football department in the game with massive wraps from one of the AFL's best coaches?????

The only one who is deluded is you and thank ferk u aint on the panel cause we'd have Gary Ayres as coach and Billy Ray Cyrus as Midfield Assistant....

“Yeah….nah””
Shaggy
Club Player

I would like to see Sumich then Watters as our coach.

West Coast has gone through such amazing highs and lows the past decade.

Worsfold and Sumich have gone from the bottom to the top to the bottom to back on their way to the top without being sacked. Even during the worst time Sumich was not sacrificed which says a lot for both Worsfold and Sumich and their relationship.

We need a coach who can deal with the highs and lows and deliver a flag inbetween.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Still cant believe Rocket is still in the running :?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Whoever is chosen it will be the wrong decision.

Our admin can't win on this one.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:The only one who is deluded is you and thank ferk u aint on the panel cause we'd have Gary Ayres as coach and Billy Ray Cyrus as Midfield Assistant....
Hey Tefs, bag Ayres all you like, but ease up on Cyrus! What the hell has he done wrong?

Besides, a few line dancing moves may very well assist our onballers in those all important centre clearances and stoppages :wink:

Saints43
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:Whoever is chosen it will be the wrong decision.

Surely all Saints supporters will get behind whoever is selected.

There's no blood on anyones hands - the last bloke walked on us.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Saints43 wrote:

+1

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:
Saints43 wrote:

+1
+100, despite what many in the media and on this forum will say, the Saints did little wrong or different to other clubs.

I love this club
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
saintbrat wrote:Ayres not invted to present

and obviosuy hasn't made contact himself.....

yes I realise he has been busy but so have some of the succesfull applicants at other clubs..
where did u hear he wasnt invited to present Bratty?

thats a good thing for mine....
if 'end of an era' is to be believed then Garry is a Liar-- UNLESS it is done through a third or fourth party 8 min in
http://www.aflvic.com.au/fileadmin/user ... 2_2909.mp3

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

An interesting article in today's Age by Ray Wilson (West Australian paper) - "Scott was a risky choice that paid off."
It gives an insight into Geelong's Coaching Panel approach.

From the second half of the article -
It's been well-documented that Geelong wanted a solid citizen with strong core values ahead of a genius coach who didn't measure up in other areas.

The selection panel weighted 50 per cent of its final decision on leadership, management and cultural development, with the second round of interviews involving the technicalities of coaching while about 20 per cent was weighted towards media, community and brand development.

Before we made a decision we spoke to the player leadership group because it was really important that the players understood what we were trying to achieve," Cook said.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Thats the dumbest reply i have been hit with......for quite some time...

Your sold on a dude you know absolutely FA about really.....i reckon the press conference grab is the first time you've heard him speak...but in your replies have endorsed him....

He has been a line coach....responsible for making sure half a dozen player stick to micks plans on gameday...

And you speak on behalf of the entire football industry.....who think ayres is a dud....
Some actual truth
Ayres was offered a role at his own club after 07 but turned it down to coach
His own team....he is one of the more respected figures in the AFL with a record as a player which is undeniable.....coaching record which is reasonabe....
I stated his REAL figures on another thread......they would rate as the third best figures in the 100+ year history of our great club.....

Tony shaw, tim watson, damien drum, dean bailey, kevin bartlett and matthew primus.....have poor records

spert
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:An interesting article in today's Age by Ray Wilson (West Australian paper) - "Scott was a risky choice that paid off."
It gives an insight into Geelong's Coaching Panel approach.

From the second half of the article -
It's been well-documented that Geelong wanted a solid citizen with strong core values ahead of a genius coach who didn't measure up in other areas.

The selection panel weighted 50 per cent of its final decision on leadership, management and cultural development, with the second round of interviews involving the technicalities of coaching while about 20 per cent was weighted towards media, community and brand development.

Before we made a decision we spoke to the player leadership group because it was really important that the players understood what we were trying to achieve," Cook said.
Pretty much explains why Geelong have had a great season -their leaders have stood up and led by example, while at St Kilda apart from Lenny, some of our supposed leaders spent a lot of the year being sooks, or looking like fools on TV.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Pretty much explains why Geelong have had a great season -their leaders have stood up and led by example, while at St Kilda apart from Lenny, some of our supposed leaders spent a lot of the year being sooks, or looking like fools on TV.
According to some very respected players and coaches, we have one of, if not the most respected leadership group in the competition.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Saints43 wrote:

Off course nearly all will support whoever is coach. Some are just having a say on who their preferences are for the shortlist - and who might be the successful applicant that's all.

Stand your ground :shock:
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Especially on this forum.

I dunno...

I'm looking forward to the new coach whoever it is.
If he's crap, I'll tear my hair out and sigh a lot.

If he's good....I hope he's not ultra defensive and likes players that can hit targets.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Richter
SS Life Member

In all honesty the easy choice for the board is to select a newbie coach. Any previous AFL coach is going to come with some baggage, with people saying 'he's a dud' or whatever. I personally have no problem in theory with taking an experienced senior coach, nor do I have a problem with taking an untried new coach.

For mine, the important thing is the process. The panel decides what qualities they are looking for and then must appoint on the basis of who acquits themselves best through the interview process.

Sort of things that are important....

Obvious ones like tactical nous, man management, leadership etc., but also an ability to 'sell' the club to undecided members, develop up and coming talent, ideas re attacking style come into it in a way that perhaps did not 5 years ago.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Goddard's comments on Before The Game last night were interesting.

Basically said they coach themselves, and due to the strong leadership they have within the playing group, they probably just need someone to steer the ship.

Then countered that by saying something along the lines of 'but if a new coach comes in (a rookie coach) with some fresh ideas then that'd probably be a good thing too'.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Goddard's comments on Before The Game last night were interesting.

Basically said they coach themselves, and due to the strong leadership they have within the playing group, they probably just need someone to steer the ship.
What's Johnny up to these days?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Maybe thats the issue

The need someone to come in and take charge......dont like the tail wagging the dog.....

Sounds like.....if we get a new coach, he just needs to conform to what we want.....umm, no

The coach pulls the reigns

S.A Saint
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Maybe thats the issue

The need someone to come in and take charge......dont like the tail wagging the dog.....

Sounds like.....if we get a new coach, he just needs to conform to what we want.....umm, no

+1

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

S.A Saint wrote:

+1
Maybe.

But I didn't really interpret his comments that way at all.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
S.A Saint wrote:

+1
Maybe.

But I didn't really interpret his comments that way at all.
Either did I

He just didn't want to make out the loss of Ross was as significant as he probably did initially.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I agree.

If we get someone who kowtows to the playing group we have chosen the wrong candidate.

He's there to lead and take us forward, not to make friends.