50 against Joey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:In all of this there is a problem with the "Play On" rule. I believe that as soon as a player moves off his line he has given up his right to a protected area. The tackler should not have to wait for the umpire to call play on. If the tackler moves too early, its a 50m penalty. If not, it becomes the next act of play. That puts the onus back on the players and allows the umpire to adjudicate ONLY !!
As bad as the example on Friday was, it's not normally a problem. God forbid players self-ajudicate play-on, there'd be a million excuses used to claim play-on against otherwise stationary players.

bozza1980
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:What if Franklin takes a mark on the right hand point post.

Due to his 'natural arc' this would mean he could literally walk about 5 metres out to the centre of the ground giving him a point blank shot at goal.

Not only that, under normal circumstances when a player marks on the point post, opposition players gather round to negate them playing on and opening up the angle - I believe they are required to be 5m back?

How far back do they have to stand for Franklin?

What about a full-back that has a flaw in their kicking action which causes them to overstep the goal square line every time they kick in? Do they get let off the hook?

What about a bloke who naturally swings the ball left to right when he kicks, causing him to miss to the right when he has a shot at goal. Do we move the goal post a bit to allow his 'natural swing'?

And what about a player who has a 'natural temper'? Do they get let off the hook by the MRP?

Seriously, the AFL is the most ridiculously administered, officiated and reported sport in the world.
And having just witness FIFA, that's saying something.
Totally agree rodger.

Lots of players have flaws in their kicking style (Clint Jones anyone) and it is up to the player and the coaching staff to try and eradicate those flaws. Buddy should be made to correct his flaw because that's what it is.

In the meantime he may lose a little power and a little accuracy but like the Clints of this world, that would simply be because his junior coaches didn't iron out the deficiancies at a young age.

Of course the option for Buddy would be to do nothing about it, and I don't have a problem with that. As long as the umps call "play on" when he arcs and he can deal with any issues that arise from that.
The whole Buddy's natural arc is bs.

His natural arc does take him to the left and he has a rounded kicking style unlike the natural Tony Lockett style approach. I have no problem with his normal approach.

The Joey 50 was not from this natural approach, on Friday he night he ran around to open up the angle, it should have been play on plain and simple.

Had the Giesh said the 50 was correct as Montagna had not taken his correct position prior Buddy playing on, I would have copped it. This natural arc business is treating the football world like morons. Completely unlike the AFL to do something like that. :roll:

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.