Mal Brown - What was he thinking?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Patrick Smith in today's Australian.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 5881099270

Yep.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
markp
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Patrick Smith in today's Australian.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 5881099270

Yep.
Brilliant.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

good on him if it was really bright and it was said"put black shirts on the white guys so we can see them.... this wouldnt be news :) this would be acceptable

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/idi ... 5882951149

Bolt on the real racists.

I didn't know that Brown once paid $7500 anonymously to help his mate Maurice Rioli out of his gambling debts.

Bolt is correct. Idiots yes, racists no.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/idi ... 5882951149

I didn't know that Brown once paid $7500 anonymously to help his mate Maurice Rioli out of his gambling debts.

Racist comment. Yes.

markp
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/idi ... 5882951149

Whether any of them are racist or not is irrelevant... who cares?

What they said was totally unacceptable, and they deserve everything they got.

But, just because someone does something for a black person does not prove or disprove anything... it's like the old cliche "some of my best friends are... "

And Andrew Bolt is a fictitious persona created many years ago by a very intelligent and ambitious person of the same name... he has created a highly lucrative little niche for himself providing comfort, rationalisation, and justification for the ignorant views of stupid people (not that I'm calling you stupid, bigcarl!)... this was relayed in not so many words to a (gobsmacked) friend of mine by the man himself several years ago... along with the fact that he does not believe half the things he writes.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

markp has it ever dawned on you that andrew was taking the piss?

and re mal brown (and smith and bolt) - the day words (stupid, evil, ignorant, kind, intelligent, whatever) speak louder than actions we'll know our society has wandered off the path somewhat. we're all so quick to condem nowadays, rather than give the benefit of the doubt.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
markp
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:markp has it ever dawned on you that andrew was taking the piss?

and re mal brown (and smith and bolt) - the day words (stupid, evil, ignorant, kind, intelligent, whatever) speak louder than actions we'll know our society has wandered off the path somewhat. we're all so quick to condem nowadays, rather than give the benefit of the doubt.
'Was' taking the p!ss??... or may have been?

The person he told is an intelligent and accomplished lawyer, and as she was actually there, I'll trust her judgement on the matter.

Re your second point... do you really think a person who donates money or time to a person or people of a certain race automatically proves they cannot possibly hold racist views?

Really??

And how or why the hell do you give such language the 'benefit of the doubt'?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Whether any of them are racist or not is irrelevant ... who cares?
of course it is relevant. it is the whole crux of the matter.

as for bolt, he may not believe half the things he writes but he justifies his arguments extremely well.

brown's was just a bad attempt at humour that i'm sure he regrets, but it has blown over pretty quickly, hasn't it.

there are now more pressing concerns.

SaintTom
Club Player

I think it is completely relevant whether or not he is a racist person or not. His comment was surely wrong, however people take offence to it because they choose to. If they actually look at the character of the person who says it, and the tone with which it is said, anyone can see he is not a racist, and is not in itself prejudiced.

In our society, people often use vaguely insulting words to describe people whom they are fond of. Like talking about your friend 'Oh you know that idiot too?' This is an example of that, unfortunately for Mal, he's chosen an inappropriate way of expressing it. He should know that saying that is not socially acceptable, and that some people would take offence.

However all of the aboriginal, or black people I know in general, choose not to be offended by remarks such as this. It's whether or not you choose to be a victim, or just accept offhand comments like this for what they are.

Mal Brown, poor judgement. However, overall I think it's a result of political correctness and societal sensitivity gone too far.

markp
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
markp wrote:Whether any of them are racist or not is irrelevant ... who cares?
of course it is relevant. it is the whole crux of the matter.

as for bolt, he may not believe half the things he writes but he justifies his arguments extremely well.

brown's was just a bad attempt at humour that i'm sure he regrets, but it has blown over pretty quickly, hasn't it.

there are now more pressing concerns.
The 'crux' is the acceptability of what was said.

Proving whether they (or anyone) are racist or not may be difficult, and totally pointless... in itself it's not a crime, though you'd think it must be very rare indeed going by how many people actually admit to it.

But I dont recall anyone at any stage suggesting Mal or Dipper should be flogged or sent to jail.

So what unjust price have they been forced to pay for saying these stupid and racist things?
Last edited by markp on Wed 23 Jun 2010 12:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

SaintTom wrote:
However all of the aboriginal, or black people I know in general, choose not to be offended by remarks such as this. It's whether or not you choose to be a victim, or just accept offhand comments like this for what they are.
Maybe not in Toorak Tom, but I can assure you that out here in the outer suburbs, it is as accepted as calling an afro-american a nigger.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
SaintTom
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote:
SaintTom wrote:
Maybe not in Toorak Tom, but I can assure you that out here in the outer suburbs, it is as accepted as calling an afro-american a nigger.
I said in my post that what Mal said was unacceptable, he should have known people would take offence to it. What I'm saying is that people should learn when people are trying to be offensive and when they aren't, and political correctness in many occasions goes too far.

I would not have said what Mal did, and I would tell anyone that it is the wrong thing to say. However I think people should be able to say what they want with their INTENT being what they are judged on, and not necessarily what they said verbatim. I'm obviously the only one who thinks it, and that's fine.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

SaintTom wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
SaintTom wrote:
I said in my post that what Mal said was unacceptable, he should have known people would take offence to it. What I'm saying is that people should learn when people are trying to be offensive and when they aren't, and political correctness in many occasions goes too far.

I would not have said what Mal did, and I would tell anyone that it is the wrong thing to say. However I think people should be able to say what they want with their INTENT being what they are judged on, and not necessarily what they said verbatim. I'm obviously the only one who thinks it, and that's fine.
Apart from the people who were there on the night, (and some of them were offended obviously), the only reporting we have is the written word.

And that word is offensive.

Simple lesson for Mal.... if you don't mean it, don't say it.....

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
desertsaint wrote:markp has it ever dawned on you that andrew was taking the piss?

The person he told is an intelligent and accomplished lawyer, and as she was actually there, I'll trust her judgement on the matter
I'll believe you: nobody could seriously believe some of the stuff Bolt writes. And stirring up the more po-faced members of the soft, middle-class left has provided good sport for shock jocks and tabloid tub-thumpers for many years. You don't have to be terribly right-wing to derive enjoyment from doing it. Try these sorts of comments out at your next dinner party in a terrace house and see what reaction you get.

"Women in senior management positions are often more ruthless and
abusive than males (especially to women subordinates)."

"Given how much money it costs to get on a boat, boat people are less often people fleeing from oppression than former oppressors fleeing retribution."

"The money spent on services for Aborigines should be distributed among all of them annually with an expectation that in future they would make decisions about what services they want purchase."

"Nuclear energy is the best solution to climate change."

it's all good clean fun IMO.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SaintTom wrote:However I think people should be able to say what they want with their INTENT being what they are judged on, and not necessarily what they said verbatim. I'm obviously the only one who thinks it, and that's fine.
agree.

markp
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: I'll believe you: nobody could seriously believe some of the stuff Bolt writes.
Correct!

Or more to the point, nobody as intelligent as Bolt could believe everything he writes.

Same goes for Mitchell, our own rodgerfox... and perhaps even your good self! :wink:

Akerman and Jones on the other hand... yikes.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:

The person he told is an intelligent and accomplished lawyer, and as she was actually there, I'll trust her judgement on the matter.

Re your second point... do you really think a person who donates money or time to a person or people of a certain race automatically proves they cannot possibly hold racist views?

Really??

And how or why the hell do you give such language the 'benefit of the doubt'?
it doesn't but it does give them the benefit of the doubt - what have you ever done for the indigenous?
honestly i see so many city people come up to the desert with all grand ideas and best intentions and diplomatic language - but it never translates
to anything. rather see action than words and so would any of the impoverished and lost.
so go and slag a man on a stupid joke and not post a word of a compliment on his positive actions.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "