Gardi !!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Odd headline and yes i know it's probably the sub editor but not referanced in the story
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/inco ... 1jo96.html
Inconstant Gardiner
Matt Murnane
September 2, 2011

in·con·stant 
----not constant; changeable; fickle; variable: an inconstant friend.

Synonyms
moody, capricious, vacillating, wavering; undependable, unstable, unsettled, uncertain; mutable, mercurial, volatile. See fickle.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
avid
Club Player

With Gardi, McEvoy, Kosi and Blake all in the team, who guards Betts, Gartlett, Walker, etc?
I thought Carlton were going to kill us with speed, not rucking power??

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

i can't believe stanley and luke van rheenen didn't get a game as well.

Schillaci
Club Player

Some here have taken their eye off the ball.
This week is a H&A game. I know we are playing for a home final but finals are guaranteed so this is the week to bring in Gards. Especially considering Mumford towelled us up two weeks ago and Gards needs a run in the firsts before he can be contemplated for finals.
Ross has his eyes on the main prize.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

saintbrat wrote:Odd headline and yes i know it's probably the sub editor but not referanced in the story
Inconstant Gardiner
Matt Murnane
September 2, 2011

in·con·stant 

Synonyms
moody, capricious, vacillating, wavering; undependable, unstable, unsettled, uncertain; mutable, mercurial, volatile. See fickle.
It's a movie title reference. The Constant Gardener

Furtius Quo Rdelious
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:
saintbrat wrote:Odd headline and yes i know it's probably the sub editor but not referanced in the story
Inconstant Gardiner
Matt Murnane
September 2, 2011

in·con·stant 

Synonyms
It's a movie title reference. The Constant Gardener
I obviously don't watch enough Movies.........

and Luke Van Rheenan is apparenlty now one huge unit according to someone reporting on suburban football last night.. Doing very well-
used words such as Axehandle shoulders and about 7 foot tall.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Seems fair enough to me...as I mentioned earlier in the week, we can either attempt to match their mosquito fleet (which we have failed to do, even when we've had a full fit team to choose from), or exploit a difference. Big Mac will be run off his feet between Warnock and Kreuzer, so now we have a matching ruck department, and Kosi (effective forward last week) as a full time forward. If we Dempster Judd, and win the armwrestle in the ruck (which we have in the past), their mids won't be getting the ball to move it forward anyway. Carlton relies of mids kicking goals almost more than any other top 4 team, due to their 'Fev shaped hole'.

I also agree it is match practice for Sydney.

Hope Gards tears 'em a new one.

Austinnn
Club Player

clarky449 wrote:
Austinnn wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
saint66au wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
Pwoit wrote:I dont have a problem with this

Gardi can go forward resting, kosi rucks and ben on bench - rotating
You wont be liking selection at about 10:30 Saturday Night.
Why are ppl in our Cheersquad so damned negative all the time???
I wont be re joining the Cheer Squad next year so please count me out of it!!
You are in the Cheersquad?? What a f****** travesty. Anyone who has anything negative to say about the club, the team, the players or the staff should leave IMMEDIATELY, not wait until next year. You are a disgrace to the concept of a cheer squad.

This club demands a cheersquad who CHEER, support and provide positive energy and who are together like a SQUAD. Otherwise they are POISON.

I like the Gardiner selection, for what it's worth. Maybe it will pay off to give him a run ahead of finals, and a farewell bow is a nice touch. Carlton are quick, but if we can't hurt them with pace at least let's try and hurt them in the air. Gardi is good around the ground and we all know he can kick goals. If we do lose, I don't see his inclusion or anyone else's exclusion as the reason.

But we won't lose. You can count on it.
Are you serious?
Am I serious? You bet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the purpose of a cheersquad is to generate positivity to encourage the supporters to generate further positivity to aid the team when it plays and to give the club a powerful positive image that will encourage more people to sign up as members. That's what seperates the cheersquad from regular supporters: people who are prepared to commit themselves to the cheering of the team, not just someone who cheers when they feel like it like the rest of us.

You may not agree. You may think I'm being naïve. But that is the remit of a fully-functioning cheersquad, and in this era it's more important than ever. I would even say it is essential to ensure we survive as a club.

Your role on matchday is more important to St Kilda than Ross Lyon's. The coach is just taking care of the short-term success of the team, and hopefully building for the future. But no matter how good a team is, if there is no passion in the stands, few people will climb on the bandwagon. If there is a powerful cheersquad presence, even in times where the playing team isn't so hot, more supporters will get behind you. Few people, no matter how much they love their club, have the guts to be a lone voice, but to be part of something strong and united is irrisistable; that's just human nature. A stadium full of powerful positivity is going to attract more supporters, increasing it's strength like audio feedback. The more members, the more money and influence.

Look at the Filth. They've been an average team for much of the last 30 years, yet they have arguably the strongest presence in the AFL, to the point where they can make their own rules to a certain extent, ie; clash guernseys, home games, etc. Compare that to the Bulldogs, who've been consistently in Finals for much of the last 15 years, but who still live with the threat of folding. Where does that strength come from? From Eddie McGuire? Yes and no. His huge media presence gives him a voice, but if he was in charge of the Bulldogs, no-one would listen. The AFL and all other clubs know that Collingwood makes a lot of money for everyone. Why? Because of the passionate and huge membership. Their cheersquad is notorious, I've even seen articles about it in the media: who remembers reading anything about the Bulldogs cheersquad, or ours for that matter?

Your performance effects our long-term success as a club.

I appreciate that you're all volunteers trying to do your best, but I don't see how any member of the cheersquad who is vocally negative about the team selection or the team or the coach or the club on an internet forum can possibly be fulfilling their role effectively at the ground. You are actually diminishing the positivity, not increasing it. Doing the exact opposite of what your role requires.

No-one can stop you being negative, just as no-one can stop a soldier from being afraid or a surgeon from being clumsy, but as you are a volunteer, why do it? If you're already committed to quitting, why stick around?

Most importantly: With supporters from the 16 other clubs constantly bagging us, and the media bagging us, what message do you think it sends to us supporters to see people from our own cheersquad bagging the team?
clarky449 wrote:You wont be liking selection at about 10:30 Saturday Night.
You obviously have already convinced yourself that we'll lose. Is that the message that you'll be screaming out of the cheersquad every time Gardiner misses a goal or drops a mark? "Boooooooooo!!!" What kind of pathetic excuse for a cheersquad goes into a game with that attitude?

I don't want to discourage anyone from being part of the cheersquad, and admittedly I can't take part myself. I greatly appreciate the work of the cheersqaud, I know it's hard and you don't get the respect or money you deserve. (If I were president, that would change :wink:) Some of you have probably been doing it for longer than I've even been a supporter. Respect.

But I wouldn't want a bunch of scared soldiers defending me, or clumsy surgeons operating on me, and someone who loves their club and cares deeply about its survival and growth, I think it's actually disgusting to see cheersquad members being openly negative even if it's just on an internet forum, and hurts us a club.

So the question is not am I serious, but are you?

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
matrix
Saintsational Legend

off to the states i hear clarky??
have fun :)

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

I am hoping like hell that this is all a bit of ducks and drakes.

This throws our team balance totally out of whack. If Gardi plays, it is the move of a terrified Ross Lyon who does not have faith in Ben McEvoy to stand up when it counts. In 2011, it is one or the other. Has been since the rule was made clear in October 2010.

If the team is as selected, then it is another example of Ross Lyon panicking at selection come the big matches, which has led to peculiar decisions such as Blake being the sub against Collingwood, or the sudden switch to one ruckman come the Grand Final last year.

Yes, Mumford spanked Big Mac two weeks ago. If we had locked up a home final, well by all means see how Gardi is faring. But this match is huge for us, and we cannot afford to risk it against fleet of foot Carlton. McEvoy must be backed in to carry the ruckload with occasional help from Kosi and maybe Blake (although I think we're already top-heavy with him and would prefer Gamble in the team).

I think Gardi will be a late change out, or at the very least, Smith will come in for Blake. Perhaps McEvoy can play behind the ball on O'Hailpin. But I don't like it.

Please Ross, say it ain't so.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

With the Pie's "Roman" Press you need to stop their midfield winning control of the ball.

Plus all year our midfied has been our weakness. Ben has been good and has gotten beter over the tear, and indeed around the ground has been superb. But he cannot tap to advantage like Gardi can.

To me it is no wonder that Lyon wants to have a look at how Gardi can play at the highest level now.

At his best he is an elite players. But how close he can be to his best is what needs to be shown.

At the G is an idea time to see how Gardi can go.

If he fails Armo is already waiting and eaer to come back in.

If Gardi however thrives.....then it may well be Blake that makes waves......or maybe Armo or Geary.

One thing for sure....I will be fascinated watching.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:With the Pie's "Roman" Press you need to stop their midfield winning control of the ball.

Plus all year our midfied has been our weakness. Ben has been good and has gotten beter over the tear, and indeed around the ground has been superb. But he cannot tap to advantage like Gardi can.

To me it is no wonder that Lyon wants to have a look at how Gardi can play at the highest level now.

At his best he is an elite players. But how close he can be to his best is what needs to be shown.

At the G is an idea time to see how Gardi can go.

If he fails Armo is already waiting and eaer to come back in.

If Gardi however thrives.....then it may well be Blake that makes waves......or maybe Armo or Geary.

One thing for sure....I will be fascinated watching.
I think that is all well and good but once he made a decision to play MG surely Ben had to be rested. The reason I say this is that I cant see how we can use two ruckmen with only 3 on the bench. The old 50% each game time is over and I cant see how either of those players can work for long periods up forward as neither can mark on the lead due to their lack of pace and neither can stop run out of the backline for the same reason. And the days of taking more than one or two contested marks a game in the forward line are just about over except for the reall elite forwards and these 2 do not qualify for that. Hope it works but can see how both can play in the finals whatever they do tonight.
Last edited by plugger66 on Sat 03 Sep 2011 11:03am, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Welcome back big show 8-)

degruch
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Seems fair enough to me...as I mentioned earlier in the week, we can either attempt to match their mosquito fleet (which we have failed to do, even when we've had a full fit team to choose from), or exploit a difference. Big Mac will be run off his feet between Warnock and Kreuzer, so now we have a matching ruck department, and Kosi (effective forward last week) as a full time forward. If we Dempster Judd, and win the armwrestle in the ruck (which we have in the past), their mids won't be getting the ball to move it forward anyway. Carlton relies of mids kicking goals almost more than any other top 4 team, due to their 'Fev shaped hole'.

I also agree it is match practice for Sydney.

Hope Gards tears 'em a new one.
Someone else thinks the same:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/k ... 1jqbt.html

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
Austinnn wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
saint66au wrote:
clarky449 wrote:

You are in the Cheersquad?? What a f****** travesty. Anyone who has anything negative to say about the club, the team, the players or the staff should leave IMMEDIATELY, not wait until next year. You are a disgrace to the concept of a cheer squad.

This club demands a cheersquad who CHEER, support and provide positive energy and who are together like a SQUAD. Otherwise they are POISON.

I like the Gardiner selection, for what it's worth. Maybe it will pay off to give him a run ahead of finals, and a farewell bow is a nice touch. Carlton are quick, but if we can't hurt them with pace at least let's try and hurt them in the air. Gardi is good around the ground and we all know he can kick goals. If we do lose, I don't see his inclusion or anyone else's exclusion as the reason.

Are you serious?
Am I serious? You bet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the purpose of a cheersquad is to generate positivity to encourage the supporters to generate further positivity to aid the team when it plays and to give the club a powerful positive image that will encourage more people to sign up as members. That's what seperates the cheersquad from regular supporters: people who are prepared to commit themselves to the cheering of the team, not just someone who cheers when they feel like it like the rest of us.

You may not agree. You may think I'm being naïve. But that is the remit of a fully-functioning cheersquad, and in this era it's more important than ever. I would even say it is essential to ensure we survive as a club.

Your role on matchday is more important to St Kilda than Ross Lyon's. The coach is just taking care of the short-term success of the team, and hopefully building for the future. But no matter how good a team is, if there is no passion in the stands, few people will climb on the bandwagon. If there is a powerful cheersquad presence, even in times where the playing team isn't so hot, more supporters will get behind you. Few people, no matter how much they love their club, have the guts to be a lone voice, but to be part of something strong and united is irrisistable; that's just human nature. A stadium full of powerful positivity is going to attract more supporters, increasing it's strength like audio feedback. The more members, the more money and influence.

Look at the Filth. They've been an average team for much of the last 30 years, yet they have arguably the strongest presence in the AFL, to the point where they can make their own rules to a certain extent, ie; clash guernseys, home games, etc. Compare that to the Bulldogs, who've been consistently in Finals for much of the last 15 years, but who still live with the threat of folding. Where does that strength come from? From Eddie McGuire? Yes and no. His huge media presence gives him a voice, but if he was in charge of the Bulldogs, no-one would listen. The AFL and all other clubs know that Collingwood makes a lot of money for everyone. Why? Because of the passionate and huge membership. Their cheersquad is notorious, I've even seen articles about it in the media: who remembers reading anything about the Bulldogs cheersquad, or ours for that matter?

I appreciate that you're all volunteers trying to do your best, but I don't see how any member of the cheersquad who is vocally negative about the team selection or the team or the coach or the club on an internet forum can possibly be fulfilling their role effectively at the ground. You are actually diminishing the positivity, not increasing it. Doing the exact opposite of what your role requires.

No-one can stop you being negative, just as no-one can stop a soldier from being afraid or a surgeon from being clumsy, but as you are a volunteer, why do it? If you're already committed to quitting, why stick around?

Most importantly: With supporters from the 16 other clubs constantly bagging us, and the media bagging us, what message do you think it sends to us supporters to see people from our own cheersquad bagging the team?
You obviously have already convinced yourself that we'll lose. Is that the message that you'll be screaming out of the cheersquad every time Gardiner misses a goal or drops a mark? "Boooooooooo!!!" What kind of pathetic excuse for a cheersquad goes into a game with that attitude?

I don't want to discourage anyone from being part of the cheersquad, and admittedly I can't take part myself. I greatly appreciate the work of the cheersqaud, I know it's hard and you don't get the respect or money you deserve. (If I were president, that would change :wink:) Some of you have probably been doing it for longer than I've even been a supporter. Respect.

But I wouldn't want a bunch of scared soldiers defending me, or clumsy surgeons operating on me, and someone who loves their club and cares deeply about its survival and growth, I think it's actually disgusting to see cheersquad members being openly negative even if it's just on an internet forum, and hurts us a club.

That's the biggest wank of a post if I've ever read one.

People in the cheer squad are allowed to have an opinion.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
Austinnn wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
saint66au wrote:
clarky449 wrote:

Are you serious?
Am I serious? You bet.

Ummm you are an absolute tool of the highest order. I am allowed to do and say what i want, i am allowed opinions. See i dont wear rose coloured glasses all the time. Because i have opinions doesnt mean i go to the game and criticise everything we do. So whats the problem. Why do you think i will "boo" everytime Gardiner drops a mark. Seeing as you know me can you please let me know what i said last night.

"But I wouldn't want a bunch of scared soldiers defending me, or clumsy surgeons operating on me, and someone who loves their club and cares deeply about its survival and growth, I think it's actually disgusting to see cheersquad members being openly negative even if it's just on an internet forum, and hurts us a club." Using soldiers or clumsy surgeons as an example is pretty sad mate. This is football, just football. Life is bigger.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Great win and all, but a horrible selection. Almost cost us. Blues streamed out of defence with consummate ease in the first half.

It's Macca or Gardi. Not both. I love the bloke. But it's time.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:Great win and all, but a horrible selection. Almost cost us. Blues streamed out of defence with consummate ease in the first half.

No surprise we looked a lot better when one of the big blokes (happened to be Gardy) was subbed off at HT for a running player (Ray).

Cat't play both. It will be a tough decision by Ross. I can't see Ross going with Mac/Kosi against Mummy again...

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:Great win and all, but a horrible selection. Almost cost us. Blues streamed out of defence with consummate ease in the first half.

Thought it played out about as well as Ross would of hoped.

He had a hitout at senior level, did well too.

Most guys that will be in the mix have had senior game time recently.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

Was risky and nearly costly. There was plenty to lose tonight, and not that much to gain by picking Gardi.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Was risky and nearly costly. There was plenty to lose tonight, and not that much to gain by picking Gardi.
Lyon said post game you just couldnt pick Gardiner without any senior time.

He played a half, looked ok.

Gonna be very interesting cause Mumford monstered McEvoy last time......yet McEvoy has been great all year.....do u go with the kid again? or take a gambke on Gardiners experience based on a half of footy????

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
SainterK wrote:

I disagree, but that's ok...

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Gonna be very interesting cause Mumford monstered McEvoy last time......yet McEvoy has been great all year.....do u go with the kid again? or take a gambke on Gardiners experience based on a half of footy????
Surely not. Macca must be backed in, he's a better overall package and will have Kosi to help out unlike two weeks ago.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:
SainterK wrote:

If Gardiner pulls up ok than he plays IMO. Horses for courses - can't have Mac being manhandled by Mummy again. The question is: is there room for the both in the team?