Ross Lyon needs to go NOW !!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintsfan
Club Player

Like life, s*** happens and it is up to the strong willed and determined to make the best of a poor situation and soemhow get bigger, stronger and better for the negative experience.

Judge others on how they handle the poorer situations and not how they handle the positive ones.

We botched it however Geelong were and still are a damn good football team.

Only at St.Kilda will we look for reasons why and how we lost a Grand Final without looking at the scoreboard.

The Saintsfan Cometh
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:But you reckon a team that won 1 flag, then lost 1, then should have lost another bar atrocious goal kicking by us - is one of the best sides for years??

Spare me.
RF, in amongst the numerous comments you've made, you may have some reasonable points (not that I necessarily agree with them).

But if you're going to try to downgrade Geelong's achievements & abilities over the three years from 2007-2009 then there is a very good chance people will be entitled to question whether you are on medication.

Make any other point you wish, but as much as it pains me to say it, Geelong has been one of the best sides in years. :roll:
Geelong have won 2 flags in 3 years.

They clearly are, the best team in years. This is a statistical fact.

However, they shouldn't be. If not for us stuffing it, they'd be statistically a choking team that gravely underachieved.

The GF in 09 was the unlosable one. In hindsight of course.

We blew it. How anyone can argue that is beyond me.

In response to the loser Saints fans on here who seem to think we are wonderful for coming 2nd to the best side in years, and that we did and are still doing everything perfectly - you're a disgrace.

Sadly, it is you that typifies this club and it's deplorable history.

Here's an idea - let's unfurl the runners up flag at our next home game? We'll get a Ross Lyon statue put up at Frankston with a plaque that reads 'Didn't win the flag - but he's better than GT so we're all happy'.

How about we get replica little runner-up cups made for all the loser Saints fans out there who think what we did last year was great? Cause according to you, Geelong are so fantastic we were really quite fortunate to even be allowed on the same ground as them.

Now back to reality. We were beaten effectively by 1 goal. We had players selected who barely touched the ball.
We had players miss goals that Mr. Magic could even kick. Well, Ok let's not go nuts. I'll rephrase - We had players who missed goals that my grandmother could kick.

Lyon has admitted there were things he'd do differently. He conceded there were mistakes made (I know that must be very hard for some of you to read).

We. Blew. It.

That just cannot be argued. What also cannot be argued - is that most of the factors that led to us losing the unlosable game, were within our own control.

Fair dinkum, Saints supporters make me sick sometimes. Such losers.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Fair dinkum, Saints supporters make me sick sometimes. Such losers.
Rodger, you seem quite emotional about all this. :shock:

Just one thing - don't confuse happiness with how the Saints are going with happiness we almost, but didn't, win the flag.

Having lived through the dark years I for one am very comfortable with how the team is travelling these days. But am I happy we got within a goal or so of beating Geelong?
Sh.t no!!!

However if a Flag is a non-negotiable requirement for enjoying life as a footy supporter then only 1/16 of all supporters can be happy at any one time.

I don't like those odds and prefer to remain upbeat, unless of course the club really stuffs up. And in my opinion, nothing in the last few years, and particularly on the last Saturday of September 2009, falls into that category.

GO SAINTS!!!!!!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
All except RF of course. :shock:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

Just one thing - don't confuse happiness with how the Saints are going with happiness we almost, but didn't, win the flag.

However if a Flag is a non-negotiable requirement for enjoying life as a footy supporter then only 1/16 of all supporters can be happy at any one time.

GO SAINTS!!!!!!
Like you I would geatly relish a flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But like you it is not the sole focus of my enjoyment of beinga Saints fan.

My pleasure has many facets. A flag would no doubt be the shiniest of the lot. But there are many things to enjoy...

Like CJ working to becoming player..

A Milney snap

Roo on the lead

A Hayes shimmy..

Catching up with mates for game...

etc etc....

I have been attending games for 30 years and have had a lot of enjoment...and some bad moments too.
last year wasa good year...not perfect..buta good year none the less.

Give me a flag yes...but give me the Saints.

GO SAINTS!!!

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I've had the ups and downs of following the Saints...i need a flag before i depart this mortal coil....sooner rather than later.... :lol:

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Saintsfan
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:But you reckon a team that won 1 flag, then lost 1, then should have lost another bar atrocious goal kicking by us - is one of the best sides for years??

Spare me.
RF, in amongst the numerous comments you've made, you may have some reasonable points (not that I necessarily agree with them).

But if you're going to try to downgrade Geelong's achievements & abilities over the three years from 2007-2009 then there is a very good chance people will be entitled to question whether you are on medication.

Make any other point you wish, but as much as it pains me to say it, Geelong has been one of the best sides in years. :roll:
Geelong have won 2 flags in 3 years.

They clearly are, the best team in years. This is a statistical fact.

However, they shouldn't be. If not for us stuffing it, they'd be statistically a choking team that gravely underachieved.

The GF in 09 was the unlosable one. In hindsight of course.

We blew it. How anyone can argue that is beyond me.

In response to the loser Saints fans on here who seem to think we are wonderful for coming 2nd to the best side in years, and that we did and are still doing everything perfectly - you're a disgrace.

Sadly, it is you that typifies this club and it's deplorable history.

Here's an idea - let's unfurl the runners up flag at our next home game? We'll get a Ross Lyon statue put up at Frankston with a plaque that reads 'Didn't win the flag - but he's better than GT so we're all happy'.

How about we get replica little runner-up cups made for all the loser Saints fans out there who think what we did last year was great? Cause according to you, Geelong are so fantastic we were really quite fortunate to even be allowed on the same ground as them.

Now back to reality. We were beaten effectively by 1 goal. We had players selected who barely touched the ball.
We had players miss goals that Mr. Magic could even kick. Well, Ok let's not go nuts. I'll rephrase - We had players who missed goals that my grandmother could kick.

Lyon has admitted there were things he'd do differently. He conceded there were mistakes made (I know that must be very hard for some of you to read).

We. Blew. It.

That just cannot be argued. What also cannot be argued - is that most of the factors that led to us losing the unlosable game, were within our own control.

Pretty much hit the proverbial nail on the proverbial head right there

Yey we finished second. That means the year after we start from second...horah

The Saintsfan Cometh
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

On a positive, we finished runners up after finishing first at the end of the home and away season in '65 and '97, so we have 50/50 chance of repeating '66 this season.

35...LEGEND
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:[

We. Blew. It.

In we, do you really mean he, as in Ross ?....as you have stated previously..

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Unloseable Grand Final :D

I lol'ed

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bigred
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Unloseable Grand Final :D

I lol'ed
So did I...

WTF are you talking about Rodger.

Seriously. What, Geelong won the unwinnable Grand Final?

What a load of codswallop.

busso mick
Club Player

bigred wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Unloseable Grand Final :D

I lol'ed
So did I...

WTF are you talking about Rodger.

Seriously. What, Geelong won the unwinnable Grand Final?

What a load of codswallop.
A year after losing the unloseable GF against the Hawks :!:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
meher baba wrote:rf, you would be arguing a good game if you'd stop trying to suggest that our 2009 GF loss was due to poor coaching. You are the only person on the face of the earth who believes this.
I'm not suggesting that at all. There were some glaring errors from the coaches box leading up to, and during the GF. But it's not the reason we lost the GF.

Selection was a reason.
Tactical decisions late in the game were a reason.
Mentally fragile players, that we already knew were mentally fragile on the big stage, failed to deliver.
We missed goals.
Bad umpiring.
Injuries were a reason.
Raph's pace being exploited by Byrnes in the last quarter was a reason, with no response from us.
And bad luck was a reason.

Fact is, as stated on here, if "Ross Lyon got us to a GF", then surely he is just as responsible for what happened in the GF.

Or does the coach get credit for "getting us to a GF" when we win (and not the players), but if we lose the players wear the blame?

Some perspective would be nice, that's all.
I actually thought we lost the GF by 12 points but after after reading all reasons I must have been dreaming. What was the final margin? 60 points or more?
We blew it big time. It took all of that (and most of it was within our own control) for us to lose that game.

It was the unlosable flag - and we lost it.
Unlosable. Against one of the best sides for years.
What f***en frogshyt that is.

Ottens was underdone.
Johnson was on one leg.
We'd beaten already them during the year.
They'd been rolled by the 'worst' Premiership team ever the year before.

Had we beaten Geelong (which we definately should have) they'd be spoken about right now as the biggest underachievers and chokers ever - not one of the best teams ever.

So according to so many on here, the only reason we lost was because we missed goals.

But you reckon a team that won 1 flag, then lost 1, then should have lost another bar atrocious goal kicking by us - is one of the best sides for years??

Spare me.

What a typical f***en piiss weak St Kilda cop out. Ohhhh poor us.

We blew it. It was absolutely there for the taking, and we stuffed it.
I'll go easy, because it's obvious you feel this acutely.

Lot's of 'we' in your posts, and one day I'd like a PM from you if you wouldn't mind divulging the number you, or someone close to you wore for the Saints?

Anyways.

Nobody is disputing your opinions regarding selection, fragile players....as that is you're opinion, and you have every right to express it.

However you cannot seriously be talking down Geelong as an opponent?

I'm afraid you're not going to get many people agreeing with you on that one Rodger, and if you're worried that it's a rose coloured view, canvas the greater footy public for some honest feedback.

You are letting something blind you, just not sure what it is :?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda is the first team in 25 years to not win the Grand Final after leading at three quarter time.

We are the first team EVER to lose after leading at every change.

No team has EVER lost the Grand Final after winning 20 straight games during the season.

We had 16 more Inside 50s. 16 for f***s sake!

We had 22 more Tackles. 22!!

We had 3 more shots at goal.

We lost.

We blew it.

No team in the history of the game has ever lost the Grand Final from the position we were in.

No. Team. Ever.

EVER.

We blew it. It was the 'unlosable' game. It has never, ever before in the history of the game happened.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
What f***en frogshyt that is..
Interesting obsevation given your rebuttal :roll:
rodgerfox wrote: Ottens was underdone..
King had done a shoulder and played injured.
rodgerfox wrote:Johnson was on one leg..
So was Roo who was injured at training.
rodgerfox wrote:We'd beaten already them during the year..
Yes by a massive 6 points :roll:

The Cats had also beaten us in 2008
rodgerfox wrote: They'd been rolled by the 'worst' Premiership team ever the year before.

The Hawks by any statistical measure had a very good 2008. Also by observation they played very well in 2008.They also seriously thumpeed us in the PF that year.

Can't be bothered going back through a century of GF Winner but surely the two Crow flags woud have to up there as the Crows only won what 13/14 H&A games?

Anyone who did not rate the Cats in 2009 as being a very tough opponent is seriously kidding themselves.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 08 May 2010 11:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: The Hawks by any statistical measure had a very good 2008. Also by observation they played very well in 2008.
So did we in 2009.

And we blew it. Hawthorn won.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:St Kilda is the first team in 25 years to not win the Grand Final after leading at three quarter time.

We are the first team EVER to lose after leading at every change.

No team has EVER lost the Grand Final after winning 20 straight games during the season.

We lost.

We blew it.

No team in the history of the game has ever lost the Grand Final from the position we were in.

No. Team. Ever.

EVER.

We blew it. It was the 'unlosable' game. It has never, ever before in the history of the game happened.
We?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote: The Hawks by any statistical measure had a very good 2008. Also by observation they played very well in 2008.
So did we in 2009.

We??

I thought your theory was that Lyon blew it?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
So did we in 2009.

We??

??

Why would you think that? Have you read a single word that I've said?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

Sounds like great evidence that Lyon did his bit as the coach. Well done.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
So did we in 2009.

We??

??

Why would you think that? Have you read a single word that I've said?
If only you had been playing, you would have found yourself in the right position, it was a particular talent of yours?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Sounds like great evidence that Lyon did his bit as the coach. Well done.
If that's all the coach is paid to do, then yeah he did a brilliant job.

The problem is that even the biggest dip shiit on the planet knows that the head coach is responsible for a lot more than just these areas.

Legendary
Club Player

I agree rodgerfox, we did blow a golden opportunity and it will hurt for years to come.

Winning one this year would go 90% of the way to appeasing last year, but it will always stand out as a failure.

Personally not interested in attributing blame yet, I trust that the club as a whole learnt from mistakes that were made and won't be repeating them this year ... if they do repeat mistakes then we can start to point the finger, but IMO they deserve a chance to make up for it ...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

The problem for SrR ... 'all we need is a coach with a Plan B to win a flag'. .
This a 100% lie as I never stated this.

I am aware of another posted that did. But I NEVER did.

Indeed my posts at the time (both pre and post GT) were specific and detailed and lsted quite a number of criteria including lack of a Plan B, but also detailing MANY other issues.

rodgerfox wrote: Which oddly changed very quickly in 2007 to 'GT ruined the list' and some other beauties once it was realised the 2006 ramblings were nonsense.

Another outright lie Rodger.

Like remember after the WC GF when I pointed out (before the media ever did) the sheer number of rookies in their team, and the sheer lack in the St Kilda Team. I remmber your rubbishing of my post at the time. Notice the additional rookies in the St Kilda seniors now.

I posted we needed two ruckman...notice King and Gardiner?

I posted we needed more pace in the midfield...notice Gram, CJ and Joey (and coach you has tried to recruit even more pace).

I posted about our bad realtionship with Casey hurting player developement......notice how good this is now and how St Kilda gets to play it's players where it wishes to with Sandi.

I posted that Lyon's number 1 challenge would be getting committment and workrate out of the playing list = pretty well spot on to me.

I posted that we needed different gameplans = self-evident now

I posted about St Kilda;s poor listmanagement and player conditioning = self-evident now.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:I agree rodgerfox, we did blow a golden opportunity and it will hurt for years to come.

Winning one this year would go 90% of the way to appeasing last year, but it will always stand out as a failure.

Personally not interested in attributing blame yet, I trust that the club as a whole learnt from mistakes that were made and won't be repeating them this year ... if they do repeat mistakes then we can start to point the finger, but IMO they deserve a chance to make up for it ...
No one is denying that the St Kilda FC did not blow what was a winning position in the GF.

However most people do not sheet this home to Lyon.