Who makes way for Kosi?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:
bergholt wrote:
spert wrote:If I was picking a side on form this year, Kosi wouldn't get selected, and if you want a big bloke with goal sense at full forward, then McEvoy is a better bet. I would run Kosi in the Sandy team until he starts to impose himself on games like he used to, but maybe he can't any more.
still light years ahead of mcevoy. big mac will be a very good player one day, but he was pretty anonymous in every senior game so far this year. while he's a good mark, kosi's still stronger and better in a contested situation. big mac is a ruckman.
Brogan would kill McEvoy ATM. McEvoy too light and not skilful enough yet
Light isnt Bens problem as all. He wouldnt want to get any heavier. Strength is a big issue though as is his jumping ability.
He looks light the way he gets thrashed around by bigger rucks. He bounces off.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I love big Ben, but wasn't he dropped because of form? It's nice to hear he played well in Sandy, perhaps the pressure of expectation weighed a little.

rexy
SS Life Member

I agree that light is not his issue, think the strength thing is partly due to age, partly confidence and partly due to strength in his legs. IMO the area that will develop further will be strength in his legs and this will give confidence him confidence to launch into and att his opponents and use his considerable size and weight to advantage. Also probably fair to say that the more times his body gets hit the less it will hurt.

Anyone remember the way in 97 98 Loewe used to launch himself into opposition ruckman at the start of games and just physically wear them out and then let Everitt come on and jump over them and palm down to our midfield. Very physically taxing position is the ruck.

Maybe this year?
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Ben has fined down since last year which makes him more mobile. Seems to have lost the puppy fat.

Strength will come and he is on the right track. I have ultimate faith in our strength and conditioning team.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
rexy
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:Ben has fined down since last year which makes him more mobile. Seems to have lost the puppy fat.

Strength will come and he is on the right track. I have ultimate faith in our strength and conditioning team.
Spot on, in the last decade we seem to have been a lot better at getting players to the right size for AFL footy. Might also be due to good recruiting but guys like Roo, BJ, Gramm, Joey and Dal, have balked up lite frames. Guys like Schneider as 1 example have thinned down to be better runners. We seem to have a good handle on conditioning our guys to the right size for their position and the style of game being played.

Maybe this year?
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Ben has fined down since last year which makes him more mobile. Seems to have lost the puppy fat.

Spot on, in the last decade we seem to have been a lot better at getting players to the right size for AFL footy. Might also be due to good recruiting but guys like Roo, BJ, Gramm, Joey and Dal, have balked up lite frames. Guys like Schneider as 1 example have thinned down to be better runners. We seem to have a good handle on conditioning our guys to the right size for their position and the style of game being played.

Goddard was actually bulked up enormously one year.
I think he may have even tipped 100kg.

The new coaches and conditioning staff put greater emphasis on endurance so we could run more and last out games better. Body shapes of some have changed as a result.

Guys with big tanks (note the only desired quality though) found favour...ie Blake , Eddy....while others such as Armo have had to enlarge their tank.

Endurance is not the only thing desired though...hard bodies as well for the constant tackling and contested work. One reason that more mature players have found favour.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....