Should the Fan Forum and Opposition Forums be merged?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Should the Fan Forum and Opposition/General Footy Discussion Forum be Merged?

Poll ended at Mon 19 Jul 2010 8:06pm

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes: 122

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:I thought we went through this argument ages ago?

Saintsational board is for St Kilda-related topics.

Opposition board is for topics relating to other clubs.

General board is for non-footy related subjects.

It's not hard to grasp.
Yeah, agreed...

seems like the new admin want to cut out some threads in order to save their viewing time on this site...

with posters leaving or not posting for some time, one would think their job is made easier in any case....

I was hoping for an extra one that includes all sports, but it looks like we are going for less....

I really don't understand why and if it goes to the majority (with less than 100 votes atm) so be it...

But I believe it would be a bad decision and my thoughts are to have more threads than less...

with so many posters either leaving or not posting one does wonder about player sponsorship next year IMO...

Yes, we need some improvement here, but deleting boards and joining them instead of creating extra boards is not the way to go IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
seems like the new admin want to cut out some threads in order to save their viewing time on this site...

I really don't understand why and if it goes to the majority (with less than 100 votes atm) so be it...
Edit: The above statements are simply not true St F.

If you read the thread, there is no mandate for change based on the poll result. That has been said.

So don't start with the saving of time argument, you are way off the mark, and please name me and dcstkfc, St.F. The fact is that we are doing the bulk of the moderating.

No one apart from you wants a sports forum. That's one vote. We can have 20 forums if you want but justify it and all of the mods will discuss it. The Gen Forum has sports threads on it and is going fine.

Maybe you should read all the posts St F and you would get a clearer picture, or have you been saving time.

I look forward to all the mods and admin contributing to this topic.
Last edited by Milan Faletic on Tue 13 Jul 2010 6:49pm, edited 4 times in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Of course they should be merged but if the topic is a pathetic one it should be moved to the general forum. Imagine if Carlton were over the salary cap. On the other footy forum at the moment there would be about one page written on it but if it was on the main footy forum there would be 20 pages on it. Have one footy forum and just move boring topics on other clubs. Not hard to see which topics are boring after a few hours.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

If you read the thread, there is no mandate for change based on the poll result. That has been said.

So don't start with the saving of time argument, you are way off the mark, and please name me and dcstkfc, St.F. The fact is that we are doing the bulk of the moderating.

No one apart from you wants a sports forum. That's one vote. We can have 20 forums if you want but justify it and all of the mods will discuss it. The Gen Forum has sports threads on it and is going fine.

Maybe you should read all the posts St F and you would get a clearer picture, or have you been saving time.

Well....

I noticed that you have omitted or just selected some of my post and I did state a couple of times IMO...

If my opinion is "crock" just what should I say about yours :idea: :?:

I stand by my opinion and don't appreciate my opinions being labelled as "crock" :roll:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
with so many posters either leaving or not posting one does wonder about player sponsorship next year IMO...
In the huge time period of 4 weeks since I've been a mod, I have noticed lots of new posters and heaps of old posters coming back.

I have PMed a lot of frequent posters to ask what they want and say that I am available if they have any issues.

I have a pile of PMs supporting the forum.

For some people the glass is half empty and I have worked for companies who believe their own perception from the inside. Then positivity comes in and the perception changes.

The enormous feedback is overwhelmingly positive and if negative, I have done what I can to address issues or at least change their perceptions.

The forum is perceived to be tired by tired people. I sense that in the mods when I confronted about certain posters and got told to just avoid them. Not bloody likely! The main feedback I have got can be summarised by saying thanks for a breath of fresh air, at least they know I am accessible and will respond. They are frightened to post because of certain posters.

I'm getting my hands dirty. This forum is still the biggest Saints forum by a long way. From the outside looking in, it is well respected, and the media look at it frequently. I know, I worked in it until recently.

Some people say why, I say why not!!

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

That is an absolute croc St F and that has p*ssed me off. Save viewing time! You lost me, mate.

If you read things (did you do that, or did you save your viewing time) there is no mandate for change based on the poll result. That has been said.

You clearly haven't read the Mod Forum lately, evertonfc. I gave you the benefit of the doubt, but you don't have a problem making a comment on this thread. So you should read the whole story.

I would normally PM this but I will not tolerate crap from posters or other mods.

Apart from a contribution from dcstkfc, I have spent hours per day moderating, mainly with no help from anyone.

So don't start with the saving of time argument, you are way off the mark, and please name me and dcstkfc, St.F. The fact is that no one else is moderating at the moment.

Well....

I noticed that you have omitted or just selected some of my post and I did state a couple of times IMO...

I stand by my opinion and don't appreciate my opinions being labelled as "crock" :roll:
Say what you think, St F.

I highlighted the parts of your quote for that reason, because not all of your comment is incorrect.

I repeat-the merging of forums had nothing to do with saving time.

I repeat-the poll result does not constitute any change, that is on the thread.

If the word croc or crock offends you, I apologise.

I will then say that those comments that I isolated are both incorrect.
Last edited by Milan Faletic on Fri 09 Jul 2010 9:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

This thread encourages opinion, so people should be able to express it good bad or otherwise (IMO)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:This thread encourages opinion, so people should be able to express it good bad or otherwise (IMO)
Rubbish.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Interesting that a Mark Williams thread on the Fan Forum got 12 posts and a Mark Williams thread on the Opposition Forum got 3 posts.

My opinion is that if a story is big enough like Mark Williams, I don't see any harm if it is on the Fan Forum.

Not all opposition stories have to be on the Fan Forum, just the big ones and then once then have done their dash, we can move it to the Opp Forum.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:This thread encourages opinion, so people should be able to express it good bad or otherwise (IMO)
I agree, and I am entitled to defend myself when someone makes a call that the "new mods" are trying to save time by merging forums which is totally untrue.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Rubbish.
Nice try Plugger :wink:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

yes, i think merge them.

If it is about football it concerns St Kilda ... and if you don't want to buy into the topic, just don't read it.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Of course they should be merged but if the topic is a pathetic one it should be moved to the general forum. Imagine if Carlton were over the salary cap. On the other footy forum at the moment there would be about one page written on it but if it was on the main footy forum there would be 20 pages on it. Have one footy forum and just move boring topics on other clubs. Not hard to see which topics are boring after a few hours.
That is pretty much how I feel.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:yes, i think merge them.

If it is about football it concerns St Kilda ... and if you don't want to buy into the topic, just don't read it.
Onya carl.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Of course they should be merged but if the topic is a pathetic one it should be moved to the general forum. Imagine if Carlton were over the salary cap. On the other footy forum at the moment there would be about one page written on it but if it was on the main footy forum there would be 20 pages on it. Have one footy forum and just move boring topics on other clubs. Not hard to see which topics are boring after a few hours.
don't even bother moving them. if they are not interesting they move themselves off the main page pretty quickly.

the forumites decide what is interesting and what is not, which is as it should be.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:
don't even bother moving them. if they are not interesting they move themselves off the main page pretty quickly.

the forumites decide what is interesting and what is not, which is as it should be.
My thoughts exactly.

And if a ridiculous thread is posted then the mods move it at their discretion.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

You need to read the Mod Forum, evertonfc. You should read the whole story.

Apart from a contribution from dcstkfc, I have spent hours per day moderating, mainly with no help from anyone.

Well....

I have retracted that statement and apologise for that, St F.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

This poll is too constricting. It suggests that the only options are to keep things as they are or nuke the unpopular forum. Bringing the opposition forum back because it's unpopular seems strange to me. If people really cared, they'd go there. Flooding the main board with unpopular topics isn't going to make this board better. So why do it? If we want to make that board better, why not just do that?

I'd be more in favour of expanding the scope of the opposition board. Change it to a general footy board and move discussions on the state of the game over there - even if they involve the Saints. You could potentially even have the VFL discussion there. I think that would be a much more popular board than one that's completely redundant once you've discovered BF.

I'm sure others could come up with other, better ideas. Another idea would be to have an on-field and off-field board. I'm sure if people were asked, rather than told, they could come up with better ideas than the two offered here - the status quo and the way things used to be. I say vote 'no' and keep the monarchy until somebody comes up with an idea that's an actual improvement.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:This poll is too constricting. It suggests that the only options are to keep things as they are or nuke the unpopular forum. Bringing the opposition forum back because it's unpopular seems strange to me. If people really cared, they'd go there. Flooding the main board with unpopular topics isn't going to make this board better. So why do it? If we want to make that board better, why not just do that?

I'd be more in favour of expanding the scope of the opposition board. Change it to a general footy board and move discussions on the state of the game over there - even if they involve the Saints. You could potentially even have the VFL discussion there. I think that would be a much more popular board than one that's completely redundant once you've discovered BF.

I'm sure others could come up with other, better ideas. Another idea would be to have an on-field and off-field board. I'm sure if people were asked, rather than told, they could come up with better ideas than the two offered here - the status quo and the way things used to be. I say vote 'no' and keep the monarchy until somebody comes up with an idea that's an actual improvement.
Good feedback, VS. As said before the poll does not automatically mandate change. The feedback is just as important.

The poll will be up for the rest of this week.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

For anyone who hasn't picked up on it..........I think Milan wants them merged. Sometimes you need to read between the lines as he doesn't really writes what he thinks! :wink: :lol: :wink:

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Just as a comparison..Puntroadend has the following forums...and all of them have been posted in today

I sispect that have a lot more active mods/admin than us to keep all that under control and make sure the right topics are in the right forums
I kind of like the idea of an Introduction Forum, where you have to say Hi before getting full access..would keep the trolls away.
I also suspect their Forum software is a lot more sophisticated than ours. They can merge threads for instance

WELCOME TO PUNTROADEND & POSTER INTRODUCTIONS
Please read the Posting Guidelines and Registration Agreement and introduce yourself and meet other PREnders

DYER-TRIBE
Discuss the Mighty Tigers, AFL, and anything football related.
Child Boards: JUNIOR FOOTBALLERS, RUMOUR FILE, WHAT THE JOURNOS
SAY RICHMOND OFF FIELD DISCUSSION

AGM, Elections, EGM, Petitions, Member Forum meetings etc.
Child Boards: RICHMOND INTERSTATE & SUPPORTER GROUPS

BLAST FROM THE PAST
Share footy memories and discuss articles from the archives.

COBURG & VFL NEWS
Keep up to date with Coburg's season.
Child Boards: REGIONAL LEAGUES

PLAYER & TEAM REVIEWS AND PREVIEWS
Read and discuss reviews of the team and players. Also the players contract list.

GENERAL
GENERAL TALK
Non footy related talk. Other sports, music, movies etc.
Child Boards: TIGER CUB CORNER, AFL DREAM TEAM, FANTASY TRADE WEEK, MEMORABILIA and CLASSIFIEDS, RACE, RELIGION & POLITICS

GAME FOR A LAUGH
A lighter look at the football world. Parodies, jokes, poetry, skits etc.

SUGGESTIONS & TECHNICAL SUPPORT
Seek a solution to technical problems. Share tips or offer positive suggestions for improving the

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote:For anyone who hasn't picked up on it..........I think Milan wants them merged. Sometimes you need to read between the lines as he doesn't really writes what he thinks! :wink: :lol: :wink:
Interesting observation, ILH. Maybe I do, maybe I don't. :wink:

One thing I have said is that if a story is newsworthy enough, like the sacking of a coach, Cousins, Carey or big AFL news, it should be worthy of the Fan Forum. The mods and the posters' feedback can combine common sense and we can move it if warranted. A lot of non Saints news has relevance to St Kilda, like Ricky Nixon who did play for us and has managed Roo.

However, if there is an obvious thread that is a troll or rant about another club, we can use our discretion and move it.

My opinion is to just make the site as interesting as possible for everyone. So feedback is just as important as the vote, and the vote is not the mandate for any changes or non changes.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Just as a comparison..Puntroadend has the following forums...and all of them have been posted in today

I sispect that have a lot more active mods/admin than us to keep all that under control and make sure the right topics are in the right forumsI kind of like the idea of an Introduction Forum, where you have to say Hi before getting full access..would keep the trolls away.
I also suspect their Forum software is a lot more sophisticated than ours. They can merge threads for instance

WELCOME TO PUNTROADEND & POSTER INTRODUCTIONS
Please read the Posting Guidelines and Registration Agreement and introduce yourself and meet other PREnders

DYER-TRIBE
Discuss the Mighty Tigers, AFL, and anything football related.
Child Boards: JUNIOR FOOTBALLERS, RUMOUR FILE, WHAT THE JOURNOS
SAY RICHMOND OFF FIELD DISCUSSION

AGM, Elections, EGM, Petitions, Member Forum meetings etc.
Child Boards: RICHMOND INTERSTATE & SUPPORTER GROUPS

BLAST FROM THE PAST
Share footy memories and discuss articles from the archives.

COBURG & VFL NEWS
Keep up to date with Coburg's season.
Child Boards: REGIONAL LEAGUES

PLAYER & TEAM REVIEWS AND PREVIEWS
Read and discuss reviews of the team and players. Also the players contract list.

GENERAL
GENERAL TALK
Non footy related talk. Other sports, music, movies etc.
Child Boards: TIGER CUB CORNER, AFL DREAM TEAM, FANTASY TRADE WEEK, MEMORABILIA and CLASSIFIEDS, RACE, RELIGION & POLITICS

GAME FOR A LAUGH
A lighter look at the football world. Parodies, jokes, poetry, skits etc.

SUGGESTIONS & TECHNICAL SUPPORT
Seek a solution to technical problems. Share tips or offer positive suggestions for improving the
Great feedback, s66au. :wink:

The quote in bold and italics above is the key for the mods. Two mods are away in South Africa at the moment.

At the same time we have had two new mods including myself who have been thrown in to the deep end very recently, and during the M&M Police saga as well as the Baker stuff and Roo coming back.

Once we get our full complement of mods back we can all discuss the feedback. There may be no changes at all. It's what is best for the forum that is most important.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
evertonfc wrote:I thought we went through this argument ages ago?

Saintsational board is for St Kilda-related topics.

Opposition board is for topics relating to other clubs.

General board is for non-footy related subjects.

It's not hard to grasp.
Yeah, agreed...

with posters leaving or not posting for some time, one would think their job is made easier in any case....

I was hoping for an extra one that includes all sports, but it looks like we are going for less....

But I believe it would be a bad decision and my thoughts are to have more threads than less...

Yes, we need some improvement here, but deleting boards and joining them instead of creating extra boards is not the way to go IMO
Get rid of the Opp forum.

It's always been a waste of time Fid, and you know that.

Glad to see a debate and poll on it.

IF the Opp forum had a bit more traffic, then by all means keep it.

But it's had a few years in operation now, with little to show.

So why not merge it?

If we do merge it, it should mean only about a 20% increase in posts on the main forum - hardly causing too much clutter which it was orginally intended to prevent by creating the new forum.

I reckon another idea would be a trial, for say 3 months, of removing the Opp forum, and then reassess.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Interesting that neither the Carlton or Essendon boards have General OR Opposition Forums....just a Forum for Club discussion. Collingwoods on the other hand has about 20 different Forums

IMO the only way combining the two Forums would work would be to upgrade the software to allow mods to merge threads. That way if a huge story breaks, either Saints-related (eg Lovett/Milne/etc etc)or general football (eg Carey, Cousins,sacked coach etc) the discussion can be kept to a single thread. Even with the two Forums now, still-important "other" topics slip off the front page of the Saints forum when a big story breaks because of some posters' obsession with having to start their own thread just in case noone reads what they have to say cos its on page 5 of an existing thread. Locking the duplicate threads only partially cleans up the mess

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor